Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's board the Orient Express (Completed)

Redshirt #42

Augur
The Last Express

mainmenud.jpg

This is actually my second playthrough of TLE, but I didn't take any screenshots while playing it so I have to start all over again to do this LP. Also, there's a lot of dialogue you can't see in 1 playthrough, but I'll try to cover as much as possible.

Let's begin.

uo0001ag.jpg

uo0003b.jpg

uo0004u.jpg

[Perception] The intro starts at a train station in Paris.

uo0006.jpg

Is this guy the protagonist? :mystary:

uo0007.jpg

uo0008t.jpg

uo0010j.jpg

He looks around. Possibly waiting for someone? Must investigate further.

- Announcer: Ladies and gentleman, your attention please. The Orient Express is now leaving for Strasbourg, Munich, Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade, Sofia and Constantinople. -

uo0011p.jpg

uo0012y.jpg

uo0014g.jpg

uo0015o.jpg

uo0016w.jpg

Are the cops after him?

uo0018f.jpg

uo0019.jpg

uo0020b.jpg

The train leaves. He looks kind of disappointed.

uo0021q.jpg

Looks like these guys missed the train.

uo0024f.jpg

uo0023.jpg

uo0022.jpg

He's going to jump on the train. Will he make it or become an hero?

:CLIFFHANGER TIME:

Nah, just kidding.

uo0025.jpg

Of course he did it. That means he's going to be the protagonist.

uo0029w.jpg

He waves farewell to his companion...

uo0028.jpg

... who turns out to be a woman (or a tranny, I'm not sure).

uo0031b.jpg

Looks like nobody noticed that there's a new passenger. Why was the door open anyway?

Well, that concludes the introduction. Stay tuned for the next update, while I continue to struggle with Imageshack's uploader.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Stay tuned for the next update, while I continue to struggle with Imageshack's uploader.

Get photobucket. Mass uploading is easier and at least your images are guaranteed not to get erased after a year.

Redshirt #42

Augur
Darth Roxor said:
Get photobucket. Mass uploading is easier and at least your images are guaranteed not to get erased after a year.

Thanks for the advice. The website looks more popamole, but I have to say that uploading is a lot faster.

spekkio

Arcane
I approve.
But keep up the proper screenshots to text ratio or it may turn out that you're doing it wrong.

:M

Redshirt #42

Augur
Update #1

UOA000.jpg

The door right in front is locked, as are the 2 doors in the wagon to the left, so there's only one right way to go. :smug:

UOA0001.jpg

UOA0002.jpg

There's a book on the seat.

UOA0004.jpg

It contains a list of all the passengers.

UOA0005.jpg

If you click on one of the names you can hear their voices (provided you've already met them or heard them speak).

Tyler Whitney: Please come, you're the only one I can trust.

UOA0006.jpg

UOA0007.jpg

While we're at it, we might as well check out the other items in the inventory. A newspaper article provides hints at our character's background.

UOA0008.jpg

And an envelope.

UOA0009.jpg

So, the PC's name is Cath. And his bro, Tyler Whitney, needs his help.

UOA00010.jpg

Afterwards, we meet a conductor. Fortunately, he's too retarded to notice that Cath isn't one of the passengers.

UOA00011.jpg

- Excuse me, can you tell me which compartment is Tyler Whitney's?

UOA00012.jpg

Oh, Monsieur Whitney, excuse me. Your compartment is number one. -

UOA00013.jpg

The compartment is on the end of the same wagon. It took me a while to figure that out on my first playthrough. :retarded:

UOA00014.jpg

Noone responds to knocking on the door. But, it is unlocked.

UOA00015.jpg

UOA00016.jpg

Of course, Tyler Whitney is dead.

UOA00017.jpg

Cath sure is shocked to see his friend lying in his own blood.

UOA00018.jpg

So shocked that the first thing that comes to his mind is to dispose of his corpse and steal his identity.

UOA00019.jpg

UOA00021.jpg

If you let his corpse here, it will be game over soon (I'll add those endings later).

UOA00020.jpg

So we can either do it the old-faishoned way and throw his corpse out of the window...

UOA00022.jpg

... or ...

UOA00023.jpg

... hide his corpse away under the sofa.

CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES!

Shall I :

a) throw the corpse out of the window
b) hide it under the sofa

Which is better and why? You decide!

I'll give the poll a day or two and then continue depending on the results.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Oh hells yes!

Definitely hide it under the sofa! You need to bring him back for a proper burial once this mess is over.

Cenobyte

Prophet
True, go for b)

Even though the compartment might get a bit uncomfortable with a dead corpse after a while... and the Orient Express' journey to Constantinople should take some time :?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This is most likely a tricky choice and the 'obviously safe' option will be the bad one, but whatever - throw him out the airlock!

Erebus

Arcane
Re: Update #1

Redshirt #42 said:

Who knew Jean Jaurès had intended to take the Orient Express at that time ? Guess he found himself more important things to do in France. (For those of you who don't know about him, he was a french left-wing politician who tried his best to stop the war from happening and ended up murdered for that reason. He really should have got aboard that train...)

Anyway, it's a promising LP. I've seen a few videos of that game on Youtube and it looked pretty cool.

As for our deceased friend, I suggest to hide him for now and to get rid of him during the night. It's obvious that we'll get caught if we keep this body during the whole trip.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did you follow my no cd instructions? I'd like to be showered in gratitude.

PS: if you fuck this up i will fucking kill you.

PSS: Do you know who produced and designed this? Jordan Mechner that's who. Respect!

wjw

Augur
Hide the body. At some point you might chop it into pieces and then feed those to the dog, so you'll be able to get the key. The key to victory.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I think I hid him under the sofa when I played it, so now you should throw him out of the window.

Also use tinypic instead of photobucket because PB has monthly bandwidth limit that can fuck up your LP (believe me I know). Tinypic doesn't have any restrictions like that.

It's a great game, get it to the end !

Also:

uo0022.jpg

He's going to jump on the train. Will he make it or become an hero?

:CLIFFHANGER TIME:

Snatcher_Random_1.jpg
Gillian, jump !

Snatcher_Gillian_2.jpg
I can't ! My timing is off !

gens2009-09-0915-33-07-73.jpg

:smug:

lightbane

Arcane
Pick the most EXTREME option, aka throwing him out, for the greater lulz!

Redshirt #42

Augur
ghostdog said:
Also use tinypic instead of photobucket because PB has monthly bandwidth limit that can fuck up your LP (believe me I know). Tinypic doesn't have any restrictions like that.

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately the webpage says that it is no longer accepting registrations for user accounts (and it seems an account is necessary in order to upload more than 1 picture at a time.

So should I continue using PB? I have already used up 185 MB (which is more than 1%) of my PB bandwidth. Imageshack, on the other hand, "allows 2000mb per hour for each image hosted" (I dunno if that's better, I suck me not like maths derpherp) and it claims that "Your files will only be deleted if they do not adhere to our Terms of Service. If you are registered, your files will be available forever. If you are not registered, any file that you upload will continue to be available if it is accessed by anyone at least once per year." - is that bullshit lies?

I'm open to any other suggestions too.

SCO said:
Did you follow my no cd instructions?
Nope.

SCO said:
I'd like to be showered in gratitude.
But your thread reminded me that I wanted to play this game some time ago. Thanks.

SCO said:
PS: if you fuck this up i will fucking kill you.
Mmkay.

SCO said:
PSS: Do you know who produced and designed this? Jordan Mechner that's who. Respect!
You don't say. Well, I guess I should have mentioned that. But true Codex elitists probably know that already.

/VD mode off

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Imageshack's hourly bandwidth restriction will not cause you problems, but on the downside its UI sucks compared to photobucket. You could also check out http://imgur.com/.

Quilty

Magister
Great choice. It's a shame this game isn't more popular. I only learned about it a couple of years ago, and must have replayed it at least half a dozen times by now. Brilliant game.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Chuck him out the window.

Also good stuff, looking forward to following this LP.

Redshirt #42

Augur
Update #1 Bonus

Here are a few extra scenes, which occur if you wait too long, don't dispose of the corpse at all, or just fuck something up.

SCENE A

If you don't find the corpse or remove it (or simply don't find your compartment, as I didn't :retarded: ), the corpse will be found by one of the conductors.

Here's the dialogue between the conductor in the first sleeping car and the trainmaster:

uoconductorsfail1.jpg

They're both speaking French. Cath can understand French so they're dialogue is subtitled.

rentg.jpg

Good evening, Uncle.

trainmaster.jpg

How's it going?

rentg.jpg

Everything's fine, sir. Everything's under control.

trainmaster.jpg

Do you have an American in number 1?

rentg.jpg

You mean Mr. Whitney? He's right here.

trainmaster.jpg

Could you tell him that Mr. Schmidt is waiting for him in the restaurant. It seems he has been waiting for some time.

rensmug.jpg

Ah! The German noveau-riche.

trainmaster.jpg

René! Watch your mouth!

rentg.jpg

Sorry, but you know he doesn't understand a word of French. At the station-

trainmaster.jpg

Never mind! If I heard any conductor mouth off like that, his career would end at the next stop.

rentg.jpg

I'm sorry, Uncle.

trainmaster.jpg

And stop calling me Uncle! It's bad enough knowing I'm related to you without you reminding me.

rentg.jpg

I'm sorry, Uncle-sir. Forgive me. It won't happen again.

trainmaster.jpg

Apart from that, everything fine?

rentg.jpg

Everything's fine. Except the gentleman in number 4. He's got four compartments full of veiled women and whenever I pass he glares at me as if I'm trying to rape them.

trainmaster.jpg

You know who they belong to, don't you?

rentg.jpg

Mahmud Makhta. That's what it says on the list.

trainmaster.jpg

That's the bodyguard's name. They're being very descreet because...

rentg.jpg

Really! Him? I don't believe it!

trainmaster.jpg

So treat them carefully, eh?

rensmug.jpg

But, Uncle, you know I'm a married man. Now you, on the other hand...

trainmaster.jpg

I told you not to call me Uncle! That's enough joking. Now do your job.

After his uncle the trainmaster leaves, René goes to check out Tyler Whitney's compartment.

rentg.jpg

Excusez-moi Monsieur, it's the conductor. Monsieur Whitney, are you there?

uoconductorsfail2.jpg

And since obviously noone responds, he opens the door and...

uoconductorsfail3.jpg

Mon Dieu, there's blood on the carpet!

uoconductorsfail4.jpg

And you get arrested because you had no ticket. I wonder what Cath would have done in the same situation if Whitney were alive.

SCENE B

Now, this is what happens if you run around aimlessly and bump into one of the few NPC's that you actually can talk to.

uoschmidtbefore1.jpg

- Ah, Herr Whitney?

cathpart1only.jpg

My name is Robert Cath and I'm looking for a 'Herr Whitney' myself. I suppose you don't know - where I might find him?

schmidtannoyed.jpg

I have had enough of this nonsense. -

And he leaves the dining car.

uoschmidtbefore2.jpg

Afterwards he'll find the compartment number 1 himself.

- Herr Whitney, open the door! -

uoschmidtbefore3.jpg

Again there's no answer. So he opens the door and enters himself. Note that once he starts knocking on the door, you can't prevent this anymore. Which sucks a bit - but at least that helped me to find the compartment the first time. :oops:

uoschmidtbefore5.jpg

- Hilfe!

uoschmidtbefore4.jpg

Hilfeee! -

uoschmidtbefore6.jpg

Also, for some reason you can see the train stop this time.

uoschmidtbefore7.jpg

But the ending is the same. Btw, the ending screen is a page from one of the passenger's journal (also narrated by the owner, whom we haven't met yet). I haven't figured out why exactly it's that person (whether it's symbolic, or there's a specific reason), but maybe I'll understand it this time.

SCENE C

Now in case you are a complete moron and you forget to change your bloody clothes after manipulating with the corpse, this happens.

rentg.jpg

Excusez-moi Monsieur. What's that on your jacket? -

René really is kinda slow.

uobloodfail1.jpg

- Uh, excuse me? -

uobloodfail2.jpg

Shiiit. Where did you get those awesome shoes?

uobloodfail3.jpg

This time, you get actually accused of murdering Whitney and apprehended. Who knows, maybe they would actually let him go free due to lack of evidence. I'm not sure how advanced forensic science was at that time.

I've also tried to run into some other passengers with the bloody jacket, but it's hard to pull off, because most of them are in the other wagons and if you try to go there, you will immediately be stopped by the second conductor who's sitting next to the entrance to the second sleeping car. Maybe it would be possible if you were really, really patient because the conductors are from time to time moving back and forth - but I think it's not worth it - one of the passengers inside the first sleeping wagon can see you and he ignores it. Also, for some reason the trainmaster doesn't give a shit - so it is safe to assume that only the two conductors react.

The next update (in which we will actually progress with the story) will be probably this Thursday.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ah shit that bloody jacket! Ahahaha! What a dumbass :)

Nice to see these alternative fuckups. Good stuff.

Redshirt #42

Augur
Looks like it's 6:4 in favour of the first option - that is throwing him out of the window. I'll do that then.

Hopefully there will be a next page until tomorrow, because the next update is rather large.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom