Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Lair Of The Leviathan - old school turn-based rpg based on classics such as Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Phantasie, Ultima and the SSI Goldbox games.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
People are getting that "challenging turn-based combat"-bit wrong.
Original vision with movement grid was too difficult for the developers to do and now we're getting JRPG-combat.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
People are getting that "challenging turn-based combat"-bit wrong.
Original vision with movement grid was too difficult for the developers to do and now we're getting JRPG-combat.
Well, this means I - and several people who posted in this thread - probably are not the target audience anymore. Perhaps we never were. Sad but there are many games, old and in the making, I am interested in. More than the amount of time I have to play them so not a big loss.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Cautiously optimistic, what this is supposed to be like and what it looks like it's going to be seem at odds, but the overworld seems promising. Very nice spritework though.

grimer

Learned
they want the sea of stars audience. all style and no substance

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Looks like pre-gen characters, not full party creation. These are not the old school classics I'm looking for.
* Assemble a party of customisable characters each with different skills, classes, storylines, and quests.

this could mean anything from pre-gen to full party creation. Really have to wait to see whether its the real deal or not
It's the part that says: "There are a variety of different characters to choose from", which was a red flag for me. But I'll wait and see. It certainly looks great in all other regards.

How big is the party size? 4 or 6 characters?

The party size is 4. There are 8 starting characters to choose from and 2 more to find as you get through the game.

You can access any character at any time and rotate them into the party. You will need to rotate through characters especially in larger dungeons as party members get injured.

Are the character pre-set or is this full party generation with race/class selection like in the classics.

There is no generation other than choosing your skills and feats as you level up. What you choose to focus on will completely change your characters so it is quite non linear. All characters are unnamed however so you can name them whatever you want. They also change appearance as you level up.

How does combat work, is any positioning or is it just the back row, front row stuff from jRPGs?

Combat is turn based similar to jrpgs but with more options. Each side is a grid of 2X3 squares. You can move characters one square, have one free action for certain abilities and one normal attack action on your turn. I guess the main difference is it's a lot more crunchy and brutal than jrpgs, and also you get a move action which you will need to use to dodge certain larger attacks.

I need to do a combat post sometime in the future to explain more. Thanks for your question.

So he eventually answered the questions, and my interest has lessened. Might be still fun, but it looks all rather simple

negator2vc

Scholar
The game looks amazing (especially the world map) but why a jrpg combat system???? why?
the Phantasie's combat system (or Wizardry) it is not that much more difficult to implement and it much more interesting.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Anyone knows if this has barbarians?
Likely not, barbarians are B- or C-tier classes rarely implemented because nobody likes them
Then it is time for someone to make a game where Barbarian is the most OP class. And Wizards or Sorcerers are the worst.

Barbarian might not be A+ like the Cleric, but is a pretty good B- for two reasons alone,

- gets the most HP of all classes
- gets Uncanny Dodge for free at level 2

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Barbarians are the most masculine class.

Even for female barbarians.

Would.

1711391490091.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The most realistic barbarian was Cohen

1797ae42ab901.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom