Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos module now available

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    The green cowards* are no more!
    Fought them with the help of the Greys.
    What really did the trick was the starting position, though, starting south rather than east was a huge advantage, also having Erz and not splitting the party.
    I'm not sure if the party started south because we joined the Greys and they took the eastern spot or because we jumped the chasm without the help of the bird merchant.

I could kill them alone now but the fight is too long and starting east is really painful; too much ground to cover before you can nuke the rangers and shamans, giving them the opportunity to get ready against spells; so it'll have to do.

Also, the Green King is dead, RIP.
    The outcome was undecided after we both threw a version of stinking cloud at each other but the psionicist finished the main alley enemies off and then stunned the King and his guard while the druid dominated the frogs (not very helpful but it bought some time).
    didn't even try to dominate the Scorpion, i wanted too much to split it into two.

BUG/Question
    The game froze three times when i tried to follow the western passage from the Green Goblins King, any tips to circumvent the bug ?

*Funny, when you get through the chasm without talking to the Grey Goblins first, they describe the Greens as cowards using bows while they're berserkers using axes but when you fight with them against the greens, the Greys mostly shoot arrows and use spells ...

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. flabbyjack Arcane

flabbyjack
    Probably in a year. Game needs some balance, polish, and the rest of the classes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Jasede
    You can't solve them all, they are bugged in that they do not answer any answers with a "/" in the string, which happen to be two of the correct answers.
    But if you check the scripts, no, there is no special reward.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. The Red Knight Liturgist

The Red Knight
    You could also go the route of finding better art that at the same time looks similar enough to faces/poses/etc. of the originals (like the succubus/beautiful woman issue brought up earlier, if it's a pretty face without horns, sharp ears and red skin, then use some picture of a pretty face without horns and other demonic features). A bigger issue is that humanoid tokens are too fucking gender-ambiguous and I accidentally made some cultist brother a woman because his token wasn't masculine enough.

Also keep square 64x64 art pieces of all tokens as FramedIcons subfolder for dialogue pics is pretty much 99% of the token art except it's square/uncut. Almost all filenames are the same, minus the "-1" size suffix, though there are instances of some files getting a prefix or a suffix, the suffix changing (e.g. commander-1 -> human-commander-alt, or "red" in the name changing to "fire"), and in a few instances the icon getting a completely different name from the token. And a few icons are from tokens that have no 64x versions (like spiders) so it's a bit of additional cropping/resizing. And while at token-replacement, you need to replace vanilla player character art as well, as a few creatures use that instead of the main token folder (even though player tokens are duplicated in the main folder).

Another thing I noticed when making my pack is Pierre made a token for a non-elf from an elf one by zooming the art in a bit so the elf ear is not visible, and cut out characters from the KotC1 cover art to make a few more tokens with them. Trying to squeeze every last bit of art he could.
    XnConvert can do quick multi-step batch/folder edits with everything base XnView can - bulk resizing, cropping, color depth changes (for when you're making square tokens and need to make them 32bit for the game to recognize them), etc; I think you can also do color transparency via importing a mask from a file and then doing some other step but I don't remember what it was.

It's not that time-consuming, either way. Finding the right art will likely take you more time than editing it.

Also someone could try converting Dominions sprites (as tokens). Fairly sure I've seen a complete art rip for modding purposes on either Steam or the fan forums, and there were some D&D-themed nation mods for the previous game versions too. I'll probaly eventually try doing some custom shadows for sprite use (or they could be simply pasted into some token template), but I already wasted enough time on that giant token pack.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Wow

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Slowly getting used to the tools and scripting conventions. I even have a battle set up that the party can choose to fight or flee, the latter selection will send the characters running across the map.

Here's an introductory screen.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Oh finding the art is easy https://thetrove.net/Resources/Programs/Fantasy Grounds/Tokens/ you will find everything to replace kotC2 token just have to spend time renaming and resizing, as some token are 64X64 some 128X128 .

^ Top  
  8. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    :hype:

Meanwhile, i might have to revert to 1.01 or wait for 1.03 to overcome a bug freezing the game west from the Green Gob King encounter...

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Nryn Arbiter Patron

Nryn
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The frogs in the Goblin King fight used to cause many problems: neverending combat when they swallow whole someone, unlimited attacks for the person swallowed whole, crashes, etc. Wonder if your Druid's domination of the frogs uncovered an unnoticed bug. I'd suggest reloading an earlier save, skipping combat through the Shift+WIN macro and seeing if the game allows you to proceed. If you have no issues, you might have no choice but to repeat the Goblin King fight, but without messing with the frogs this time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. The Red Knight Liturgist

The Red Knight
    I didn't mean that it's hard to find art per se, but that you want to select stuff to match the token so it stays ambiguous/relevant for all its uses without wasting much more time to check with the editor/in-game use. But if you're saying the stuff you link is already meeting the criteria for it, then you can probably be done with it in less than an hour.

For different-sized tokens you prepare the 256x256 tokens (you don't have to resize them at this step yet), copy original name (f2 on original file -> ctrl+x or ctrl+c -> esc key + delete key if you put your new file in the same folder -> f2 on your file -> ctrl+v; repetitive but quick once you get going; you could try copy-pasting the image onto vanilla tokens in some image editor/viewer to skip on renaming, but that's probably slower), duplicate the files for each smaller existing token (in Windows, just drag and release them 1-3 times while holding CTRL), use batch renaming program to change copy1, copy2, etc. part of the filename of the new files to size suffixes (I used Bulk Rename Utility), use xnconvert to resize all tokens that are supposed to be 64x64 to 64x64, then same for larger sizes (use Lanczos resampling) - quickest way to select the tokens for that would likely be searching/filtering the folder with tokens for specific size suffixes and throwing all that into the converter.

Like I said, renaming and resizing is quick (you seem to want to use ready tokens so you skip on all the additional cropping and editing out/repainting junk from non-token art that is the time-consuming part (unless you're drawing them yourself from scratch, then that's even more time-consuming)). Making sure the art/token you want to use matches the game's token (so you don't have to account for any unorthodox uses Pierre may have had for it) takes more time than that.

For icons, if you're using round tokens, I guess the fastest way would be to get the unedited token art you used (I'm assuming it's larger than 64x64?) and batch-crop it in xnconvert in one go to 64x64 (either cropping to 64x64, but you then need to also input x/y coordinates where to start cropping, or simply changing page size to 64x64, centered (if initial images are much larger, then instead change the size to whatever fits a square into the border/frame and add a resizing step).

^ Top  
  11. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    Thanks, i'll try it tomorrow or maybe right now...
    Actually, one of my dominated frogs swallowed one goblin and threw it up when i mass murdered them along with the gobs with the druid's lightning strikes.

Shift + WIN* macro though ? You mean SHIFT + the Windows key ? Didn't know about the dev's commands (now we know how Pierre completed his game ;) )

^ Top  
  12. The Red Knight Liturgist

The Red Knight
    Left Shift + W + I + N, pressed simultaneously. Kills enemies and fires death and end-of-fight scripts. It's mentioned/hidden somewhere in the editor controls entry.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    Thanks for the tips, just tried it but i still got the freeze along with a "mechanic belt" fast repeating sound effect.

I'll reinstall 1.01 tomorrow and check if it works.

^ Top  
  14. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    A little bit more than one hour to replace all of this shit, few hours rather ...Once it's done , just need someone to write a good module, and it will be perfect. It's getting dangerously close remaking the game yourself.Of course will be impossible to sell it, its copyrighted art.

^ Top  
  15. Latro Arcane

Latro
    that's what God made ASCII for

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. The Red Knight Liturgist

The Red Knight
    felipepepe any way to put props on a layer above the tokens (i.e. treetops partially spreading onto walkable tiles that wouldn't be stepped on by characters)? And to import any custom props in the first place, haven't found a way for that yet.
    Show Spoiler
    That is, I have this:
    [​IMG]
    But want this:
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  17. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    While it's true, it would require us to mod the entire module and then host it on Nexus. Two issues with that:

- More than adding pretty art, I think the priority should be improving the difficulty.
    - If Pierre does ANY update to the module, like reducing the difficulty or fixing bugs, all our work is lost.

So I'm 100% ok with doing a Codex mod of monster tokens, but I think changing the module right now is a waste of time.

BTW, I already did some custom monster tokens:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    To import props, use "Add Activable Objects and Light Particles". It has a drop down menu for images, you can use it to set up a prop of any size.

This is EXTREMELY useful, as it's the only way to add any other fixed art besides the background - and manipulate them. So you could make a bridge fall down by having the background with a broken bridge, then adding a working bridge as Activable Object. Then make a script that hides the object art, and changes the terrain from normal to "low obstacle".

That's also a way to fake a second layer of art... for a house, you would have the background art without a roof, then a roof as Activable object. You would have to make a script that whole under that roof the activable object is hidden.... it's a lot of work. Worth doing for a house or hidden cove, but I wouldn't do it for a single tree :/

EDIT: Here, got it working:

[​IMG]

The most important thing here is that the activable zone does not need to be the same size of the image prop. If you make a huge activable zone, it will display a giant selection circle over it and you won't be able to walk into it. You have to do the opposite: make it as small as possible.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. The Red Knight Liturgist

The Red Knight
    Replacement for the vanilla Graphics\Combat\ActingArrow.png, as it's annoyingly unnoticeable.
    [​IMG]
    Moved the arrow 12px upwards and to the left, then flipped it into other corners. Not suitable for non-64x64 party members, I guess.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Two alternative versions I haven't tested:
    Using the vanilla placement of the upper-left arrow, with flipped additional arrows:
    [​IMG]
    Using the altered placement of the upper-left arrow, minus the other arrows:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  20. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    You're the only one getting it, the game has been completed by several people after one week, it's way too easy!

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. The Red Knight Liturgist

The Red Knight
    Some lighting tests
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (alas, you can't get that nice token glow from the last picture in-engine, it seems)

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  22. Iluvcheezcake Arbiter

Iluvcheezcake
    Men, does the armor enchant Bravery I/II stack (if multiple peeps have it)

^ Top  
  23. NJClaw Ontopolover Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    felipepepe, I think it's time for an official "new modules development" thread, otherwise a lot of interesting stuff will inevitably get lost here (tips, experiments, token packs...).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Iluvcheezcake Arbiter

Iluvcheezcake
    Also, if doing the green goblin fight solo, do you get more xp alongside the double gold reward, or is it just gold?

^ Top  
  25. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    I think you get less XP because you only get the XP for killing the dudes and not the bonus 20 XP for each gray survivor.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.