Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

L.A. Noire

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Looking Amazing.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's probably going to be an interactive movie. But given the GTAs, bully and Red Dead Redemption have all been solid fun, I have high hopes for this one. Going to wait for someone on prestigious KKKodex to give it a spin and post impressions before I spend Potato on it though.

MCA
I was initially interested, until I found out that it's not even a real game but slightly interactive fiction. What's the point of producing this in game medium? Particularly, in 3D graphics?

I could imagine that 3D is cheaper to produce than creating budgets for sets, real actors, costumes and all that stuff that comes with these.

This could also be interpreted as the starting of a new movement going against the cinema/TV industry. If you invest enough time and money in it, you can create your own AAA masterpiece with ads all over the place and all the attention you want. How and where you find the money is irrelevant as the money itself is the decisive factor. It's an underdeveloped industry with wage slavery, after all. In comparison, the latter has a somewhat pyramidal structure where you have to go through a great deal of people and suck a great deal of cock to receive and to generate the same level of publicity and interest. Money alone won't get you anywhere without having the right connections.

Or, in simpler words, game industry isn't dominated by jews yet unlike cinema/TV :M

Either way, I'd say that the only reason this is being called a "game" is because it's delivered in the game medium.

Hopefully, it will help to push graphical threshold for real games too.

Black

Arcane
Ulminati said:
It's probably going to be an interactive movie. But given the GTAs, bully and Red Dead Redemption have all been solid fun, I have high hopes for this one. Going to wait for someone on prestigious KKKodex to give it a spin and post impressions before I spend Potato on it though.

R* is publisher, not developer.

Black

Arcane
My bad, looks like Team Bondi made it together with R*

Black

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
People seem to be more excited over the facial animations than anything gameplay related. What the fuck.
It's a console game.

Exmit

Scholar
Noire does not mean it has to be black and white, it can be considered as general 'crime drama'

Data4

Arcane
As best as can be seen in the vids, it looks Noir to me. Femme fatale? Check. Double crossing? Looks like there might be. Love triangles? Maybe. Can't have a crime drama without sex and/or someone cheating on someone as a murder motive. About the only thing not noir-ish that I can tell is that the protagonist seems to care too much. Good Film Noir detectives seem to walk a fine line between doing what's right and having an apathetic "I don't give a fuck as long as I get paid my $200 a day plus expenses" attitude. Then again, Cole Phelps may turn into a cynical private eye in a sequel. They usually start off as cops and then get frustrated with the bureaucracy in all the classics.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You start out as a uniformed beat cop and go through different cases as your career progresses from that to vice, homicide and so on.

Still playing in the early stages and as a rather friendly optimistic chap so far though. Game so far is however not light on the noirish aspects. I was hoping for a new cop adventure like the old police quest games and well, it delivers.

attackfighter

Magister
Black and white graphics would add flavour to it. I don't like the cartoonish look they've chosen to go with.

Deleted member 7219

Not all noires have to be black and white. Look at L.A. Confidential, and Blade Runner.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The actor chosen for the main character is a blatant miscast for the role of the hard-boiled detective and has an annoyingly moronic face.

kencosgrove.jpg

Sadly, LA nor's accurate facial expressions mean that you'll have to see his stupid face in all its glory.

That's why low resolution 2D sprites and text messages telling you what you "see" are better.

Jigawatt

Arcane
villain of the story said:
I was initially interested, until I found out that it's not even a real game but slightly interactive fiction. What's the point of producing this in game medium? Particularly, in 3D graphics?

Can't charge $60 $114 for a movie ticket :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom