Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

L.A. Noire

Pegultagol

Erudite
I hear the game will have a black and white graphics option.

Looks more like an adventure game with conversation minigames to me, with mere smoke and mirrors serving as choices and consequences.

Seolas

Liturgist
Another game withheld from the PC after Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, and Heavy Rain, so they can fook off no matter how good it might be.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
LA Noire looks excellent - beautiful setting, great characters and acting, original idea - and would definitely be high on my watch list if there was a PC version. One of the few console games I'm actually upset I won't be able to play.

zeitgeist

Magister
ghostdog said:
The actor chosen for the main character is a blatant miscast for the role of the hard-boiled detective and has an annoyingly moronic face.
He doesn't seem to fit the setting very well, he looks like he's just playing dress-up. It's a common issue in modern neo-noir movies too, some elements always feel out of place (and it's usually cast members). Not nearly as much of an issue in older neo-noir though.

ghostdog said:
Sadly, LA nor's accurate facial expressions mean that you'll have to see his stupid face in all its glory.

That's why low resolution 2D sprites and text messages telling you what you "see" are better.
That or more detailed but nicely stylized 2D facial animations, subtle grimaces, tics, etc. But generally, yes.

And really, who wants to play this guy?

2lx9ksy.jpg

MCA
ghostdog said:
The actor chosen for the main character is a blatant miscast for the role of the hard-boiled detective and has an annoyingly moronic face.

kencosgrove.jpg

Sadly, LA nor's accurate facial expressions mean that you'll have to see his stupid face in all its glory.

That's why low resolution 2D sprites and text messages telling you what you "see" are better.

That's almost like a bad trend. Actor used for Force Unleashed is worse.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
zeitgeist said:
ghostdog said:
He doesn't seem to fit the setting very well, he looks like he's just playing dress-up. It's a common issue in modern neo-noir movies too, some elements always feel out of place (and it's usually cast members). Not nearly as much of an issue in older neo-noir though.

ghostdog said:

That or more detailed but nicely stylized 2D facial animations, subtle grimaces, tics, etc. But generally, yes.

And really, who wants to play this guy?

2lx9ksy.jpg

1234....99. So now my pulse is back to normal. FUCKING NO Y OU FUCKFACES1

I WANT TO PLAY THAT DUDE!
MORONIC FACE?! YOU HAVE A MORONIC FACE!
HE DOESNT FIT?! BY WHAT FUCKING CRITERIA YOU DISGUSTIN WEABoO FAGGOT!
YOU ARE LIKE the MARKETING SCUM OF THE PLANET "WE WANT SOMETHINK UNIQUE GIVE US UNIQUE!"
HERE UNIQUE! OHNOES TARGET AUDIENCE WONT UNDERSTAND! MAKE IT GENERIC SPACEMARIN/NOIRDETECTIVE!
HELL JUST COPY CASABLANCA!
IF I COULD I WOULD BE STABBING YOU BOTH IN THE FACE RIGHT NOW.

PU7tV.jpg

Everyone should prefer the model on the left. Granted, the original concept is already the typical jawman. But most concept art is a fucking disgrace. Muscles and tits.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Orgasm said:
the-usual-moronic-edgy-post

I applaud your efforts for jumping to idiotic conclusions and for being full of shit.

Obviously, I was talking about actors similar to the ones in the actual film noir movies of the 40s-50s. Bogart, Mitchum, Ladd, Lancaster, Cotten, etc. That fuckface of an actor is only good for playing the nervous mob accountant or something like that.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
You make a dumb comment. I see fundamentally, logically flawed, conceptually retarded opinion and I am the moron.

Let me quote: "blatant miscast for the role of the hard-boiled detective", "annoyingly moronic face."

Hard boiled detective == typical face? Yes? If so, go kill yourself. You dont like it? Fucking perfect! A chance to build a character.
The idea of an archetype is an idiotic one. Period. There is no arguing about it. Its the lowest, most vile insult to my intelligence someone could bring. Its artistic bankruptcy. You up that one by jumping to the most superficial level and shit all over his face!

See, first you grow a perspective and than you realize that "moron" is suddenly relative. Go play some Chrono Tigger where you stare at mr spikey hair, big headed hero. I get the pukes when I see that imbecile shit.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You make a dumb comment. I see fundamentally, logically flawed, conceptually retarded opinion and I am the moron.

^ Perfectly fitting as an answer to your own post.

Hard boiled detective == typical face? NO
The LAnoir's actor's face is typical. You think it's somehow atypical ? Go kill yourself.

Noir resolves around archetypes. There's no arguing about it.

I'll go play some Chrono Trigger, choke on your puke and die.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
I don't think the face is atypical. I dont care about the face on any objective level. Thats my fucking point. I might like/dislike it but I dont judge by the face never ever ever.

And "Noir" does not resolve around archetypes, hell, its not even a genre, like action games is not one. Nothing ever resolves around archetypes except for fox news and comic books. But you like both of them, eh?

Prejudiced scum.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's obvious by your fox news and comic book bullshit that you're the prejudiced scum dear lady.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Film Noir is mostly a visual style. Noir = dark - dim lighting, heavy shadows, all that kind of shit. Obviously LA Noire has none of that.

Archetypes lol.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
ghostdog said:
It's obvious by your fox news and comic book bullshit that you're the prejudiced scum dear lady.
And proud about it. But at least I dont judge faces.

jonnypolen

Liturgist
Just read a Norwegian review of the game. Supposedly it is a railroaded police adventure with poor and unnecessary action sequences. It got 7/10, wich, as you all know, is a rather low score these days. I am disappoint.

Data4

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Film Noir is mostly a visual style. Noir = dark - dim lighting, heavy shadows, all that kind of shit. Obviously LA Noire has none of that.

Archetypes lol.

That's your definition of Film Noir?

Explains a lot.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Metro said:
Is this actually a game or just a digital movie?

I'm only a few hours in, but it mostly feels like an interactive film with a conversation minigame and a driving minigame thrown in.

zool

Arcane
sea said:
LA Noire looks excellent - beautiful setting, great characters and acting, original idea - and would definitely be high on my watch list if there was a PC version. One of the few console games I'm actually upset I won't be able to play.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-la-noire/17-4133/

The black and white mode is shown around 30 minutes in.
Black and white actually looks better, no shitty bloom.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Is it an interactive movie (like Fahrenheit), or are there actually puzzles to solve? Is there an inventory, picking up objects, combining them, etc?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's an adventure game with some driving, talking and shooting segments thrown in. Fun if you're like me a fan of the old police quest games. You check out evidence, look for clues, follow up on them and then confront suspects with your findings. Nothing spectacular though.

Pissed at the dlc. The items I don't give a flying fuck about, however there are two entire 'exclusive pre-order' cases that are not available to people that just bought it in a store. Fuck that shit. That's premium content they're locking a lot of people out of. Rockstar never pulled something this shitty before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom