Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of the Round Table - a strategic RPG that plunges you into Arthurian folklore with hand-drawn art and medieval music

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer

I'm generally pretty pessimistic about new games (even moreso for AAA), but this indie games looks absolutely stunning. Looks like a good RPG with strategy RPG elements (managing knights, sending them on quests, etc.), but the fact that it has hand-drawn illuminated parts and authentic medieval music is really what makes it shine. I wish more games had style like this. It looks like something an early 90s studio would do (like Doom having hand-made monsters scanned-back into sprites).

Supposed to come out this year. I have played one of their other game when it came out (Sang-Froid), and the gameplay was decent enough but really the style was the biggest point. If this one has good RPG and just as much style with this setting, it's going to be a banger I'm pretty sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Discover the unique gameplay of Legends of the Round Table, a narrative strategic RPG that plunges you into the world of King Arthur and his Knights.

You'll manage the Round Table, guide its Knights through exciting adventures inspired by real medieval tales and rewrite the legends through the choices you make.

00:00 Introduction
00:14 Legends of the Round Table in one sentence
00:33 Premise
00:43 Quests & Knights
00:57 Cinematics, Art & Music
01:17 Non-Linear Adventures
01:39 Challenges
02:09 Magic
02:28 Combat
03:39 And much more!
03:52 Outro

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
guess names of the knights

1XVSmvI.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Where's the Indian Gawain? Has no one seen that piece of trash critically acclaimed Green Knight movie?

Or the japanese Lancelot?

Camelot? Anglo ur-myth? Pfffft, it's all good fun for GAME PRODUCT™.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
EDIT:
Okay I checked and sometimes in modern literature, some knights are presented as African because of its roman ties. E.g. "In Bernard Cornwell's The Warlord Chronicles, "Sagramor" is a fierce Numidian veteran of the old Roman army who serves as Arthur's trusted chief cavalry officer, having traveled to Britain after the collapse of the Western Roman Empire. His uniqueness in the setting as a black person makes him particularly feared by Arthur's enemies, the invading Saxons." The idea ain't bad per se, but I feel it might be done for weird reasons here.

Personally I would have kept the classical trope that "everyone is from Late Antiquity but looks like late Medieval Age". That's the classic trope of Arthurian mythos, and it's why it's so important to the Anglo-Saxon (and by the side, French) sphere.

EDIT2:
Also there is actually an important knight that was middle eastern (and his brother, Safir). He converted to christianity and all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palamedes_(Arthurian_legend)

Serus

Arcane
Patron
EDIT:
Okay I checked and sometimes in modern literature, some knights are presented as African because of its roman ties. E.g. "In Bernard Cornwell's The Warlord Chronicles, "Sagramor" is a fierce Numidian veteran of the old Roman army who serves as Arthur's trusted chief cavalry officer, having traveled to Britain after the collapse of the Western Roman Empire. His uniqueness in the setting as a black person makes him particularly feared by Arthur's enemies, the invading Saxons." The idea ain't bad per se, but I feel it might be done for weird reasons here.

Personally I would have kept the classical trope that "everyone is from Late Antiquity but looks like late Medieval Age". That's the classic trope of Arthurian mythos, and it's why it's so important to the Anglo-Saxon (and by the side, French) sphere.

EDIT2:
Also there is actually an important knight that was middle eastern (and his brother, Safir). He converted to christianity and all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palamedes_(Arthurian_legend)
Numidians were from North Africa not Sub Saharan Africa, they weren't black, probably more Middle Eastern looking.
Also that's Cornwell, as much as I like his Napoleonic stuff, he seems to be a bit, how to spell it, not woke by any means, but he does some questionable choices in describing the characters and factions. In the series about Danish invasions, Alfred the Great, being Christian, is portrayed as a dull guy with hemorrhoids. As are most Christians (minus the hemorrhoids) while Danes are all sturdy and cool chads. Why would anyone ever become Christian in Cornwell's depiction of reality instead of wanting to be a based pagan chad and have all the hottest women. It is a mystery.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Fuck! For about 10 seconds I was all 'Darklands? Is that you?' And halfway to dreaming of an Arthurian low fantasy Darklands game set on the British Isles but nope, games suck and its 2024, what was I thinking!

Modron

Arcane
Seems like there will be a demo soonTM and a playtest for those willing to brave discord: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2387040/view/4193493367523447187
The Green Knight, The Medieval Fair & The Demo
It's the end of the month, it's news time from Artifice Studio!

Greetings adventurers!

Earlier this May, we had the pleasure of meeting some of you at the Medieval Passion Fair here in Quebec and met quite a few future players We setup a PC so the visitors could try out the game and it was a resounding success!

b255e3bb04d8fca7fc7a16332c86d3ff13eaa353.jpg

The Green Knight

We're ready to tell you a little more about another of our adventures, which is inspired by the poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by the anonymous poet known as Pearl.

In The Green Knight, a mysterious man covered in greenery comes to King Arthur's court to challenge one of the Knights of the Round Table to strike him. Normally it's Gawain who rises to the challenge and beheads him. The Green Knight picks up his head and proclaims that whoever accepted the challenge must receive the same blow from him, in a year and a day at the Green Chapel, in Wales.

cef9135fc2fb3681f3276766a89230faa695f1bc.jpg

Following the storyline of the original tale required adaptations to make it interactive and enjoyable to play. The symbols and layers of meaning, typical of tales and texts with a mythical background, have been preserved but also adapted to deepen certain aspects, provide explanations to the player, and achieve better coherence between gameplay actions and narration.

6e82ca1b5c8051b43edd0b8aef8f53aff31fb1d1.jpg

This adventure combines dreamlike sequences with moments of investigation and courtesy, as well as battles with monstrous creatures. And as you can see, it takes place in snowy landscapes...

We also greatly appreciated David Lowery's film The Green Knight with Dev Patel in the role of Gawain!

The Demo

We have a playable demo coming soon and are looking for players for our very first playtests! If you're interested, join our Discord server and pick the "playtest" role.

Thanks everyone and until next time!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Discover the unique gameplay of Legends of the Round Table, a narrative strategic RPG that plunges you into the world of King Arthur and his Knights.

You'll manage the Round Table, guide its Knights through exciting adventures inspired by real medieval tales and rewrite the legends through the choices you make.

00:00 Introduction
00:14 Legends of the Round Table in one sentence
00:33 Premise
00:43 Quests & Knights
00:57 Cinematics, Art & Music
01:17 Non-Linear Adventures
01:39 Challenges
02:09 Magic
02:28 Combat
03:39 And much more!
03:52 Outro

Stop touching this with your Death Curse, this might actually be worthwhile.

TheKing01

Literate
Looks excellent. One of the only games that executed Arthurian lore properly ironically enough was a mod for NWN1 (Knights of the Holy Grail).

Vulpes

Scholar
The 3D character models stick out like a sore thumb. They should've gone with 2D sprites instead

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom