Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lands of Adventure: A Gold-Box Inspired CRPG

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Well, I appreciate the feedback. As I said when I replied, I was trying out something new. Going back to the Gold-Box layout won't be hard to do and seems to be preferred by a lot of people. Thanks.

dragonbait

Augur
I'd also like to say that you should make the style of game that You want to create, as that is what is most important, isn't it? When one does something one enjoys, the result is usually something that you can stand by and be proud of and there are bound to be many people that also enjoy the result whatever that ends up being. Trust your instincts and get it done. :) I and others will be following your progress.

mondblut

Arcane
But that doesn't mean you need to go to the modern, minimal HUD route. That kind of takes away some of the flavor of a classic-style game.

Problem is, with an independent freeware game, chances of "an (artistically) well-done interface" are...slim. I am all for a HUD that looks like Ishar 3 or World of Xeen. But monochrome grey blocks, gradient fills and default windows fonts? I'd have a minimal HUD over that any day.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I'm only working with monochrome grey blocks because I was told numerous times to build the game with what assets I had available instead of worrying about pursuing funding to get artwork. This is what I have to work with. As I mentioned months ago, you can't expect a fantastic looking game with a budget of $0.00. And to be fair, I've already put nearly $500.00 of my own money into it.

If I can find an artist who will work for nothing, I'll gladly replace the grey blocks with some other kind of frame, since they're really just operating as place-holders anyway. Everything is a work in progress at this point.

Also, I'm not using any default Windows fonts, so I'm not sure where you got that idea.

Not that it matters. Replacing graphics like that and changing fonts is trivial. It's something that can be taken care of later down the line.

mondblut

Arcane
As I mentioned months ago, you can't expect a fantastic looking game with a budget of $0.00.

That's exactly what I am implying :) If you yourself are not sure there will be something else than grey blocks by the end, it is better to keep them to minimum. You can always add skulls'n'gargoyles'n'shit borders later if they become available.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Here's an updated screenshot which includes some fantastic new borders created by Alchemist. And you'll note that I've made the decision to stick with the "Gold-Box" inspired screen, simply because it represents the kind of game I'm trying to make and most closely resembles the first version:

4-3.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
Frame gives the impression of carved, etched stonework. Good choice of color, too. Would love to see the font in a more archaeic looking style as well, unless that's a bit too much.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Frame gives the impression of carved, etched stonework. Good choice of color, too. Would love to see the font in a more archaeic looking style as well, unless that's a bit too much.

Fonts are easy. I just have to find one that meets the following criteria:

1) It's readable. Archaic is fine, but you shouldn't have to struggle to read it.
2) It's free and able to be used in any project. I have a low budget, and I'm not looking to pay a ton of money for the rights to use a font. Public domain is the best option.
3) It scales well. Very important.

I'm up for suggestions. If anyone knows of a good font they'd like me to try out, just send me a PM with a link. If it meets at least the first two criteria, I'll test it out (only way to see if it meets the final one, really).

Alchemist

Arcane
Here's an updated screenshot which includes some fantastic new borders created by Alchemist.
And just to add, the borders are just the beginning and those I will still refine / tweak. :) I have plans for adding stylistically similar texture backgrounds to the various panels, and customized buttons.

Fonts are easy. I just have to find one that meets the following criteria:

1) It's readable. Archaic is fine, but you shouldn't have to struggle to read it.
2) It's free and able to be used in any project. I have a low budget, and I'm not looking to pay a ton of money for the rights to use a font. Public domain is the best option.
3) It scales well. Very important.

I'm up for suggestions. If anyone knows of a good font they'd like me to try out, just send me a PM with a link. If it meets at least the first two criteria, I'll test it out (only way to see if it meets the final one, really).

I agree a more old-world font might be something to look into. Something old but still read-able. I hunt for fonts constantly in my day job so I might be able to find something good, and free.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Another minor update. I'm trying out different fonts, as suggested. Just want to see what people think of this one. I want to make sure that the font is readable and appealing to the eye. I can read it, but I want to make sure it's not hard on everyone else's eyes before I commit to it (and also that it doesn't look like complete garbage).

FontUpdate.jpg

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Because I am old..I like the font post in #153.

Still need to shorten those menu options up. Will give you more real estate somewhere else.

Camp
Journal
Options
(or Settings)

Zep--

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I'm with you. I prefer the older font as well. But apparently, others don't. So, I'm trying to come to a middle ground I can be happy with.

In regards to the buttons, their size won't change. I have room enough to include what's on there, so they don't need to be shortened up (these screenshots are from the lowest resolution). In higher resolutions, short names just make the buttons look weird.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I'm with you. I prefer the older font as well. But apparently, others don't. So, I'm trying to come to a middle ground I can be happy with.

In regards to the buttons, their size won't change. I have room enough to include what's on there, so they don't need to be shortened up (these screenshots are from the lowest resolution). In higher resolutions, short names just make the buttons look weird.

Yeah, But... cutting those buttons in half by shortening the names, you could fit a whole 'nother panel in there with some other information.

STR
DEX
INT

(or whatever "stats"), just an example.

Zep--

Alchemist

Arcane
Hmm, I can see what people mean about the new font being harder to read. I think perhaps a middle ground would simply be some kind of a serif font (an example of which Davaris pointed out in the PoE screenshot), instead of sans-serif like you have in your original. Sans-serif fonts tend to look more modern and ultra functional, while a serif font has a touch of old-world appeal, while not going as far into ornateness / unreadability as medieval script. Times New Roman is the bog standard serif font everyone has, but there are plenty of other ones out there. I'll look around a bit.

This image explains what I mean:
rh2ohMj.jpg

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I'm actually growing really fond of the Gold-Box style font. I've messed around with it quite a bit, and I've managed to get a screen that is highly reminiscent of the old games. So, I think I might pursue this a little further. It takes a bit more work, but the results are kind of cool. This is what the screen looks like now:

GoldBoxRevised.png

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Campaign for shorter menu names, successful!

Looks good!

Zep--

BurritoGoblin

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Codex 2014
I dig that font and I wonder if you could work some of those old school elements into your borders. Like, instead of smooth curves in the engraved borders, they are more pixely. But then I guess that opens a door to carry that through to the rest of the game... I am no help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom