Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk

Ventidius

Arbiter
Is this a serious crawler like Stranger of Sword City - or even Operation Babel - or is it more like a Compile Heart game? I mean in terms of combat, dungeon design, and party customization.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Is this a serious crawler like Stranger of Sword City - or even Operation Babel - or is it more like a Compile Heart game? I mean in terms of combat, dungeon design, and party customization.

Inbetween.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
The Numblebee wiped my party 4 times before I somehow brought it down.

Angry because of the black screen crashes ? If you think the game is worth your time: Save manually. I mean: in a dungeon save & exit to the title screen; alt-tab, copy the savegame folder. No new concept.

When did you start transfering souls ? Right after it's available or just for the postgame ?

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
You can transfer souls after the 4th dungeon. You should be able to do that now, maybe after another cutscene or two.

Angry because of the black screen crashes ? If you think the game is worth your time: Save manually. I mean: in a dungeon save & exit to the title screen; alt-tab, copy the savegame folder. No new concept.
so... savescumming? you know, there's no coming back from that.
i uninstalled and deleted, i don't want anything which could tempt me to look back. fuck it.

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The Numblebee wiped my party 4 times before I somehow brought it down.

When did you start transfering souls ? Right after it's available or just for the postgame ?

Soul transfer should unlock just after Numblebee fight or very soon after.

Personaly Numblebee was one of easiest bosses but i admit i had alot of luck. My new Gothic whatever class char crippled Numblebee three rounds in row halfing his hp. Battle was over in round five with all my team standing.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I already can transfer and the party is around level 40. I was wondering if I should start right away or better wait for the postgame.

Savescumming...you're not entirely wrong, but savescumming for me is quicksaving after every battle. Here I'm manually saving after a boss I really don't want to fight again or a progress I don't wanna lose. Every 30 minutes perhaps.

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I started testing soul transfer yesterday on my lowest and highest level char. Lowest was around level 15 and seems it didnt do much except change of portrait,class or aptitude. Soul clarity remained same. But my level 55 has now soul clarity 6 and could keep 5 of his previous skills. soul transfer tutorial mentions you are gaining skills until level 81 and can transferup to 8 of 12 skills. I guess its up to you when you want to start soul transfer but high level chars benefit more from it and i dont recommend transfering low level chars at all.

orcinator

Liturgist
Gave up some time after the foot fetish boss, story is okay but I'll just watch a youtube playthrough so someone else can press V then hold enter(or the console equivalent). Also speed hacks just made it really easy to fall into a pit.
Too many trash mobs and too little interesting mechanics besides new ways to make your stats go up.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not sure which is the foot fetish boss, but I'm still enjoying it. And I have to say, for a company's first blobber, they've put in a lot of original mechanics I really enjoy and which actually work well

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I hope you're not talking about the troll boss, because that would be, urrgh

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I feel like my party is seriously under-optimized. I've reached the 4 dungeon, the garden, but haven't beaten the troll king yet (most of my chars are at level 30 to 34). I'm mostly using the witch pacts, one tanks and one damage dealer in the front, and then a dancer-type char in the passive role. Also tried to use different formations, which helps somewhat in the early rounds, and I can take out his little magic buddies most of the time, but the king himself kills whoever is left standing.

Also is there a way to avoid his abyss state, that is seriously annoying.

Any tips for which are the best pacts, what kind of chars to put into the passive positions, and any gods party builds in general

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Troll King seems to be over leveled compared to rest end dungeon bosses. Explore the 4th or hidden part of 1st dungeon then come back later worked fine for me.

Abyss state wasnt a problem for me because i run dedicated peer fortress pact. Cant remember pact name but its one where 2 frontline are atacked more often and single support char gives 1.5x def while fortified. Usualy they spend whole fight fortified tanking and guarding the rest of party sometimes i cast Incite II first round. Since they dont tend to atack i just give them highest + guarding equipment i can find or synthetise. Love Old great shield wall shield which gives +41% guarding chance. even without casting anything most monsters tend to atack my tanks but trolls are one of rare monster type that atack chars with highest charm instead. Cast Incite II the first round.

For the rest of pacts i had red goat pact with 2 shinobushis because they atacks with both equiped swords if you have S+ in swords. had one witch pact too. and another vanguard coven with gothic and aster knight. Gothics are slow but they hit like truck they have the highest chance to cripple bosses. Dont remember other rearguard pact i was using against Troll Shaman as i tend to rotate them sheer star pact, tactician pact, mud pact or pair of mad raptors seems all fine. If you want to power level a single new char find parasitic or better symbiotic pact.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Another question that's bugged me. Is it better to build single specific build coven (only attacker, only tanks, only mages, etc.) or mix'n match, like tanks+attacker+supports

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Saw a picture of theatrical star level 99 sun stance soul clarity 99 saying this char was able to win the game solo. So i guess eventualy any tactics is viable just some builds like dedicated tank coven are much more effective at lower level then others. Also with more levels as you get more skills and more pacts builds change too. For example dual shinobushis were very strong early but now aster knights and gothics are geting much stronger. Shinobushis only advantage now is fastest spd i will switching them for something else. Vanguard or rearguad coven im not sure yet.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Any tips for which are the best pacts, what kind of chars to put into the passive positions, and any gods party builds in general

Gothic puppets: make two or three of them. They hit like a truck.
Formation: donum attack

Pacts I'm using at level 40 (not optimal, but brought me through the game so far without too much trouble):

- V protector pact with one peer fortress for vanguard decoy (takes all the damage for the...duh...vanguard)
- R frail pact with one marginal maze (mainly for lamp fog II)
- V phalanx pact with aster knight, shinobushi and gothic cop.
- R witch corps pact with 3 mad raptors
- V health pact with marginal maze and gothic cop. for team status healing

Well, for the passive positions (do you mean support ?), there's a description in the slot, what they do. Some are better left free like double donum cost. Observe the XP values of the slots. I'm avoiding 5% XP slots for the supporters.

PocketMine: The "hidden" levels of the first dungeon can be a bit unpredictable. I'd not advise going there below ~ level 45.

Last edited:

Themadcow

Augur
God damn this game sounds good. Screw NIS for setting the price so stupidly high :(

I love Disgaea, and I love a Dungeon crawler. I can see myself buying a Switch just to play this on the toilet.

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
PocketMine: The "hidden" levels of the first dungeon can be a bit unpredictable. I'd not advise going there below ~ level 45.

Dont worry explored the whole 6th and 7th hidden level before entering 5th dungeon and i would explore them even sooner but deadly myasma protection can be only unlocked in 4th dungeon.

Btw some of pacts have nasty hidden side effects. Dark arts pact has a heal whole party spell at reasonable DP cost. Downside? One of of your support char will loose head each time you use it. My guess sacrificial pact has something similar with another downside that support chars gain no xp at all.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Does this game have lockpick/trap disarm skills like Wizardry or is it combat only gameplay like EO series?

How is the dungeon layout?

Reinhardt

Arcane
That feeling when you meet enemy machete rape squad and already mentally prepairing for incoming repair costs and suddenly crossbow salvo on turn 1.

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Does this game have lockpick/trap disarm skills like Wizardry or is it combat only gameplay like EO series?

How is the dungeon layout?

No lockpick/traps. All chests are either open or need specific key to open. Doors are open,need specific key or wall switch to open up. There is enviromental damage Poisoned squares,yellow and deadly myasma, pits you can jump into and even holy squares that damage you if your karma is above 0. There is unique wall destruction mechanic but not all walls are destructible.

Dungeon layout is varied all dungeons have different themes 5th dungeon im in now is huge 10 levels of 3 interconected dungeons all with different look and monsters.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Yesterday I did something crazy. I tried to play something else because variatio delectat. 30 minutes later i was back to it. Withdrawal symptoms were dissolving.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom