Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Lair Of The Leviathan - old school turn-based rpg based on classics such as Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Phantasie, Ultima and the SSI Goldbox games.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

ss_c95f712820a5cc051bfb55bc816aa3aae5cfbefc.jpg

ss_4909493d7c602acab8624aac5dc4eeae7224103b.jpg

ss_0d42da47eac8760cf902a7cafcee28d505a78517.jpg

turn.png

combat.gif

Engage in challenging tactical combat involving the use of dozens of available abilities. Each party brings with them different specialties and it's up to you how to combine them to overcome the challenges faced.

evolve.png

blackfens2.png

Explore a world filled with npcs with their own quests and storylines. As you progress into each storyline new quests and buildings unlock providing further progression paths. The more the world grows, the more npcs and quests are unlocked and the further you can progress with new quests and new clues on further areas to explore, all which is reflected visually in the world.

Open.png

animation5.gif

A non linear story that allows you to progress the way you wish. The world is filled with both quests and dungeons big and small, from small monster caves to multi floored mega dungeons there is a variety of things to do and discover.

Advparty.png

characters.gif

As your adventurers grow in level, gear and complete story quests, new abilities will be unlocked. There are a variety of different characters to choose from, each of which is customisable with their own abilities, skills and storylines. Gear can be upgraded as you gain the necessary materials unlocking further stat increases and unlocking combat traits.

Animation.gif

features2.png

* Delve into dozens of different handcrafted locations such as deep dungeons, gloomy swamps, and dark forests. Visit dozens of different locations from tiny
farming hamlets to dirty goblin camps or sprawling horror filled dungeons.
*A large open world to explore in your own way, at your own pace.
* Assemble a party of customisable characters each with different skills, classes, storylines, and quests.
* Fight 100s of different enemies each with their own unique abilities in turn based combat.
* Explore a world that changes as you complete quests or which heroes you have in your party.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
What is this game and why should I care?
What is this game actually about?

Lair of the Leviathan is an old school rpg based on classics from the past such as Baldurs gate 1 and 2, Phantasie, Ultima and the SSi Goldbox games. I grew up playing these games and wanted to make something similar as there has been a shift away from this type of rpg in recent years in favour of roguelikes and deckbuilding rpgs.

Essentially there are the classic four main parts to gameplay: world exploration dungeon exploration, combat and npc/party interaction. It is your typical classic rpg formula we all know and love from the past. No roguelike random elements other than a random encounter system (not just random combat! events like the original fallout games)

0eea3b77bd229531d64fac6551c7aba136471370.gif

It all begins in your main hub town. After completing the initial introduction you are free to explore the world, finding towns and quests and secret locations on your own with minimum hand holding. Remember those days before everything was marked on the map for you and you were railroaded into a particular course of action? This is that kind of game. Want to head west to that creepy looking swamp and see what that's about? go for it? Want to ignore the rumours you heard in the local tavern about ogres being seen in the northern path and just go there? You can do that too!

b4ad60846b731a9cf8dcc4b6511ef73c25efc0a7.gif

Combat is challenging and turn based. I know turn based combat isn't everyone's cup of tea but I am trying to find ways to make it more interesting. For example every encounter is important and can sap your resources. There are also a large variety of skills to use making it interesting and fun to try out different combos. The last thing I want is boring autopilot combat like some games do.

There is a main storyline but it's up to you when you want to do that. Everything pushes you further north where strange things are said to be happening but you can do it at your own pace and in your own way. I hate when games force are too linear and force me into experiencing things a certain way. It is linear but there are minimum cut scenes and those that exist are very short and are there to add a bit of spice, not be the main meal.

89b9e158db9300d33ae51840ddbec4d095903e74.gif

I don't know if that clears anything but I guess the tldr is: Explore a big open world, find interesting locations and dungeons, kill monsters, level up your party members and push north to ever increasing danger and glory.

Now back to work on the trailer.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
This could be fun, I like the structure and handcrafted layouts, don't mind the blobber combat, in theory don't mind random encounters and won't mind the pregen chars with attached storylines and quests as long as there's no special one among them.

Ladonna

Arcane
That is a lot of names dropped.

Looks like Phantasie/JRPG fighting system.

Menu towns

Overland travel map

I can't see anything Gold Box or Baldur's Gate there though.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Seems interesting with one - major - exception: combat is jrpg-ish, at least from what is shown.
I like the looks of the game, gives early/mid 90s and Amiga vibes in a good way. It would be a waste if the game turned as good as it looks but with shitty combat system.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, seems like there's no positioning. Units only leave their place on a battlefield to make an attack, and then reoccupy their spot.

Looks like there's only enough space for 4 combatants on both sides.

Totally unlike BG 1&2.

Litmanen

Educated
Seems interesting with one - major - exception: combat is jrpg-ish, at least from what is shown.
I like the looks of the game, gives early/mid 90s and Amiga vibes in a good way. It would be a waste if the game turned as good as it looks but with shitty combat system.
I completely agree. The graphic is interesting (even if I normally don't like something as old-looking as that) but the combat system would be unbearable)

I like the look of this, but I'm concerned by how the fighter retakes his original position after attacking the spearman. This suggests positioning is irrelevant or an illusion. I strongly dislike JRPG combat where teams line up and take turns swinging.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I like the look of this, but I'm concerned by how the fighter retakes his original position after attacking the spearman. This suggests positioning is irrelevant or an illusion. I strongly dislike JRPG combat where teams line up and take turns swinging.

It's just JRPG combat, sprites move in front of their target to attack.

I like the overland pixel art, but the combat sprites seem muddy and the font is barely legible. Why do devs do this?

1710957170640.png

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Looks like pre-gen characters, not full party creation. These are not the old school classics I'm looking for.
I think they were also mentioning something about having full character creation before steam page got completely rewritten.
But i am not sure, i might be suffering from a dementia at this point.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Looks like pre-gen characters, not full party creation. These are not the old school classics I'm looking for.
* Assemble a party of customisable characters each with different skills, classes, storylines, and quests.

this could mean anything from pre-gen to full party creation. Really have to wait to see whether its the real deal or not

Dorateen

Arcane

this could mean anything from pre-gen to full party creation. Really have to wait to see whether its the real deal or not
It's the part that says: "There are a variety of different characters to choose from", which was a red flag for me. But I'll wait and see. It certainly looks great in all other regards.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

It's the part that says: "There are a variety of different characters to choose from", which was a red flag for me. But I'll wait and see. It certainly looks great in all other regards.
Well, I asked in the forum, maybe he will answer it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom