Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights of the Chalice is Here

Saxon1974

Prophet
Just bought this and played for about half hour last night. It's a very nice suprise so far.

I do agree with those here that dont like the resolution and the font. Couldn't it be at least 800 x 600? I can only play it in windowed mode with my resolution set to 800 x 600 but even then it doesnt fill the whole screen so a little bigger resolution would be good.

I understand what they were going for in the font and I like that, but it is a little hard to read.

What is it about Midi music that just grabs me? Maybe its nostalgia but this game just has a feel to it that captures me.

Now I need to get off work so I can play some more.

I hope this sells well and more are made.

youhomofo

Augur
So wait, in the demo we aren't all playing as the same set of characters? I've tried that encounter dozens of times and my wizard never gets to go first. If he survives at all it's only after the shaman has cast silence and he's rendered impotent. I see no possible way of winning that fight unless I get a lucky break on the first turn and somehow my wizard survives without being silenced or I get a lot of crits and they get a lot of misses. That's poor game design if ever I saw it, especially considering that I can't go off and build my characters up first. Everything I can kill is dead, everything I can get is gotten. I'm at a dead end.

Granted the full game would allow more opportunities, but with such a glaring error in the demo who's to say there aren't many, many more such errors in the full game?

I went from reaching for my credit card, ready to buy,to totally losing all interest thanks to that battle. It really is a shame. The game has more promise than anything I've seen in a while.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I just purchased, windowed mode is ok, but the font... the FONT? An abomination, i can hardly read it. Someone quickly kick the dev in the balls, that must be punished. Hopefully they bring out a patch that changes the font into a human-readable one.
The spell icons remind me of Darksun.

Chaotic Lulz3r

Liturgist
RottingNaziSurfer said:
Chaotic Lulz3r said:
Downloading...

downloading.jpg

Gwendo

Augur
youhomofo said:
So wait, in the demo we aren't all playing as the same set of characters? I've tried that encounter dozens of times and my wizard never gets to go first. If he survives at all it's only after the shaman has cast silence and he's rendered impotent. I see no possible way of winning that fight unless I get a lucky break on the first turn and somehow my wizard survives without being silenced or I get a lot of crits and they get a lot of misses. That's poor game design if ever I saw it, especially considering that I can't go off and build my characters up first. Everything I can kill is dead, everything I can get is gotten. I'm at a dead end.

Granted the full game would allow more opportunities, but with such a glaring error in the demo who's to say there aren't many, many more such errors in the full game?

I went from reaching for my credit card, ready to buy,to totally losing all interest thanks to that battle. It really is a shame. The game has more promise than anything I've seen in a while.

Learn to play.

Pay special atention when leveling up.

youhomofo

Augur
Ayup. That was the problem. I never realized I leveled. Used to D&D taking forever and, y'know, getting some kind of indicator other than a small start in the top corner of the screen.

Chaotic Lulz3r

Liturgist
Castanova said:
Chaotic Lulz3r, I think it's time for you to find a new avatar. You're already spoiling my incredibly non-existent reputation here.

Done, but only because this venerable visage better reflects my inscrutable wisdom.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Darth Roxor said:
If you think the troll fight is so hard, try the other stairway B) First, you fall down a point of no return, which leaves all your characters bleeding and at like 1/3 hp, you're surprised and quickly surrounded by 2 zombies, 4 skeletons and 2 mummies, and one of the mummies ALWAYS casts slow on your party when it's its first turn, which leaves you on the bottom of the initiative list and with half of action points.

And hohoho, it gets even better later. Just when you thought it's the most racist encounter in the demo, you find an empty room with a pentagram in the middle. When you enter the pentagram, a lich, 2 mummies, 4 pumped up skeletons, 2 zombies and 2 ghouls appear. If you don't get a lucky initiative roll and make your wizard cast haste at the start, you're pretty much fucked. You're also pretty much fucked if the lich starts casting. It has Circle of Death that kills off your whole party more often than not, empowered ice storm that does about 40 damage to each party member, disintegrate which does about 70 and empowered acid ray, which is the only sucky spell. Have fun taking all this shit out, when the ghouls can paralyze ya, and the mummies keep spamming BESTOWCURSEBESTOWCURSEBESTOWCURSEBESTOWCURSEBESTOWCURSE. But I did. Barely, but I did. And nobody died. Even though I raged a lot and had to reload like a dozen times. It was fucking awesome B)
You actually got past those initial undead?
*impressed*

Didn't really have problems with the troll fight, simply because I at least had a little control. Managed to keep the trolls away from my mage and everyone alive untill one troll was dead and I had some breathing room to maneuver. But the undead? From 4 tries I didn't get close to surviving that first encounter. My mage only survived the first round once, to be surrounded by 4 enemies and impossible to utilate... *grrr*^^

All in all the demo is too short and skips the vital character generation part. Didn't convince me to buy at that price range. *shrug*

dolio

Scholar
Luzur said:
funny thing about the font is that i recognize it from some other game...
It might be the font from Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, which would explain why it didn't bother me at all, since I recently got done playing through that twice. The dialogue (in the demo) is a lot like Shattered Lands, as well, if someone is looking for a comparison. It's a lot like a 3.5 edition update of that engine.

The undead area is really brutal. I don't know how I'd have beaten it without doing the trolls first. The troll shaman has a club of disruption (which you have to use shrink weapon on to use) which occasionally kills undead in one hit, which is pretty useful against that lich (and after you take him out, it's useful against his 60 hp, "CR 2" goons).

Fezzik

Cipher
Given the overall amount of approval this game is getting and the fact that some of the stuff that people are interested in (character creation, dialogue, difficulty of encounters in the full game) are not in the demo, this game deserves an LP. I have some free time coming up, so I might do it, but if I don't it would be cool if someone else did.

getter77

Augur
A tip for those coming to grips with the demo:

Be sure that you've explored all of your current area BEFORE descending any staircases on top of paying attention to/putting thought into how you level up each character. The demo is indeed possible to win with a variety of builds depending on how you grow your characters same as the full game itself.

Edit: Also, check youtube as Demiath is uploading footage of the character creation and whatnot, though spoiler apply and he surely needs to considering an alternative means of capturing the video as there is some serious lag.

L'ennui

Magister
Shannow said:
All in all the demo is too short and skips the vital character generation part. Didn't convince me to buy at that price range. *shrug*

It costs a jiffy. COME ON.

Honestly, that price tag is the last thing that would keep me from buying this kind of game.

Gwendo

Augur
How many times do we pay way more for (supposedly) AAA games that aren't worth a buck?

This game is turning out to be a little gem. It's well worth those ~15£/25$

Shannow

Waster of Time
It's been ages since I bought an AAA title and the last ones were not at full price.
I live off 600 € per month. I have standing costs around 550€. That leaves 50€ per month for food, clothes, recreation, books, games, etc. Yes, I cannot live off of that. I have to resort to savings from better days. You tell me if half my monthly budget for a game that I consider ok but far from awesome is a lot or not :roll:

What is it to you that some stranger on the internet won't buy the game anyway? Seriously, dudes... Find something more important to care about. Just enjoy that you found a game you like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom