Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Last good Bioware game?

What was the last good Bioware game?

• Shattered Steel

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Baldur's Gate

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • MDK2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baldur's Gate 2

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • Neverinter Nights

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • SW: KOTOR

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Jade Empire

• Mass Effect

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Dragon Age: Origins

Votes: 48 28.2%
  • Mass Effect 2

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Dragon Age 2

• SW: TOR

• Mass Effect 3

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Anthem

• BioWare has never released a good game

Votes: 15 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The question itself doesn't really make sense because the Bioware that made BG isn't the Bioware that made Dragon Age isn't the Bioware that made Andromeda.

It's just a skin suit worn by increasingly incompetent sickos.

Yeah but there's often a shared culture and tradition that's passed on in a company - ways of doing things, etc. I guess it's when the good doctors left that you knew the whole thing had gone to pot :)

Arbiter

Scholar
The question itself doesn't really make sense because the Bioware that made BG isn't the Bioware that made Dragon Age isn't the Bioware that made Andromeda.

Every company evolves over time because people come and go. By your logic we cannot really judge if products of any company get better or worse over time, because they are built by different people.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Bioware's best games are popcorn experiences without much substance.

I guess KotOR and Mass Effect are ok fillers. ME had good music and art style. Rest is trash. Especially Bladder's Gape.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I guess KotOR and Mass Effect are ok fillers. ME had good music and art style. Rest is trash. Especially Bladder's Gape.

I voted KotOR, I think it's really good, they didn't butcher Star Wars, which wasn't a given, combat is not great but at least it's fun and easy to control.
ME, on the other hand... I dropped it before hitting half an hour and never looked back.

BruceVC

Magister
Mass Effect 1 for me. Fucking loved it to be honest, just gave me that space-explorer vibe which I used to dream of as a kid.
You mean sex scenes with blue aliens?
Optional Romance arcs are definitely part of the overall Bioware gaming experience for me but they not very important . They just part of the companion interaction and companion side quests which is more important than Romance but yes I do enjoy my Romance options :hug:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
ME, on the other hand... I dropped it before hitting half an hour and never looked back.
Yeah, the story was retarded, despite it getting so much more retarded in the sequels.

But I really liked the art and style, and especially the ability to play an asshole that isn't just over-the-top evil. It was funny.

Falksi

Arcane
Mass Effect 1 for me. Fucking loved it to be honest, just gave me that space-explorer vibe which I used to dream of as a kid.
You mean sex scenes with blue aliens?
Optional Romance arcs are definitely part of the overall Bioware gaming experience for me but they not very important . They just part of the companion interaction and companion side quests which is more important than Romance but yes I do enjoy my Romance options :hug:

I'm not fan of romance options in particular, but I think the Mass Effect ones were done well enough to feel like a relationship evolution, rather than some bonkathon mini-game.

VonMiskov

Educated
Anthem because it finally killed the company.

Last game from them I enjoyed was DA:O. And BG's were developed under Black Isle being the publisher and who knows how they influenced the dev process.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Every company evolves over time because people come and go. By your logic we cannot really judge if products of any company get better or worse over time, because they are built by different people.

EA has been abusing the name for decades to give various gaggles of idiots some sort of credibility. There's nothing natural about how they evolved.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
:philosoraptor:

I wonder if there was anything that could prevent the Doctors from getting burned out and leaving.
Can we blame everything on the EA dvil? Is it that simple? Maybe they just said everything they had to say in gaming. Or maybe a growing company made everything less personal and more soules.

Wealth can be wonderful, but success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

Arbiter

Scholar

EA has been abusing the name for decades to give various gaggles of idiots some sort of credibility. There's nothing natural about how they evolved.

What if I make the following statement?
"CDP has declined over last several years culminating in a botched release of Cyberpunk"

According to your rule this statement is incorrect because most Witcher developers left before Cyberpunk was created.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There is still only one CDPR. There is no "CDPR Montreal", "CDPR Bangladesh" and "CDPR Pyongyang".

Arbiter

Scholar
There is still only one CDPR. There is no "CDPR Montreal", "CDPR Bangladesh" and "CDPR Pyongyang".

They have been outsourcing development (for example 3D models) from the very beginning, i.e. even before Witcher 1 was released. And there are in fact 2 studios now: CDPR Warsaw and CDPR Kraków.

Absinthe

Arcane
SWKotOR of course...
KotOR's combat was extremely fucking garbage though. I'd easily take DAO's combat over that. Probably even take DA2 and DAI's trash combat over it. In KotOR the combat is super-repetitive, excessively easy, and all the enemies are retarded because the AI code was such utter shit that even if enemies had Power Attack 3 they would attack using Power Attack 1 (and the same for every other such feat) where it's just a massive penalty for a negligible benefit. The challenge is virtually nonexistent and you basically clear every room the exact same way for the length of the entire game. The boredom is very real.

You also need to use Adrenal Stims and Force Speed once you unlock it (at least in KotOR 2 you could start with Force Speed and craft stims) simply so you can move around at non-shit movement speeds.

KotOR desperately needs a form of combat that is remotely interesting.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Voted KOTOR until I realised DA:O was after that.

I was always told how shit it was on the dex and that I'm a retard for liking it. Good to see how the inevitable decline sets in. Take this poll in another 10 years and Andromeda will probably win :lol:

I'd say ME2. It's a glitzy, simplified, RPG-lite, but it's still entertaining. As a game and nothing else, it succeeds. I didn't care for KotoR and never actually got around to Jade Empire, but the others were solid. Dragon Age should have been good, but I just found it very generic & mediocre.

Codex Year of the Donut
The poll is flawed. Bioware Montreal is not Bioware is not Bioware Austin.
Disregarding this, the easiest way to answer this is to simply work our way backwards.

• Anthem -- ?? I haven't played it. Probably bad though because it got canceled pretty fast.
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda(Montreal) -- Not as terrible as you'd be lead to believe, still not good though. Serious issues at launch, game ends on a cliffhanger because they abandoned it due to content creators making fun of it despite decent sales.
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition -- Awful. Embodies everything wrong with modern mcdonalds RPGs.
  • Mass Effect 3 -- Surprisingly good third person shooter, meh RPG. Shouldered with a lot of expectations by ME2 that it couldn't shake, ending will always go down as a faceplant to the series tarring the other 98% of the game. Great DLC.
  • SWTOR(Austin) -- Decent KOTOR sequel with an MMO WoWclone tumor attached to it. Agent class storyline is arguably Bioware at its best, no exaggeration. Overall drenching with Avellone KOTOR2 influence in its writing and his influence of gray jedi & the issues of treating everything as black and white. Expansions range from meh to great. Would probably be a well liked title if it wasn't a single player game wrapped in an MMO. Fun fact: this is the last Extended Universe product still being developed.
  • Dragon Age 2 -- Arguably the worst title Bioware has ever released. Really has zero redeeming qualities. People try to praise it for having an evolving city over time or something, but they're praising the idea not the execution.
  • Mass Effect 2 -- Sorry, can't understand the love for this title. Would be nowhere near my favorite Bioware game let alone near the top of my favorite games. I find it to be the weakest of the three, neither being anywhere near as good of a TPS as its older sibling or as good of an RPG as its younger one. It's the entire reason for REAAAPERS becoming the only plot point and sending ME3 into a tail spiral trying to recover. DLC ranges from meh(any of them involving that vehicle, you know the one) to fantastic(Shadowbroker)
  • Dragon Age: Origins -- Good. ?? Am I supposed to add something else here? Oh right, the DLC. Also good.
  • Mass Effect -- Great. I'm heavily biased. I love the citadel, one of my favorite areas in any game ever. Promising start to a series that only went downhill afterwards. Lots of different aliens, cultures, etc., that go completely missing in the later games, especially anything non-humanoid. Tons and tons of backstory, especially in the codex, they didn't care as much in the later games.

Therefore, I don't really see a single cutoff point. I guess ME3 since the question is game rather than RPG? But DA2 was easily the worst Bioware title I've played bar none.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom