Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I honestly can't remember whether the weapons remain the same in 'Guardians' compared to LoG 2 / Lost City. 'Guardians' starts making lots of changes to base items, which is what 'Lost City' didn't do. Expect to need to restart with a better party at least once in 'Guardians'.

Earlier in this thread (page 37) I outline what my default party is like, and I'm told by an expert on the mod that on Normal my party was fine - it's only if I would play on Hard that I would need to min/max-optimize.

Hope this helps.

Covenant

Savant
Having a good time with Guardians so far, but I've stumbled into doing the Maze of Madness, and common sense is telling me I'm going to lose the Singing Stone and Flute once I finish. There's a sign that says 'There are three of them. If you missed them, you will never find them'. I'm presuming/hoping this refers to secrets in the area, and I've found three, which is good. But there's also a weird little passage with a sign saying 'Guess why this passage exists', and I have no idea why it exists, so it's making me wonder if there's another secret there which I'm just not seeing (it's hard to really think about what that passage is allowing me to do, given that the Singing Stone/Flute is already allowing so much potential backtracking).

Have I found everything I need to, or am I potentially going to miss some things forever if I finish the area now?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
From what I recall: That part is tons of trickery. The mod tells you to expect to hand over 12 prizes in total, but you can earn and hand over more (Hint: The greeter at Ratlington can receive three levels of payment, what did you give him?) for end-game content.

One of the many downsides of 'Guardians' for me was the end-game content. :(

Covenant

Savant
Okay, what the hell is the deal with the air elemental room in the Citadel in Guardians? Is there some secret way of fighting these guys that I've been missing since the vanilla game? Because I'm only aware of the Dispel spell and the ethereal dagger. With one caster, one guy with the dagger, and one guy using the staff that activates for dispel, I can't outpace their healing to any reasonable degree.

Am I meant to be using potions of amnesia to respec everyone as casters for this one fight, or what?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Just started playing this mod off the back of Lost City and enjoying it so far (about eight maps in). The comments about the last 20% being stand up fights doesn't appeal to me at all though...

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I am in the Lost God's Shrine and there is a power gem behind a steel door, with 4 nearby locked chambers. I have unlocked 3 of them and can't work out where the last key might be for the SE chamber... Anyone remember?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Long shot that anyone is currently playing this, but anyway... I am in the Undertown map and
found a non-reinforced wall which I can mine with a pickaxe. After three goes, it creates a cave-in which I cannot pass and also doesn't seem to unblock anywhere else...
Anyone know what this does?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Got my answer to the above...

You get a clue elsewhere that you can blow up some blockages with a fire bomb, as is the case here.

Something that has been bugging me for a while now; I can't figure out how to open the treasury in Ratlington. Anyone know the solution to the puzzle?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Okay, what the hell is the deal with the air elemental room in the Citadel in Guardians? Is there some secret way of fighting these guys that I've been missing since the vanilla game? Because I'm only aware of the Dispel spell and the ethereal dagger. With one caster, one guy with the dagger, and one guy using the staff that activates for dispel, I can't outpace their healing to any reasonable degree.

Am I meant to be using potions of amnesia to respec everyone as casters for this one fight, or what?
This was a bit of a bastard... I had the same set up as you (3 effective damage dealers). Initially, you can block some of the healing the elementals get from lightning using a spell barrier. This should give you enough time to kill one elemental quickly. After that, I put myself in one of the alcoves that didn't have a lightning emitter in it and hunkered down. I used a shield spell to keep damage to a minimum and a couple of speed potions and then just concentrated on getting off hits/spells as quickly as possible. It took a few minutes, but I was able to kill them all using a single blue crystal. You can tell at least if you are winning the DPS battle since there is a boss damage bar at the top of the screen.

EDIT: For clarity...

Last edited:

Covenant

Savant

This was a bit of a bastard... I had the same set up as you (3 effective damage dealers). You can block some of the initial healing by lighting using a barrier, which will help you kill one elemental quickly. After that, I put myself in one of the alcoves that didn't have a lighting emitter in it and hunkered down. I used a shield spell to keep damage to a minimum and a couple of speed potions and then just concentrated on getting off hits/spells as quickly as possible. It took a few minutes, but I was able to kill them all using a single blue crystal. You can tell at least if you are winning the DPS battle since there is a boss damage bar at the top of the screen.

That's pretty much exactly how I ended up beating it in the end too.

I've since made my way onto Final Adventure and have left the game on hold very close to the end, as I'm reluctant to finish it knowing that there isn't a sequel to go onto. I think Adrageron's work on these mods has been phenomenal, far outstripping the level design of the original game, and it's a real shame that his work hasn't been more widely recognised or that he hasn't been snapped up by a good studio.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I started Vaporum the other day but when done with it ill try out this guy's mods, sounds fun. Only played LoG2 once and finished it.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I finally got to the end of The Guardians mod...
  • I ended up cheating (item spawn) to get the Forest Cloak required to face the final boss. I had quite a few secrets left and couldn't be arsed trying to work out which one it was behind...
  • In the homeworld garden, one of the watchers tells me "you could not defeat the violator of the balance"; was there any way to actually achieve this?

I think it will be a least a year before I try for the final one in the series, but it was a great ride. A salute to the mod author!

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Getting into this after being bored by King's Field 4 first couple of hours. Should I play the first game, the second, jump straight to the mods, and/or use Magic of Grimrock?

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Getting into this after being bored by King's Field 4 first couple of hours. Should I play the first game, the second jump straight to the mods, and/or use Magic of Grimrock?
The only real weakness of the first Legend of Grimrock is that it's a bit too much of an homage to Dungeon Master, but it's an excellent game and worth playing. The second game has much more varied environments and adds an interesting class/skill system (where the first had only three classes and a boring skill system). Play both!

D9WOkSe.png
z49Nbyb.png

urK4GNj.png
6JxKjs2.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Getting into this after being bored by King's Field 4 first couple of hours. Should I play the first game, the second jump straight to the mods, and/or use Magic of Grimrock?
As ppl said, play both, they're grate.

As for Magic of Grimrock, it's definitely an excellent mod but not sure if it changes too much maybe? So if you wanna taste the vanilla experience it's probably not the best first choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom