Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, he cheats? He didn't mention that. Bah!

Noddy

Augur
Men, what is the consensus on Magic Missile feats? They seem good, is it a trap?
Complete trap. Wizard is tighter on feats than it looks.

worth enchanting? too gold hungry for levels to really bother with it, if the game's beatable without it, I'm just gonna sell all this crap
Like tweed said, it's worth it if for nothing else than SR armour.
If your gonna do it, allot of weapons and armour in this game have inherent bonuses like expanded crit/attributes/to-hit etc that you can't get if you craft from base and don't count toward the enchant limit. So i'd try to enchant over exists pieces you find.
Save some gold and xp this way too.

On my 'minmaxed mega party' savegame, I have most of the Ch 3 cleared and LOTS of gold. You think it'd be a good idea to make everyone enchanted SR 27 armor?

So far, none of the armor I found was any good. Oh, sure, crit immunity is nice to have and saves a few reloads, but otherwise...

Guess I didn't think of armor since everyone is a caster or gladiator.

How far have you gotten? If you can go run a test fight at the keep i'd do it.
Can't imagine taking it without SR personally.

How'd you fare in the death snare btw?

What the fuck are you doing?! Don't challenge Pierre, please. We don't want to find out what he is capable of.
:bounce:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
My old party beat the Death Snare by sheer luck. I will try my mega party at it now, just clearing everything else first (minus spider room.)
For an idea how strong they are, they cleared all the trash at level 10, killed the Black Dragon in 1 turn, and the Phoenix encounter, too. In fact, most encounters end, if not from massive AoE damage, then from me pouncing the Gladiator with his absurd attacks next to a grappled/tripped enemy.

I so wish there was a Teleport Ally spell.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Honestly, I've been starved for a good RPG and here it is. Why the first module has the difficulty of "forget it" is hard to explain, though. What's the next module? Where do you even go from here?

Don't get me wrong. I like difficult games. And I know it's a game for a niche audience. But this was an awful business decision! Nobody normal will survive this. And wouldn't it make sense for the next modules to be more difficult? Yet there's no room to grow left!
Yeah, it's especially bad because this is the "free" module that comes with the game. Even if the next ones are expertly balanced, people would then need to buy the base game AND the second module.

On the other hand, I kinda get Pierre. I've finished my test module, all the art, monsters, loot and scripts I wanted are in place... the only problem now is balancing it. I directly copied all the stats from the D&D module, made for a group of 4 Lv 2-3 characters, but you can solo it with a Lv 1 min-maxed mantis and a few reloads (aka, the KOTC2 way). There's a temptation to make it harder, but then I feel like I would be doing exactly what Pierre did...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
These fucking Discord losers. "Nerf Aberration domain, is too strong!" by the fucking retards that are stuck in Chapter 1.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These fucking Discord losers. "Nerf Aberration domain, is too strong!" by the fucking retards that are stuck in Chapter 1.
Isn't that thing once per day? How can that be too strong when you gotta fight 10 battles without resting?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ok, I think this is decent enough now to show to others - here's my Cragmaw Castle map: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rwWgDVB2vvCNUOe-xDUiWW5USZsYAJI9/view?usp=sharing

It's for 1-4 characters, Lv 1-2. Has about 8 combat encounters, should take just 10-15 minutes to clear. I feel like it's a good challenge for a "normal" Lv 1 party (not one made to finish Pierre's module), plays more like a traditional D&D adventure rather than a min-max challenge.

It's taken from the Lost Mines of Phandelver 5e module, I followed it quite faithfully, just changed some stuff due to account for the lack of a DM, and added two optional silly things just to test the scripts.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Honestly, I've been starved for a good RPG and here it is. Why the first module has the difficulty of "forget it" is hard to explain, though. What's the next module? Where do you even go from here?

Don't get me wrong. I like difficult games. And I know it's a game for a niche audience. But this was an awful business decision! Nobody normal will survive this. And wouldn't it make sense for the next modules to be more difficult? Yet there's no room to grow left!
Yeah, it's especially bad because this is the "free" module that comes with the game. Even if the next ones are expertly balanced, people would then need to buy the base game AND the second module.

On the other hand, I kinda get Pierre. I've finished my test module, all the art, monsters, loot and scripts I wanted are in place... the only problem now is balancing it. I directly copied all the stats from the D&D module, made for a group of 4 Lv 2-3 characters, but you can solo it with a Lv 1 min-maxed mantis and a few reloads (aka, the KOTC2 way). There's a temptation to make it harder, but then I feel like I would be doing exactly what Pierre did...
Or maybe the mantis idea and design is the problem. It’s a circle that simply kill the entire game, min maxing is the easy way of approaching an rpg and can’t be the only viable. If every single fight require metaknowledge min/maxing and also luck it’s only a trial and error exercise.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Isn't that thing once per day? How can that be too strong when you gotta fight 10 battles without resting?
No, it's as many times as you have Turn Undead.
It is, however, not very useful without a lot of Cha, and later on becomes as weak/strong as any other given summon, making for a 'wasted' Domain. (Not wasted, but not optimal.)

Lilliput McHammersmith

No, it's as many times as you have Turn Undead.
Interesting. I could've sworn people here were saying it was once per day, so I never tried it.
Nope with 20 CHA/20 WIS and Extra Turning, Improved Turning, and Greater Turning you can have 8 Turn Undead per day, which means you can summon the Tentacled Horror 8 times per day at level 1.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Sadly I was wrong, and even if you take every single Turn Undead feat and Domain AND have 22 CHA, Turn Undead is still sub-par, except for use as domain power fuel.
If it feared/controlled Undead...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't understand if the game got drunk or if it is working as intended. As soon as I exit the room where you fight four slimes, I get teleported to four crones. If I ask them to trade, the game goes to a screen with the inventory of one of my characters, but there are no items to buy. When I close it, the four crones start to follow my group as if they were my companions. What am I supposed to do with them?

If I pick the dialogue option to start the fight, the game crashes.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Your game or the save is fucked; reinstall if it happens on reloads and older saves. I wonder how you managed that...

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, I think this is decent enough now to show to others - here's my Cragmaw Castle map: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y4gW99fkQ0K8WloLrD_m9_Qv9tAdMmBV/view?usp=sharing

It's for 1-4 characters, Lv 1-2. Has about 8 combat encounters, should take just 10-15 minutes to clear. I feel like it's a good challenge for a "normal" Lv 1 party (not one made to finish Pierre's module), plays more like a traditional D&D adventure rather than a min-max challenge.

It's taken from the Lost Mines of Phandelver 5e module, I followed it quite faithfully, just changed some stuff due to account for the lack of a DM, and added two optional silly things just to test the scripts.

Nice module. The leveling up gold cost is still a pain in the ass

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
In fact, most encounters end, if not from massive AoE damage, then from me pouncing the Gladiator with his absurd attacks next to a grappled/tripped enemy.

The insanely expensive belt is the only way to do that, right?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
There'll be 'KotC2 Fan Modules and Campaigns' and 'KotC2 Modding and Discussion' threads once this releases in earnest, right?

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Sadly I was wrong, and even if you take every single Turn Undead feat and Domain AND have 22 CHA, Turn Undead is still sub-par, except for use as domain power fuel.
If it feared/controlled Undead...
I do wish it had the turn/rebuke or destroy/command, but even if it was 1d6/lvl like fireball, it might have some use. Giving enemies turn resistance still, when it's a piddling amount of damage, anyway, is just weird. I probably wouldn't use it if it was no save, but doing the same damage as now.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
This is exactly what I figured was going to happen ever since he announced the game, and it's the reason why wing clipping 3.5e in KotC 1 was always going to result in a better game than implementing a million billion classes and races.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How to kill Pizarra easy mode:

Step 1: true seeing on your fighter.
Step 2: arrow of slaying to the face.
upload_2020-7-13_19-13-42.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom