Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I sure hope so, playing KotC was some of the most fun I've had in a game for awhile.

Bara

Arcane
fwiw, Pierre tells me he plans to announce the KS on April 28th.

Any chance he mentioned a gog release also? Did gog snub him after being snubbed originally?

Last I heard he said on his forums that he submitted it for approval.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
by BlueSalamander » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:12 am

Hello all! First of all, my sincere apologies for not updating the forum in the last couple of months. I was just very busy mainly with financial matters and the preparation of more material for the KotC 2 Kickstarter campaign. Also, I was kinda stunned by world events. Fortunately, they didn't affect me much. I hope it's the same for you.

I'll update the Kickstarter page in a short while and should be able to announce the KS dates with a video and mass email on Tuesday.

I've just updated the KotC 2 FAQ webpage. I've added the Kickstarter FAQ at the top. The FAQ contains all of the forms to be sent as part of the Kickstarter, if you're interested, please see how will helping you design the game work.

"Since according to your Kickstarter page the game is supposed to be available for the Backer after the end of the promotion (at least if I understood everything correctly), I wanted to ask which version/what graphic style will finally be available in the game? On Kickstarter the video shows the token style, while the picture on Instagram is more like a sprite style.
Personally I like the Token style better, because it reminds me more of a tabletop version, but the tastes are different"
By default, the game will display tokens only. If you want, you can switch on the option to display the party using the KotC 1 sprites.

"Are you starting this on march as planned?"
To be announced very soon.
icon_e_smile.gif

"you-will-never-know AH! AH! AH! AH! (cavernous)"
Ahaha, that reminds me of Gandalf blocking the Balrog, saying 'You cannot pass....I am a servant of the Secret Fire'

"The PF Kickstarter is over, they raised more than 2mil dollars!"
Amazing, isn't it. Also, Owlcat Games has said that they'll support the KotC 2 KS on their social media.

"Probably you support the Kickstarter campaign and hear nothing from the developer for weeks after the end"
Actually, there's a big difference between not updating the forum for a couple of months BEFORE the Kickstarter to get things done quicker, and not updating people AFTER the Kickstarter. Please have a little patience and don't worry guys, of course I'll provide regular updates after the KS.

Thank you for your patience everyone!

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
This is the mentioned KOTC 2 Kickstarter FAQ at the KotC 2 webpage:
Will the game as delivered right after the end of the campaign include the full toolset?

YES of course. It will include the editor and the first adventure, Augury of Chaos.

Why are there several release / delivery dates depending on the reward tier?

That's because I want to create three new adventure modules that will each have their own release date. The modules will be connected, meaning that you can play the second module with the party that you finished the first module with.

Will the game have animated sprites?

That’s the plan. Please refer to the stretch-goals chart.

However, the first adventure, Augury of Chaos, currently is based on tokens. That being said, the sprites from KotC 1 are already available in the editor. They can also be used as player-character sprites.

Will the game have isometric backgrounds?

Augury of Chaos uses top-down backgrounds. Future modules may use top-down graphics or isometric graphics or a combination of the two depending on budget.

Can modders change the token / sprites / background graphics?

YES definitely.

Can I select between turn-based combat and real-time-with-pause combat?

The game features a turn-based combat engine only. In my opinion, turn-based combat is infinitely more interesting from a tactical point of view.

Are we creating our entire party from the start, or is it more like Baldur's Gate where we first make a protagonist and later on recruit companions?

Augury of Chaos allows you to create between one and six characters from scratch. Later on, you can recruit up to three companions and you can have up to eight party members.

In the three new adventure modules, I expect to set a limit of six active party members. The player creates between one and six characters from scratch. The other active party members (between zero and five) are recruited companions.

Non-active party members are characters that you’ve recruited before, but who are not adventuring with the party at the moment.

What retail platforms will KotC 2 be available on?

Direct Download (DRM free) and Steam. More platforms may be added in the future.

What operating systems will KotC 2 be available on?

Windows and Mac OS. You should have 4 GB of RAM and at least 1.5 GB of available SSD or HDD storage space.

Will you add multiplayer features?

Apologies. There are no such plans at the moment.

Is multi-classing available in the game?

Multiclassing is not possible in KotC 2. Please see the KotC 2 database for more information on Character Classes.

Will I get Steam keys?

Please pledge at Paladin level or above to receive a Steam Key of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos. The Champion level does not include the Steam Key.

If you pledge at Silver Knight level or above you’ll get both the DRM-free direct download link and the Steam Key of KotC 2 The Dark Arena.

If you pledge at Golden Knight level or above you’ll get both the DRM-free direct download link and the Steam Key of KotC 2 Forces of Chaos.

If you pledge at Diamond Knight level or above you’ll get both the DRM-free direct download link and the Steam Key of KotC 2 Heart of Evil.

Will I have access to closed beta testing?

Please pledge at Loremaster level or above to gain access to beta testing.

Can I get a Steam Key for KotC 1?

If you pledge at the Hero of the Realm level or above, you automatically get a Steam Key for KotC.

Otherwise, you can obtain a Steam Key for KotC by adding 8 GBP (9.89 USD) to your pledge amount. You need to be pledging at least at the Champion level for this offer.

What do I need to do to get the KotC 1 Steam Key add-on?

Please select the reward tier that you want and then increase your pledge amount by 8 GBP (9.89 USD) to get the KotC 1 Steam Key in addition to your tier’s rewards. You need to be pledging at least at the Champion level for this offer.

Can I pay with Paypal?

You may use the button at the bottom of the KotC 2 Features webpage to support the developer at any time, or to take part in the KotC 2 Kickstarter campaign once the campaign has been launched.

Please add a note with the name of your reward tier, your name and your email address. Many thanks for your support!

Also please note that by backing with PayPal you will not be backing through Kickstarter. You will receive the rewards for the tier you backed, but you will not be able to comment on the Kickstarter page (unless you pledge an additional GBP 1 through Kickstarter).

How will helping you design the game work?

Not long after the Kickstarter ends, I will send forms to the people who are creating things in the game. You are then welcome to submit names, characters, quest ideas, etc. I will work with you to come up with something that will fit into the world and games system.

You can also download the forms here:

Choices in CRPGs
Loremaster Tier: Name Something
Story Teller Tier: Create A Short Story
Legendary Bard Tier: Create A Soundtrack
Artifact Crafter Tier: Create An Artifact
Epic Painter Tier: Create A Splash Screen
Character Crafter Tier Create A Character
Epic Sculptor Tier: Create A Player Character Sprite
Monster Crafter Tier: Create A Monster
Quest Crafter Tier: Create A Quest
Companion Crafter Tier: Create A Companion
Map Crafter Tier: Create An Adventure Map
Archmage Tier: Create An Enemy Adventuring Party
Supreme Archmage Tier: Create A Recurring Villain

Is KotC 2 Augury of Chaos part of a campaign?

No. Augury of Chaos is a stand-alone adventure.

Are the three new adventure modules part of a campaign?

Yes. The three new adventure modules will be connected, meaning that you can play the second module with the party that you finished the first module with, and you can play the third module using the party that you finished the second module with.

Is there a free demo or tutorial somewhere?

KotC 2 does not have a free demo. KotC 1 has a free demo which is different from the main game and may be used as a tutorial for both KotC 1 and KotC 2.

What is the OGL 3.5 and what is it used for?

OGL is the open game licence created by Wizards of the Coast to allow third-parties to use their open game content. The open game content is a set of rules that constitutes the foundation of the pen-and-paper role playing game Dungeons & Dragons 3.5. Thus, the open content is distinct from D&D, but very closely related. If you like one, you like the other.

The way I see it, the OGL allows a book or game creator to borrow and reproduce many of the rules and content of Dungeons & Dragons 3.5. The creator cannot say that he uses D&D 3.5, but he can say that he uses the OGL, which is the set of rules at the root of D&D 3.5. The creator is allowed to quote D&D rules such as the rules for Touch Attack, Armour Class, Grapple and Cleave, as long as these quotes are clearly marked as being Open Game Content originating from the OGL. As well as the basic rules, the Open Game Content includes most spells, feats, skills and monsters of D&D 3.5, so it provides everything needed to make a great CRPG!

How much of the OGL 3.5 is used in KotC 2?

A lot of the 3.5 rule system is used by the game. Many of the feats, like Rapid Shot, Cleave and Whirlwind Attack, and creature abilities like Barbarian Rage, Sneak Attack, Smite Evil, Death Throes and Swallow Whole are true to the rule system.

You also have the standard combat rules like Attacks of Opportunity, Five-Foot Step, Bull Rush, Trip, Disarm, Sunder, Grapple, fighting with two or more weapons, Cover and Concealment, Saving Throws, Entangled, Blinded, Flaming weapons, and standard spells like Mirror Image, Grease, Web, Solid Fog, etc. In many ways KotC 2 is closer to the rule set than KotC 1. For example, KotC 2 has the Dying condition applying to characters with Hit Points between -1 and -9.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I find it insulting he's asking 7 GBP to get a Steam key (the difference between Paladin and Champion levels, ignoring the new wallpaper and the guidebook which are shit rewards anyway).

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's definitely an odd move to charge more for a Steam key when a Steam key is pretty much the standard for these things. I worry it's going to turn a lot of people away. Did he explain his reasoning for that anywhere?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I find it insulting he's asking 7 GBP to get a Steam key (the difference between Paladin and Champion levels, ignoring the new wallpaper and the guidebook which are shit rewards anyway).

I'm guessing he want to dip his roots in some Beluga Caviar every now and then.
There's a lot of games with shitty gameplay sold for way more.

Now, incline has a price too!

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's definitely an odd move to charge more for a Steam key when a Steam key is pretty much the standard for these things. I worry it's going to turn a lot of people away. Did he explain his reasoning for that anywhere?

I think he's still suspicious of Steam and GOG. Remember how long it took him to get KOTC up on Steam despite people suggesting it for the best part of a decade.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
e8b63731ab3809ce6198982e1c9bda40_original.png

HeroicFantasyGames.ComCreatorabout 4 hours ago
Hi all, thank you for posting. My apologies for not answering earlier.

As mentioned in the forums, I should be able to announce the KS dates tomorrow. I will also activate the pre-launch KS page tomorrow, not sure if that's going to affect the comments here.

Now to reply to your posts:

* Ipsus301: Set funding target to Heart of Evil: yes, I have done exactly that.

* Ipsus301: Make reward tiers clearer: okay, I have tried to do that.

* Ipsus301: Charging for steam key: I have changed that. It's no longer an add-on, it only requires pledging at Paladin level.

* Ipsus301: Using USD as base currency: Sadly, it cannot be done. Otherwise, yes, of course I agree.

* Ipsus301: Pricing too high: I hear you, but I will stick to my guns on this issue.

* Boris Fernandez: beta access too stiff: No change here because it will be so much easier for me to handle beta feedback from fewer people.

* ProfTD: About why poor communication: I enjoy game programming a lot more than marketing, maybe that's part of the answer? Reading and answering comments also takes me a lot more than five minutes and I have to do everything on my own. Regardless, I'll provide updates once per month after the KS.

Thank you everyone for your interest! :)

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Also, the Kickstarter was updated with new estimated delivery dates, Normal game ( Champion Tier ) on Jul 2020, The dark arena Jan 2022 , Forces of chaos Sep 2022, Heart of Evil May 2023

Mortmal

Arcane
105k for new token set, an unattainable goal even vogel doesnt get it...And no guarantee this one will be good either.20 euros in this day and age to be sure only the most dedicated fan will buy it, 28 for what?!digital useless rewards . This certainly smell success, a good 20k collected at best.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
In a sea of shit RPGs and early access 1/2 finished shit, gems like this are few and far between. I haven't looked forward to any CRPG more than this one.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
105k for new token set, an unattainable goal even vogel doesnt get it...And no guarantee this one will be good either.20 euros in this day and age to be sure only the most dedicated fan will buy it, 28 for what?!digital useless rewards . This certainly smell success, a good 20k collected at best.

He should get it, few games deserve our shekels more than this one, just think about infinite user made campaigns with the KotC 2 tools, the whole Goldbox series remade in his engine, it's an infinite stream of joy coming our way!

Also, for some reason Rpguy your KotC 2 kickstarter link redirects to the log-in page.
Direct link

BarbequeMasta

Learned

He should get it, few games deserve our shekels more than this one, just think about infinite user made campaigns with the KotC 2 tools, the whole Goldbox series remade in his engine, it's an infinite stream of joy coming our way!

Also, for some reason Rpguy your KotC 2 kickstarter link redirects to the log-in page.
Direct link
thx thought I was going crazy.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yo folks:

May 26th.

What in the hell was this? All this text popping up too fast for me to read it all. 4 screens showing at once, so I can't follow everything that's going on. Large text covering text in numbers 4 and 5 in the bottom-right box that shows features.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Man this guy really needs help with anything related to visuals. The video is atrocious

Or he's aware his token visuals are anti-climatic for many people and he wanted to overflow the audience and make them forget about it by throwing the new classes window on the top left corner.
For a solo dev making the best cRPG since ToEE KotC in a basement treehouse, i think it's not that bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom