Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights of the Chalice is Here

How did they get permission to release a D&D ruleset game?

Murk

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Wanted to try the demo but then I saw the viewport angle. FFS.

Yeah I agree, it was the biggest turn off I had of Ultima 7 and while it's definitely "old school" - bloody well fuck that with a rusted knife.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mikayel said:
MetalCraze said:
Wanted to try the demo but then I saw the viewport angle. FFS.

Yeah I agree, it was the biggest turn off I had of Ultima 7 and while it's definitely "old school" - bloody well fuck that with a rusted knife.

Skyway needed SOMETHING to bitch about.

Murk

Arcane
Yeah but in this case I agree 100% with him. Seriously, that angle is absolute shit.

dolio

Scholar
A bit slim on the race/class options, but such is life, I guess. Of course, some options would be rather obsolete due to other design decisions (like, wizards can just cast any spell they know, no preparation, so sorcerers would be useless). And yeah, it's too bad about the Ultima angle. Who the hell likes that?

The combat is pretty well done, though.

Has anyone beaten the trolls on level 2 in the demo? That encounter appears to be completely absurd (I walk down the stairs into where they're just chilling and they get a surprise round?).

Edit: Never mind. I finally beat the trolls. I can't help but feel like I just got lucky, though.

youhomofo

Augur
I know it may sound nitpicky, but something needs to be done with the font. I'm going to weather through it and see if I can't grow accustomed, because the rest of the game seems so good. But damn if trying to read anything doesn't give me a headache, and there's a lot of text in this game.

Urrrgh. I've never complained about something like this before, but it really is painful to read. Gonna switch to windowed mode and give that a shot.

Data4

Arcane
I'm with Skyway. I just recently made a post about it in the Ultima 7 LP thread. That viewpoint is ass. Sucks, too, because these reports about it sound awesome.

protobob

Liturgist
Come on guys, you'll barely even notice the view angle shit after ten minutes in the game.

1eyedking

Erudite
Angle is shit.

D&D 3rd is SHIT.

D&D 3rd combat is SHIT SHIT SHIT.

I'm having this urge I get when I want to violently uninstall a game and throw the floppy/CD/DVD out the window, and I haven't even downloaded it.

youhomofo

Augur
Okay, let me rescind my previous bitch-fest.

Ten minutes into the demo I found myself in a fight against a troll, a couple of wizards, and several warriors. I cast web in the center of the room to block the enemy. What happens? Well, a wizard casts fireball into the center of the web specifically to burn it away. Meanwhile, the troll intentionally skirts the web to get at my cleric. My wizard is bullrushed into the tattered remains of his own web where he gets hopelessly entangled and I quickly die.

I don't think I've ever experienced anything quite like that. Generally I drop web in front of the enemy and they all charge idiotically through it, getting stuck and killed in the process. Wizards buff themselves lots, then shoot a few spells at me. They never intentionally alter the environment.

I'm deeply impressed, and if this is the kind of thing I can expect throughout the game I'm looking forward to the full version.

Data4

Arcane
Blackadder said:
protobob said:
Come on guys, you'll barely even notice the view angle shit after ten minutes in the game.

Don't bother, the next gen codex has spoken.

It's not about graphics quality, if that's what you're implying. It's a personal preference on how to interface with the game. By the way, greetings from 2005.

Murk

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Don't bother, the next gen codex has spoken.

Next gen codex my ass - it's a legitimate gripe about a major aspect of the game that is omnipresent throughout said game, like the horrible font (yes yes, I get it, It's old school, thank god we arbitrarily cling on to old nuances that were a product not of style but of technological limitations).

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Data4 said:
It's not about graphics quality, if that's what you're implying. It's a personal preference on how to interface with the game. By the way, greetings from 2005.

:D

Played the demo and thought it was most excellent. Will certainly be supporting the developers. Doesn't make the viewing angle any less annoying though. Not keen on the text font either. Minor nitpicks in the grand scheme of things for an indie game, but something I hope they'll consider changing in any future work they do.

ElectricOtter

For some reason the framerate slowed to a crawl when I tried to start a new game, so I'm trying it on my other comp. Looks good though.

Andhaira

Arcane
Ok finally played it. Its as good as I thought it would be. My only real nitpick is the horrendous font. Arrgh it hurts. The interface is also clunky and its easy to make mistakes.

But otherwise the game is top notch. Difficulty is pretty high though, the enemies go straight for your wizard. Also, resting is few and far inbetween.

I was thinking about playing with 2 knights and 2 wizards, but now I think I wil need a cleric for making use of healing wands and healing spells.

Btw has anyone figured out how to use the 5-foot step?

Played a bit of the demo. It's got a good base, but needs a lot of work. The interface could be improved a lot (especially with some sort of dedicated feedback system a la IE games), more classes/races would be a good thing, combat feels a little out of control (especially attacks of opportunity...here's a funny one; my mage got gangbanged by lizardmen, and was down to 2 health so I cast an invisibility spell to save her...but she decided it was a great idea to make an AOO to blow her cover and get knocked out by a lizard), it's a little glitchy, I don't like some of the goofy restrictions on the player ("rest points", no pre-buffing, etc.), and the way the player party moves is a bitch with the way encounters have been handled.

That said, enemies do fight rather intelligently, the combat is satisfying, and it seems like it could be a lot of fun...provided more flaws don't show up later and the current ones aren't exacerbated. Considering a purchase...but around $25 seems kinda steep. Gotta think it over some more.

Edit: Played a bit more. Really starting to dislike the resting system and the way everything (including goddamn bears) goes straight for your mage. Did find the dedicated feedback screen though. That's a plus.

Who do you normally go for first if you face an enemy party? Magic users of course. It is a trade off between having an AI that is challenging and one that just goes for the nearest character.

So far, the game is quite good. I will complete the demo and decide after that on whether to buy, but it looks fairly certain at the moment.

Black

Arcane
L'ennui said:
But it has furries, so it is also highly controversial. For instance, I hate furries, ergo I fucking hate Wiz 8.

NINJA furries with katanas and shit.
Can't go wrong with that!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I don't have anything against the view angle, but yeah, I must say that the uberlow resolution is rather not good.

Also, this game has spider diplomacy, so it's the perfect one for Andhaira.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I downloaded the demo and played several minutes.

I rarely bitch about graphic. But thanks to resolution (=so big pixels) it's fucking hard to read a fucking text! Reading in this game is a pain! What the fuck did they think? Characters and environment are okay but I CAN'T READ A FUCKING TEXT ( I mean I can but it's hard).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom