Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Mortmal

Arcane
The problem, as somebody mentioned way earlier in the thread, is that you need to go into the module and change the tokens used by some of the enemies, since the tokens are re-used so much. It's not as simple as just replacing all the tokens.
You could also go the route of finding better art that at the same time looks similar enough to faces/poses/etc. of the originals (like the succubus/beautiful woman issue brought up earlier, if it's a pretty face without horns, sharp ears and red skin, then use some picture of a pretty face without horns and other demonic features). A bigger issue is that humanoid tokens are too fucking gender-ambiguous and I accidentally made some cultist brother a woman because his token wasn't masculine enough.

Also keep square 64x64 art pieces of all tokens as FramedIcons subfolder for dialogue pics is pretty much 99% of the token art except it's square/uncut. Almost all filenames are the same, minus the "-1" size suffix, though there are instances of some files getting a prefix or a suffix, the suffix changing (e.g. commander-1 -> human-commander-alt, or "red" in the name changing to "fire"), and in a few instances the icon getting a completely different name from the token. And a few icons are from tokens that have no 64x versions (like spiders) so it's a bit of additional cropping/resizing. And while at token-replacement, you need to replace vanilla player character art as well, as a few creatures use that instead of the main token folder (even though player tokens are duplicated in the main folder).

Another thing I noticed when making my pack is Pierre made a token for a non-elf from an elf one by zooming the art in a bit so the elf ear is not visible, and cut out characters from the KotC1 cover art to make a few more tokens with them. Trying to squeeze every last bit of art he could.
Unless someone has a better way to automatize this.
XnConvert can do quick multi-step batch/folder edits with everything base XnView can - bulk resizing, cropping, color depth changes (for when you're making square tokens and need to make them 32bit for the game to recognize them), etc; I think you can also do color transparency via importing a mask from a file and then doing some other step but I don't remember what it was.

It's not that time-consuming, either way. Finding the right art will likely take you more time than editing it.

Also someone could try converting Dominions sprites (as tokens). Fairly sure I've seen a complete art rip for modding purposes on either Steam or the fan forums, and there were some D&D-themed nation mods for the previous game versions too. I'll probaly eventually try doing some custom shadows for sprite use (or they could be simply pasted into some token template), but I already wasted enough time on that giant token pack.
Oh finding the art is easy https://thetrove.net/Resources/Programs/Fantasy Grounds/Tokens/ you will find everything to replace kotC2 token just have to spend time renaming and resizing, as some token are 64X64 some 128X128 .

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Slowly getting used to the tools and scripting conventions. I even have a battle set up that the party can choose to fight or flee, the latter selection will send the characters running across the map.

Here's an introductory screen.

iwolU3N.jpg

:hype:

Meanwhile, i might have to revert to 1.01 or wait for 1.03 to overcome a bug freezing the game west from the Green Gob King encounter...

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Meanwhile, i might have to revert to 1.01 or wait for 1.03 to overcome a bug freezing the game west from the Green Gob King encounter...
The frogs in the Goblin King fight used to cause many problems: neverending combat when they swallow whole someone, unlimited attacks for the person swallowed whole, crashes, etc. Wonder if your Druid's domination of the frogs uncovered an unnoticed bug. I'd suggest reloading an earlier save, skipping combat through the Shift+WIN macro and seeing if the game allows you to proceed. If you have no issues, you might have no choice but to repeat the Goblin King fight, but without messing with the frogs this time.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Oh finding the art is easy https://thetrove.net/Resources/Programs/Fantasy Grounds/Tokens/ you will find everything to replace kotC2 token just have to spend time renaming and resizing, as some token are 64X64 some 128X128 .
I didn't mean that it's hard to find art per se, but that you want to select stuff to match the token so it stays ambiguous/relevant for all its uses without wasting much more time to check with the editor/in-game use. But if you're saying the stuff you link is already meeting the criteria for it, then you can probably be done with it in less than an hour.

For different-sized tokens you prepare the 256x256 tokens (you don't have to resize them at this step yet), copy original name (f2 on original file -> ctrl+x or ctrl+c -> esc key + delete key if you put your new file in the same folder -> f2 on your file -> ctrl+v; repetitive but quick once you get going; you could try copy-pasting the image onto vanilla tokens in some image editor/viewer to skip on renaming, but that's probably slower), duplicate the files for each smaller existing token (in Windows, just drag and release them 1-3 times while holding CTRL), use batch renaming program to change copy1, copy2, etc. part of the filename of the new files to size suffixes (I used Bulk Rename Utility), use xnconvert to resize all tokens that are supposed to be 64x64 to 64x64, then same for larger sizes (use Lanczos resampling) - quickest way to select the tokens for that would likely be searching/filtering the folder with tokens for specific size suffixes and throwing all that into the converter.

Like I said, renaming and resizing is quick (you seem to want to use ready tokens so you skip on all the additional cropping and editing out/repainting junk from non-token art that is the time-consuming part (unless you're drawing them yourself from scratch, then that's even more time-consuming)). Making sure the art/token you want to use matches the game's token (so you don't have to account for any unorthodox uses Pierre may have had for it) takes more time than that.

For icons, if you're using round tokens, I guess the fastest way would be to get the unedited token art you used (I'm assuming it's larger than 64x64?) and batch-crop it in xnconvert in one go to 64x64 (either cropping to 64x64, but you then need to also input x/y coordinates where to start cropping, or simply changing page size to 64x64, centered (if initial images are much larger, then instead change the size to whatever fits a square into the border/frame and add a resizing step).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The frogs in the Goblin King fight used to cause many problems: neverending combat when they swallow whole someone, unlimited attacks for the person swallowed whole, crashes, etc. Wonder if your Druid's domination of the frogs uncovered an unnoticed bug. I'd suggest reloading an earlier save, skipping combat through the Shift+WIN macro and seeing if the game allows you to proceed. If you have no issues, you might have no choice but to repeat the Goblin King fight, but without messing with the frogs this time.

Thanks, i'll try it tomorrow or maybe right now...
Actually, one of my dominated frogs swallowed one goblin and threw it up when i mass murdered them along with the gobs with the druid's lightning strikes.

Shift + WIN* macro though ? You mean SHIFT + the Windows key ? Didn't know about the dev's commands (now we know how Pierre completed his game ;) )

The Red Knight

Erudite
Left Shift + W + I + N, pressed simultaneously. Kills enemies and fires death and end-of-fight scripts. It's mentioned/hidden somewhere in the editor controls entry.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Thanks for the tips, just tried it but i still got the freeze along with a "mechanic belt" fast repeating sound effect.

I'll reinstall 1.01 tomorrow and check if it works.

Mortmal

Arcane
I didn't mean that it's hard to find art per se, but that you want to select stuff to match the token so it stays ambiguous/relevant for all its uses without wasting much more time to check with the editor/in-game use. But if you're saying the stuff you link is already meeting the criteria for it, then you can probably be done with it in less than an hour.

For different-sized tokens you prepare the 256x256 tokens (you don't have to resize them at this step yet), copy original name (f2 on original file -> ctrl+x or ctrl+c -> esc key + delete key if you put your new file in the same folder -> f2 on your file -> ctrl+v; repetitive but quick once you get going; you could try copy-pasting the image onto vanilla tokens in some image editor/viewer to skip on renaming, but that's probably slower), duplicate the files for each smaller existing token (in Windows, just drag and release them 1-3 times while holding CTRL), use batch renaming program to change copy1, copy2, etc. part of the filename of the new files to size suffixes (I used Bulk Rename Utility), use xnconvert to resize all tokens that are supposed to be 64x64 to 64x64, then same for larger sizes (use Lanczos resampling) - quickest way to select the tokens for that would likely be searching/filtering the folder with tokens for specific size suffixes and throwing all that into the converter.

Like I said, renaming and resizing is quick (you seem to want to use ready tokens so you skip on all the additional cropping and editing out/repainting junk from non-token art that is the time-consuming part (unless you're drawing them yourself from scratch, then that's even more time-consuming)). Making sure the art/token you want to use matches the game's token (so you don't have to account for any unorthodox uses Pierre may have had for it) takes more time than that.

For icons, if you're using round tokens, I guess the fastest way would be to get the unedited token art you used (I'm assuming it's larger than 64x64?) and batch-crop it in xnconvert in one go to 64x64 (either cropping to 64x64, but you then need to also input x/y coordinates where to start cropping, or simply changing page size to 64x64, centered (if initial images are much larger, then instead change the size to whatever fits a square into the border/frame and add a resizing step).
A little bit more than one hour to replace all of this shit, few hours rather ...Once it's done , just need someone to write a good module, and it will be perfect. It's getting dangerously close remaking the game yourself.Of course will be impossible to sell it, its copyrighted art.

Latro

Arcane
A little bit more than one hour to replace all of this shit, few hours rather ...Once it's done , just need someone to write a good module, and it will be perfect. It's getting dangerously close remaking the game yourself.Of course will be impossible to sell it, its copyrighted art.
that's what God made ASCII for

The Red Knight

Erudite
felipepepe any way to put props on a layer above the tokens (i.e. treetops partially spreading onto walkable tiles that wouldn't be stepped on by characters)? And to import any custom props in the first place, haven't found a way for that yet.
That is, I have this:
5ZrE9c5.png

But want this:
agy0ssW.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You're right, but in that case it's just a matter of using the creature editor (found under the Special menu) to change the tokens when they're being called by a char that doesn't really fit them (like a boss using the same as a monster, we could even add some extra tokens for that). It's rather fast to do, and split between several people it wouldn't demand much of an effort.
While it's true, it would require us to mod the entire module and then host it on Nexus. Two issues with that:

- More than adding pretty art, I think the priority should be improving the difficulty.
- If Pierre does ANY update to the module, like reducing the difficulty or fixing bugs, all our work is lost.

So I'm 100% ok with doing a Codex mod of monster tokens, but I think changing the module right now is a waste of time.

BTW, I already did some custom monster tokens:

0Sawymz.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe any way to put props on a layer above the tokens (i.e. treetops partially spreading onto walkable tiles that wouldn't be stepped on by characters)? And to import any custom props in the first place, haven't found a way for that yet.
That is, I have this:
5ZrE9c5.png

But want this:
agy0ssW.png
To import props, use "Add Activable Objects and Light Particles". It has a drop down menu for images, you can use it to set up a prop of any size.

This is EXTREMELY useful, as it's the only way to add any other fixed art besides the background - and manipulate them. So you could make a bridge fall down by having the background with a broken bridge, then adding a working bridge as Activable Object. Then make a script that hides the object art, and changes the terrain from normal to "low obstacle".

That's also a way to fake a second layer of art... for a house, you would have the background art without a roof, then a roof as Activable object. You would have to make a script that whole under that roof the activable object is hidden.... it's a lot of work. Worth doing for a house or hidden cove, but I wouldn't do it for a single tree :/

EDIT: Here, got it working:

u7obpV0.gif

The most important thing here is that the activable zone does not need to be the same size of the image prop. If you make a huge activable zone, it will display a giant selection circle over it and you won't be able to walk into it. You have to do the opposite: make it as small as possible.

Last edited:

The Red Knight

Erudite
Replacement for the vanilla Graphics\Combat\ActingArrow.png, as it's annoyingly unnoticeable.
M29O79q.png

Moved the arrow 12px upwards and to the left, then flipped it into other corners. Not suitable for non-64x64 party members, I guess.
CSh5GGe.png
2YtfzVg.png

Two alternative versions I haven't tested:
Using the vanilla placement of the upper-left arrow, with flipped additional arrows:
b8cyWGg.png

Using the altered placement of the upper-left arrow, minus the other arrows:
Gpa3JvC.png

Darth Canoli

Arcane
While it's true, it would require us to mod the entire module and then host it on Nexus. Two issues with that:

- More than adding pretty art, I think the priority should be improving the difficulty.

You're the only one getting it, the game has been completed by several people after one week, it's way too easy!

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, if doing the green goblin fight solo, do you get more xp alongside the double gold reward, or is it just gold?
I think you get less XP because you only get the XP for killing the dudes and not the bonus 20 XP for each gray survivor.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In chapter 3, the door puzzle that should be solved through the "letter to his excellency" makes literally zero sense to me. Has someone collected all the puzzles solutions somewhere?

EDIT: okay, I solved it randomly, fine.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I'm still going through chapter 3 and I'm enjoying it a lot more than the first two so far, but probably only because I haven't experienced the inevitable bullshit fights of the chapter yet. There are A LOT of encounters and most of them are fun and engaging. My favorite so far is the dragon one: it's challenging, but not oppressive like some of the worst examples in the first half of the game.

I still haven't found the courage to face the two "traps" where you get the "oh-oh, you fucked up, but I'm a kind person and you get an auto-save" and I'm starting to think that those two areas are going to make me want to kill myself.

Now, for today's question: what's the deal with the horned devil summoned through the Book of Summoning? How are you supposed to take him down? Attacking him physically is a bad idea due to high AC, damage reduction and force damage body defence (what the actual fuck), but he also has spell resistance 28 and high reflexes/fortitude. Should I forge a silver weapon to bypass the DR? I guess I can take him down with two lucky critical hits, but that's dumb.

EDIT: never mind, one lucky critical was enough. "Force" weapons are stupid.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's p.much the only way to get him, I took him out with a combination of that sword from the sharkman and executioner, takes forever for a lucky strike. Hope you've invested in true seeing and true strike.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
That's p.much the only way to get him, I took him out with a combination of that sword from the sharkman and executioner, takes forever for a lucky strike. Hope you've invested in true seeing and true strike.
I didn't use any of that, I just attacked him once with Dragontooth for around 100 damage and then blasted away his remaining hp with spells without SR or TS, like Crystal Shard, Hail of Crystals and Ice Storm.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dragontooth is decent, still not as good as Executioner. Either way you need to land some lucky shots to get him before he ruins your shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom