Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let the DRM rape continue! New SimCity

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Fucking hell! I was looking forward to playing this. :rage:

Kirtai

Augur
I mean, it's not that they're stupid or can't predict it, it's that it's not a financially sane decision to build that much capacity since a game always lose a big'ish percent of its player base within a week or so.
I have to wonder how much extra player loss is from people giving up after hitting these problems.

Gord

Arcane
This is somehwat interesting.
Bugs aside, which will probably be fixed eventually, small cities really seem to be a bummer.
And it might be only me, but seeing them talk about some missing features, I get the impression that EA is going to milk the game hard with DLC.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Somehow I have the feeling that someone will crack this and remove the city size limit very soon... and even original buyers will move to the cracked version...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Looks like a fucking disaster. Goddamn. And yeah, it looks like there are so many things missing that it's pretty obvious they're going to be milking dlc like mad.

I'll give it a try in maybe a year or so. Perhaps by then it's the game it should've been at release.

Jashiin

Arcane
And it might be only me, but seeing them talk about some missing features, I get the impression that EA is going to milk the game hard with DLC.

And spin it into something along the lines of: "We've heard your requests ! We will make the blabla-pack soon so these features will be added to the game ! Look at us we listen to our customers !!"

I'm sure the folks at EA are well aware of launch day queues being expected, these are simply acceptable losses to them.

after all why should they give a fuck? the point is selling the game and they already sold it, if the customer gets screwed it's only his own goddamn fault.

Angthoron

Arcane
Despite none of this being any surprise:

Fuck EA

Oh, and if any of you have actually bought this abortion, FUCK YOU.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Somehow I have the feeling that someone will crack this and remove the city size limit very soon... and even original buyers will move to the cracked version...
How much of this is running on the servers?

From what I've read there's something like 50-80mb of data moving in a hour of gameplay and from my limited knowledge that seems quite a lot. Apparently all simulation and stuff is done on the server-side and you have only the shell of game on PC.

Jashiin

Arcane
Excellent, so when EA pulls the plug this abomination is gone forever.

From what I've read there's something like 50-80mb of data moving in a hour of gameplay and from my limited knowledge that seems quite a lot. Apparently all simulation and stuff is done on the server-side and you have only the shell of game on PC.

Apparently you need to sync your city before quitting. That would imply that most/all of it is done client side.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

Apparently you need to sync your city before quitting. That would imply that most/all of it is done client side.

I doubt that. From what I've gathered only the building placement is done on the client side which can sometimes lead into wonky outcomes, like in the TBs WTF is... video. The actual example being that when TBs wife bought a building and got DC, the money paid was nowhere to be found yet the building itself had vanished from sight.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
-Well, I already see cracks (and cracked versions) floating around... Have no idea if they are valid or not (nor do I plan on trying them for this game) but...

So far everything I have heard leads me to believe that sticking with Sim City 4 (or even 2K) is best right now. I watched some reviews online and it looks really lacking and dumbed down and I imagine its going to take a shitload of DLC to give us half of what used to come in vanilla Simcity games.
Actually makes me a bit sad...I had pretty high hopes that the next simcity would be awesome- Thats what I get for "hoping" especially when it comes to EA.
-Not even worth Pirating I would say...

My Buddy plans on legitimately buying it, so I will get to see it this weekend,. hen it might be worth the download, but idk.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm surprised no one has even done a lawsuit on this yet. It would be like paying money at a car dealership for a car, but they won't give you the keys. They will only randomly hand them to you at some random time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm surprised no one has even done a lawsuit on this yet. It would be like paying money at a car dealership for a car, but they won't give you the keys. They will only randomly hand them to you at some random time.

"Sorry, your car is not available to you now, but you can buy this awesome shinier lights upgrade for only 3$! Or you can change the colour of your seatbelts for only 5$! Really good deals, eh?"

Jashiin

Arcane
And in 5 3 years we will shutdown our satnav system. Unfortunately, since the satnav is integrated into the engine of your vehicle it will then become unusable. However do not worry because our new model will be available for pre order well in advance.

By the way, you implicitly signed away your consumer rights when you bought this from us, because consumer rights are actually optional according to our lawyers. Any attempt to contact a lawyer and have them come after us in court will lead to forfeiture of first born child all cars or other products purchased from our fine company, pursuant to section 4.1.2 of the Consumer Satisfaction Agreement, which can be found at the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard' in the basement of our corporate headquarters. *

*The leopard is the joke part

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This is somehwat interesting.
Bugs aside, which will probably be fixed eventually, small cities really seem to be a bummer.
Funny read. Sounds like 2 older guys who haven't played much if any games for many years suddenly being hit in the face with the Decline.

Shadenuat

Arcane
From the videos it seems that, while scope is very small, there are a lot of new curious mechanics and upgrades you could get into. They added production chains like in Anno, you can upgrade buildings, you can issue orders what buildings should do, you can trade with neighbour cities... so maybe it's more like SimRegion, than SimCity.
I'll check this out when multiplayer-only limitation will be "handled". And maybe modders will show EA middle finger and remove borders and stretch regions a few more kilometers wider.

Dexter

Arcane
Another good one:
gXcaWns.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom