Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Faerghail

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
I am using the DOS version. Movement is incredibly clunky. (in Amiga too). I criticized in Fate this, blaming the Amiga/WinUAE. But now using the DOS version, it is only bad programming.
Sometimes I press one more step forward and then I am hard-necked into the wall, losing HP. What an idiot thing is this. In MM2 only displayed SOLID!

If I crank up the speed of Dosbox then monsters attack immediately. Because they moves in real-time. Real-time in a f*cking turn-based game.
This game has only one good feature: in the city the shops are always open. 24-hour shops.
I don't understand why the other crpgs are so outdated that there is no 24-hour shop.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Man, the passage of time depends on the CPU cycles. If you use 13000 then time goes by in a flash, dawn-morning-evening-dawn. Like the Digger DOS game from 1983. You bought a better PC then couldn't play the game it was so fast. But this rpg was made in 1990. Pfffff.

By the way, I bumbled in the first 3 levels of the Mines. There was no one random encounter. Total empty.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am using the DOS version. Movement is incredibly clunky. (in Amiga too). I criticized in Fate this, blaming the Amiga/WinUAE. But now using the DOS version, it is only bad programming.
Man, you don't appear to know what you're doing...

By the way, I bumbled in the first 3 levels of the Mines. There was no one random encounter. Total empty.
Lol, yeah, because you're playing the bad DOS crack in which all dungeons are empty :)

But the DOS version is trash, forget about it. One of the greatest things about the prestigious Amiga original is the awesome pixel art and the environmental sounds. Well, you get no sound in the DOS version and the graphics are butchered, so...

The Amiga version is HDD installable, so no need to play from floppies. It's fast enough when installed to an emulated HDD.
Anyway, you'll probably need to wait until my prestigious preconfigured Amiga game pack arrives, because a) it's easy to find badly cracked/buggy Amiga versions floating around online, b) you probably won't be able to do the HDD installation yourself.

But don't waste your time with this badly cracked DOS port of the game until then, it's pointless...

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Nice sexy female magician in Amiga version
w1.png

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
My cleric has a lots of money. She sells a full plate - negotiate - skill increase - cannot sell because of overweight - try sell again - skill increase - overweight - repeat to 100% skill

jakkis

Educated
Man, you don't appear to know what you're doing...

Lol, yeah, because you're playing the bad DOS crack in which all dungeons are empty :)

But the DOS version is trash, forget about it. One of the greatest things about the prestigious Amiga original is the awesome pixel art and the environmental sounds. Well, you get no sound in the DOS version and the graphics are butchered, so...

The Amiga version is HDD installable, so no need to play from floppies. It's fast enough when installed to an emulated HDD.
Anyway, you'll probably need to wait until my prestigious preconfigured Amiga game pack arrives, because a) it's easy to find badly cracked/buggy Amiga versions floating around online, b) you probably won't be able to do the HDD installation yourself.

But don't waste your time with this badly cracked DOS port of the game until then, it's pointless...
Hello, so you have a patreon/PayPal where one could :takemymoney: for such a feat of cultural preservation?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Amiga version. Siegurd has 2000 gold in the bank. I cannot withdraw it, because he is encumbered. Looking at his inventory, he has a huge inv and a lot of empty items and strange items like here:
sieg.png

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
What's with the CPU usage btw? A bit high. It's 100% on your other screenshot. This the port's fault?
May be the broken inventory. I could not use Siegurd's inventory in the beginning, if I remember correctly. Anyway I was browsing Siegurd's inventory and the game hanged up. So I rather kicked out Siegurd from the party. I sometimes had problems the saved games. Everything is uncertain using the emulator. It is a bad feeling. I installed the game on hard drive (directory) but the loading times were not faster to my biggest surprise. Waiting, waiting, waiting, someone needs lots of patience.
I read you can speed up the floppy speed to 800% but It can become not stable. How is that possible? This Amiga has a bad architecture.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
This is the original Amiga version.
Where does the Winuae emulator save the roster? I create a new character at the inn, I do not save it but he is already there at the next game start.
I installed Winuae into a new Windows directory, every files are new. And to my surprise the roster was the same.

Last edited:
Oh man. This was the first proper RPG I really remember playing.

A childhood friend of mine bought it in a games shop nearby. He went there with his parents, announcing to us in advance that he would buy a new game for his Amiga. GRAVE MISTAKE.

Still remember how we all lined up in front of his house for him and his parents to get back so we could check the game out. Being mostly used to platformers, shoot 'em ups, adventure games and business sims, it's not what we expected, judging by the game's cover. But we all were quickly hooked nonetheless.

And the name of Siegurd to this day has the same ring to it as the Nameless One for sure. :D

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
My party had 1300 rations. That is a lot of weight. And suddenly I lost 700 rations somehow. What has happened? Has it spoiled?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Who is Findal's great parent?
View attachment 52695
These questions are bugged (translation problems I think but anyway), that's where you need a patched version which allows to bypass it (any answer will work then).
Yeah, it seems the grandparent Alganor was the right answer. Annoying that every time he asks the question.
Somebody in my party has lost all his rations. Is there an enemy spell that destroys it? May be?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Somebody in my party has lost all his rations. Is there an enemy spell that destroys it? May be?
My priest had 250 rations. We killed some deers and he got 8 rations. He had than total of 2 rations. Integer overflow 250+8=256+2 :smug:
This game is full of these annoying and unnecessary things.
Repairing - your smith repairs anything instantly
Food - you have always plenty of rations in the Amiga version
Pay for learning magic - costs a few golds and you will learn anyway after some tries
No party gold - constant shifting of money between party members, weighs a ton
Lot of chests containing 1-2 golds - Oh, really? When you need 1500 golds for level up minimum?
Annoying animations - Want to heal a party member? = press C111 - but you cannot press quickly C111 because there is a delay C - 1 - delay - 1 - 1 - delay - C - 1 - delay - 1 ...showing you chose party member 1, so do you want to heal 80 HP? = 10 times heal 8 HP - wait, wait, wait and be patient.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom