Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let’s command you guys in Firefight !

ValeVelKal

Arcane
How many smooks left?

8 rounds. We have a mysterious case of disappearing artillery shells, as I should have shot 6 shells (2 x 3, once to cover Azira, once to block the LoS of the French tank) out of starting 16 - so we actually spent 8. It looks like every time it shoots 3 adjusting shells it actually consumes 4 for reasons ^^. Same thing has happened with the HE shells if you remember. I will report the bug.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
How many smooks left?

I'll target the french tank. :salute:

How will you do that?

Egosphere do you want my guys to push forward around you, or?

Yeah.

I'll go here and shoot at the only infantry that's still active:

lSClMz9.png

I'll try and steer clear of that green arrow, in case we get some unpleasant surprise from the north
all right
my squad scouts ahead of Egosphere and provides support, through the hedge to the next warehouse north of the planned tank position

Egosphere

Arcane
In whatever way my commanding officer deems best. :salute:

I don't know. They're shooting artillery to the east. You have two options to engage: i) at the graveyard junction near where Boot got killed, and where the AT gun and Tindirli's apc stand burning ii) yolo your way right up north, in between the two infantry units, and then turn right to hit that tank from behind. Bear in mind that Falksi will engage that tank in about 30 seconds, whilst it'll take you minutes to get to either position

all right
my squad scouts ahead of Egosphere and provides support, through the hedge to the next warehouse north of the planned tank position

Once that's done, I can turn the corner and park just to the east of said warehouse. Hopefully the ruins of the AT gun up north will be enough to conceal me from anything lurking up there.

Egosphere

Arcane
Ok, then, I'll modify my command a little.

Jmuu7u1.png

Smoke off the road so that Azira doesn't have to worry about anyone being behind him as he's coming up. Once he makes it across the railway tracks (and once CappenVarra has taken up the position in that warehouse), then push me north, close to the knocked out AT gun. We'll sing the devil's song as we launch our three-pronged attack.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Germany - Part IX-Thirty-third to forty-third minutes into reaching the target

These were the orders given to the troops :

MzuYgER.jpg

On the left, Leutnant Egosphere's Panzer 38(t) and CappenVarra's men would progress carefully toward the enemy line, with Egosphere's machine guns assuring suppression. On the right, Falksi's Panzer III would seek and destroy the enemy French tank, while the Leutnant Eryfkrad would first capture the AT gun crew and then hop from warehouse to warehouse to close the distance with the French. In the middle, Ob. Azira would advance fast, rack all the buildings occupied by the enemy with MG fire, and try to flank the French tank. Finally, Tindrli's men would stay put as per Tindrli's instructions, and Catacombs men would switch warehouse for a marginally better firing position.

Leutnant ERYFKRAD 's capture of the gun crew was quick. The two wounded men just had their weapons removed, while the one Frenchman would could still stand was forced on the ground, and obviously disarmed as well :

zKRcC5p.png

Egosphere's tank was the first to move forward, racking the various buildings with a large number of bullets

Fu6NdRP.png

Shortly thereafter, Azira's Panzer advance allowed him to suppress almost all French position. On the right, Falksi's panzer was firing along the railroad track - probably inefficient as far as suppression was involved, but impressive nonetheless. At this point, most Frenchmen had to keep their head down anyway, so it was just more terrifying noise around them.

nU0Pa5o.png

as Azira's tank was in the middle of the track, between the most advanced French unit and the rest of the enemies, some of the French in the hedge tried to run back to the warehouse.

SZwey0N.png

One, then two, then three Frenchmen were mowed down.

2vN3B4Z.png

2jzGpuY.png

Meanwhile, the French laid an ineffective battery fire in the unoccupied warehouses in the East :

BsfRgHX.png

... while Sukhavati was laying an effective mortar fire on one of the French positions :

lZjWYwS.png

This was the global situation at this point :

i2xBAz5.png

Azira's focus on the soldiers running across the tracks had allowed the Frenchmen in the central warehouse to dare shoot a few rounds in Leutnant Catacombs ' squad direction, explaining why his men had progressed so little. Meanwhile, Leutnant Eryfkrad's men, which were not under fire at all, had move very quickly through the warehouses.

It was time for Ob/. Azira and U. Falksi to move toward the only threatening French asset : their one light tank :

RPFgnBw.png

The tanks got closer of the suspected tank position ...

nOxgaN9.png

... and closer....

LJrDfCl.png

... until finally it was just in front of Falksi's Panzer III F, maybe 30 meters away :

srS6yvY.png

It was an R-35. In the few seconds during which Falksi's gunner was aiming, the French tank did not move - either the crew which had no infantry support and limited awareness of its surrounding did not see the tanks closing in, or more likely the turret & tracks had been disabled by the early German artillery barrage.

And eventually :

Efwp5aS.png

The French tank was destroyed.

9PipzEr.png

U Falksi had no time to lose, and already they had noticed another target - a running Frenchman - though they would not hit him.

The French situation now seems desperate :

Hrzkxor.png

Falksi

Arcane
Take that you froggie fanny! Boom!

:imperialscum:

I'm happy to backup the mop up however the rest of the squad see fit.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
Valevelkal said:
or more likely the turret & tracks had been disabled by the early German artillery barrage.

Good to know those 12 shots did something, at least.

I will drive north east, suppressing the two infantry units whilst CappenVarra makes his move. If they start to retreat, I can drive through the gap between the houses and put some more fire on them.

Edit: I only drive there if Sukhavati stops firing :D

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Final orders? The french scum must be dealt with harshly!
Though I probably should support our infantry, so they can move further up north and act as meatshields flush the remaining frenchies from inside of buildings.
So go a bit south to support and help the advances of Catacomb, Tindrli and eryfkrad.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure I want to allow a retreat. Actually, let me advance toward the suppressed squad. If I catch froggies on the run, well tough luck to them.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
How many smooks left?

8 rounds. We have a mysterious case of disappearing artillery shells, as I should have shot 6 shells (2 x 3, once to cover Azira, once to block the LoS of the French tank) out of starting 16 - so we actually spent 8. It looks like every time it shoots 3 adjusting shells it actually consumes 4 for reasons ^^. Same thing has happened with the HE shells if you remember. I will report the bug.
Meanwhile I tested a bit and understood that issue. The game says it will shoot 3 shells in "adjusting fire", but it actually fires 4, and obviously I usually miss one of the shell because the game can be hectic.

tindrli

Arcane
Ok time to rush north and kill everything that moves. Btw im still stupid and confused. Do i have ammo or not. If not rush north with bayonets and scream "allah u ekber" in a process

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Germany - Part X-Forty-third to fifty-third minutes into reaching the target

Well, with the one French tank destroyed and the French in full retreat, it is time for assault :

jNREN5B.png

Jumping on the other side of the line of tree, Leutnant Catacombs men see a French running across the track. The first shoots have him duck into the very limited protection of the tracks. Leutnant Catacombs throw two grenades in his direction killing him. On the right, two of Catacomb's men capture another Frenchman left behind :

ARxg4rJ.png

Meanwhile, Leutnant Eryfkrad's men have already crossed the tracks...

y09U2iX.png

His men then proceed to clean-up the warehouse, capturing two stragglers from the group that was occupying the warehouse, and that one Frenchman who had managed to cross the tracks under heavy fire :

CHutp5T.png

On the left, the heavy machine-gun fire from Leutnant Egosphere's tank allows CappenVarra and his man to cross safely. As they cross, they see three Frenchmen running West under fire :

kAdlxY7.png

Four Frenchmen were captured - the one too coward to try to retreat under fire to fight another day :

6SEer4o.png

CappenVarra's men also found four French bodies, killed either by Sukhavati's prolonged mortar fire, by the Panzer 38(t) weapons or by the small arm fire from his men - or any combination thereof.

On the right, Leutnant Catacombs's men finally crossed the tracks, but found themselves under unexpected small arms fire from the French field HQ - wounding one man. Meanwhile, Leutnant Eryfkrad carried on cleaning up the warehouses :

Cu4jTKX.png

nNeAxKz.png

Ob. Azira move his tank in position to doze the resisting French in a rain of bullets. In doing so, he catches up with three stragglers :

2hD7l48.png

His gunner manages to mow down one man but the two other could find cover.

Eryfkrad's men, supported by Falksi's tank, are now moving toward the French HQ. On the way, they force to surrender the wounded R35 crew that was cowering behind a wall.

Yd9GIJS.png

More Frenchmen try to flee West. Azira manage to gun down one ...

jqOie0J.png

... but the other manage to flee in one of the warehouse ...

cd6iLGX.png

... seconds before said warehouse is occupied by CappenVarra's men. The French soldier would not surrender, and is bayoneted by one of CappenVarra's men :

U8Swlb7.png

His duty done, Azira's tank approaches the French HQ more. One French soldier drops his weapon, while more run away :

4ZWkXVd.png

... but doing so they run in front of Falksi's tank and every soldier in Eryfkrad's squad. One Frenchman is wise enough to raise his hands, the two others are shot down :

wNlG1ZC.png

It is the moment of the final assault. Only a few of the remaining Frenchman still fire (wounding one man) while those closest to the door surrender already :

iDIgpuQ.png

As the first of Eryfkrad's men get into the building, seven Frenchmen immediately surrender, raising the little white flag which is, as we all know, part of the French infantry official equipment since the French Cilicia's campaign in 1921. One Frenchman refuses to surrender though - presumably the one that had shot that bullet that wounded one of the German soldiers. He jumps through the window and run to the next warehouse ...

pzH3S2W.png

... where he is captured by CappenVarra's men :

WAhNxcR.png

The German flag is raised on the former French HQ. The battle is won.

AccQ1H6.png

The French had 56 men (4x11 in 4 infantry squads, 2x5 AT gun crew, 2x1 tank crew), out of these 7 survived and avoided capture. Against this, the Germans used 67 men in 4 infantry squads + 1 mortar team, 4 tanks and 1 APC. The Germans lost Pz38(t) and 1 Sd Kfz 251 and it took close to one hour to reduce the French position. All in all, the French could be satisfied of the time they had won for their reserve to counter-attack ...

... wait ...

... what do you mean the French have no reserve ? I am sure they will manage to pull something.

In any case, congratulation to all for this victory.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Btw, ValeVelKal what are the victory conditions? All French units routed/destroyed?
That French flag over the HQ replaced by a German flag :)

Shouldn't be too hard if they only have infantry left. But I wonder if there's an auto-win in the game if that was the case. They might have a 2nd tank hiding away somewhere.

No auto-win, but in 1944-1945 infantry typically has a bit more anti-tank capacity. Even in 1940, there are anti-tank squad with AT Rifles. Not really efficient, but I already saw tank being destroyed by these.

Ok time to rush north and kill everything that moves. Btw im still stupid and confused. Do i have ammo or not. If not rush north with bayonets and scream "allah u ekber" in a process
You had ammo, it is just that one of your machine-gunner was out of ammo and the ammo carriers were in another room and not moving :).

As your troops had lost their commanding officer (in "game terms" the commander of the APC had actually ran from the battlefield though I prefered to keep you playing) their capacity to follow up the comrades in the assault was limited. On the other hand, Eryfkrad troops, with no wounded and no suppression at all, performed incredibly well, moving very quickly across the battlefield.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom