Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
He's such a bro.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
It will increase mod amount? There are already a lot of mods, what exactly it would change? Someone with dev skillz please explain.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It will increase mod amount? There are already a lot of mods, what exactly it would change? Someone with dev skillz please explain.

# Ensures compatibility with future OSs and technological advances.

# Fan-based bug-fixing (if needed).

# Opens up possibilities to expand the game beyond the scope and vision of the devs. (Example: Remember how Ogres charge? Want the party to be able to do the same as a special ability of a weapon, for example? Get in there and code it in!)

But yeah... also, increased and more varied mod-amount.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone can recommend good polished mod with challenging fights?

Played The Guardians, Lost City and Eye of Atlantis.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The Mountain. It's intended as a follow-up to the main LoG2-campaign, meaning you import the party from the normal campaign and start empty-handed in this one.

IIRC this was also the mod with the "big fight" involving finding pairs of Elemental Essences and placing them at an altar, which unlocked elemental Wardens, who would then come charging at you.

IMO it was alright, didn't do anything overly stupid but didn't really grip me either.

Fall of the Black Mage seems to be getting a partial rewrite in Forth because 6502 assembler just wasn't good enough. I don't know how that even makes sense, but apparently it does.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah, thanks for the heads up. If I'm going to play Grimlock mods, then I want to play the good ones.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Any news about what Petri is doing now? Druidstone wasn't bad, a schweet little canape, but it wasn't exactly a hall of fame material.

He has talent, I'd like to see him doing something a bit more ambitious.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Any news about what Petri is doing now? Druidstone wasn't bad, a schweet little canape, but it wasn't exactly a hall of fame material.

He has talent, I'd like to see him doing something a bit more ambitious.

Last I heard, he was working on something on the Commodore Vic-20.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Just started playing Grimrock II and it reminded me how fun exploration, puzzle solving and secrets can be. Hate the combat, though, since it seems to be designed to be played by backpedaling or dancing around enemies.

Any other recent games that capture or build upon this sense of exploration? I really enjoy finding a hidden button on the wall, then figuring out what it does, or coming upon a riddle that isn’t brain dead filler, paired with the general scarcity of loot and the value of what is gained by discovering secrets or solving puzzles.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just started playing Grimrock II and it reminded me how fun exploration, puzzle solving and secrets can be. Hate the combat, though, since it seems to be designed to be played by backpedaling or dancing around enemies.

Any other recent games that capture or build upon this sense of exploration? I really enjoy finding a hidden button on the wall, then figuring out what it does, or coming upon a riddle that isn’t brain dead filler, paired with the general scarcity of loot and the value of what is gained by discovering secrets or solving puzzles.

Have you done all your mandatory oldies like Wizardries or M&Ms? There is a bunch of modern blobbers too - MMX, BT4 (if you REALLY like puzzles), 7 Mages, Operencia, The Keep, Grimoire and I'm sure there is a whole bunch of others, mostly tiny and niche, that others will point out.

Grimrock 2 is the best of the modern blobbers IMO (not counting Grimoire because it plays much more like a classic). Vaporum games are okay, and I quite liked MMX, but that’s a controversial opinion. Lords of Xulima is also good, but regardless none of them match Grimrock II when it comes to exploration.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Grimrock 2 is the best of the modern blobbers IMO (not counting Grimlire because it plus much more like a classic). Vaporum games are okay, and I quite liked MMX, but that’s a controversial opinion. Lords of Xulima is also good, but regardless none of them match Grimrock II when it comes to exploration.
Mostly agree, but I would say that Xulima comes very close though. It may be a bit less immersive due to top-down perspective, but mechanically its exploration is very good.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Have you done all your mandatory oldies like Wizardries or M&Ms?
I actually haven’t played M&M except a bit of Mandate of Heaven a few years after it released (and the Heroes games). Maybe I should go back through the series.

There is a bunch of modern blobbers too - MMX, BT4 (if you REALLY like puzzles), 7 Mages, Operencia, The Keep, Grimoire and I'm sure there is a whole bunch of others, mostly tiny and niche, that others will point out.
I tried MMX and didn't hate it, I only got up through the first lighthouse area but I don't remember any puzzles/secrets. Does it actually have good exploration?

BT4 I have avoided because of posts I read in the codex thread.

Operencia looks interesting, thanks for the tip.

The Keep, I watched some gameplay of a guy trying to slide his mouse around and swipe at a crate for 2 minutes, but the exploration does seem like it could be good.

Grimoire is going to happen one day, but I feel like I need to dedicate some proper time to it when life slows down.

Mostly agree, but I would say that Xulima comes very close though. It may be a bit less immersive due to top-down perspective, but mechanically its exploration is very good.
Thanks, I've actually wanted to play Xulimia for a long time and haven't gotten around to it. Maybe it will be my next one after GRII.

I would love a game that combines the sort of complex combat and character progression from DRPGs with the exploration of Grimrock II.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Xulima is great, just not sure exploration is its main draw. It's a very loot and combat oriented game. Too bad we've never gotten a sequel coz the devs decided they want them Kwan dorrarz and made a zombie game.

If you like complex combat, deep chardev, labyrinthine dungeons with devious puzzles and a jaw-dropping, NPC-packed world to explore then Wizardry 7 has you covered. 30 years on and it's still the ultimate pinnacle of party-based RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom