Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
FFS, I am too dumb to learn how to change difficulty lvl. There's no such option on the world map screen, cannot do this during mission. I must have been missing something.

Options menu -> Gameplay :M

covr

Prophet
Patron
That's what I've tried, difficulty option should be on top of gameplay tab. But I have none. Maybe it's case of resolution scaling, or just a bug. I am able to change difficulty only when starting new campaign.

Harthwain

Magister
That's what I've tried, difficulty option should be on top of gameplay tab. But I have none. Maybe it's case of resolution scaling, or just a bug. I am able to change difficulty only when starting new campaign.
Here:

20231207170053-1.jpg

Edit: If you still can't see it, it could be because you can't change the difficulty for Roguelike mode (it has only one difficulty - hard by default).

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
Here:

20231207170053-1.jpg

Edit: If you still can't see it, it could be because you can't change the difficulty for Roguelike mode (it has only one difficulty - hard by default).
Fuck, your are right, I am on roguelike mode therefore difficulty lvl cannot be changed. I hope game is going to be more challenging later on, but right now is it a smooth sailing, and I am playing sub-optimal builds, I am skipping all jewerly upgrades to items and I am not a powergamer.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Here:

20231207170053-1.jpg

I hope game is going to be more challenging later on

The game gets significantly easier as it goes on. Lack of challenge in late-mid and late-game are its biggest issues. I played on the hardest diff

Parabalus

Arcane
Game does feel easier, they seemingly nerfed all the enemies and encounters alongside the players.

Dunno about the endgame.

Harthwain

Magister
Game does feel easier, they seemingly nerfed all the enemies and encounters alongside the players.

Dunno about the endgame.

Jeez. The last thing this game needed was an enemy nerf
There was a bunch of quests that well really overtuned compared to others (9-12 range, if I remember correctly. Stuff such as White Knight, Morgana le Fay, Sir Damas, etc.). If there was a nerf, then playing on the hardest difficulty is indeed recommended for challenge purposes.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
'You have entered ZE CURSED MIST. Saving is temporarily disabled, your progress is saved automatically.'

Fair enough, I say.

After two fights I have to quit.

Turns out 'automatically' means 'not at all'

0.gif

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
'You have entered ZE CURSED MIST. Saving is temporarily disabled, your progress is saved automatically.'

Fair enough, I say.

After two fights I have to quit.

Turns out 'automatically' means 'not at all'

0.gif

Yeah that one was a bit of a shocker. Fortunately I'm playing on Normal so despite a few hairy moments it was ok, but I can't imagine anyone playing on Very Hard would have a good time with a mission like that that early in the game.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I'm pretty impressed about the AI in this game. It's smart enough to not fall for all the standard tricks and pitfalls, such as 'come on bro here's a juicy tank character juuuust in range for you to move up and slice once, please ignore the guy with a two-hander who can swipe you for -50 hp on the next turn that stands right behind him tho :^)', and it does so very consistently.

Parabalus

Arcane
The changes they made to Camelot and the classes are really good, the new building gives you more control over the items you get.

Removing the endless +AP on kill also made the later battles much tougher.

Marksmen are also much better.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game is awesome! They did everything right! Only developer in existance that actually learns from their past games. ANd their past games RPG systems were always great anyway. 10/10 :5/5:

All glory to Neocore and their future success!.

I have to admist that King Arthur 2 was probably rushed, but this makes up for it in spades. If they could do a enhanced edition of KA2 the world would be perfect, but I'd probably dtill be too busy playing this masterpiece.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I will go right ahead and say that this game is a paragon of system design. I don't remember the last time I played something that had mechanics this well thought-through - you can tell that the team was focused first and foremost on making the combat work. Usually in such games you can easily identify features that could easily be taken out or others that are bandaids put on glaring issues, but here everything just clicks together so organically. I particularly dig the three-form life pool combining vitality, HP and armour. It's also great that this game avoids the pitfalls of most deterministic systems where the fights feel like chess puzzles to arrange and essentially 'pre-win' on turn 1. There are enough unknown/changing variables involved in combat here to make sure that the fights actually play out on a turn-by-turn basis where plans can go wrong and you're forced to adapt to the consequences of failure and unforeseen circumstances on the fly, and all of that is accomplished WITHOUT the cancerous universal death timers and endless deep-striking reinforcements - I cried manly tears of appreciation when I saw that even the bone totems that summon skellington crossbowmen actually explode by themselves after summoning a certain number.

It's obvious to me that the primary objective behind the development of this game was to make sure that everything about the combat works right, with no exceptions or handwaves, and that everything else was 10 priority levels under that. Neocore knew what they set out to accomplish and they did it. This game simply knows what it's about and it sticks to its guns exactly where it matters. Playing something with a focus/vision this clear and well realised is always a true joy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom