Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Last good Might and Magic title?

What was the last good mainline M&M game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mightmagic

Augur
Might&Magic X.
The good Might&Magic are for me Might&Magic II, Might&Magic III, World of xeen, Might&Magic VII and Might&Magic X. I love Might&Magic III and World of xeen.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
They all have their merits (except maybe Might & Magic IX), but for me the pinnacle of the series was Might & Magic II. There was just something epic about it that was never topped.

Berengar

Learned
Something about the pre-6 era of M&M makes me feel so cozy when I play them. Not to diminish 6 & 7 which are bangers in their own right.

Eisen

Learned
i always get bored at the midgame in MM6.
shame, i feel like i am losing a good game

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Does anyone like Might & Magic 9? I've tried to play it but trying to do things in real time feels wrong. Even in 6/7/8, I used Turn-Based mode, so maybe it's for the folks who enjoyed doing things real time in those games?

Just curious if anyone out there had a good experience with it.

When I ask about the game, I tend to get one of two answers:
"It sucks."
"Please put your clothes back on, sir!"

Not sure why people are so hostile about it.

Old Hans

Arcane
ive only played might and magic 2, so that is the last good one im aware of

Dorateen

Arcane
Does anyone like Might & Magic 9? I've tried to play it but trying to do things in real time feels wrong. Even in 6/7/8, I used Turn-Based mode, so maybe it's for the folks who enjoyed doing things real time in those games?

MMIX The Writ of Fate is ugly and unfinished in some places, but underneath the negatives, it is still a Might & Magic game in the vein of 6 and 7. Just to clarify, you mentioned the doing things in real time, but IX also has the toggle to switch between real time and turn based. The exploration is decent and there are some clever dungeons to be found. I played the game to completion, and it does have some interesting concepts such as the Norse spin on the pantheon. You get to travel and adventure in the afterlife, too.

It's the weakest entry of the party-based series, but if you can stomach the graphics and a few other peculiarities, it is far from the worst thing ever.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

MMIX The Writ of Fate is ugly and unfinished in some places, but underneath the negatives, it is still a Might & Magic game in the vein of 6 and 7. Just to clarify, you mentioned the doing things in real time, but IX also has the toggle to switch between real time and turn based. The exploration is decent and there are some clever dungeons to be found. I played the game to completion, and it does have some interesting concepts such as the Norse spin on the pantheon. You get to travel and adventure in the afterlife, too.

It's the weakest entry of the party-based series, but if you can stomach the graphics and a few other peculiarities, it is far from the worst thing ever.
Interesting. I was under the impression that the game was real time only. I think I may have read that somewhere. But, if it's not true, that might make it a better experience. I didn't try to enter turn-based mode when I tried to play it due to my understanding that it wasn't turn-based. Clearly, if that was mistaken, it might deserve another shot.

Dorateen

Arcane
MMIX The Writ of Fate is unfinished in some places

a few other peculiarities
Can you be a bit more specific? TLDR.
The most specific example I can recall is in one town, there is a Desert Terror or some kind of powerful monster rampaging and it is unable to be killed. That was a bug. Other than that, most of the unfinished aspects are in the graphics area. The character models look pretty bad. The NPCs that you have to track down often are of similar appearance, making it a pain sometimes when a quest is to find so and so in this town. But these fall more under the peculiarities. Along with naming conventions being more Old Norse style, which might seem strange coming from previous Might & Magics. Overall, I did not run into any game breaking bugs, but that was twenty years ago.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The weird thing about MM9 was that instead of using assets from MM6-8, they instead used
rating_prosper.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom