Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Latest rumor: Interplay loses BG rights?

Spazmo

Erudite
Funny story--Lionheart sold 50,000 copies to FOBOS' 19,000. So even when they completely and utterly fail, IPLY's PC games outperform their console titles by 263%. Hell, when you consider that Reflexive wasn't even paid for a big chunk of their work, it's even more profitable for IPLY!

Seven

Erudite
Do we have too? I mean we've all seen the numbers before with sources. All you have to do is look back at old threads from here, DAC of NMA, how hard could it be. Plus newbs should take our word or just piss off. :P

Oh, by the way is the death betting pool still on?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
WaltC said:
I thought I read awhile back that Interplay was selling its BG license to Bioware, or did I totally misread whatever it is that I recall reading?...;)

Atari was suing them over not making payments on D&D licensed game and they were in danger of losing their BG rights because of it. Herve said in the 10-K they were in danger of losing that, and it looks like yesterday, they did.

Also, I think the idea of Atari and Vivendi "putting the screws" to Interplay is laughable, really. If Vivendi and Atari pick and fund the same kinds of losing propositions that Interplay has run with for years, they'll end up sharing the same fate, without question.

Interplay does have some intellectual property other companies might want. Those companies may not the whole package of Interplay, including the employees and any contractual obligations to those employees, Interplay's debt, any contractual problems Interplay has with another corporation, and so forth. If you're just interested in one or two of their properties, you don't want to pay for all of them and have the baggage that comes with it.

For example, Atari might be interested in the rights to the BG games. They have the rights to the name, and they have the rights to D&D, but they don't have the rights to the characters and story created by BioWare under Interplay. If Atari wanted to make BG3, which they do, and they wanted to continue with the characters seen in the first games, they'd need that license.

They can wait for Interplay to die, which we all know is going to happen at this point, or they can help that process along because Interplay is hardly self reliant. They rely on Vivendi to distribute their games for them, and Vivendi's been delaying the release of their games since last year. They delayed Lionheart's release by saying they wanted more time to advertise it. Then they didn't advertise it or take it to E3. They delayed Fallout Enforcer several month until it was up against games like Legends of Norrath from Sony. Atari did the same thing with IWD2 and BG: DA2, saying things like the elves weren't the right height in the games.

I mean, when you put the screws to yourself, no one else is required to do that, are they?

Think of it as pulling the plug on your diabetic grandpa who ate nothing but tootsie roll pops every day in order to fight for the inherence.

Also, if you want multiple properties from Interplay, you can get them cheaper at a liquidation auction than you can just buying them from the failing company.

It's pretty simple, I think: you fund good games people want enough to buy in quantity and you'll succeed--you don't and you won't. Cut & dried. Doesn't matter what you publish, be it books or software.

And that's the thing. People wanted Fallout 3, Interplay hands out Fallout Enforcer. People wanted BG3, Interplay gives them BG:DA2. The problem with Interplay isn't that they don't have good licenses with name recognition and the possibility to sell well. The problem with them is that they have those licenses and think making low budget console crap with them will make them rich. Titus was doing the same thing, and now they're broke too.

Heck, Vivendi likes the steady trickle of income Fallout and Fallout 2 generate. It's been selling steadily for the last few years. They'd have a bigger slice of that pie if they owned the rights all by themselves.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
More fun with investors:

http://ragingbull.lycos.com/mboard/boar ... Y&read=836

stockman20054 said:
Either way, that is great news...

It means that Interplay is trying to get these things taken care of, albeit even if it means giving away some assets. As long as IPLY can remain a viable company the pps is going to correct itself in a big way. May go upwards to .20 very soon. Holding my shares strong and not letting go of any till I am at break even, which is quite a ways from where we are now. Lol!

GO IPLY!

So, they lose their biggest selling assets from the last few years, including a brand new console game(BG: DA2) which they were hoping to get a cash advance on, and this guy thinks they're going to hit $0.20? $0.20 is almost tripple what it's at now, and IPLY just got assreemed.

Then someone questioned his optimism, saying that the company is, in fact, getting assreemed by losing those rights and he replies:

http://ragingbull.lycos.com/mboard/boar ... Y&read=839

stockman20054 said:
I think Herve has a plan...

and I think he is executing as we speak. We may be fine, and I think he is looking for a buyout. That is why he bought the shares, to make a quick profit before we get bought out. Makes sense!

And I think we are going to get our .20 price!!!

Yeah, Herve has a plan, and it's working GREAT!

I'd say most smart investors are going to see IPLY losing the rights to publish their only new game that had a chance of selling and dumo their shares monday morning while they might still make something out of it.

http://ragingbull.lycos.com/mboard/boar ... Y&read=841

stockman20054 said:
Buffet...

I understand your frustration, but nothing has been announced for sure. I think this week will see a rise in price just based on charts alone. It always bounces back to the teens from here. Just hold 'em and remain long, as to sell at this level is plain stupid.

Better sell it now than when it drops to $0.04 again, I'd think. That stock CAN go lower and Interplay's never had a disaster this big.

Ibbz

Augur
Better sell it now than when it drops to $0.04 again, I'd think. That stock CAN go lower and Interplay's never had a disaster this big.

Hard to imagine anyone would actually buy the shares. Even then it'd be doubtful whether you'd get much money at all for them.

Briosafreak

Augur
Saint is dead right, just read this post by Kumquatq3 based on a source close to Interplay, i send this info to Kharn to investigate but i don`t doubt it`s legit, coming from the person that came:

Iply can no longer sell ANY D&D products (IWD, BG). What is on the shelves is all that is left until a cash dispute with IP/Atari/Vivendi can be worked out. Iply will no longer recieve any cash from Vivendi till this gets worked out.

http://www.gamertalk.biz/viewtopic.php?t=1395

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sammuel said:
If I were Herve, I'd go shoot myself now. But he's not smart enough to do that.

Nope, he's not that smart.

I just like that there's investors on that Raging Bull IPLY forum that think Herve is smart enough to have a plan. If he had a good, working plan for turning Interplay around, why hasn't he done it? As far as I can tell, all his great plans have pretty much put Interplay in the sorry shape it's in today. For example:

• Making IWD2. Let's use a five year old engine, hack in some 3E rules, and make a new game of it. Quick to make, and lots of cash to be had by all.

Too bad it took longer than expected and sold quite poorly.
  • Cancelling BG3 to extend the BG console rights. We've covered this to death. It's the number one decision that's put Interplay in this mess today.
  • Lionheart, along with Vivendi. SPECIAL + Diablo style game = Money. Never mind that SPECIAL is a system designed for turn based role-playing, which is quite the opposite of an action CRPG. Never mind that Perks and Diablo style items won't work together. It was a bad idea from the start, but it happenned anyway.
  • Making Molitor a VP in charge of product development. Molitor is one of the people who, like Herve, thought that quickie console game using established licenses will bring in all the money they could want. Nevermind that Interplay never faired well in the console arena and did pretty well in the PC arena, consoles must be where the money is.

Granted, a lot of these mistakes were in part due to Molitor. However, Herve promoted the guy, Herve had the final say in all decisions, and Herve kept the guy in that position.
  • Pulling people from Fallout 3 to work on Fallout Enforcer. Well, we all know that Fallout Enforcer bombed. In fact, it did worse than Run Like Hell did. It only made about a third of what Lionheart did, which was also a sales disaster.

The best part is that Fallout Enforcer was actually split in to two games, with a lot of content never seen in the first one. That's a lot of content creation time that went on to nothing.
  • This also lead to the cancellation of Fallout 3, another gaping mistake, which would have sold many, many times the amount that Fallout Enforcer did. Hell, Fallout sold many, many times what Fallout Enforcer did. But Fallout 3 got delayed because of a lack of work done on it by the time allotted to do it because of the above.
  • Releasing Run Like Hell. Run Like Hell had been in development for over three years when Herve took over. It took another full year while he was in charge to finish. Despite taking all this time, reviewers panned the game because it felt rushed and wasn't a quality product. It went on to sell around 23,000 copies. That's a little over 5,000 copies per year of development and about $10,000 per year made back. That's not even enough to pay for one QA person for the game.
  • Galleon. Console game six years in the making, loaded with development problems - many of which were Interplay's fault like not paying the developers on time, and finally sold off at a loss for the company a few months ago.
  • Selling off NWN. Yeah, that game ran way overbudget and took too long. Sure, Interplay needed the license rights for BG and IWD. However, they only got a few million out of it, which is much less than Atari got from selling the title, and probably a lot less than Interplay spent developing the game. So, they got to make IWD2 out of that, which bombed. They got to start working on BG3, which was nearly done, and managed to fuck that one up in favor of BG: DA sequels. Then they lost the rights to BG :DA games, that's how they accepted selling off NWN so cheaply.

Well, at least they got to post a profit for that quarter because of that decision.

EDIT: Someone from BioWare emailed me and told me NWN was self funded by BioWare, so there was no impact of the lengthy dev time on Interplay's resources from that dev time.
  • Lost a bundle on stock buying up Interplay. Herve and crew bought up 34% when it was around $3/share. They bought up 17% more at $1.40/share. It's now at 7 cents per share. Do the math on that one. They lost about $200,000,000 of Titus's money doing this.

Oh yeah, as a side note, Herve Caen also blew a multi-hundred million dollar deal for selling Interplay to a third party back in 2001. So, instead of making money off the sale of Interplay to whomever, they opted for losing tens of millions of dollars for Titus and Interplay shareholders. That's our Herve.
  • Got IPLY kicked off NASDAQ. Even though Herve and Eric own oer 70% of the shares of the company, it's only worth 7 cents. You can't stay on NASDAQ if your stock is under a dollar per share. He had a plan for keeping on NASDAQ, too. Apparently that plan didn't work, did it? They've been IPLY.OB for nearly two years.
  • Ending 2003 with over a million in the bank, not being able to pay bills less than a month later. We all know about the rent issue, the payroll, and the employee benefits that weren't paid up. We're now finding out his missed the payment on the D&D rights. Seriously, what gives with that?

I'm sure there's more, but honestly, how do these people expect the man to turn the company around OR even find a buyer at this point when he's been in charge over all those boneheaded decisions? Herve comes off to me as someone who's either totally inept, or functionally retarded. Sure, he's got cash, but that doesn't make someone smart.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Notice that BIO has always had web pages for the BG games? :? :roll:

Spazmo

Erudite
Jesus, Susan, when Volourn can spank you, you're in trouble. Anyways, you shouldn't get excited until Atari has BG/IWD/PST websites up.

Seven

Erudite
Yup, spank that newb!!!

BTW, Atari can't just claim those titles because of failure to pay royalties; it would be like me taking your Ford Pick-up because you didn't pay me back that $100 you owe me. Restitution must either be awarded by the courts or agreed upon by both parties; it's not unilateral.

Spazmo

Erudite
Seven said:
BTW, Atari can't just claim those titles because of failure to pay royalties; it would be like me taking your Ford Pick-up because you didn't pay me back that $100 you owe me. Restitution must either be awarded by the courts or agreed upon by both parties; it's not unilateral.

Of course not, Seven. The point is that Interplay may have sold its entire back catalogue of D&D titles to Atari for <strike>crack money</strike> funds to operate with.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I doubt that. Why would Atari buy them from Interplay now? Atari can make a BG3 without the IP from the original games. Atari owns the Baldur's Gate name, and they own D&D. Why bother buying the stories when you don't have to buy to most important parts? Why not just wait for Interplay to fold? No one else would buy the BG1 and 2 games, because they'd be put in the same position Interplay was with them, having to owe Atari money all the time. If anyone is going to get those licenses when Interplay croaks, it's Atari. They'll be able to get them fairly cheap then as well. Cheaper than from a functioning Interplay.

Also, Interplay is counting on an advance from Vivendi to distribute more copies of BG: DA2 at a later date. Why sell the whole lump to Atari when you can get a decent advance on BG: DA2 from Vivendi as well as get whatever money is tricking in from BG/IWD bundles? And more importantly, why would Atari want BG: DA anyway?

Interplay needed BG: DA2. This is a big hit for them losing it.

Keep in mind, this is what Herve said about this as a possibility back in his 10-K release:

Herve Caen said:
On or about February 23, 2004, we received correspondence from Atari Interactive alleging that Interplay had failed to pay royalties due under the D&D license as of February 15, 2004. If we are unable to cure this alleged breach of the license agreement, we may lose our remaining rights under the license, including the rights to continued distribution of BALDUR'S GATE: DARK ALLIANCE II. The loss of the remaining rights to distribute games created under the D&D license could have a significant negative impact on our future operating results.

It's a BAD thing they lost it. Atari threatenned to yank their distribution rights if they didn't resolve payment on those rights. It's rather obvious they didn't make payment.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Saint_Proverbius said:
Lost a bundle on stock buying up Interplay. Herve and crew bought up 34% when it was around $3/share. They bought up 17% more at $1.40/share. It's now at 7 cents per share. Do the math on that one. They lost about $200,000,000 of Titus's money doing this.
'nuff said.

You should add some stuff to that post and turn it into an article or make it a front page news item. That's a great historical account of Caen & Co's mess. The Downfall of Interplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom