Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Touhou Labyrinth of Touhou 3

Crayll

Liturgist
Playing LoT 2 (Steam) right now, one of the things with which I'm not exactly satisfied in this game is dungeon exploration (I'm on lvl 6 of the tree). I can certainly overlook isometric view and the presence of automap, but the dungeon itself is the bigger problem for me. The dungeon levels are just too empty for their gigantic sizes.

Another disappointing thing is the overabundance of easy trash battles. Basically 95% of the game is just grind to level up your anime girls in these lame random encounters before they are able to kill the level's boss. Battles with bosses is where the real gameplay is concentrated, the rest is just worthless filler. I cannot deny seeing levels, stats and other numbers go up is fun, but I wish there were more to regular battles than being a tool to prepare your team for story/boss encounters, the meat of the game. Perhaps the lacking difficulty is the issue here, but I can imagine increasing the difficulty without also decreasing the frequency of random encounters and the size of dungeon levels can make the game more tedious rather than challenging. So I'm torn on this one.

Is LoT 3 going to change anything in these regards?
The higher floors sometimes add puzzles to break up the empty corridors. I didn't really care for them, but it's something.
Later on you'll get a few more glass cannon type characters (one in particular) that can be used to speed through a lot of the random encounters so you can get to the meat of the game more quickly if you want to cheese it.

As for 3, the dev has mentioned putting more effort into the levels. They definitely look more impressive.
In this thread he talks about having more variety in random enemies, tying the types of enemy you encounter to the level scenery (walking near a flowerbed increases the chance of finding one type of enemy vs. walking near an icicle), and specifically focusing more on the maps.

Suicidal

Arcane
Playing LoT 2 (Steam) right now, one of the things with which I'm not exactly satisfied in this game is dungeon exploration (I'm on lvl 6 of the tree). I can certainly overlook isometric view and the presence of automap, but the dungeon itself is the bigger problem for me. The dungeon levels are just too empty for their gigantic sizes.

Another disappointing thing is the overabundance of easy trash battles. Basically 95% of the game is just grind to level up your anime girls in these lame random encounters before they are able to kill the level's boss. Battles with bosses is where the real gameplay is concentrated, the rest is just worthless filler. I cannot deny seeing levels, stats and other numbers go up is fun, but I wish there were more to regular battles than being a tool to prepare your team for story/boss encounters, the meat of the game. Perhaps the lacking difficulty is the issue here, but I can imagine increasing the difficulty without also decreasing the frequency of random encounters and the size of dungeon levels can make the game more tedious rather than challenging. So I'm torn on this one.

Is LoT 3 going to change anything in these regards?

Both the dungeons and random enemy encounters go up in complexity as the game goes on, but dungeons being kinda boring is something I can absolutely agree with as someone who loved the game.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
dQcMcEw.jpg

33 waifus and we're not there yet. The game just keeps throwing new characters at you like a machine gun, pure bliss. And upon reaching 30 hours of playtime you get 30000 money just like that, which I used to get yet another character. Looks like the developers really like their players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom