Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

L.A. Noire

Achilles

Arcane
No thanks, PC for me.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm vaguely interested, but I'm expecting a really awful porting job as per usual from Rockstar. My guess is that they're only releasing this because there's (at least traditionally) a bigger adventure game market on the PC than on consoles, and they'd like to make up for the game's retail failure as best they can.

Joghurt

Augur
Just to clarify some stuff - LA Noir is not developed by Rockstar. Rockstar is publishing ir. It is developed by Australian studio "Team Bondi". I remember reading some interview where it was said that the game is not using Rockstar's RAGE engine (GTA4, RDR). They are using an in-house engine. Just checked wikipedia and it says that the game uses in-house engine too. Of course wikipedia shit could mean that it is using Rockstar's in-house engine RAGE, but I remember reading somewhere that it isn't the case, but still I could be wrong because I can't find that interview so there is a chance that I messed something up.

Anyway IF it is not using RAGE then the port could turn out ok. That could be the reason they are porting this game to PC - because this engine is easier to port. Considering the fact that RDR didn't come to PC my theory could be right.

Deleted member 7219

The PC version will probably be ported by one of Rockstar's smaller studios like Rockstar San Diego.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Joghurt said:
Just to clarify some stuff - LA Noir is not developed by Rockstar. Rockstar is publishing ir. It is developed by Australian studio "Team Bondi". I remember reading some interview where it was said that the game is not using Rockstar's RAGE engine (GTA4, RDR). They are using an in-house engine. Just checked wikipedia and it says that the game uses in-house engine too. Of course wikipedia shit could mean that it is using Rockstar's in-house engine RAGE, but I remember reading somewhere that it isn't the case, but still I could be wrong because I can't find that interview so there is a chance that I messed something up.

Anyway IF it is not using RAGE then the port could turn out ok. That could be the reason they are porting this game to PC - because this engine is easier to port. Considering the fact that RDR didn't come to PC my theory could be right.
It uses parts of Rockstar's RAGE engine as well as their own internal tech, I believe.

Also, chances are that LA Noire on PC will be farmed out somewhere like Rockstar Toronto for porting.

Matt7895 said:
Bully: An abortion of a port. So many things wrong with it at release, a lot of bugs and issues were solved in a patch but there is no proper support for 16:10 monitors, meaning the game appears stretched in those resolutions. Also I found the graphics and sound quality was poor compared to the Xbox 360 version.

The most glaring thing for me is the washed out filter that exists over the game. Screw being as vibrant as the console version, I'd just like to have something that doesn't seem like I'm looking at it though muddy goggles.

MapMan

Arcane
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Matt7895 said:
Bully: An abortion of a port. So many things wrong with it at release, a lot of bugs and issues were solved in a patch but there is no proper support for 16:10 monitors, meaning the game appears stretched in those resolutions. Also I found the graphics and sound quality was poor compared to the Xbox 360 version.

The most glaring thing for me is the washed out filter that exists over the game. Screw being as vibrant as the console version, I'd just like to have something that doesn't seem like I'm looking at it though muddy goggles.

Not an option bro. The blur hides shitty textures, pathetic shadows, no antialiasing and laughable view distance.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Also, chances are that LA Noire on PC will be farmed out somewhere like Rockstar Toronto for porting.

Rockstar Leeds, with no previous PC experience, they produced only handheld games lately. Guess the result. :yeah:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Bitcher said:
sea said:
and they'd like to make up for the game's retail failure as best they can.
:shock: You mean it flopped? Even with all that hype and marketing shoving it down our throats...
Didn't quite flop, but apparently it did less than 1 million across both consoles in its first month, and had a sharp fall-off after release. The development costs likely require at least 3-4 million sales to break even.

LA Noire, despite the ad campaign, uses an unconventional setting, has unconventional gameplay, and has no brand behind it to rely on. People know Grand Theft Auto, and GTA IV was a poster child for the Xbox 360's technology, plus it released at a very good time, once the sandbox game genre had already been established on modern consoles, but not really mastered. Red Dead Redemption was a sequel to a semi-successful game, but more importantly was easily marketed as "Grand Theft Auto: Wild West." Both those games had an instant leg up over an original property like LA Noire.

If LA Noire were a film, it would at least be up as Oscar bait and would have that to leverage it. The videogames industry does not have such awards to help give more unconventional and artistic titles that boost (also meaning there's less incentive to produce them), and on top of that videogames aren't yet at a point where a "smart" game that defies convention is able to really do big sales numbers in a way that warrants.

You basically need one of three things to have a chance at mainstream success: a developer that's a "household" name and will sell based on that (BioWare), a well-known license or game franchise, or some sort of original hook to stand out from the crowd that at the same time is able to be marketed as a spin on existing and established ideas ("like Call of Duty, but..."). LA Noire got the original ideas right (at least as far as games go, the 40s and 50s are mostly unexplored territory), but it was sold as "GTA: Noire" and the final game ended up being pretty different in the end. Add to that the natural obstacle of getting people to spend full price on a genre largely dominated these days by lower-priced games on the PC (Telltale especially), and I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised.

If Rockstar were smarter business-wise, they would have released it as a budget-priced downloadable to help test the waters for the gameplay and themes (possibly with a priority on PC, as there is a huge casual/budget market for adventure games), or would have basically turned it into a straight action game to appeal to the mass market's current expectations.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Luzur said:
it would be easier if you just said "consollers just dont get it."
But that would have been dumbing down.

made

Arcane
It's out, and apparently it's the worst console port from Rockstar to date. :D

Peter

Arcane
Interesting. From what I've read, it works fine and looks slightly better than the console versions.

bonescraper

The volksdeutsch is lying. Poor trolling attempt. From what i've read and seen so far, the game runs fine.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Apparently there's a bug where the game drops to 5 FPS if you move around using the M&K, but it doesn't happen if you use the XBAWKS controller instead.

Pathetic.

anus_pounder

Arcane
:x I was going to inform the codex about the PC Port and then I find everyone already knows. :(

So, hows the port ? Is it shit or does it work well like the above poster said.

EDIT : Didn't see pocahaunted's post. Seriously ? No M&K ? :rage:

made

Arcane
bonescraper said:
The volksdeutsch is lying. Poor trolling attempt. From what i've read and seen so far, the game runs fine.
Far be it from me to willfully deceive my Codex friends. Comments on bitgamer say it runs like shit so I had assumed it does.

Here's the wild guess - maybe some of the complaints come from playing badly cracked versions? Always possible. It would be nice to know for sure whether people with problems are actually using legal version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom