Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Started this today now that I got my shiny new RTX 3060. Great so far, although the Cumans speak *modern day Hungarian* for some weird reason... It was kinda hilarious to be chased in the 15th century Bohemian countryside by a bunch of 21th century football hooligans armed with bows ("Gonna off you, dipshit!", "Let's bail outta here", "Fuck this shit" -- this is the rough English equivalent of some of their lines...)

Sadly, I'm having some technical difficulties; I'm running the game from an SSD, plus I have 32 gigs of RAM and an i7 4790k 4.0 GHz CPU, and I was getting audio dropouts quite often with the default install (sometimes could hardly understand the dialog because of this). I tried some tweaked user configs that would supposedly help with streaming issues, to not much avail. In my desperation I moved the audio .pak files to a RAM drive, and symlinked them from the data folder. That seems to have worked, now I'm only getting a few dropouts now and then, but they're not 100% gone...

Did anybody else encounter similar issues with the audio, and more importantly, have found a fix that got rid of the problem completely?

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Sadly, I'm having some technical difficulties; I'm running the game from an SSD, plus I have 32 gigs of RAM and an i7 4790k 4.0 GHz CPU, and I was getting audio dropouts quite often with the default install
KCD is CPU bound. Look up the .ini tweaks to improve threading. Any chance you're still on Win7? My processor is one generation older than yours (I think, i5-2500k), and when I played KCD the Win7 spectre/meltdown software mitigations totally bogged down the game. There's actually a bit of a conspiracy theory that the win7 mitigations were sloppy engineered because a side benefit was it drove sales of new systems. You can find lots of hang-wringing performance tests from the ~2017 period when that was in the news, and the impact on non-hardware mitigated generations of CPUs was profound, up to 30% slower IPC iirc.

TLDR; look into ini tweaks to improve threading, take the main game thread off core 0 which tends to get get bogged down with system events, and look at disabling OS-level spectre/meltdown mitigation. One other thing, you probably know this given your ramdrive and symlink, but with that much ram just set a small fixed size page file that doesn't dynamically scale. 500 mb or so is enough for windows to never bitch.

V17

Educated
Did anybody else encounter similar issues with the audio, and more importantly, have found a fix that got rid of the problem completely?

I did encounter something similar and did find a solution, but it's a stupid solution that nobody sane will like and there's no guarantee it will work for you. Tl;dr: The version on Epic store is slightly different for some reason and didn't have this issue for me, even with a weak-ass CPU.

In my case the issue was a slow CPU, I was playing on a Celeron (don't judge, I'm poor and I got it for free). Since I bought an i7 6700, about as fast as your CPU, I haven't had those problems, which means it might be something else, but in case it isn't:

For me the sound dropouts weren't something like stuttering, but the game failing to load them. When I sprinted with my horse through a town, I could hear the game getting quieter as it gradually stopped loading new environmental sounds, NPC lines etc. Dialogues either took a long time to load or just happened without voices, subtitles only. Inventory sometimes took long to open too and stuttered until the inventory opening sound played. I also had random 1-4 second freezes in towns where the game loaded new chunks, otherwise running at about 20 fps in those places. There were no issues outside of towns.

Using the common fixes like forcing the game to use other cores or to limit the core usage to 95-98% fixed the 1-4 second freezes, but made the sound issue worse and added occasional crashes.

Well, I was playing the Steam Royal Edition, but I also own the basic game for free from Epic store. And I found out that the Epic store version does not have this problem. The fps in bigger towns was even lower, about 15, sometimes dropping down to 8 fps for a second or two when loading new chunks, but the sound worked flawlessly and there were no freezes or crashes. I tried removing all DLCs and repeatedly verifying the data on Steam, turning off Steam overlay etc., tried the GoG version too, but nothing helped. Even though the Epic and Steam/GoG versions have an identical build number, the Epic version is obviously different.

So if you or some friend have the game free from Epic, try it. Unfortunately all the pirated versions are either GoG or Steam as far as I know. I tried sending an email to Warhorse support, but they didn't bother with a reply, so I have no idea what the difference is.

SlamDunk

Arcane
CItISGU.png

Stokowski

Arcane
In p. much all genres except RPGs. In a country where 95% of all gaymers started as PC master race in the 1990s and RPGs were super popular there aren't many notable Czech RPGs. In fact, KCD may be the only one.
czech rpgs:

Knights of the Grail
Asmodeus
Curse of Eriden
Gates of Skeldal
Necromania
Cardhalia
Inquisitor
Numen
Fallout: Resurrection
The Keep
Dex
7 Mages
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Hobo: Tough Life

Not bad, tbh.

Isn't Euro Truck Simulator 2 a CRPG?

ADL

Prophet
Console players need to stop bitching about graphical settings in their games and maybe they'd start getting them again. It's been tried before and it's never a success because it's deemed 'too confusing' and then they're stuck begging for patches every time Sony or Microsoft puts out a new SKU.

Paul_cz

Arcane
TBH Warhorse should pursue nextgen update themselves, if they cannot spare anyone to at the very least move the framerate vsync to 60 instead of 30, ask Saber to do it or any of the other hundred studios at Embracer.

As much as I may dislike consoles, even the poor peasants should be able to experience KCD with 60fps and faster loading.

ferratilis

Magister
The new consoles are more than capable of running this game at 60fps and loading it faster than even most PCs, thanks to DirectStorage. But that would require Warhorse to move devs away from working on KCD2 so, yeah, fuck consoles.

Releasing an update of KCD1 for latest consoles before KCD2 is out seems to me like potentially smart way to raise some more hype for it, but what do I know.. How hard can it really be to raise fps cap and tinker with some graphical settings?

fork

Releasing an update of KCD1 for latest consoles before KCD2 is out seems to me like potentially smart way to raise some more hype for it, but what do I know.. How hard can it really be to raise fps cap and tinker with some graphical settings?

It's not hard. But it's not for the devs to decide, but the suits.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I would venture a guess that getting an external company setup with the right IDE to compile a new console version, assuming easy tweaks are needed to make the patch worth the effort, would cost $50,000 USD west of Russia and north of Turkey, and who the hell knows for the US. Stupid amounts of money.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
KCD is CPU bound. Look up the .ini tweaks to improve threading. Any chance you're still on Win7? My processor is one generation older than yours (I think, i5-2500k), and when I played KCD the Win7 spectre/meltdown software mitigations totally bogged down the game.

Thanks for the suggestions, my CPU load is actually around 60-70% and GPU around 70% with almost everything maxed out. As a last attempt I disabled HD textures and reverted all my config tweaks, and lo and behold, I'm only getting a single audio dropout maybe once every 15 minutes. So the HD textures were the culprit (strange given that the game runs from an SSD), and I don't think I'm losing much by just turning them off.

Another question about the best way to play this for the first time. I started on Hardcore with the "Better Combat and Immersion Compilation" because PorkyThePaladin sounded so damn convincing in this modding thread. I played until the miller's quest about retrieving the ring from the executioner, and while I like the no HUD and quest marker parts a lot, I think the mod has balance issues (e.g. no matter how much I sleep, I can't get my energy back to 100 and I'm always hungry). And on a second thought, it's probably not the best idea for me to make the combat even harder because I suck at action games anyway...

So, I'm thinking to restart on regular Hardcore with the Numbskull and Tapeworm negative perks based on cvv's suggestions, plus a no HUD mod and the sectorial lockpicking mod (I couldn't open the "very easy" chests for the life of me; quite frustrating when you cannot quicksave/quickload).

I really like the idea of the save mechanics, so I'm inclined not to use the "save anywhere" mod. What do you guys think? Is the latest 1.9.6 version stable enough so I won't lose progress? Any other mods that are worth using? (I'm trying to keep it as close to the original as possible in terms of mechanics)

It's up to you. I made suggestions based on my preferences, which worked for me, but obviously everyone is different and wants a different experience.

SlamDunk

Arcane
So the HD textures were the culprit (strange given that the game runs from an SSD), and I don't think I'm losing much by just turning them off.
The culprit could also be audio drivers that need to be reinstalled or updated.

Or audio device conflict: go to Device Manager and, under "Software components" and "Sound, video and game controllers", disable every device you know you are not using.

V17

Educated
As a last attempt I disabled HD textures and reverted all my config tweaks, and lo and behold, I'm only getting a single audio dropout maybe once every 15 minutes. So the HD textures were the culprit (strange given that the game runs from an SSD), and I don't think I'm losing much by just turning them off.

You probably already tried it, but just in case check that you have the HD Sound Pack off as well. I couldn't find what it actually changes anywhere and considering that people mostly say it sounds the same and that Vávra is a bit of an audiophool, I suspect it might literally only be "HD quality" sounds, meaning higher than CD quality bit depth and sample rate. Such a thing brings zero audible improvement, but it enlarges the audio files, making their loading slower. Even if it's something like lossless compression instead of lossy, the chance that it would be audible in-game is almost zero.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I really like the idea of the save mechanics, so I'm inclined not to use the "save anywhere" mod. What do you guys think? Is the latest 1.9.6 version stable enough so I won't lose progress? Any other mods that are worth using? (I'm trying to keep it as close to the original as possible in terms of mechanics)

I played first time on hardcore mode with patch 1.9.2 and had no gamebreaking bug and only lost progress if I forgot to save and died, never more than 15 minutes. It is fine.

I did not have any technical issues with the game though. Audio worked normally all the way through, no crashes either. I had couple quest bugs usually resolvable via save reload and once fell into the ground.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So the HD textures were the culprit (strange given that the game runs from an SSD), and I don't think I'm losing much by just turning them off.
The culprit could also be audio drivers that need to be reinstalled or updated.

Or audio device conflict: go to Device Manager and, under "Software components" and "Sound, video and game controllers", disable every device you know you are not using.

And we have a winner here, it was driver issues.

I have an old external audio interface connected to a Firewire PCI card that I use for audio work on a dual-booted Win7. The driver kinda works under Win10 as well that I use for everyday computing and gaming, but official support is only up to Win 8... Never had a problem with other games or when just listening to music or watching videos, but seems like KCD just puts too much load on the system and the driver shits itself..

So as a test I installed the game on my Win7 OS, and it works flawlessly there with HD everything and graphics set to ultra! Zero audio glitches!

Then I had the brilliant idea to test the onboard Realtek audio under Win10, which I never used before. Lo and behold, it works perfectly with the Realtek.

So that's it, thanks for the tip -- although in my case what helped was enabling a device :) I just need to buy a cable extender so I won't need to crouch under the table every single time when I want to plug in my headphones into the backplate...

SlamDunk

Arcane

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thought it might be of interest for the fans of the gaym - a new historical spectacle about the Hussite Wars, an event KCD is kindda setting the stage for. Jan Žižka was a famous rebel general from that era.

Absolutely no idea if there's any hope for this to be at least decent, I've learned of it literally rn. But it seems they've put a good bundle of money into this, even getting Ben Foster and Micheal Caine. I guess in the post-covid era and empty theaters any paycheck is a good paycheck, even for A-list actors.

Z2FsbGVyeWFsdDIvMjU5Njcw

Z2FsbGVyeWFsdDIvMjM3ODAx

Z2FsbGVyeWFsdDIvMjI1NzM0

Z2FsbGVyeWFsdDIvMjI1NzMz

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Looks like shit, historically speaking. If this were about Vikings they would be wearing horned helmets. We've been cringing at this project for years.
Afaik the director received a lot of accurate advice but he opted for the Game of Thrones-wannabe sans fantasy route.

Aemar

Arcane
Thought it might be of interest for the fans of the gaym - a new historical spectacle about the Hussite Wars, an event KCD is kindda setting the stage for. Jan Žižka was a famous rebel general from that era.

Absolutely no idea if there's any hope for this to be at least decent, I've learned of it literally rn. But it seems they've put a good bundle of money into this, even getting Ben Foster and Micheal Caine. I guess in the post-covid era and empty theaters any paycheck is a good paycheck, even for A-list actors.

Z2FsbGVyeWFsdDIvMjU5Njcw

Z2FsbGVyeWFsdDIvMjM3ODAx

Z2FsbGVyeWFsdDIvMjI1NzM0

Z2FsbGVyeWFsdDIvMjI1NzMz
IIRC the movie was filmed around 2017-2018. It got postponed due to COVID. I could be wrong though.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I resumed my playthrough i put on hold back when it was released.

I have to say the combat is just really shit to be honest. Yeah i get its trying to be realistic and fighting 3 guys at once is supposed to be dangerous, but this game constantly pitches me in fights against multiple enemies. I have sword and defense 18 and i still get my shit pushed in simply because some enemies simply counter every attack i make or draw me into some struggle animation while the others get behind me and tear me a new one. The forced enemy lockon does really not help at all. I rely on luck to get through my master strike or i simply die.

So yeah. Its shit.

There are mods that supposedly fix the combat, but i am not sure i want to trust some autists with that. Anyone here got some experience with any of those?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom