Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Space Games' started by DarkUnderlord, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected

Sweet. Now to wait for the 20+ "essential" mods I cna't live without to get ported.

^ Top  
  2. Drax Arcane

Drax
    While you wait you can fish on the coast. Make a boat or something.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    god damn i just got properly into kerbal.

I once gave it a spin for 15 minutes and quickly turned it off claiming it is some crap but hot damn that game is deep like a fuck.

I thought it is all about lego creating some ship and take it on orbit but now i read about it and it is waaaay about more stuff and looks more like space engine than just some lego game.

My kind of autism !

I have now ton of things to figure out. Especially about mods. I saw people screeshots and game in them looks nothing like i am playing. Same with gameplay stuff. Shitload of stuff that seems fun

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. EG Nullified

EG
    Hmm. Has been two years. Wonder how the tech tree's improved.

[​IMG]

Always fun seeing how far you get with basic ships.

^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    DRAMA: http://www.develop-online.net/news/...am-studio-for-high-crunch-and-low-pay/0220059

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.destructoid.com/former-k...dio-for-poor-pay-and-crunch-time-359507.phtml

https://dm.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...veloper_behind_kerbal_space/d2uidc6?context=3

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    this is the moment where kwan realizes that there are places on earth where people don't earn 100k a year for game dev job and to earn something you actually need to be worth something to company you are getting hired at.

"On reddit, r4m0n, a prominent modder in the community who has had significant amounts of contact with Squad, listed multiple problems at the company, including long crunch hours, poor pay, rushed releases to fit the marketing department’s whims, and poor communication between the studio and its community moderators. Meanwhile, former developer NovaSilisko said that, for the 10-11 months they were there as an intern, they were paid a grand total of $2,700, after fees."

I signed something ! They had gun on my head and i had to work for them ! AS INTERN !

article was probably written by someone who wears shoes made by someone for less than a dollar a day.

^ Top  
  8. ThisNameIsFree Learned

ThisNameIsFree
    The point of hiring from Mexico is to pay them much less actually. If you don't like it - don't work here. Maybe they raise salary after this.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    This explains why there are still no athmospheres.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Drax Arcane

Drax
    People being mad at mexicans for offering foreign workers shitty working conditions.
    DAT perspective.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    But 200$ a month? c'mon

Also the main criticism was that people were fired all the time and money not reinvested.

^ Top  
  12. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  13. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Not surprising news given the update rushing and some history.

But I honestly sense butthurt from PDTv. Out of the people he mentioned, only one person was a developer (and he mostly did server stuff), the rest were all community-management related. Skunky was ill-suited for the job, there were good reasons to fire him, he was a PR disaster waiting to happen considering how he told people to shove it on official squad streams.

However I would not be surprised if NovaSilisko and C7 (Chad Jenkins, now working on Universe Sandbox AFAIK) left for the given reasons. Nova's departure was shrouded in mystery, which implies a lot.

Then you have Claira and Artyom (Bac9), two modders put on payroll 2 or three months apart, disappearing from it rather quickly. With Bac9 it is known he got a job somewhere in Russia, which is why he left Squad. Money and working conditions were likely the cause.

Yeah 200$ a month is laughable, it appears I could hire two squad devs out of my salary and still have enough to live on it seems (if I opted to go into full student "rent a room with 4 other people" mode).

And at the same time the company owners who bankrolled the development are raking in major cash for their own projects.

They could have kept Bac9 aboard but he found a better job at a Russian company it seems. How hard can it be to pay a russian 3d artist decently? The guy is brilliant. They still have Mike (Mu) on board, which leads me to believe they're actually paying him decently. The guy is good, risking losing such a programmer is idiotic. Artists seem to be mostly getting the shaft.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    I imagine it's easier to find starving artists capable of emulating the fairly simple animations and geometry in ksp, than programmers with a lot of experience working with custom physics engines.

Shame, really. I guess it's a good thing I keep separate vanilla and modded installs. In another 2-3 hotfixes time, I can freeze my 1.1.x folder and not bother with future updates until they have had time to mature.

And yeah.. $200/month? I should hire 2-3 SQUAD people to do my work for me.

In happier news, Bac9 (B9 aerospace and several of the ksp 3d modules) is working on a totally sweet looking hybrid of x-com and mechwarrior now.

[Edit]

link:
    http://tetragonworks.com/
    https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=54424.0

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Him and C7 judging by the email link at the bottom. :incline:

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    ^ Top  
  16. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Ok bought the game from steam.

Is it me or this game crashes like motherfucker ? I mean after hour or two i get crash from random things.

^ Top  
  17. Drax Arcane

Drax
    It has some lovely allahu ahkbar moments when it just wants to blow up, yes. More if you mod it.
    You get used to it and it becomes just another part of the game's difficulty.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. vean Scholar

vean
    It varies a lot with versions and hardware it's on. Sometimes you can load a thousand mods and it's perfectly stable. Other times vanilla crashes every 10 minutes.

^ Top  
  19. Data4 Arcane

Data4
    It used to run awesomely in Linux. Now, since 1.1, it crashes Gnome about 50% of the time. I've basically shelved it for now. Was getting bored with it anyway.

^ Top  
  20. Data4 Arcane

Data4
    Yeah, I tried it again recently and found that if I run it full screen, it doesn't crash. It doesn't like windowed mode in Mint for some reason.

^ Top  
  21. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. EG Nullified

EG
    We're boned.

^ Top  
  23. Drax Arcane

Drax
    Fuck, felipe is out?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Wouldn't you? You do overtime, lovingly craft the game of your dreams and some dolts use all the money for their pet projects while your talented artists and designers see jack shit.

At this point it is safe to say the guy earned himself some serious rep in the game industry and probably got a way better gig. After 5 years he was probably tired as well.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.