Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let the DRM rape continue! New SimCity

feels like simcity societies 2.0.
i can't find worse insults for a city builder.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
l4o5nFH.png

TPKHcqz.png

4u2q56q.png

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Lesson: I won't be buying SimCity.
I bet that doesn't mean he won't be playing SimCity... :roll:
But but but... Always online surely will prevent the dread pirates from hacking this magnificent piece of software!
Much of the game logic is surely server side, so it probably will in this case, at least for a long time.

There's still no complete pirate version of Diablo 3...

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
It's because it's so shit, nobody cares about it anymore.

Angthoron

Arcane
Lesson: I won't be buying SimCity.
I bet that doesn't mean he won't be playing SimCity... :roll:
But but but... Always online surely will prevent the dread pirates from hacking this magnificent piece of software!
Much of the game logic is surely server side, so it probably will in this case, at least for a long time.

There's still no complete pirate version of Diablo 3...
I wouldn't necessarily attribute that to the supreme power of the Cloud.

Turjan

Arcane
If this thread did one good thing, it was that it made me look at SimCity 4. What a great game! I spent much too much time already on it.

In the beginning, it crashed on me a lot, but I managed to fix that completely. The game runs now stable as a rock. There are tons of people who still produce content every day, it's funny for a game that's more than 10 years old. Morrowind may be similar in some way, but there are not that many fundamental game changers there, like the NAM, which fixes the traffic simulator.

On the other hand, this makes me a bit sad about the new game and the involved shenenigans. I don't know, but the new game doesn't even look that realistic to me. On the plus side, my urge to buy the new Simcity has pretty much subsided by now.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wow. You offer friendly constructive criticism and are instantly banned. EA really is fucking shit.

Wait until release, where you'll get banned from Simcity and every other EA game when you make quality forum posts.

Was that you sea or someone else?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Nah, just some images I found around the Internets.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
When all this DRM bullshit started I evaluated and made the firm decision to never support always online for singleplayer, especially if portions of the game were held server-side. I have lived up to this, not buying Ubisoft games for a while until they removed the requirement, not buying Diablo 3... this will be no different. It's the common sense middle-ground for me, simple authentications are more or less painless and can be removed by others if the companies never do it before going out of business. Always online server hosting is much more insidious.

However I harbor no illusions, the mainstream market don't care. Diablo 3's sales numbers prove that and so will Sim City's.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/05/gamers-line-up-to-play-simcity/

30 minute queues to play a the new Sim City game... it's always online after all, because only socially retarded assholes like singleplayer games. Don't worry though, you can set your world to invitation only and pretend it's singleplayer, suffering the super small city size because you're a desperate douche.

Just wait 30 minutes to play.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has there been an always online AAA title launch that hasn't fucked up and gauged the initial interest correctly?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
At least Diablo 3 Blizzard could halfway justify it with being a multiplayer-heavy game the previous iteration powerhouse that can fuck over anyone they want and still sell copies.

Not so for Sim City EA.

Raapys

Arcane
Has there been an always online AAA title launch that hasn't fucked up and gauged the initial interest correctly?

Don't think so, and doubt there will be. I mean, it's not that they're stupid or can't predict it, it's that it's not a financially sane decision to build that much capacity since a game always lose a big'ish percent of its player base within a week or so. Not to mention that the exact day of release will also have much more players than any other day even if the player-count does hold for a longer period.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
GeminiathXLsays:
tl;dr:
2013: If a game is not perfect, the game must die. Especially if its published by EA.
Seriously, you lot are so tiring. I wonder when gaming became bitching about anything other than the game itself.

rule 48 - for even the most idiotic and unfriendly product, a apologist will arise.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Raapys
Well, if the devil really exists and the always online model manages to become a permanent part of gaming instead of a sad fad, they probably will be able to temporarily borrow the capacity to withstand the launch day users from their other titles. Possibly. Or it will make all the games unplayable, which is what will more likely happen, given the jokers running the industry.

Gord

Arcane
infrastructures.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom