Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's bitch about STEAM! - The Thread!

Regvard

Arcane
"This game requires a free steam account to play."

Yeah, right. Won't buy SP games that require a net connection to play, ever. I'd rather go buy 6 more games at GoG.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I got a better question: What's a fucking FREE Steam account? o_O

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It implies that there's a non-free version of the account.

Not sure if it's what it means here, but free accounts are ones without any paid games on them. They aren't eligible for Steam contests and such. It's to help keep people from farming Summer/Winter sale events.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

It implies there is no cost to having one. You can get a variety of interpretations but I'm sure they just meant it to underscore the fact that having an account itself doesn't require a monthly service a la Xbox.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron

It implies there is no cost to having one. You can get a variety of interpretations but I'm sure they just meant it to underscore the fact that having an account itself doesn't require a monthly service a la Xbox.

And that's what's wrong here. The "default" is a monthly fee account like Xbox Live. Consoletards are taking over the way things work and should be! Run! Run you fools!

LordDenton

Augur
If it requires Steam, it means I get it for free. :)

Steam is one of the most malicious DRM platforms out there, only topped by Ubi's "always-online" DRM scheme.

TripJack

Hedonist
Yeah, right. Won't buy SP games that require a net connection to play, ever. I'd rather go buy 6 more games at GoG.
you would rather give monies to a bunch of thieving pollacks than help fund gabe's coke habit? for shame

Duckard

Augur
Steam DRM

-requires online activation
-activation requires signing up for an account (unnecessary waste of time)
-activation requires downloading and running steam client
-playing game once activated requires running steam client
-signing up for an account requires divulging e-mail adress (you can make a junk e-mail, but that's just another time waste)
-unable to play games when not connected to the internet unless steam's offline mode is activated
-aforementioned offline mode can only be activated while connected to the internet

Steam DRM is not intrusive if you already use steam, but it is very intrusive if you do not. And the offline mode thing is just terrible.

Shannow

Waster of Time
No reselling your game. You rent, you don't buy.
Valve can arbitrarily shut down your access if they feel you've violated their EULA (which you didn't sign at purchase but at installation, which makes it void even before the retarded nonsense in it makes it void). Hell, I've even had a discussion with a steam-apologist who was afraid to say anything bad about Valve on the codex for fear they'd shut down his ability to play his games.
Single player games require internet access.
Any problem server-side is directly transferred to client-side (Changing default settings only mitigates that).
When Valve has crashed and burned, so have your games. All your DVDs are worthless.
It's bloatware.
It's spyware.
And with the threat of you not being able to play the games you paid for, I also consider it malware.
Probably more that I'm forgetting or do not care about.

All those spiky sticks up the legal purchaser's ass don't bother the pirate one whit. He simply sails happily by.
We've had all these discussions a thousand times. Are you apologists trolling or just dense? Use Steam, if don't feel bothered by that stuff, but stop pretending it's not there, ffs...

The majority of Dungeon Siege fans bought it on launch I'm sure but I really have a hard time believing it was profitable considering the price drops and what it takes for something fairly big budget to be profitable these days.
Wut? DS3 shared a few names with the original DSs, nothing else. A DS-fan would have had no special reason to be interested in it. And I find it had to believe that many people do not inform themselves about games they spend 50 bucks on...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh man looks like the 'Obsidian makes mediocre franchise license games' thread transformed into the 'Butt hurt about Steam/mountain out of a molehill game ownership' thread.

catfood

AGAIN
Free anything account is a marketing ploy to get idiots to sign one. 'OMG I CAN HAVE AN ACCOUNT FOR FREE SOMEWHERE I CANT LET THIS OPPORTUNIY PASS!!!111' or 'Well I guess it couldn't hurt if I just made an account it doesn't mean I HAVE to buy anything there derp'. It's like those drug dealers that offer the first does for free, it's the exact same principle. Stop trolling/assping about it ok :)

Cassidy

Arcane
Fanboys gonna fanboy while sucking fat Gabe's dick.

There is absolutely nothing good that came out of Valve and their DRM shit. They only helped the decline with a crapload of indie shovelware and made DRM into a standard for the rest to follow suit. If you don't mind it ok but don't go around like a bunch of unpaid PR dumbfucks.

Obsidian since Alpha Protocol... no comments needed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not a fan boy by any stretch of the imagination and Valve does a lot of shitty stuff. I also recognize the problems inherent in Steam it's just that... I don't give a fuck. The incessant bitching about Steam is just as old as the incessant fan boy praise of it. There's always the GOG forums for stroking off about game ownership rights and how vitally important they are to your everyday life.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is absolutely nothing good that came out of Valve and their DRM shit. They only helped the decline with a crapload of indie shovelware and made DRM into a standard for the rest to follow suit. If you don't mind it ok but don't go around like a bunch of unpaid PR dumbfucks.

Holiday sales, holiday sales, holiday sales.

Yes, handing out games almost for free generates a lot of fan loyalty. Why wouldn't it? It's probably the best reason to be a fanboy.

And btw, by that same logic, PirateBay has lots of fans because it gives the people shit for free. Not because of its ideological anti-IP political stance or whatever. People like you if you give them good stuff, it's pretty simple.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom