Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

L.A. Noire

Zomg

Arbiter
I actually picked the "doubt" choice for the glasses thing because I wanted to bring the glasses up and ask her what she thought about it, and that also produced the "YOU ARE A MURDERING WHORRRRRE" Cole bit. (Incidentally, the conversation is pretty nonsensical after that). At that early point of the game I hadn't gotten the idea that doubt means "accuse of lying without evidence" and that "bring up evidence, see what they say" isn't within the scope of the game.

Really, it struck me as hilarious at the time and I got the rule in retrospect; I don't think Yahtzee really reproached the game for it. It's just some shit to say in a review.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That game is awesome. It does much stuff right and secretly shits a bit on the "derp" what makes gaming today. As already pointed out, there is no magic handholding, you can horribly fail, accuse wrong people, make suspects shut down the dialogs with you, miss hints, proofs, hell, even whole locations maybe being useful to solve that case etc. In short - you have to use your brain. The game is also one of the few, where I would use the term (gulp) "immersive" in a good way. The whole interface is really well made, it is not annoying, makes sense and looks very good. You receive some useful hint from a suspect? Your PC writes it down in the journal, the same you can always open up and look up for hints on a suspect etc..

So far, this was really a surprise, I knew it won't be total shit, but I was kinda puzzled, so I only rented it. I am positevely surprised so far.

Drakron

Arcane
Zomg said:
I actually picked the "doubt" choice for the glasses thing because I wanted to bring the glasses up and ask her what she thought about it, and that also produced the "YOU ARE A MURDERING WHORRRRRE" Cole bit.

But you had no reason to doubt she was telling the truth, doubt is pretty much when you believe someone is lying but you have no evidence with Lie being accusing someone of lying AND having evidence of that.

The problem is that its somewhat easy to mix up lying and doubt because they end up being the same thing, they are lying and its only a question of IF you can prove it or not.

Surf Solar said:
you can horribly fail ...

No, you can NEVER fail.
Its a question of how strong the case is at the end but you can never fail, in fact in the homicide desk there are cases you just have enough proof to go either suspect and in the end ...

... they were innocent, the real killer was the Werewofl that the LAPD was trying to deny as being a serial killer and being only responsible for the Black Dahlia case.

Multi-headed Cow

Gonna be a cheap shithead since I haven't bought a 360 game in ages and decided to use a free trial to Gamefly to play this. Should imagine I can stomp through it and get it sent back in a week.

MikeJahn

Educated
Multi-headed Cow said:
Gonna be a cheap shithead since I haven't bought a 360 game in ages and decided to use a free trial to Gamefly to play this. Should imagine I can stomp through it and get it sent back in a week.

Or be even cheaper and watch a LP of it since it's hardly even much of a game to begin with.

Exmit

Scholar
MikeJahn said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

Or be even cheaper and watch a LP of it since it's hardly even much of a game to begin with.

wow idiot

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So this game is better than that Fahrenheit game couple of years back ?

Maybe there is some hope for a PC version.. The GTA's were ported eventually.. and it would seem the player base for these kind of games would be bigger on PC than console.

Well, I was wrong. The game is actually interesting. One street case had a masked guy taking a hostage, and your partner tells you to incapacitate him. I put a bullet between his eyes. Cue cutscene of body-on-a-slab along with a slackwjawed partner.

WELL HE IS INCAPACITATED NOW, I'M SORRY WE DIDN'T DO IT YOUR WAY, PRINCESS

But yeah, ocasionally you get those Shepard / Geralt / Hawke options. Like with that guy in the bar, in the case of the guy with the glasses.

Dude: Yeah, I don't know where he is.

*Doubt*

Cole: TELL ME WHERE HE IS OR WE'LL TAKE YOU BACK IN THE ALLEY AND PUNCH YOU UNTIL YOU SING

...or the murder in front of the jewelry.

Girl: I-I don't know, when I looked away, he was shot. I didn't see the killer...

*Doubt*

Cole: DON'T PLAY GAMES WITH ME, LADY, OR I'LL SEND YOU TO THE SLAMMER

:what:

Seems to me that most of the time, "Doubt" actually means "Renegade".

Silellak

Cipher
[Doubt]

I'LL RIP OFF YOUR FACE. I'LL RIP OFF YOUR GODDAMN FACE AND RAPE YOUR KITTEN YOU STUPID SHIT-GUZZLING MOTHERFUCKER.

...yeah, the dialogue options can be a little schitzo, but I still give the game overall a solid :thumbsup:

Yahtzee's right though, the best option if you have any doubt is to choose "Lie" and then see what Phelps actually accuses them of lying about, since sometimes it may not be what you expect. You can always back out.

Multi-headed Cow

IT'S IN THE MAIL. :bounce:
Kinda psyched about this. Last console game since Red Dead Redemption I'm hot and bothered for. I'll probably end up poopsocking it a bit to get through it in time to send it back to Gamefly, but from what I've heard of the sidequests (They're mostly just chases and shootouts) I should be alright plowing through the main story as quick as I can.

Question for the bros playing, do you recommend disabling the "Clue is near" noise/vibration? I was kinda planning on disabling it, but I dunno if there's any particular reason to leave it on, like you can't leave a crimescene unless you find a certain number of clues or some shit.

Silellak

Cipher
Multi-headed Cow said:
IT'S IN THE MAIL. :bounce:
Kinda psyched about this. Last console game since Red Dead Redemption I'm hot and bothered for. I'll probably end up poopsocking it a bit to get through it in time to send it back to Gamefly, but from what I've heard of the sidequests (They're mostly just chases and shootouts) I should be alright plowing through the main story as quick as I can.

Question for the bros playing, do you recommend disabling the "Clue is near" noise/vibration? I was kinda planning on disabling it, but I dunno if there's any particular reason to leave it on, like you can't leave a crimescene unless you find a certain number of clues or some shit.
I played with it off, starting with the very first case. I kept the "musical cue" that lets you know when you've found all the clues in a given crime scene, though, because I'm anal and didn't feel like pressing X at every possible location in an area to make sure I'd found everything.

There's no set number of clues before you can leave a crime scene, but if you don't find any clues that give you another location and/or person to check out, then you can't really continue that particular case. Hard to solve a crime without any leads, after all.

Multi-headed Cow

Oh, awesome. I didn't know you could disable the clue beeper but keep the "All clues found" chime, that's definitely how I'll roll I think.

Silellak

Cipher
Multi-headed Cow said:
Oh, awesome. I didn't know you could disable the clue beeper but keep the "All clues found" chime, that's definitely how I'll roll I think.
Yeah, there are 3 gameplay altering settings:

1. Clue Beeper/Vibration on/off
2. "All clues found" musical cue on/off
3. "Skip Action Scenes" on/off. This is basically for people who lolsuck at action gameplay but still want to play the game for the investigations/interviews/story...if enabled, the game will give you the option to skip an action scene after you fail it a few times. At least, I think so. I turned it off, obviously (or it was off by default, I forget).

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Clockwork Knight said:
Well, I was wrong. The game is actually interesting. One street case had a masked guy taking a hostage, and your partner tells you to incapacitate him. I put a bullet between his eyes. Cue cutscene of body-on-a-slab along with a slackwjawed partner.

WELL HE IS INCAPACITATED NOW, I'M SORRY WE DIDN'T DO IT YOUR WAY, PRINCESS

Pretty sure that's the only way. In one radio call I had to have a gunfight in a jewelry store and at the end a female accomplice decks your partner and drives away in a car, so I shot her. MISSION FAIL.

So next time I didn't shoot her. And she crashed into a lightpole or some shit and died :x

The best questioning session in the game is like

Landlady: Would you like some tea officer?
Cole: Oh that would be lovely mam, I have some questions about one of your tenants, do you happen to know where they were last night?
LL: Oh, I'm not sure, I don't like to pry
(Doubt)
Cole: COME CLEAN YOU OLD COW, I'M SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE A NOSY CRONE LIKE YOU DOESN'T SPY ON YOUR BOARDERS?!

Multi-headed Cow

This is PRETTY NEAT. I quit for the evening just as I got into homicide. Had issues with the game freezing every 5-10 minutes until I drug my 360 off and blasted it with compressed air to knock the dust out, now it works fine. No idea how much C&C there is in regards to questioning/order of questions/order of visiting locations, but it's neat as hell and great for the rental I'm doing on it.

Multi-headed Cow

Finished the game, pretty great. Biggest complaint would probably be they could have removed 99% of the ACTION SEQUENCES and gunfights.

Not sure I'd say it would be worth $60 as a retail video game, but $20-30 for a 15 hour movie/TV show wouldn't be bad. Really glad I got to play it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
FUUUUUU!!!! Coming to PC! What a fucking shit! Now we all have to RAEG about the PC version instead of RAEGING about how it's not on the PC!!! CRYWAY start your engines!!!!

Deleted member 7219

The glasses thing annoyed me too, at first. From what she said to you, it seemed like she was lying, so I pressed LIE and then tried to use the glasses case as proof. I expect Cole to say, "Aha! If was wearing his old glasses then how do you explain THIS!", but instead he pretty much accused her of murdering him.

It turns out that
he planted the glasses to deliberately make it look like he had been killed, and wore his new ones instead
so it makes sense, but there was no way of knowing that at the time.

Suchy

Arcane
commie said:
FUUUUUU!!!! Coming to PC! What a fucking shit! Now we all have to RAEG about the PC version instead of RAEGING about how it's not on the PC!!! CRYWAY start your engines!!!!
No worries, we'll bitch that shitty port is shitty and all that. It will also come with native 3D support, so we'll bitch about useless gimmicks.

MapMan

Arcane
The fact that L.A. Noire will be a shitty port is like general knowledge, no one even tries to deny that. This is what people expect from Rockstar. :thumbsup:

Deleted member 7219

MapMan said:
The fact that L.A. Noire will be a shitty port is like general knowledge, no one even tries to deny that. This is what people expect from Rockstar. :thumbsup:

I don't think Rockstar have ever made a good PC port, actually.

Grand Theft Auto III: Pretty good, but no widescreen support, shitty controls
Vice City: Same as above
San Andreas: Same as above, but lots of issues relating to sound too.
IV: Poorly optimised, GFW nonsense, and annoying Social Club stuff (they could have just asked you on installation if you wanted Social Club instead of having to click 'Yes' or 'No' everytime you launch)
Bully: An abortion of a port. So many things wrong with it at release, a lot of bugs and issues were solved in a patch but there is no proper support for 16:10 monitors, meaning the game appears stretched in those resolutions. Also I found the graphics and sound quality was poor compared to the Xbox 360 version.
Red Dead Redemption: Non-existent.

So really I would suggest to anyone interested in this game to get it on the PS3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom