Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I liked KoF '96 the most.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Bought Tekken 7 one week ago. Only 10 jewros.
I remember playing Dark Ressurection on PSP when I was a kid and loving it.
So far I liking it as well, it's just a shame they introduced Super attacks. I fucking hate supers in figthing games, they always feel like a flashy bullshit panic button for begginers.
Anyway, anyone down to teach me how to play just send me an invite when I am online.

I'm going to add fuel to the fire and mention the article you quoted was old as fuck (2013), and that Smash 4 and Ultimate (as well as Nintendo) actually did shit to try to make it more comp-viable.

What's also interesting is that Sakurai was awere of things like wave-dashing during melee's development and he decided to let it staty because he though it was a cool quirk and didn't think it would propelm the game's competitive scene. Then after the game's release he became disapointed and regreted with how competitve and hardcore the game and it's community became.

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/08/10/sakuraimelee/

Besides the whole debate of whatever or not smash is a figthing game only happens in the West, and it's mostly due because smash players don't have a fgc background and the smash scene has been mostly independent from the fgc since their inception with melee.

Soul Calibur was always my fave 3D fighter

What's your favourite SC?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What's your favourite SC?
Soul Calibur 2, easily. It has my favorite soundtrack, gameplay, sound effects, voice acting, character selection (Link is so much fun, he's SO MUCH FUN), and just overall package. SCIII had the most substantial content but it doesn't play very good. I dropped off the series with IV and V because they lacked a lot of the fun single player stuff, but I played the PSP game a lot. I have 6 and have been considering getting into it a lot more since they added one of my favorite girls Hilda, who looks even cooler, but I was never big into fighting games by myself. I'd need a friendgroup with a similar skillset like in the old days, cuz like hell am I playing godlike randoms online.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I find people that go bald worrying about balance and tier lists in fighting games are the same people who are usually so shit that none of that actually would matter to them.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Soul Calibur 2

Same, since I the only home console I ever owned (still play in it to this day) is a GameCube it was the only game in the series I could play. Fortunately I do believe it's the best SC game.
3 has better single player content, but it's gameplay is a big step down from 2, and 4 + 5 are simply bad. I was considering between buying SC6 or Tekken 7, but after research I think 6 still doesn't hold up to 2.
When I was a kid Link was also the character I played the most, but over the years I started to play him less and less. Maybe that's the problem of guest characters from franchises more popular than your own, they do in a way "steal the spotligth". Now Mitsurugi, Yun-Seong (rip) and specially Raphael are the characters I have most fun playing.
One particular detail I find interesting is how even the art direction changed dramastically after 2. In that game the characters had a stylistic design to them sure, but even then most of them were also fairly grounded with some historical inspirations:

serveimage

Then with Soul Calibur 3 that grounded measure and restraint was completely thrown out the window:

I find people that go bald worrying about balance and tier lists in fighting games are the same people who are usually so shit that none of that actually would matter to them.

To be fair there are some horribly powerful and sometimes broken characters even in some of the best figthers.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

To be fair there are some horribly powerful and sometimes broken characters even in some of the figthers.

In the case of MvC2, many of the top tier characters when played by someone of average skill won't ever have their true strengths on showcase because the execution and knowledge needed outweighs any accessibility they may have. Magneto is a god in that game, but if played by a random they're as fragile as Wolverine and none of the terror an expert level Magneto is capable of will ever be found.

Same thing with Sentinel, the moment you know your opponent doesn't know how to fly xx unfly you can completely rape them with Spider Man if you want to. The thing about older fighters is that player skill played much more of a factor than tier whoring ever could.

One particular detail I find interesting is how even the art direction changed dramastically after 2. In the characters had a stylistic design to them sure, but they also fairly grounded with some historical inspirations:

To be fair, Raphael is a bit of an unfair example considering he went from disgraced nobleman in SC2 to vampire lord or whatever the fuck in SC3 and beyond. Let's be real here, there was never anything grounded about Voldo or Lizardman. Raphael just went more towards the "freakshow" side of the SC cast.

Gerrard

Arcane
In the case of MvC2, many of the top tier characters
All three of them?
Doesn't make it any less shit. There's a reason nobody in Japan gives or gave a flying fuck about it.
Guess they needed something where an American player can win in the main lineup.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Doesn't make it any less shit. There's a reason nobody in Japan gives or gave a flying fuck about it.

Japan didn't care for it because Marvel meant nothing to them much like Tatsunoko meant nothing to Western audiences or why anime fighting games have little to no scene in NA. Thinking that their lack of popularity in one region makes them lesser games is pure retardation.

Gerrard

Arcane
The main difference is that in Japan players quickly realized TvC was a kusoge while in the US retards worship MvC2.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The main difference is that in Japan players quickly realized TvC was a kusoge while in the US retards worship MvC2.
I'll go out on a limb and say you suck balls at mvc2. Happens all the time, guy plays game in a style he's not familliar with and sucks at it "b-but this isn't a REAL fighting game ;__ COME SEE ME IN [insert game of choice here]. Weak.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I am admittedly terrible at Tekken, probably hit my peak with Tekken 3 but in TTT2 and T7 I regularly get stomped and stick to easier to play characters like Miguel or Lili (though I fucking love watching a good Yoshimitsu and King in action). With that said, I admit that Tekken is an extremely good fighting game series and I actually do love how people that stuck with the series for decades have expertise to show for it.

All I'm saying is, MvC2's following 20 years later and being brought back as a celebration for Evo means it did a lot of things right as both a fighting game and for the community it fostered whether you despise the game deep down or not.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I am admittedly terrible at Tekken, probably hit my peak with Tekken 3 but in TTT2 and T7 I regularly get stomped and stick to easier to play characters like Miguel or Lili (though I fucking love watching a good Yoshimitsu and King in action). With that said, I admit that Tekken is an extremely good fighting game series and I actually do love how people that stuck with the series for decades have expertise to show for it.

All I'm saying is, MvC2's following 20 years later and being brought back as a celebration for Evo means it did a lot of things right as both a fighting game and for the community it fostered whether you despise the game deep down or not.

Mahvel (I didn't spell this wrong.) was like, the progenitor of what we know of the hyper fighter. Not only did it bring out some of the greatest players I know of personally, but without it we wouldnt have MvC3, Skullgirls, FighterZ or Power Rangers BFTG.

So even if it is jank, its a beloved and influential game and you have to respect that.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Wow, no Mai for easy thumbnail bait click, has Vanessa in the center and features Shermie. This is auto incline.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't have a console and have to wait for PC release:

Can anyone here confirm if GranBlue is good?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I am getting really angry with Tekken 7 refusal to show usernames when the matchmaking finds an opponent. Fought the same dude 5 times in the spam of half an hour.
Also holy shit Leroy Jenkins is OP. He's easily the equivalent to Bob in Tekken 6.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I spent yesterday learning KoF All Stars.

Seems pretty fun, but I have to reroll today since my best pull was Charlotte and it seems like she's garbage.

Think I'm going to try for Halloween Li Xiangfei today

Jason Liang

Arcane
So I ended up settling for cheese and kept a roll of Haomaru, King 98 and Vice 96. So far, Chizuru 96, Kyo 96 and Athena 96 are freebies, and pulled Andy 98 from a ticket.

Haomaru and Genjuro are the two best characters you can initially roll currently, for those interested. Haomaru is quite beastly, both Kougestu Zan and his Super breaks armor afaik.

This is a good game if you like using bosses like Goenitz, Igniz, Orochi and Rugal. Not so good for waifus.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The new Tekken 7 character is a damage beast:

Also this the new map's ost:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom