Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

Nyast

Cipher
I tried most of those already, as I figured it's a commonplace item. Am I really going to have to go through my entire inventory + scrapheap for trading with the ratlings to find the answer to this?

I think I might have confused him with the other note / hint. That uru one was about the wood, which you've already done, right ? The other one is about the hunter. It mentions in the note how he tries to please the wind gods...

As a hunter, his gift to the wind gods is.. meat.

This is what I'm talking about. While I've yet to find any cheese (or make it) I've been having my Insectoid Battlemage eat all those spiked fruits raw because... they still count as his "racial food", so he's been getting some good stat bonuses while almost killing himself!

I can provide the list of the advanced recipes I've found so far if you want.. will do later, I'm not in game right now.

I've also come across a hint that I missed the first time round: Seems there's a place where "leaving the unborn to be watched" will give me bonuses in regards to underwater breathing - I'm guessing I need to leave an egg at a pivotal place. Am I on the right track with this one?

I probably missed it, it doesn't ring a bell.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes please, hit me with the Guardian's Cookbook!

*gets book thrown in face*

Some of my questions here have sounded a bit silly, because I hadn't fully gotten my head into the game, so to say. But this morning I solved the puzzle with the Orb of Radiance without any outside help *smug*. Not the one that involves getting the orb, but the one that leads you to the square with the bottle and the bag that's in the same room. In case you haven't figured it out yourselves, read the plaque on the top floor of the temple, it's a step-by-step guide on how to solve it. (I'll provide outright spoilers if asked.)

Nyast

Cipher
Allright here are all my cooking recipes:

Basic ones:
- nourishing roll = grimcap + wormroot
- cooked meat = raw meat + spices
- smoked fish = raw fish + wormroot
- bread = egg + wormroot
- forest milk = grimcap + palenut
- forest tincture = fruit + herder cap + mudwort
- wormbooze = herder cap + wormroot
- cooked insect meat = insect meat + spices
- salted sausage = cooked meat + spices
- ham = ??? ( I do it randomly sometimes but I forgot the exact ingredients.. )

Advanced ones:
- cake = palenut + egg + herder cap + fruit
- cheese = forest milk + herder cap + spices
- octopus liqueur = wormbooze + fish + palenut + etherweed
- cheesecake = fruit + herder cap + cheese
- mushroom pie =egg + spices + grimcap + herder cap
- hornfruit pie = egg + spices + grimcap + fruit
- meat pie = egg + spices + grimcap + ham
- grub pie = egg + spices + grimcap + cooked insect meat
- fish pie = egg + spices + grimcap + smoked fish

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Ham is made with Fjeld Meat (which this mod calls 'tenderloin') and spices.

Regarding the "leaving the unborn to be watched" - I was right. If you put an egg on the altar (the one that had the power gem on it) in the SE in the Lake of Tears-map, you gain the ability to breathe underwater. I've yet to test for how long it lasts, but it should come in handy for exploring the central pit.

A couple more questions:

# Has anyone found a Rope somewhere in the wild, or can it only be gained via Gold Key?

# Do mined squares always drop/reveal the same items? If so, then I fear massive save-scumming will be needed to judge whether a square should be mined or not.

# Is the Light-spell somewhere easily reachable that doesn't cost me a red gem? I'm getting tired of wandering about in the dark.

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
Ham is made with Fjeld Meat and spices.

Regarding the "leaving the unborn to be watched" - I was right. If you put an egg on the altar (the one that had the power gem on it) in the SE in the Lake of Tears-map, you gain the ability to breathe underwater. I've yet to test for how long it lasts, but it should come in handy for exploring the central pit.

A couple more questions:

# Has anyone found a Rope somewhere in the wild, or can it only be gained via Gold Key?

# Do mined squares always drop/reveal the same items? If so, then I fear massive save-scumming will be needed to judge whether a square should be mined or not.

# Is the Light-spell somewhere easily reachable that doesn't cost me a red gem? I'm getting tired of wandering about in the dark.

1. I haven't found a rope anywhere else in the game.

2. Yes, the resulting item(s) is always the same. Sometimes there's even nothing, which is quite frustrating, since mining eats away half of your food bar. Later in the game, there's a bunch of areas ( the mines ) that have a ton of mining rocks. Like, dozens and dozens. Better stock up on pickaxes, but I don't recall finding more than 3-4 in the wild, most of the time I had to make them from the item creator. There's also the forge you can open up in livingrock, where you can craft them, but it also requires resources.

3. I don't think the light spell is available anywhere else in the game. The doc / creator mentionned that you can't find in the wild any spell that requires a red gem.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I have two spare Gold keys, so time to put them to good use.

I don't have a single red gem though, but I know I can get one if I solve the projectile-puzzle in the Lake of Tears.

I hope the mining thing doesn't steer this mod into autism-land.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
This thread made me finally start this game again. I'm using the magics mod and liking it so far. There are another mods that you recommends?

After playing several, "The Guardians" is best mode. Just play on Normal (Hard is hard).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Damn it. It's as I feared.

"Lost City" is finely crafted Tryhard Autism. "Guardians" is finely crafted Tryhard Autism squared.

Much like "Magic of Grimrock" it introduces a lot of new and cool things, but Magic lacked direction and its campaign primarily acted as a showcase for its additions. Lost City/Guardians however, is painstakingly designed from the ground up with ingenious levels and puzzles and tons of new additions, but ultimately all dancing on a flawed concept: Turning a non-'survival horror'-game into a 'survival horror'-game.

All the new additions of Lost City/Guardians outright demand that more time is spent taking them in, but then that stupid game design decision to have the party on the clock before it starves to death becomes the centerpoint. In "Lost City" there was a simple gem economy that allowed for versatile gameplay, but the outright removal of respawning monsters that dropped food renders most of that moot as players have to constantly be scrounging for food or gems to buy food with. "Guardians" takes this concept to its extreme, there are several economies working together now, but it doesn't change the main problem: There are no respawning monsters that drop food anywhere, and almost all food items now give lesser sustenance, and extra steps need to be taken to even get close to "normal" food-levels of Grimrock, meaning that preventing the party from starving becomes Priority One from the start. Trying to enjoy any of the game's (or mod's) other qualities takes a back seat to this, to the point that it kills all enjoyment that could be on offer.

Due to the many changes these mods introduce, comphresenive documentation is needed to explain the changes. Ha-ha, fuck you, that doesn't exist. Want to learn anything about these mods? Either read forums like the Codex, or use trial and error to experiment. Yes, Trial and Error. In a mod that has the player on the clock, therefore abusing the everloving hell out of the Save/Load-function. That kinda shit could fly 30 years ago because technological limitations didn't always allow for optimal gameplay in games, but there is no excuse for that kind of crap in a mod made and released today. I don't have time for such nonsense, and I shall not waste another second on these mods.

I recognize the brilliance at work here, but I also see the autism in it. I don't care what the author thinks is "perfectly normal" for this mod, because not only does the base game it's running in disagrees vehemently, but so do the many other complex additions of the mod. It's like creating a Grimrock-mod that removes the Light-spell and every damn light source imaginable from the game, and then expects players to have fun in the dark. Inevitably there will be troglodytes out there that would enjoy such a mod, but what about everyone else?

I have a few Grimrock 1-mods saved away because they're good and worth playing. Sadly I have yet to find a single mod for Grimrock 2 worth saving. That includes both of these two mods, I'm afraid.

The search goes on...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I can never play this game more than a couple hours each run. It's odd because I love the original and have beaten it. I honestly think it being open world and not in a calustrophobic dungeon is the reason why. I just don't like the tropical island vibe.

You are spot on

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I have a few Grimrock 1-mods saved away because they're good and worth playing.
Thank you for your input ITT regarding LoG 2. May I ask, which LoG 1 mods are worth playing (except the Master Quest)?

The ones I have saved are: Master Quest (v1.4), The Mines of Malan Vael (v1.4), Master Key, Chaos Key (v1.04) and Master Arakk's Treasure.

The Mines of Malan Vael is a short 5-level dungeon in a mine, but it's still well done.

Master Key is heavily inspired by Dungeon Master, and Chaos Key heavily inspired by Chaos Strikes Back!, they will challenge you.

You can also try tracking down the Legend of Grimrock 1-thread, where I take a more in-depth look at the above mods, plus several other mods.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
All the new additions of Lost City/Guardians outright demand that more time is spent taking them in, but then that stupid game design decision to have the party on the clock before it starves to death becomes the centerpoint. In "Lost City" there was a simple gem economy that allowed for versatile gameplay, but the outright removal of respawning monsters that dropped food renders most of that moot as players have to constantly be scrounging for food or gems to buy food with. "Guardians" takes this concept to its extreme,

I have a few Grimrock 1-mods saved away because they're good and worth playing. Sadly I have yet to find a single mod for Grimrock 2 worth saving. That includes both of these two mods, I'm afraid.
The search goes on...

I didnt use even 1 gem for food in Lost City. Had plenty of it when got to ending.
The Guardians i actually thought of it, but kinda have some reserves so not to. But if i need, i have like 25 blue and 30 green gems.

p.s. Try Eye of Atlantis mod for LoG2.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
What are devs of LoG1&2 doing now? Any good game (except Druidstone which was ok, but not great)?

Nyast

Cipher
I didn't mind the survival / food / gem aspects of the Guardians mod. In fact, I do appreciate the struggle.

But now that I'm reaching the end game, what I really dislike is how the mod goes full retarded combat heavy. I'm not finding anymore all that I liked in the early / mid game, the non-linear exploration, the feeling of discovering new unknown areas, the fine balance between combat, exploration and resource management etc.. The end game is all about fighting waves of monsters the most efficient way. I'm in the pyramid now, and you have to fall into a pit and finish the pyramid before you can get out again. You're forced to fight about 30 monsters in small rooms, without the ability to move / dance around - just pure fighting being blocked on a single tile, unless I'm missing something obvious. I hope you enjoy facing 20+ lizards that can petrify you, without being able to use mobility to dodge them. It's annoying as hell.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
So it's even worse than I thought - "Guardians" is wholly 100% "Lost City" squared, and on steroids.

You spend 80% of the time preparing for the final 20%.
You have all these cool new features and additions, most of which are non-combat related. (You also have a few pants-on-earlobes retarded things, but you can't win all of them.)
And yet, all of it won't amount to jack-shit, because the end is just tough fight after tough fight.

There's a way to play Grimrock 2, it involves min-maxing the hell out of the game and abusing potions like there's no tomorrow. Remember the final pyramid fight in vanilla LoG2? Imagine clearing that in a couple of minutes. The option is there, it's just ugly and reeks of autism. (Hint: Rage potions. Lots and lots of them.)

This mod seems to rely on that fringe-factor of gameplay. Meanwhile there's the rest of the playerbase, who wish to take a more relaxed approach to the game, but wouldn't mind some new content. For them these two mods look really appealing, but eventually turn out to be a colossal disappointment. If someone could, in a producer-type role, rein in the author of these mods and force them to tone down some of the obnoxious over-the-top bullshit that's in them, we might have a couple of winners here.

But sadly we don't. Brilliant author goes too far in his genius, Film at 11.

Nyast

Cipher
You're right, it's strange how he changes the formula of the game towards the end. It feels like playing a completely different game/mod.

That being said, I still think it's a fantastic mod. I don't know if I'll have the motivation to finish it now, but I can't say I regret my ~35 hours in it so far. There's a ton of content, really cool dungeons, well done puzzles and tough encounters ( not the spammy type ) to have fun with, and all for free. Can't ask for too much.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
The end game is all about fighting waves of monsters the most efficient way. I'm in the pyramid now, and you have to fall into a pit and finish the pyramid before you can get out again. You're forced to fight about 30 monsters in small rooms, without the ability to move / dance around - just pure fighting being blocked on a single tile, unless I'm missing something obvious. I hope you enjoy facing 20+ lizards that can petrify you, without being able to use mobility to dodge them. It's annoying as hell.

Did you play Lost City?

Difference is that in Lost City this mummies respawn non-stop. And here they are limited :)

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
There's a way to play Grimrock 2, it involves min-maxing the hell out of the game and abusing potions like there's no tomorrow. Remember the final pyramid fight in vanilla LoG2? Imagine clearing that in a couple of minutes. The option is there, it's just ugly and reeks of autism. (Hint: Rage potions. Lots and lots of them.)

They fixed/nerfed Rage potions with new update. You wont get much from them.

p.s. I finished on Hard without using even 1 Rage potion. And i know it is possible to do hard solo-run. So no, difficulty is fine. More difficult that LoG2 (which was easy on hard), though.

TwoEdge

Scholar
Well, Petri Häkkinen, one of the leads, is making a dungeon crawler for the VIC-20, Fall of the Black Mage.

https://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/post/the-fall-of-the-black-mage-for-vic-20-preview/

Other than that, I don't know, but they seem pretty quiet.

Can you explain why he makes game for VIC-20, very old computer that noone has?
It's a stylistic choice, every hardware generation and device had an appeal, be it the way its sound chip behaved or the quirks of its dev tools, limitations breed creativity and whatnot. Also, nostalgia. Don't worry though, emulating a VIC-20 is trivial nowadays and I'm pretty sure it will be released natively on PC.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
When I started playing, I thought the mod was on the easy side. I never had any trouble with monsters / combat.. that is, until the mid game. Monsters started to hit hard, cause some disabilities ( fucking birds that make you blind ), and have a ton of hitpoints. I'm now reaching the point where I feel clearly under-levelled, but I've pretty much finished all the available maps and solved all the riddles / secrets I could. I've now reached a level that is full of dozens of monsters, and killing even one of these takes a significant amount of resources / effort. Add to that mobility / level layout restrictions, and I'm not sure how I can progress further.

This is in normal difficulty. I can't imagine how bad it'll be in hard mode.

Just finished Solo run on hard.
Solo minotaur barbarian dual-wielding swords.

After you tell that normal is too difficult for full party, i decided to test difficulty myself.
Thank you for being inspiration, serious here. Any other mods that are too difficult for full party on normal?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom