Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

L.A. Noire

MetalCraze

Arcane
Data4 said:
That's your definition of Film Noir?

Explains a lot.

Surely an esteemed Codex gentleman like you must know the translation of a french word Noir which doesn't mean "a crime movie set in 40s"

made

Arcane
So I read somewhere that LAN is getting top scores everywhere because it has some revolutionary feature/tech that reviewers want to see more of in future - what is it?

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
MetalCraze said:
Data4 said:
That's your definition of Film Noir?

Explains a lot.

Surely an esteemed Codex gentleman like you must know the translation of a french word Noir which doesn't mean "a crime movie set in 40s"

Nigger??

SteveL

Novice
made said:
So I read somewhere that LAN is getting top scores everywhere because it has some revolutionary feature/tech that reviewers want to see more of in future - what is it?

The characters have very expressive faces due to what is apparently a rather advanced motion capture technology. The game is also receiving a lot of praise for its musical score. Good atmosphere and presentation, may not be much of a game though.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Godamn, Dark City has such a shitty ending. A boss fight of all things...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The King of Comedy said:
L.A Noire isn't Film-Noir, it's Neo-Noir :smug:

See: L.A Confidential, Chinatown and Dark City.

Dark City isn't really Film Noir or Neo-Noir, or at least not strictly. It features elements of the genre but at the same time strays away from it. If anything the Noir elements can be explained by the Strangers creating the City from movies they saw, thinking this is the norm on Earth. In truth Dark City is such a rich movie that it easily escape categories because it borrows from so many sources. It's a real synthesis of the many currents that came before it.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Read a couple reviews and it seems like a good game but I doubt it has much replay value; most descriptions of missions I've read make it seem very straightforward without much branching. Going to just rent this one.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trash said:
Because Black Metal is about the color black, not the metal.

Of course! They totally weren't called Film Noir because movies were shot in dark visual tone with heavy shadows and dim lights, often during night and black colour was taking most of the screen space.

They were called black/dark movies because they had gangsters in 40s

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I think I'll just steer clear of spoilers and grab it used from gamestop at half price in 6 months or so.

It looks shiny, but it sounds like there's no replay value at all. That's a dealbreaker for me when considering buying something at full price.

Data4

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Trash said:

Of course! They totally weren't called Film Noir because movies were shot in dark visual tone with heavy shadows and dim lights, often during night and black colour was taking most of the screen space.

No, you ignorant fuck, the "noir" has less to do with the production style and everything to do with the characters and situations. Otherwise Dracula and Frankenstein could be considered Film Noir.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Data4 said:
MetalCraze said:
Trash said:

No, you ignorant fuck, the "noir" has less to do with the production style and everything to do with the characters and situations. Otherwise Dracula and Frankenstein could be considered Film Noir.

I'd say the truth lies somewhere in-between. It's about the characters and the situations AND about the visual style. The visual style of film noir doesn't have much to do with horror movies, but of course it is influenced by the characters and their whereabouts since you get a lot of city nighttime, dimly lit bars filled with smoke, shadowy figures passing by, etc.

Peter

Arcane
To those who have played it, how much does the game hold your hand? No retarded shit like shiny evidence I hope?

Also, not to say it's unexpected from Rockstar not to release on PC, but it's quite sad and somewhat ironic that PC gamers aren't getting what is essentially an adventure game.

Exmit

Scholar
http://tvgry.pl/?ID=1657

Plays damn good imo, wish i had a console for this. If my eyes don't fool me the gave is heavily based on C&C as you have 3 choices , truth doubt and lie during conversation and depending on evidences you gather you can fail or not - ofcourse this is the impression i get after watching the potato review.

KalosKagathos

Learned
I don't think there's any C&C, just a rating system at the end of each investigation that scores how well you did.

Exmit

Scholar
KalosKagathos said:
I don't think there's any C&C, just a rating system at the end of each investigation that scores how well you did.

Well i haven't seen any 'score' nor rating in the video.

Seems that if you don't have proof to support your claim about truth/lie you get fucked and the case goes in different way than when you'd have testimonies or physical evidence, so there should be atleast 2 ways to complete cases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom