Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter: GhostControl Inc. - A Ghostbusters RPG

Morkar Left

Just saw this: GhostControl Inc.

There are only 7 days left and It doesn't look like it was already mentioned on the codex. It seems to be an unofficial Ghostbusters RPG/strategy/management mix with turnbased combat which looks very promising. Hire your team members, build/upgrade/buy your equipment, get a better office, compete with other ai ghosthunter teams etc.

You get already a copy at 8 £.

a1117785976afb683f8821e76cdd9543_large.jpg

f8321288ff2eb2bba70cd8d8dc288c25_large.jpg

Germans probably know this guy already...

cc38797d22beccb60dd6c45229a62764_large.jpg

And it's made by a bunch of nerds which I consider a good thing:

d850fb39a14870ff7a6e0d568044c797_large.jpg

ColCol

Arcane
Look interesting. Though, it looks little too lighthearted for something dealing with ghosts.

deuxhero

Arcane
Yeah, that's my biggest issue. Maybe better graphics will happen if they get funding.

I don't really donate to kickstarters (I had enough trust for Obisidian to be willing to donate to them, but then I found out I had to go through a middleman to actually give money), but I hope these guys do well. There are much worse combinations of iconic pop culture icons and video games genres possible than "Ghostbusters+X-Com". I'll buy a copy if it's good, then remember even if it's good I'm terrible at the strategic aspects of tactical games and fail horribly.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Look interesting. Though, it looks little too lighthearted for something dealing with ghosts.

Man, yeah, there are some topics which you shouldn't joke about. You should have seen my face when I first saw Count Duckula.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Why is there a child's bedroom?

Because some people have children living in their houses???
I don't know...it's cut off from the rest of the house. That's rather odd.

Actually the entire house is fucking weird, the door frames are like 5 times wider than the walls, people apparently eat standing, the sofa and the tv are beside each other, there's no chair on the desk, a fire extinguisher is being used as decoration in the hall...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Looks awesome. Especially digging the artstyle. Perhaps something to do with loving this version of Ghostbusters as a wee lad.

72264d1202516779-classic-commodore-64-game-remakes-freeware-downloads-ghostbusters2.jpg

Too late to toss them some dough now. Will buy it when it turns out to be a fun game.

In fact, the game really looks a lot like that older Ghostbusters one. Nice.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture

Actually the entire house is fucking weird, the door frames are like 5 times wider than the walls, people apparently eat standing, the sofa and the tv are beside each other, there's no chair on the desk, a fire extinguisher is being used as decoration in the hall...

Oh, the layout is definitely creepy; I imagine a more middle-class variation on this:
photo-bad-boy-bubby-1695-4.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir

i see like three doors leading to the kids room?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

What's wrong with you Excidium? :D This is the wierdest thing to complain when it comes to the quality of the game. Will you complain about the cure of cancer if the pill is not the colour you want?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I was just commenting on how the level is setup, it's probably procedurally generated or something because a human brain wouldn't produce a house like that.

Morkar Left

I backed the game but had no time to play it (not even to download it). Will probably try at the weekend.

EDIT:

Ok, here are some very short impressions by hardly playing the game half an hour:

- you start in your first headquarter with your starting char. You can choose your starting char from an nearly inifinite random collection but no allocating of stats. Your stats seem to improve by use later on. You can hire additional teammembers for an initial fee and a weekly salary (think about JA) and you have to equip every member of your own by providing him gear from a shop you have to drive to.
You start in a limited HQ with a small beatle car. The car has some storage for equipment and allows up to two members to drive in it. Theres an ectoplasma container in the HQ in which you can store the ghosts ectoplasma and sell it from there. Why there even is a store function instead of selling everything right away I have no clue so far. You can even upgrade it for more storage.

- You can only save your game in the HQ btw. and you have to pay rent for the HQ.

- If you're ready you leave the HQ and enter the city (here London). The city map is in real time; you get calls from there and can accept missions. Then you have to drive there by clicking on the hotspot that appears on the map. While driving you spend gas, obviously, which you have to refuel from time to time.
There are other ghosthunters which can solve your mission before you get there which means no money for you of course. Other hotspots are equipment stores, gas stations and the hospital.

- The missions are turnbased. You have 2 Actionpoints you can spend on shooting, walking, open door, switch light, lay trap, take trap. there is line of sight and some destructible terrain. Your typical approach is to search for the ghost, shoot at him which drains his energy (around 3 points for the easy ones so far) and when his energy reaches 0 you lay a trap on his place. The ghosts attack you by draining your sanity. the lower your sanity the higher the risk of the teammember to panick and flee from the mission. If sanity gets to low (0 I think), he will leave forever from your team. If you catch all ghosts you have won the mission and will get your reward minus the dollars for the stuff you or theghosts have damaged. Maybe I didn't notice it properly but I didn't see how you can know how much money you earn in a mission before accepting it.

- There is different equipment available with different qualities (like the chance for a trap to catch a ghost) but I don't know if equipment is different in use.

- So far I miss special abilities like ghosts taking control of your teammembers or instantly paralyze them. Don't know if that exists but there was some ghost with a teleport ability at least.

- I wish you would have to grab and hold the ghosts with your weapon like in the original Ghostbusters instead of just shooting at them. Just shooting feels a bit generic.

- Maybe there is an overall storyline per city because you receive some newspaper with some story info. But I'm not sure if thats leads to anything or is just some easy fluff.

Last edited by a moderator:

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
I'll add that traps can be placed anywhere and ghosts forced into them. Some weapons will push the ghost and some will pull them. Seems like there is potential for this mechanic to introduce some strategy into the capture of ghosts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom