Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Let's break some boots in the RoA! (Escape from Castle Orkenstein)

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Here goes nothing.

z1.jpg

0. Intro & Thorwal
1. Up north
2. Hjaldor Mountains and beyond
3. West coast
4. Going soutwest
5. South coast
6. Eastern reaches, Orclands & ending

z1.jpg

Author's note: High quality front covers provided by GoG. This LP is dedicated to the lost cause and is planed to consist of 95% of screenshots and 5% of effort. If you take offense in this sort of approach, please feel free to express your displeasure as verbose as possible. You may not know it but bumping your own stuff can be a pretty depressing task at times.

Been a while since I played RoA. I've beaten part 1 only once, with a pdf of the official German walkthrough in close reach so I wouldn't miss the good bits. My memories are as enduring as the writing on a chalkboard however so I highly doubt that this will help me now. We'll see.

Still need to fill those five empty character slots first though, so everyone is invited to what might become a very long lasting endeavour. Now I was going to write that you can either give your preferences or get your hands dirty yourself by downloading game and manual and upload your character with a service like Dropbox as you would do me a great favour. It turned out however that RoA has become the official property of GoG hence downloading the game for free may be regarded as a bit illegal. I'm still in hopes that providing manual & character generator won't trigger a juristic outcry but if it does, I guess we'll notice soon enough. I'm a little rusty on the character system myself but I will try to give you enough pointers for you to figure things out.

z2.jpg

Here is how it goes when you start up the editor (you'll sometimes need to use the right mouse button to reopen the quick menu):

1. Choose advanced as difficulty level
2. Get a name
3. Get a gender
4. Choose 'New Attributes'. The game will then start to roll the dice for you in a range between 8 (bad) to 13 (super). These are your positive attributes (explained on page 15 in the manual). Then the game will roll again for your neg'e'tive attributes in a range between 2 (non-existent) to 8 (fatal flaw) (explained on page 15 as well)
5. If the attributes shouldn’t turn out after your liking, you can modify them with the ‘Change Attributes’ option. There you can either decrease a positive attribute by one point for decreasing two points worth of negative attributes or in return increase one positive attribute for increasing negative attributes for two points as well.
6. Once you got the attributes on paper, you can then proceed with choosing an archetype (a class in other words). You will need to hit the minimum requirements to be able to choose an archetype (see the appendic’i’es on page 56 in the manual. Be warned however that some of the entries may be incorrect)
6.1 (Magicians) Choose your preferred arcane school
6.2 (Magic users) Convert attempts to improve your spells into attempts to increase skills
6.3 (Magicians) Convert mana into attempts to improve your spells
7. Get a face
8. Now that you got a class, you can click on the arrow buttons on the bottom to access the skills section. You get a limited number of attempts total to increase them and this number is further limited for each individual skill (you can’t use any more attempts after failing three times in a row) and skill category. Once you found a section that interests you, just right click to open the menu, pick a category, chose the skill you want to increase and start rolling
9. Modify your parry and attack values either making your guy/gal stronger in offence or defence
10. (Magic users) Improve your spells. This is the same progress as increasing your skills with a separate attempt pool. As TheLostOne pointed out, the manual lacks a more detailed spell description, so you’ll have to look them up in this alternative manual if you’re interested

And you’re done. Just save the hero and send the .chr file with his name on the journey.

My first attempt after some fiddling:
z3.jpg

z4.jpg

How things are now:
c1.jpg
c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg
c5.jpg

c6.jpg

c7.jpg
c8.jpg

c9.jpg

c10.jpg
c11.jpg

c12.jpg

c13.jpg

c14.jpg

c15.jpg
c16.jpg

c17.jpg

c18.jpg

c19.jpg

c20.jpg
c21.jpg

c22.jpg

c23.jpg

c224.jpg

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bee's a she-rogue, just as in the old LP. :P
Will edit in the attributes and stuff in about half an hour.

Ashery

Prophet
:love:

Will start fooling around with the char generator, but I'm not quite sure how well the char will turn out as I've never played the game.

Hmmm....sadly the character generator (that I totally found on my own and in no way was assisted by anyone else on the codex:M:) doesn't seem to run for me. Accursed 64 bit Windows, I assume.

If I remember correctly, Warlocks were pretty useful. Or was it druids? One of the nature casters. If there's room there, or as a magician, feel free to sign me up. No real preference towards stats; use that character to fill whatever role the party may need*. Just in case, you know, the Codex suggests multiple Jesters, or something similarly ridiculous.

*Not a tranny though.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
@Ashery
Just don't put any points into riding and you should be fine. ;)
I'm not sure if there are any other completely redundant skills in there. Besides I'm not going for a perfect party anyways. It might actually be interesting to find out if you can still beat the game with a less than optimal team lineup.

@EM
You're using Dosbox, right? You might try to drag and drop the Gen.exe on your Dosbox shortcut. That sometimes works.

lightbane

Arcane
Yay, a revival of this lp!! :love:

I would post my character but I feel too lazy right now to read the manual. Still, good luck with the lp!!

Get it working. Needed to just tweak a few things. I'll try getting a decent character, though it's been ages since I've played these games.

Low superstition was pretty critical right? Which other negative traits were really important?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So here's my (quite negative!) build. Let's see if you'll be able to make it through the game with it. :P

And here's the saved character, with all skill points distributed:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1j31i3iagtbxwiz
(Do tell if you have problems downloading it; I'll reupload it to a different host then.)

Pussycat669

Liturgist
@EM
Low superstition increases your magic resistance. Not a must have in my uneducated opinion but it can increase your chance of survival somewhat at times. It could be that you're not allowed to use magic items with a too high superstition although I probably remember that one wrong. Other really bad attribute was the necro stuff since your character might lose a turn while fighting undead.

@Bee
z5.jpg

z6.jpg

I think we're good but we're going to have to hammer those bad attr. down the next few level ups. :P

No need to rush things though, I won't be able to play during Wednesday anyways.

Ashery

Prophet
Maybe I should just get the damn game and do a test run to see what I should create ;p

Leaning towards druid, but oh god, the spells. So many are -10+.

Pussycat669 said:
@EM
Low superstition increases your magic resistance. Not a must have in my uneducated opinion but it can increase your chance of survival somewhat at times. It could be that you're not allowed to use magic items with a too high superstition although I probably remember that one wrong. Other really bad attribute was the necro stuff since your character might lose a turn while fighting undead.

Which spellcaster type do you prefer? I remember that a Travel (or something like that) specific mage was pretty useful...but, in the spirit of full disclosure, I was pretty terrible at these games. What spells/skills would best suit the party mage? The manual isn't exactly forthcoming and my memory is very sketchy.

Edit: Derp....found the alternative manual. Still not sure what is terribly useful or not though. I think unlocking spells would be, but teleport is probably far too difficult to learn.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Well, as mentioned before, I only beat the game once and my experience with spellcaster is therefore quiet limited. Had three spellcaster at the time: a pure mage for offensive spells, a witch as healer/herbalist (not as useful in RoA 1, I think) and a wood elf who was sort of a jack of all trades and good at getting the party free food (that's what you mean with traveling or do you mean teleport?). Can't really help you whatever spells/skills are really useful or not, sorry.

When you're in doubt, go after your gut feeling. We'll see how it will turn out. I can put the blame on y'all later :smug:

EDIT: On second thought, you're well advised to put at least some points in the more physical skills like climbing, swimming and stealth since they're used fairly frequently and often count for every individual character.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
here is the decadent bar brawler, who enjoys drinking,dancing and extremely deadly with a great-sword.
Defensively oriented with single-handed ones,and eager to get into theological debates when he is sober...

http://www.fileserve.com/file/hKjadGT

edit: after the darklands LP eagerly anticipating this one.It's a warrior btw, just have gone with the gut feeling when creating the character..

Pussycat669

Liturgist
You can chose the option 'Save character' in the menu. This will create a datafile called "YourName".chr in the folder you put the gen.exe into. If you can make this file available for download, I just need to put it into my game directory and that's it.

@golgepapaz
Gotcha

z7.jpg

z8.jpg

I think I'll go to bed.

golgepapaz

Augur
golgepapaz said:
here is the decadent bar brawler, who enjoys drinking,dancing and extremely deadly with a great-sword.
Defensively oriented with single-handed ones,and eager to get into theological debates when he is sober...

http://www.fileserve.com/file/hKjadGT

edit: after the darklands LP eagerly anticipating this one.It's a warrior btw, just have gone with the gut feeling when creating the character..

Damn I forgot that I can increase my good attributes at the expense of bad attributes(they were rather low), is there a way to load the char profile with the generator? I've got the bad habit of min-maxing.(or just roll with it and see howw it turns out)

Pussycat669

Liturgist
@EM
Fileserver makes me wait for the file. I'll get it up as soon as I got some sleep.

@golgepapaz
I'm afraid not. You would have to reroll again.

golgepapaz

Augur
My deity from the manual;

TSA
The Goddess of Life, Eternal Creator and Lady of Ressurection. Her servants are forbidden
to take any life, and she herself occasionally grants the return of life to the deceased,
wrestling a soul from the grip of Boron.

-Yeah, the bloody pacifist I am.Just leave me at the inn when go adventuring.

And this is Bee's deity;

BORON
The Lord of the Dead and one who's not likely to part with any of the souls in his care. He
is also the god of Sleep and Provider of Dreams. His symbol is the broken wheel, used to
mark graves all over Arkania.

Expecting a healthy dose of vitriolic party banter

Crooked Bee

Patron
golgepapaz said:
My deity from the manual;

TSA
The Goddess of Life, Eternal Creator and Lady of Ressurection. Her servants are forbidden
to take any life, and she herself occasionally grants the return of life to the deceased,
wrestling a soul from the grip of Boron.

-Yeah, the bloody pacifist I am.Just leave me at the inn when go adventuring.

And this is Bee's deity;

BORON
The Lord of the Dead and one who's not likely to part with any of the souls in his care. He
is also the god of Sleep and Provider of Dreams. His symbol is the broken wheel, used to
mark graves all over Arkania.

Expecting a healthy dose of vitriolic party banter

Mine is way cooler. :smug:

Crooked Bee

Patron
We really need someone more exotic to join our party for additional fun. A Jester, a Witch, a Silvan Elf, an Ice Elf maybe... C'mon people, sign up!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom