Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty II

Parsifarka

Arcane
Yeah, yeah guys. Only 2D sprites are good, got it.
No, Katauri's 3D King's Bounties look delightful. It's obviously a matter of art direction, which is deficient in the new game; no reason to be obtuse about it.
Just look at the main character: Bill Gilbert and the princess were colorful, full of fairy tale flavor -the new guy looks like some nameless NPC randomly generated by an algorithm.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, yeah guys. Only 2D sprites are good, got it.
No, Katauri's 3D King's Bounties look delightful. It's obviously a matter of art direction, which is deficient in the new game; no reason to be obtuse about it.
Just look at the main character: Bill Gilbert and the princess were colorful, full of fairy tale flavor -the new guy looks like some nameless NPC randomly generated by an algorithm.

The thing is the change in art direction is also a change in overall theme. Katauri 3D King's Bounty is not really a "serious game" in any capacity. It is a very light-hearted romp and that artstyle works. This time around the devs seems to also change themitcally, not only in art direction.

Reinhardt

Arcane
This time around the devs seems to also change themitcally, not only in art direction.
Look at Ascension to the Throne. Even "serious" and with mostly human units game don't need to look bland and boring. Crusader lepers, japanese warrior-monks, half-naked amazons. You can do lots of stuff with humans, not just peasants with different weapons.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This time around the devs seems to also change themitcally, not only in art direction.
Look at Ascension to the Throne. Even "serious" and with mostly human units game don't need to look bland and boring. Crusader lepers, japanese warrior-monks, half-naked amazons. You can do lots of stuff with humans, not just peasants with different weapons.
LoL have you even played that lost gem? The game looks bland as fuck,it is the gameplay and the free exploration that makes it interesting. Also you presume that everything is fucking peasants and shit. And to be honest here,i wouldn't mind if they go for the serious medieval setting. Kingdomcome deliverance is great and fun game. There is no need for everything to be a high magic setting.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Let's just hope for the best, the look and the 4x feel doen't appeal to me, the 4X genre is a shit sandwitch, besides the source inspiration and a few gems but the interview shows at least they know their classics and have an interesting vision.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes. I even replayed Valkyrie 1-2 years ago but couldn't finish it because of bug.
Yeah they are pretty buggy games,tho really fun to go trough. I wasted a month to find a decent version of the first game and then run it without crashing me to the bios.

Nigga, it's fucking KING'S BOUNTY.
Don't see you saying that shit in the BG3 thread,fag :smug:

Banter aside i do agree on this point. But to be honest here,the videos don't show enough to say if its medieval setting or a high magic setting. Thus it is irrelevant argument either way.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Here's a hot take - a game being made by Russians/Slavs isn't automatically good.
Is it? Most the games i have played from the east block are unique and pretty good in themself. They are not popular and have bugs or/and some weird mechanics. But generally are interesting games. i would be interested in some citation about some really bad games.

I don't mean this post as confrontational,initially i was agreeing with you,but then i tried to come up with an example and couldn't.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Most the games i have played from the east block are unique and pretty good in themself.
Nah, it's full of retarded shit too. There is lots of obscure turds, i still have some cds from 10-15 years ago. One of the reasons russian game development is pretty much dead now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Here's a hot take - a game being made by Russians/Slavs isn't automatically good.
Is it? Most the games i have played from the east block are unique and pretty good in themself. They are not popular and have bugs or/and some weird mechanics. But generally are interesting games. i would be interested in some citation about some really bad games.

I don't mean this post as confrontational,initially i was agreeing with you,but then i tried to come up with an example and couldn't.
The popular games are good, sure, but that's why they are popular. I'd say the trend is Europeans make good games (except Ubisoft and even then Rayman Origins and Legends are pretty good), while Americans shit the bed constantly. This one doesn't look good, it looks derivative and unnecessarily following trends. If I had to give an example of a popular game which isn't entirely good - the new Tropicos past 3. They are made by a Bulgarian studio afaik, but they follow the by-now tired formula. The First Templar is also made by Bulgarians and it's not very good.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Most the games i have played from the east block are unique and pretty good in themself.
Nah, it's full of retarded shit too. There is lots of obscure turds, i still have some cds from 10-15 years ago. One of the reasons russian game development is pretty much dead now.
Yeah,but you could hardly call them games. All of the eastern block game industry is obscure shit. There are not many people that know about Planet Alkatrz,i of the dragon,gorky 1,a farewell to dragons,Hard to be a god or White Gold: War in Paradise.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Yeah,but you could hardly call them games. All of the eastern block game industry is obscure shit. There are not many people that know about Planet Alkatrz,i of the dragon,gorky 1,a farewell to dragons,Hard to be a god or White Gold: War in Paradise.
You just listed decent ones. I still remember derogatory term "польский шутер" - fps from potatoland used to describe low effort shitty fps.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The popular games are good, sure, but that's why they are popular. I'd say the trend is Europeans make good games (except Ubisoft and even then Rayman Origins and Legends are pretty good), while Americans shit the bed constantly. This one doesn't look good, it looks derivative and unnecessarily following trends. If I had to give an example of a popular game which isn't entirely good - the new Tropicos past 3. They are made by a Bulgarian studio afaik, but they follow the by-now tired formula. Also, The First Templar is also made by Bulgarians and it's not very good.
LoL no,the tropico is stale,not bad. Also the first Templar is top kek,really enjoyed that game,and i am not big in to that genre. I get to kill kebab with a trebuchet and was happy about it :) . And no,being good doesn't mean you will get popular in the west lol.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You just listed decent ones. I still remember derogatory term "польский шутер" - fps from potatoland used to describe low effort shitty fps.
Yeah,there are shit ones,but they were as much as a game as all the unity asset flips. I am talking about real ones,not half hour effort garbage that was made to scam pirated CD buyers :). Games that had some real effort and passion put in to it were mainly good and original.

Humanophage

Arcane
Almost all of the recent top Codex RPGs are from the Eastern Bloc. Witcher 3, Underrail, ATOM, Pathfinder, Disco Elysium, maybe Kingdom Come. The exceptions are DOS2 which is Belgian, ELEX which is German, and maybe POE2 - all three are in a more tenuous position. The industry seems to be in a decent condition.

That said, this particular game doesn't look good. The cinematic adventure mode is trashy and detracts from the meatier part of the game. Why do this when the success of DOS2 shows that people don't mind isometric conversations even when they're mediocre? Don't pander to the consoles.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Realistic historical setting is always light years more interesting than your retarded crusader lepers and half-naked amazons.

Reinhardt

Arcane
And btw crusader lepers is real history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom