Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
i am very upset that there are more knights than slots at the round table because i dislike the idea of parting with any of these valiant dudes
There is a mod that fixes this. I got most of them.

Harthwain

Magister
i am very upset that there are more knights than slots at the round table because i dislike the idea of parting with any of these valiant dudes
Yeah. I don't like how it works too.

1) Even if you keep them as Aspirants and then decide to use them in your Round Table they won't level up, meaning it will take them forever to catch up via the Training Grounds.

2) If you discard anyone who is already part of your Round Table, they will be lost forever.

Shaki

Arbiter

1) Even if you keep them as Aspirants and then decide to use them in your Round Table they won't level up, meaning it will take them forever to catch up via the Training Grounds.

2) If you discard anyone who is already part of your Round Table, they will be lost forever.
"I like C&C in RPGs, unless it's about actual choices with gameplay consequences, and not just completely irrelevant dialogue fluff like in Disco Elysium"

Harthwain

Magister
"I like C&C in RPGs, unless it's about actual choices with gameplay consequences
The spots for the Round Table should be free. It's not like you gain much from that alone, gameplay-wise. You still have to take knights with you on missions or put them in the Training Grounds, which also means committing limited resources there (to open more spots and to train them). But, hey, let's pretend like it's a good idea, because some idiots think it's some sort of C&C™ when you're pretty much forced to dump resources just to keep your knights relevant in the game.

Shaki

Arbiter
"I like C&C in RPGs, unless it's about actual choices with gameplay consequences
The spots for the Round Table should be free. It's not like you gain much from that alone, gameplay-wise. You still have to take knights with you on missions or put them in the Training Grounds, which also means committing limited resources there (to open more spots and to train them). But, hey, let's pretend like it's a good idea, because some idiots think it's some sort of C&C™ when you're pretty much forced to dump resources just to keep your knights relevant in the game.
"I need to have every single companion, every item, and be able to access every piece of content in a single playthrough otherwise I'll cry"

You consistently favour every single line of thought that led to the decline of modern RPGs. No wonder you're a Disco fanboy.

Devs limited knights you can have on purpose, this is also why the game has a morality chart that gives unique knights for different alignments, the systems work together to force you to make decisions and commit to a specific playstyle on a playthrough. This is a fundamental design decision which the whole game is built around.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Yeah, I think I preferred the way it was resolved in King Arthur 1. You still had only 12 spots at the Round Table, but could recruit more knights than that, however the non-tablers wouldn't have access to all the bonuses from the Round Table, meaning they were useful only as hero units in armies, more or less. With all the options and variables available in Camelot in Knight's Tale, I'm sure something like this would have been possible as well.

Returning from Sir Tegyr's mission with Tristan at 10 vitality and with 2 injuries sure made it easier to consider having him lost (HOHO) forever in favour of Tegyr tbh :troll:

It's too bad that the dudes are removed from the game instead of kicked backed to the aspirant queue. Though frankly the more I think about it, the more it feels like juggling all of them back and forth would ultimately be kind of... pointless? It's just that the monke brain goes haywire at the thought of parting with the toys it was given.

Also, some of those missions in act 2 are real meatgrinders. I wish there was a body count provided at the final debriefing because I'd really like to see how many of these fuckers I whacked in Sir Brunor's quest or during the first confrontation with the Fisher King.

Harthwain

Magister
"I need to have every single companion, every item, and be able to access every piece of content in a single playthrough otherwise I'll cry"
Nice strawman fallacy. I can do it too:

"I am too stupid to grasp the point someone else has made, so I will make up some dumb shit up"
Shame on you.

You consistently favour every single line of thought that led to the decline of modern RPGs. No wonder you're a Disco fanboy.
:retarded:

I am totally not surprised you're a Disco hater. That explains a lot. Although I have no clue what Disco Elysium has to do with this game.

Devs limited knights you can have on purpose, this is also why the game has a morality chart that gives unique knights for different alignments, the systems work together to force you to make decisions and commit to a specific playstyle on a playthrough. This is a fundamental design decision which the whole game is built around.

The problem isn't that there is a set maximum of knights you can have or that some are locked behind certain alignments, so why the fuck are you bringing that up? My point was that keeping knights as Aspirants is not worth it long term, because you can't make them catch up without having them sit on the training bench (which is something you already have to do with any "active" knight, if you want to keep them all at relatively similar level to be able to beat missions with them).

And discarding knights means you can't revisit these knights later, which creates needless competition for spots early on. You might try to sell it as "hard choices and consequences™" and another reason to replay the game more, but I think it would be nice to have more options open in a TACTICAL GAME (and the choices aren't really that hard. They just hit certain heroes more than others). Especially early on when you're still figuring out which knights you want and which ones you don't based on their playstyle. Just because developers did things certain way doesn't mean it's the only right way and it can't be critiqued or changed for the better.

But "muuuuuh CnC™!!101!0 :cry:", right?

It's too bad that the dudes are removed from the game instead of kicked backed to the aspirant queue. Though frankly the more I think about it, the more it feels like juggling all of them back and forth would ultimately be kind of... pointless? It's just that the monke brain goes haywire at the thought of parting with the toys it was given.
I didn't even intend to go as far as to allow ALL knights to be usable. But you can make 12 Round Table spots open from the very beginning. Then you can also introduce an option in the Training Grounds where you can level up any knight to the maxium level in one mission time. BAM! Problem solved.

Shaki

Arbiter
The problem isn't that there is a set maximum of knights you can have or that some are locked behind certain alignments, so why the fuck are you bringing that up? My point was that keeping knights as Aspirants is not worth it long term, because you can't make them catch up without having them sit on the training bench (which is something you already have to do with any "active" knight, if you want to keep them all at relatively similar level to be able to beat missions with them).

And discarding knights means you can't revisit these knights later, which creates needless competition for spots early on. You might try to sell it as "hard choices and consequences™" and another reason to replay the game more, but I think it would be nice to have more options open in a TACTICAL GAME (and the choices aren't really that hard. They just hit certain heroes more than others). Especially early on when you're still figuring out which knights you want and which ones you don't based on their playstyle. Just because developers did things certain way doesn't mean it's the only right way and it can't be critiqued or changed for the better.

But "muuuuuh CnC™!!101!0 :cry:", right?

I'm bringing alignments up, because they're part of the same design philosophy. You're supposed to craft your roster of 12 knights, that's it, whole game is designed around it, you have to CHOOSE between different ones. Retards like you start with whining "Buuuuuut mommy I want to play with ALL knights!", then ofc if you would get your wish, since the game is not built around it, it'd be impossible to actually do anything with these knights since they all would be stuck at low levels and you wouldn't have enough good items to support them all, so you would start whining about that too, and step after step we'll keep streamlining the game, removing choices, until the gameplay completely evaporates, and we're left with a visual novel like your precious Disco, where you can't be butthurt anymore, because you're not actually required to play the game, but just read a shit quality book.

Harthwain

Magister
Retards like you start with whining "Buuuuuut mommy I want to play with ALL knights!"
fakenews.png

Another retarded strawman. Goodbye.

Cael

Arcane
The problem with losing a knight forever is that the knights do not all come at the same time. You tend to end up with your A and B teams already set in stone by the time some of the later knights come along, which means they tend to end up sitting on the Aspirant benches and forgotten. That is not good game design.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Retards like you start with whining "Buuuuuut mommy I want to play with ALL knights!",
LMp7gUG.png

YES

I am the ruler of fucking Avalon.
Name me one single reason why I can't retain all the knights I want.
Is there a lack of chairs on my Misty Isle?
What is that you say, replay value? Would you kindly go and fuck yourself.
There is already the alignment system, as you said yourself, to limit the knights available to you.

Good gods, the decline enablers who defend the stupidest game-design decisions due to simplification, "mah balinse" and gamification of systems
are the reason why we went from fielding teams of 6-8 characters to mere 3-4.
Go play diablo or some shit made for serial replayers and let me assemble all the knights in the realm under my banner.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tfw the mission to find the Excalibur gives me Sir Percivale, and he's so obscenely and face-meltingly gud I immediately start wondering who to kick to make place for him, and then at the end he fucks off on his own knightly quest because I'm not important enough and he has better things to do.

Though frankly I somewhat expected that given his OPness
borealesad.jpg

man this game rocks

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Tfw the mission to find the Excalibur gives me Sir Percivale, and he's so obscenely and face-meltingly gud I immediately start wondering who to kick to make place for him, and then at the end he fucks off on his own knightly quest because I'm not important enough and he has better things to do.

Though frankly I somewhat expected that given his OPness
borealesad.jpg

man this game rocks
:nocountryforshitposters:

https://www.nexusmods.com/kingarthurknightstale/mods/16

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
it only shows that heathen magic is haram and practised by the greatest scumbags and one should only stick with exemplary christians who serve you solely out of the goodness of their heart like the brave sir tegyr who not only protects everyone from ranged damage but also gets an inherent loyalty boost for absolutely no downside

and that's without even mentioning the good sirs balin and ector who even pay you for their service

checkmate pagans

Shaki

Arbiter
Retards like you start with whining "Buuuuuut mommy I want to play with ALL knights!",
LMp7gUG.png

YES

I am the ruler of fucking Avalon.
Name me one single reason why I can't retain all the knights I want.
Is there a lack of chairs on my Misty Isle?
What is that you say, replay value? Would you kindly go and fuck yourself.
There is already the alignment system, as you said yourself, to limit the knights available to you.

Good gods, the decline enablers who defend the stupidest game-design decisions due to simplification, "mah balinse" and gamification of systems
are the reason why we went from fielding teams of 6-8 characters to mere 3-4.
Go play diablo or some shit made for serial replayers and let me assemble all the knights in the realm under my banner.
"But mommy, I'm the ruler of Avalon, why cant I just take all the items from merchants for free?"

Go play Disco like the retard I was talking to, rather than trying to destroy actually decent games.

Parabalus

Arcane

They changed this, you can move a few dudes to aspirants now, and aspirants are maxlevel-2.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
also guinevere -3 loyalty because she's 'disloyal' lmao what a whore
Wait until you see Merlin. He's one disloyal greedy bastard.
Yeah, but at least you can "fix them". Particularly Merlin, just pimp him out and he's good.
The hardest biatch to please is Boudicea.
She's neutral and cares neither for what you do, nor for court titles.

And she's the only best vanguard available for Righteous/Cthulhu.
Bedievere lacks the central vanguard skill and Tegyr-bro does not like it very much when you burn down churches and build cthulhu idols.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom