Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Paul_cz

Arcane
Eh, FNV and KCD are on equal terms. It's like arguing if Terminator 2 is better or Aliens are better. Asinine discussion.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
So I got in an argument with someone about the maximum number of threads that games can reasonably use. They claimed that with edits to the user.cfg file that Kingdom Come and other Cryengine games can use more than 6 threads and they cited this file on Nexus Mods as an example https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/225?tab=description

Does anyone know if this is legit? Seems like snake oil to me. If it is legit, why isn't the game already using more threads without editing a file? Why wouldn't there be a setting somewhere in the options menu?

Paul_cz

Arcane
I have 8 cores and SMT disabled in BIOS and KCD definitely uses all 8 without any edits, at least judging by the CPU utilization in afterburner.

agris

Arcane
Patron
So I got in an argument with someone about the maximum number of threads that games can reasonably use. They claimed that with edits to the user.cfg file that Kingdom Come and other Cryengine games can use more than 6 threads and they cited this file on Nexus Mods as an example https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/225?tab=description

Does anyone know if this is legit? Seems like snake oil to me. If it is legit, why isn't the game already using more threads without editing a file? Why wouldn't there be a setting somewhere in the options menu?

This is a lot more complicated than I think you appreciate, but the short answer is that: yes, it can use more threads than as-configured out of the box; yes, cry engine 3 is much much more CPU bound than UE4, and because it isn't a hot pile of garbage code-wise (i.e. UNITY) you can actually pretty easily improve how the game assigns and processes threads through the user.cfg.

Why doesn't the game use those threads without editing a file? Well, you don't mean threads, I think you mean CPU cores. And it isn't just about using them, it's about assigning the right core to the right thread. But to answer the question, there's no one size fits all and I'm guessing their configuration worked decently on the largest number of machines, while bogging down the least and avoiding unacceptable edge-case results.

source: I spent too much time editing the config files so that KCD played at good FPS at 2560x1600 on an i5-2500k and AMD R290. But you can do it, with almost every setting at high or ultra, and almost constant 60 fps.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Well, you don't mean threads, I think you mean CPU cores.

No I mean threads. They were claiming 12 threads could be used on cpus with SMT or Hyperthreading
Well your OS handles threading of the CPUs with virtual threads (SMT / HT), but Cry Engine can be told what logical cores can be used, and it supports explicit assignment of cry engine threads on at least 8 logical cores as far as I remember.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm a bit at a loss of what you guys mean by all that, to be honest. What exactly did Henry do worse than the protagonists of other RPGs? Few react to whether you secretly steal everything in game or not, and the "personality" offered is usually just a couple different ways to phrase the same thing ("I will do it for justice" "I will do it for money" "I will do it because I'm a tool" etc.) which the NPC either reacts to very minimally ("Thank you hero" "Don't worry you will be paid" "Get to it, retard" etc.) or, more often than not, ignores it outright. Not to say there aren't great RPGs that do all this and better, but it seems weird to bash the game specifically for something that's basically industry average at this point.

While I don't disagree with much of what you said necessarily, I believe the difference comes from the fact on how you want to play your character. Even if the outcome is the generic "get to it already", in RPG I prefer a choice where I can be greedy, or valiant or dum dum or whatever options the dialogue may allow in the context. It only gets better if the said choice has some underlying mechanic like reputation or the sort, which would make it real RPG experience, but even if not, for sake of character RP (or larp as it's stated here), the choice of many yes and many replies to yes can be appreciated.

Unless it's "I'm gonna help you" "Yes." "I'm gonna help you but kill your son." "Yes" "I'm gonna help you but kill your son, rape your wife and then have you raise my child as yours." "Yes"

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer

CryEngine can handle as many threads as it can request from the OS. It depends on how the code for various subsystem is structured. Our alphas and betas were multicore in theory but mainly single core (or 2 cores? I don't recall it that clearly) in practice. We then invested a lot of effort into making it more multi-threaded.
And as stated above, you can actually force-assing a core to do some job. I remember a performance issue we had back then where one process was forced to use core0 but if you used a specific software in the background the two processes were fighting over it impacting the game's performance.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Pre DLC days (so this may no longer hold true), if the game were CPU bound as it was for a lot of us, taking the main game thread off core 0 helped, as that core did a lot of heavy lifting for Win7 (at least). Tweaking that shit is how I was able to play at 2560x1600 on an i5-2500k and amd 290 with medium to ultra settings and 45+ FPS.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I seek more survival from this game I think

Yeah then HC is definitely the way to go. Too bad you wanna go with archery because one of the best negative traits is Numbskull that prevents you from maxing out all your abilities in the first ten minutes of the game. It's a fantastic pick for a more slow-paced, survivalist, completionist run. Unfortunately it's got one downside - bow goes up so incredibly slowly you'd have to grind it for days to push it over level 10.

As for other negative perks, for a survivalist run Tapeworm is mandatory, to make all the food related mechanics actually matter. Nightmares and Consumption if you want a slightly higher challenge. Avoid Shakes. Everything else is optional.

As for DLCs, I loved all of them. Band of Bastards and Amorous Adventures are technically just sidequest (very entertaining tho), From the Ashes is about building your own village and Woman's Lot are two sidequest (both fantastic) plus a dog. So it depends what you want from the game.

Oh and if you're going HC you don't need any mods. I'd especially advise against the "save anywhere" mod, it's bad enough on Normal but it'd completely ruin your HC run.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sounds like sleep walking can be fun without knowing your position on the map

As I said before, for me it was fun the first few times. After 100+ hours in the game tho it's just annoying. But some other ppl ITT love it so whatever rocks your boat.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just bought the final 3 DLCs I was lacking during the GOG summer sale. Time for my second, ultimate, playthrough.

SlamDunk

Arcane
I started another round of unmodded KCD from the beginning on Hardcore more. I was happily henrying along when the game crashed to desktop. That reminded me why I stopped playing KCD a year ago.

Such brilliance tarnished by lackluster quality assurance...

EDIT: I'll add that I've played the game for nearly 300 hours and it has crashed to desktop many many times.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I started another round of unmodded KCD from the beginning on Hardcore more. I was happily henrying along when the game crashed to desktop. That reminded me why I stopped playing KCD a year ago.

Such brilliance tarnished by lackluster quality assurance...

Time for obligatory "never crashed for me".

What's ever funnier, A LOT of games crash on me lately. From the top of my head Operencia, BT4, Elex or Ashen gave me a headache. I think there's something borked with the new Radeon drivers or maybe a new Winz update broke something but the crashes are real rn.

But for some reason THE most demanding game today didn't crash on me even once in my 200h playthrough, go figure.

SlamDunk

Arcane
cvv

I have it the other way round with KCD being the only game crashing on my AMD/NVIDIA setup. I've had this build for two years now. Nothing overclocked, no overheating issues. It's been a rock-solid ride except for KCD.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I have it the other way round with KCD being the only game crashing on my AMD/NVIDIA setup. I've had this build for two years now. Nothing overclocked, no overheating issues. It's been a rock-solid ride except for KCD.
I have AMD (ryzen 2700X) / nvidia (2080Ti) setup as well and the game crashed for me twice in 200 hour playthrough:

Both times during a cutscene in Woman's Lot when Johanka speaks to the entire town and all the NPCs are in that location. And it crashed in the same part of the cutscene. I found out that the cause was too small windows swap file. I had it set to just 1GB. Once I increased it (iirc to 4GB) it never crashed again.

Morkar Left

The game isn't perfect in everything and needs some tweaks here and there. The only offputting thing for me particularly is combat which isn't nearly as satisfying as it should be (and to some minor degree the minigames for lockpicking and stealing). Overall it's really enjoyable. You can feel some freshness that comes with having a new rpg developer and a new setting. Henry is a naive and sometimes a bit simple guy but is excatly wjat makes him fit so well into this tale. I like him for exactly that reason.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This reminds me that when I began playing KCD I adhered to its mandatory mechanic of saving only when sleeping (or drinking Savior's Schnapps), but it wasn't long until I experienced a crash resulting in an hour of progress lost, at which point I installed a mod allowing free-saving and never looked back. :M An odd decision to include a mechanic that relies on the game being stable.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
it wasn't long until I experienced a crash resulting in an hour of progress lost

I mean crashes are bad, sure, but if you don't save at least every 20-30 minutes it's your own fail. Maybe with the exception of the first few hours, until you get to Uzhitz, L2R and start making your own schnapps which are cheap, easy and quick to brew.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Lock picking would be fine if the lock turned a lot slower. I fucking hate lock picking in this game and use a cheat mod to bypass it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom