Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
"Gritty cartoon" doesn't instill me with confidence either, sounds like latching on to the "OMG DIS IS SO EMO GRIMDARK!"-trend which I hate.
Everything is better than pedophile-friendly anime chars. Even grimdark, shouting Kratos or those dark faggots from Gears of War.
One thing that came to my mind (besides Wing 1 and 2) when I think "space combat with cartoony graphics" is this:
1280237844-01.jpg

I like that look.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ahahahaha

I just watched that pitch video for the LFG game

ahahahahah

"we just published our first game, a pinball game for iOS"

ahahahahaha

kazgar

Arcane
Anyone notice this yet? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1687497632/h-hour-worlds-elite-0?ref=category

Yet another FPS/Military shooter dev almost fails to get even their goal.
Stretch goals listed up to 2 million, looks like they were planning to get a fair bit more than the listed goal. Hopefully they have a plan for making a game for a couple hundred thousand.
:nocountryforshitposters:

The minimum's just to make the demo so they can take it to a publisher for funding!

1.5 mill to get a finished game.

$15 only gets you the game, doesn't get you the demo.

SCAM

Garm

Learned
I played Takedown like five years ago; but back then they called it Rainbow 6: Vegas. That video literally looks like they ripped a bunch of textures and sounds straight from that game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
More indies who cannot into posting in this thread

I thought you might want to take a look at Dungeonmans, which just put out a new playable preview (along with a Kickstarter). The game is a graphical roguelike game, so it's a very tough dungeon crawler, but it has hilarious humor and a persistent overworld, and lots of potential. Unlike most roguelikes, it has tactical combat and a bunch of abilities, and you can build your own class. If you die, some of the things you did carry over to your next character in the Academy.

The preview build is a pre-alpha version, so there are still some bugs (make sure to read the F1 help and use Spacebar to open the menu), but it's fully playable up to level 12 and has a special preview endboss. You can get it here (make sure you have the XNA binaries installed, you can get them from a link on the page): http://www.dungeonmans.com/?page_id=290

The game's been in development on and off for a few years by a programmer who used to work in AAA games who is going indie. I'm hoping that people who enjoy roguelikes will get a chance to see it. If you do post, it would be awesome if you could post about the kickstarter, too: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike

Kz3r0

Arcane
It's official, Schafer has run out of money:
And now, despite the $3.3 million the game raised on Kickstarter (and the additional $1.2 million Double Fine raised for its second Kickstarter game, Massive Chalice) Broken Age is out of money.

Turns out, even games not developed the traditional publishing route over-budget and over-promise.

“Even though we received much more money from our Kickstarter than we, or anybody anticipated, that didn’t stop me from getting excited and designing a game so big that it would need even more money,” Schafer writes in a letter to backers posted at Gamasutra.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...rst-major-kickstarter-game-runs-out-of-money/

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's official, Schafer has run out of money:
And now, despite the $3.3 million the game raised on Kickstarter (and the additional $1.2 million Double Fine raised for its second Kickstarter game, Massive Chalice) Broken Age is out of money.

Turns out, even games not developed the traditional publishing route over-budget and over-promise.

“Even though we received much more money from our Kickstarter than we, or anybody anticipated, that didn’t stop me from getting excited and designing a game so big that it would need even more money,” Schafer writes in a letter to backers posted at Gamasutra.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...rst-major-kickstarter-game-runs-out-of-money/

Wow, what an idiot. Carries the responsibility as frontrunner of an entire business model on his shoulders, along with a personal responsibility to people who gave him money, and still he can't balance a fucking budget. Not only that, but he still has the fucking balls to push another game on Kickstarter two weeks before he makes this announcement.

Dickhead. Glad I didn't pledge to either of those two games.

This might be "business as usual" as the (expertly written, by the way) article says, but Schäfer must have known he carried an extra responsibility. On a personal level, a better man would have tried extremely hard to make the flagship a good one.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've pledged $15 for this and I don't regret it. I do hope that the Tim finds a way to deliver the final product. However, whether he does succeed won't impact me pledging for future kickstarters. Sure, it will undoubtedly make people realize that even the big projects, with big names attached might fail, and therefore reduce the willingness to pledge. On the other hand, it should help the one launching campaigns to actually use their brains, plan the campaigns AND the development in advance, focus less on stretch goals and actually do the fucking math.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Wow, the Massive Chalice money sure disappeared fast! I guess they had overdrawn everything possible already and were counting on another 3mill+ kickstarter to have enough to actually finish Broken Age, but the paltry million they actually got was only enough to cover outstanding debts. :(

Fargo better fucking deliver a finished Wasteland 2 without any serious delays, or crowdfunding is done for major computer games for the foreseeable future!
:mob:

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It would be also nice if Chris Roberts delivered. So far he got 14,063,936 USD and failure on such massive scale would be a much worse for the kickstarter movement.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Sorry the lack of response to some of the projects signaled, I will try to address them one by one now.

New RPG Kickstarter called Leige - at least it's turn based.
The problem lies in the amount of money requested that puts this project straight in hobby territory, and above all this part:
Liege is being built to feature high definition, hand drawn graphics, and complex, layered environments. You can see the early results of this effort in the in-game screenshots below: subtle lighting and a range of particle effects, layered over richly detailed environments containing proportional, smoothly animated inhabitants.
Such a lengthy and costly process can't be covered by the money they are getting, unless someone will strongly advocate the inclusion of this game in the list I will ignore them.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sorry the lack of response to some of the projects signaled, I will try to address them one by one now.

New RPG Kickstarter called Leige - at least it's turn based.
The problem lies in the amount of money requested that puts this project straight in hobby territory, and above all this part:
Liege is being built to feature high definition, hand drawn graphics, and complex, layered environments. You can see the early results of this effort in the in-game screenshots below: subtle lighting and a range of particle effects, layered over richly detailed environments containing proportional, smoothly animated inhabitants.
Such a lengthy and costly process can't be covered by the money they are getting, unless someone will strongly advocate the inclusion of this game in the list I will ignore them.
It is hobby level - one man team and each game will be ~10 hours. But I like the art style. Yes it's hand drawn, but I believe the art style allows cheap graphics. They have some videos on their Greenlight page

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom