Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's bathe in the Pool of Radiance - 14 - Kobold Massacre

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yay, an update!

Q5D71.png

Ewwww.

korenzel said:
And indeed, she does grow stronger than our best warriors.

:incline:

korenzel

Educated
UPDATE 13 - Random Wandering

When we last left our heroes, they were preparing to head out in the wilderness surrounding the city.

OfJbF.png

But before they do that, some of the party's fortune is used to buy a very expensive Fine Composite Long Bow for each of our fighters.

9sEID.png

As a comparison, here's Bee-Chan with the old Short Bow +1, found way back in the Slums at the beginning of the game.

09RqX.png

And here she is with her shining new bow. +3 to THAC0 and +6 to damage, very nice.
It seems these bows take strength bonuses into account, as the effect is less noticeable for our weaker fighters, but it's still very much of an upgrade, and there is little else to spend or save money for at this point.

o0tfp.png

The adventurers then take the boat out of the city, and enter the overland map.

k2us7.png

In the wilderness, they find some random bands of monsters. Here are some stirges.

Adventurers Journal said:
Stirge, level II
These are small, blood-sucking birds.

They don't even make it to our party before falling to a rain of arrows.

sYeF5.png

Following the river north, some monumental construction is discovered on an island.
As the river currently cannot be crossed because of the stench, they will have to find another way in.

5vs81.png

Continuing north, our heroes reach a mountainous area, and soon afterward spot a very dangerous looking beast.

Nx2Fq.png

Entering the cave, they are greeted by a booming voice.

JGPiC.png

We are offered a choice of answers to give here.

GF1KR.png

Of course, the party challenges the mighty beast to a fair fight.

Z9Rbh.png

The dragon comes out of hiding and speaks.

FizXC.png

Hmm, it appears it is not "The Boss", after all. Too bad, but it's still an interesting challenge to our adventurers who have been bored to their tears lately, so they decide to give fighting the monster a try.

ZuZil.png

As mighty as it talks, the monster is cowardly and tries to escape.

o9paA.png

The party gives chase while getting ready for battle.

RgCB4.png

Finally, the beast stops fleeing and seems prepared to fight at last.

hxBAC.png

Some powerful magic stops our heroes dead on their track, and leave them sitting ducks to a strong fireball.

SZKzd.png

Bloodfist dies in the resulting blast, and the rest of the group is severely hurt.
Entering the cave again and challenging the dragon once again leads to the same results.
It appears impossible to fight it, at least until this time warp effect can be countered.

hdNQf.png

Loading up an earlier save, the party encounters a large band of tigers on the way back.

Tiger, level V
These are noble beasts who are both strong and silent. Through their normal prey are animals, they have been known to become "man-eaters".

Pariah and Excidium unleash fire on the beasts, and the few who don't die run away with haste.

oo6KZ.png

Back at the dragon, the party tries the other options.

8xR5M.png

They all lead to the same quest hook : find the kobolds and retrieve some bottle from there.
Since the council also wants our heroes to deal with the kobold threat, this will be their next mission.
At least they now have a vague idea where to look. Far to the east...

xH0hR.png

Along the way, some trolls are ambushed. The days they posed a threat are long gone.

ABylm.png

Going further and further east, finally some kobolds are found and promptly slaughtered.

Ws5j2.png

In the middle of some forest area, an old ruined castle is discovered.

bqQAz.png

In there, no spell casting is allowed, with the exception of Detect Magic in the looting screen.

Zh0a7.png

Most of the floor is impassable but the party manages to find a way.

nDKbs.png

Some giant lizards ambush our adventurers.

1U7XY.png

And also some lizard men. They are as weak as they've ever been and are dispatched with ease.

KAFuz.png

The upper area doesn't contain much save for a dozen tunnel leading down.

tXe93.png

As soon as they step in the lower level, our heroes are ambushed by a large group of giant lizards.
They could have been dangerous in another configuration, but in this corridor, they can only attack one at a time and fall quickly to a barrage of arrows and sword strikes.

uOrCa.png

There is also a legitimate way down, a flight of stairs.

3OBMu.png

Exploring the lower level, the party is ambushed by lizard men coming our of pools of water.
Excidium takes a beating from the ranged attacks, and since spells can't be cast in here, can't be healed.

geN7O.png

The monsters try to retreat in the water.

btKq4.png

However, our adventurers are not about to let them get away with their attack.

3qtPV.png

They fall quickly and easily.

zNO1x.png

And the party is free to search the pool of water they come from for treasure.

lmJTW.png

And treasure is found! Mostly some gold, but also a couple magic shields and a magic sword.

NQSeb.png

Excidium gets very close to death after yet another lizard man ambush.
Lacking other options, the party rests for a month in the lower level to heal him up.

After all the pools are explored, no more lizard men ambush our heroes, and the old keep seems cleared.
The arrows supply has however dwindled, and a stop at the city is necessary before resuming the search for the kobolds.

kfck6.png

On the way back, some Displacer Beasts are discovered.

Displacer Beast, level VI
These creatures are large, black puma-like creatures with two tentacles sprouting from their backs. These creatures can appear several feet from their actual location.

VeFQX.png

They are not immune to fire or arrows, so they fall down quickly, but not before injuring Bloodfist and Godfrey for a couple dozen hit points. A large group of these could be bad news.

TCo2E.png

Back in town, the loot is identified. Two good shields and a useless sword.
Bee-Chan and Godfrey each get a shield upgrade, and their old +1's are sold.

iSNeF.png

While checking with the clerk for new commissions, the party is rewarded for looting the lizardmen castle.

hQlC0.png

Each member earns a decent amount of experience.

Ov9ht.png

And more gold and gems are collected.

w96hg.png

Edward R Murrow earns his fifth magic user level, and learn the always useful Fireball. Our party can now cast four of them, not counting those available from scrolls and the necklace of missiles.
Bloodfist on his end trains to the fifth level of fighter, earning a few more hit points and better fighting abilities.

Next time, the search for the kobolds resumes.

MMXI

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
:lol: "We metallic dragons are good". Some Bioware-level writing there.
:decline:

Godfrey still with the most hit points.

:incline:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
korenzel said:
Excidium gets very close to death after yet another lizard man ambush.
Lacking other options, the party rests for a month in the lower level to heal him up.
A month? Oh well. :lol: Not my fault my AC is so goddamn high.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good thread!

I enjoyed POR but it's not exactly the best game with its simplistic story, silly appraoch to combat encounters , phat loot (+4 equipment for low levels?), and horribad Bethesda type writing.

Sorry, guys, but no BIO wiriting is as bad as 'Don't you know we Silver Dragons are good." L0LZ That's hialrious!

if that was when a BIO game you would be trahsing it but in a SSI game you not only barely mock it in a light tone you feel a need to insult BIO games which ar euniversally better written..

Anyways, fun thread!

I hope GOG finds a way to release the GB games. :)

MMXI

Arcane
Volourn said:
Good thread!

I enjoyed POR but it's not exactly the best game with its simplistic story, silly appraoch to combat encounters , phat loot (+4 equipment for low levels?), and horribad Bethesda type writing.

Sorry, guys, but no BIO wiriting is as bad as 'Don't you know we Silver Dragons are good." L0LZ That's hialrious!

if that was when a BIO game you would be trahsing it but in a SSI game you not only barely mock it in a light tone you feel a need to insult BIO games which ar euniversally better written..

Anyways, fun thread!

I hope GOG finds a way to release the GB games. :)
Sten: Stop that.

Leliana: (Giggles) Stop what?

Sten: That. Looking at me and giggling.

Leliana: I can't help it! You are so big and stoic! Who would have thought you'd be a big softie?

Sten: Stop saying that. I am a soldier of the Beresaad. I am not a "softie."

Leliana: (Giggles) Softie.

Sten: ...I hate humans.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
AS silly as that convo is, it sure the heck beats what the SD says.

Anyways, back to POR.

korenzel

Educated
UPDATE 14 - Kobold Massacre

When we last left our heroes, they were resting from a long trek to the east of Phlan.

NN7FS.png

But they soon resume the search for the kobold camp.

4tFTE.png

As they approach some mountains to the northeast, they are ambushed by some kobolds who don't want to parlay.

TFHp5.png

They are dispatched without difficulty, and a search of the area reveals two caves.
The party enters the large one first.

mC2XZ.png

A Wyvern has made its nest here it appears.

B5omM.png

It looks pretty tough, let's see what the journal says about it:

Wyvern, level VII
These creatures are distant relatives of dragon. They attack by biting and using the poisonous sting in their tail.

This is bad. Poison is instant death if the scorpion encounters are to be trusted.

9KzMq.png

It is. Godfrey is stung and dies immediately, while the beast is coughing in a stinking cloud.

b33D2.png

It tries to attack Bee but fails, then falls helpless. It is slaughtered mercilessly.

briov.png

Bee tries to cast Slow Poison, and to some extent, it works. Godfrey gets back up, but also takes damage once in a while, so our heroes try to head back to town to seek a proper healer,

Not even a single step in the wilds can be taken before Godfrey succumbs to poison for good. An army of kobold then ambushes the party, another unavoidable fight. The game is reloaded before the Wyvern fight.

o6OCo.png

The next try, the Wyvern is slain without it laying its tail on our fighters.

g2MxW.png

It was guarding some small magic items.

XGL9p.png

At the back of the cave, an old kobold is discovered.

TQasV.png

The party is nice to the elderly monster, and it tells them a story.

Told in a pained voice.
'We just got the cut through to the beastie's lair when I injured my leg. King decided there wasn't much use fer me anymore. Made me a proposition though. Said if I went into the lair and brought out the treasure, he'd feed me till I stopped breathin'. Beast deal I had, so they tossed me down here. Not bein' a fool, I lit out for the deepest hidey-hole. Thankfully the beastie was asleep. I can still move real quick when I must.
'Anyway, if there hasn't been much of an alarm, then drunken Ferk must be on watch at the rock. He's the king's son, so he ain't here with me -- worthless sot. If he's here, he's got less brains than a fermented rat, just act officious and he'll take ya ta the king. Wouldn't mind hearin' of that tyrant's demise. Ya seem just the types ta do it too.

So we can avoid a lot of bloodshed and get directly to the king? It sounds like a good idea.

exQPt.png

Our adventurers follow the old kobold's direction, and find an upward slope.

pvfTe.png

The drunk is here alright, and agrees to take the party to the king.

VHGZI.png

He taps on the wall several times on his way, a hint at some trap or perhaps ambush parties were the party not accompanied by him.

Ou8Qx.png

Eventually, our heroes reach a big and wide room, where they are asked to step forward.

vjJKY.png

The welcome is anything but friendly.

oRncG.png

Looks like the cover is blown, and the fight is on.

8W2jl.png

Apart from the trolls on the front row, it's nothing remotely dangerous.
The green monsters are disabled with two Stinking Clouds.

Wm6Uq.png

To speed things up, a fireball is thrown in the middle of the group and clears most of the kobolds.

gC3lN.png

It doesn't take long for the leftovers to surrender.

gxf89.png

The king doesn't take its troop's defeat very well, and fires a Ballista at our heroes!

N3zj0.png

It hurt a lot. Bloodfist and Pariah in particular took some very nasty hits.
For once, Excidium managed to dodge better than anyone.

kUOeE.png

A second wave of kobolds then attacks the wounded heroes. Among them stand Wild Boars.

Wild Boar, level IV
These creatures are the wild relatives of the pig.

They don't sound very dangerous, and can be put to sleep, which they are.

6e2p6.png

Another Fireball is used to clear things quickly.

bbF7U.png

The Wild Boars have an interesting trick, they get back up when they die the first time.
However, they only come back with one hit point, so they are put down for good without too much effort.

7cVFX.png

After many of their ranks die, the kobolds start to surrender. Godfrey and Bee-Chan take this opportunity to patch the most wounded members up a little.

kRuh7.png

But the fight is still not over yet. Two men step forward.
Thank god the Ballista didn't fire again, or the party would be in serious trouble.

Qt3wM.png

They are envoys, and carry what look like magical swords.
They also have halfway decent armor class, and a good pool of hit points. They're probably fighters.

lUhew.png

Except, they're not. One of them cast a magic missile at Edward, dealing twelve points of damage.
This seems to suggest they are magic-users, at least of level three.
This could be very bad, so their spellcasting for this round is interrupted with a Fireball.

YVRLt.png

Time to try out this Silence spell.

6esH6.png

It works, both Envoys are shut up.

73HoE.png

Bee-Chan finishes them off with a Hold Person spell, taking them both out of the fight for good.

LjjOI.png

They were carrying some mysterious "Plate". Is it Plate Mail ?

92rux.png

During the final battle, the king escaped.

Z0CfI.png

It looks like he still has some guards left, amazing.

o0FWK.png

More trolls and boars, along with a couple kobolds.
The remaining Stinking Clouds and Sleep spells are enough to defeat them without too much injury.

9Hm7L.png

As they pursue the King, the party finds him, impaled on a spike.

i8He5.png

Near him, the kobold "treasure" is found. Nothing of value except for the magic-user scrolls.

qS5yj.png

To the north however, the heroes spot a bottle. It could very well be the bottle they were asked to retrieve, so Edward pulls it out.

aPis5.png

An Efreeti come out. Edward is honest and reveals they are in fact not vampires.

2yHIA.png

The Efreeti looks annoyed and goes back in his bottle, after asking to be called out if we ever meet one.
The bottle is now free to be looted, so the party does so.

G1s7i.png

Resting is still dangerous as the party is constantly interrupted. Our adventurers set out to explore the cave a bit before heading out to heal, and find a map for some treasure to the northwest of the caves.

uhkpb.png

In the northwestern area, our heroes stumble upon a young woman, obviously not in league with the kobolds.

yjHxZ.png

She claims to be a princess.

Told in a proud, haughty voice.
'I am a princess of a tribe of nomads to the northwest. My father is an old fool. He wanted me to marry King Al Rasid, to cement an alliance. I had more important things to do, than be tied down to an aging monarch. When I marry, it shall be to someone who has the same taste of adventure and the same skill with a sword.
'Well, Father was insistent and his subjects supported him, so I left to seek my fortune. Kobolds had been raiding our tents upon occasion, so I headed this way. If I could end the threat, then I'd have more leverage with my tribe. However, two nights ago, I was ambushed by these worms -- knocked out and bound up. I finally got myself untied a little while ago and was working my way out of these caves, when you showed up.'

The King has already been slain, so she'll have to seek fame elsewhere.

IYRCS.png

She offers to join though, and the party accepts.

qGSHl.png

She's a very good fighter as far as NPCs go.

4CFVi.png

And she looks like she can handle herself in a fight.

vrsUf.png

Another attempt to rest leads to even more wounds, so it's now time to head out and heal.
On the way, Pariah disables some Net and Spike traps.

nLfzD.png

As the party finally exits the cave, Princess Fatima decides to part ways.

Next time: more kobold caves!

MMXI

Arcane
Fuck yeah! Shame about the wyvern though. I hate having to reload fights purely to get the luck of the dice. Not at all very satisfying.

Anyway, you aren't far from the end now. More!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, the kobold cave is supposed to be cleared before the GY, what with the efreeti-bottle and all. Anyway, good show and onwards to glory! Pyramid or Zhentarim next?

Luzur

Good Sir
yes he is pretty much useable only for the Vampire fight.

i do not remember him joining in some other fights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom