Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Lilliput McHammersmith

Ok I take it back. I was able to get it to work and yeah, this party is WAYYYY better than the first one I made. We just stomped the slime encounter in the oubliette thing. About to see if I can get this minotaur or some other trick.

Also, a word of advice: a Bard is no replacement for a rogue. This is not NWN folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

curds

Magister
Just had first full party wipe, so I'll share some quick thoughts:

I get a CTD every time I try to load a game, so it's basically unplayable for me right now. Not to mention that in it's current state, this is probably the buggiest game I have ever played.

UI is abysmal, especially compared to how clear and user-friendly KotC 1 was. Combat is also quite confusing in my opinion due to the tokens all looking samey.

Having to pay over a thousand gold to level up is the most fucking retarded thing I have ever seen.

I'm sure there's a fantastic game buried somewhere under these issues, character creation is great fun, and the amount of ways you can interact with the world is lovely.

curds

Magister
Also, ability to hide pre-generated characters on the party selection screen (ala ToEE) would be really nice.

Yosharian

Arcane
Get your token pack here

Made with public domain art by John Bauer, Ivan Bilibin, Frank Cadogan Cowper, Fedir Krychevsky, N.C. Wyeth, W. A. Bouguereau, Byam Shaw, Theodor Kittelsen, and Konstantin Vasiliev.
There's a 64 and a 256px folder, the latter in case it might be of use in the future. Take the files on the folder named 64 and paste them on C:\Knights of the Chalice 2\Graphics\Tokens\PlayerCharacter

They all have a golden border to distinguish them from NPCs, made using the site recommended by Dickie
What does this do? Change the look of tokens? Better than default?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
It adds 40 tokens to the pool for you to choose, whether they're better or not than the default is up to you, here are some samples:

token-1.png
token-5.png
token-12.png

token-19.png
token-29.png
token-39.png

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Tips for the starting area:

DO NOT USE Quick save / Quick load at all until it's patched - you will lose all your gold
When you start the game go into the formation menu - if you do not see 6 characters, restart the game!
Save often using normal saves ( Ctrl + S ), game crashes a lot.
Use the TAB key to highlight interactable objects.
Casting spells out of combat will probably crash the game for you, you can still use the autocast on rest for things like mage armor. ( cure wounds works out of combat for me )
Press "A" to use special abilities/items ( like cure domain ) with your leader. Alternatively you can click the green flame icon in your inventory.
You can change the game to be easier on the options menu. ( easy difficulty level - ON )
You can change the game to be harder on the options menu. ( accelerated AI - OFF )
Use your consumables! don't complain the difficulty is too hard because you don't want to use the fireball/deep slumber/web scroll you got.
You can change your feats for free from your latest level, you can exploit this - for example you find a weapon you cant use , change your feat so you can use it and change it back before you level up again or if you find a better weapon , another example: give your druid water affinity just for the pool fight, or fire resistance just for fire fight etc.
To speak to non-hostile NPCs use right click until you get the speech bubble.

First room:
you can search the cobwebs for gold
You can get a gem & a quest from the skeleton ( it has a spirit )
The first fight in this room is against 2 skeletons + 0-2 centipedes , you actually might want to fail the strength check on the portcullis to get 2 centipedes for max XP

Second room:
Do not charge in! you want the cultists thinking they are on your side, that way you can trade with 2 of them. One of them will sell you a superb magical flail for only 200 gold! In addition you can sell your unwanted items for gold, this might be helpful to get some gold for level ups.
The second vendor might look useless ( he has overpriced items ) but he is actually a cleric which means you can pay him for healing or crafting items! there are ingots and gems in these rooms, use him to craft!
The brazier in the middle can be used to blind the cultist ( with a mage ) and make the fight easier, it also has an encounter with fire elementals

Pool room to the right:
Drinking the water here will actually cause 1 character to rest ( it has 6 uses ) - he will be healed, gain his spells back and autocast his spells as if he just rested. I found that even if my fighter is heavily wounded, I'm better off healing him with my cleric and letting the cleric rest than just letting the fighter rest.
If you drag the crocodile fight here, a water elemental will join the fight ( worth it for the extra xp )
Good luck with the optional fight inside the pool with only 2 characters...

* Before going to the chaos pool room you might want to kill the cultists at the first room because when you return here they will attack you with additional enemies. ( so better to do 2 fights than 1 big fight )

Chaos pool room below first pool room:
Drink with all characters, you get a random permanent bonus.
There is a hidden switch on the south torch that will get you a magical weapon.

Cultist room to the left:
Fighting here is optional, you can trick the boss and tell him you will work for him. It doesn't matter if you fight or not in the end you will be teleported to the oubliette/sewers with no items and no option to return to the starting rooms above so make sure you do this last.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Cover me, armed with Rpguy's comments, I am going in...

Edit: everything went well, until my Paladin charged an enemy, crossing a 5d6 fire field on the path and dying to 20 damage. I confess I figured the pathfinding would walk around that automatically.

Last edited:

MrScruffy

Novice
I maxmaxed my party of 6 human females with Cheat Engine (all 18s) and yet the first proper battle still kicked my ass 10 times. I only won it when I used the web scroll to entangle almost all the enemies, then use my cleric's once-a-day blinding light ability to blind them all. And even then it was still tough.

Remember that final optional post-game encounter of KotC1 that really fucking raped you?

The first encounter in KotC2 is like that.

Yeah, this is the good shit.

Not to mention the ridiculous amount of class/race choices during dialog events. I don't think I've seen an RPG before that gave you that many choices based on party composition.

How does this Cheat Engine work? Asking for a friend...;)
Besides, has anyone succeded in editing the characters stats?

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tips for the starting area:
Well, it's good to know I didn't miss anything. I'm wondering if I should sell whatever it takes to the cultists get enough gold to get all my guys to level 3 before doing the boss fight that teleports you. I think you gotta keep that one red gem for a quest, but can you sell the other gems?

Let me also make sure I got all the fights before the oubliette to know I got all the XP. I'll refer to that room with the cultists you can buy stuff from as the "main room."
  • 1-2 skeletons with 0-2 centipedes where you start. I think you get more XP for helping the one skeleton than killing it.
  • fight in main room with 4 cultists, which can be done after buying and crafting, for maximum rewards
  • water pool with 3 crocodiles and 0-1 water elementals. I killed the crocs too fast on my second play and the elemental didn't show up
  • underwater fight with two frogs, a druid, and 2 chumps (never beat this one)
  • hidden staircase next to pool to kill one of the lieutenants and a few goons and get a nice weapon
  • larger fight when you get back into the main room, after getting in a fight with that lieutenant above
  • 5 fire elementals if you take the fire diamond from the brazier in the main room
  • big fight where boss watches you and teleports you afterwards

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I looked at the character generation and broke out into hives. There's so many options. I am dizzy. I am going to need a few... days... to plan my party.

Maybe by then there'll be a patch. (haha there won't)
Consider 2 days for planning the party and a few hours for each character to roll the stats you dreamed of. You won't be getting you shit pushed in for a while. Remember that you can't get perfect stats because it basically uses a random point buy instead of rolling, so you gotta keep rolling until it spends the points how you would've wanted.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
You can craft master work leather and hide armor for a small amount of XP and gold without using an ingot, not sure it's intended because everything else cost 1 steel ingot - even a robe or a club

So basically ingot to make masterwork weapons and armors. Diamonds to enchant them. I am guessing all the other gems could be sold safely but nobody got far enough to let us know.

You can right click a gem and it will tell you if it's used for crafting or simply "valuable" , the gem the ghost gives you mention the ghost on right clicking it.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I am guessing all the other gems could be sold safely but nobody got far enough to let us know.
The red gem you get from the skeleton can be sold, but the journal says you need it for a quest. It didn't fail the quest when I accidentally sold it, but I think I'll keep it. I think you get at least one emerald that's worth around 600 gold.

For me, the game might as well end as soon as you get to the sewer, though, since I can't handle the mimics nor the goblins. Got any pro-tips for that? Maybe some way to get around 7k party XP and a boatload of gold before getting there?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
I am guessing all the other gems could be sold safely but nobody got far enough to let us know.
The red gem you get from the skeleton can be sold, but the journal says you need it for a quest. It didn't fail the quest when I accidentally sold it, but I think I'll keep it. I think you get at least one emerald that's worth around 600 gold.

For me, the game might as well end as soon as you get to the sewer, though, since I can't handle the mimics nor the goblins. Got any pro-tips for that? Maybe some way to get around 7k party XP and a boatload of gold before getting there?

You could try Aberration domain cleric, apparently the summon is OP, especially if you take augment summoning and summoning mastery feats. Makes the pool fight much more beatable.

Lilliput McHammersmith

After getting past the group of centipedes you can convince the first group of monsters (kobolds?) to not attack with multiple skill checks. Then you should go South and there is a Grey Goblin who’s guarding a Portcullis. Talk to him and tell him you will fight the Green Goblins and you’ll get extra XP and rewards from the Goblin fight.

Next, talk to the flying thing by the pit and have it transport you across the pit. (You can actually jump across the pit with a Fighter, but I think it’s bugged because the Goblin dialogue doesn’t trigger for me when I jump.) Once you are across the pit, the Goblins should each try to convince you to join them. Pick whichever group, but you get extra XP if you talked to the Gate Guard beforehand and you join the Grey Goblins. And then the battle begins.

Perhaps I was just lucky, but they raped my party at first, and I had two characters left, each with 1 HP and I just moved them around the map while the goblins attacked each other. In my case, the Grey Goblins absolutely destroyed the Green ones. However, there were only 7 goblins left alive at the end of it, which meant my XP reward was lower than it could have been. Didn’t matter to me because that fight was long and I was not doing it again.

daedalus0

Novice

You could try Aberration domain cleric, apparently the summon is OP, especially if you take augment summoning and summoning mastery feats. Makes the pool fight much more beatable.

The Tentacled Horror summon is *very* helpful indeed. Just make sure your Cleric has high enough Charisma (determines how long this sucker will stay with you)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom