Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I always wondered why fighting games in particular attract so many black people?

Like, 90 percent of the people I regularly play DB FighterZ with are black, lots of coloured folks in tournaments etc.
How come?

Generic-Giant-Spider

I always wondered why fighting games in particular attract so many black people?

Like, 90 percent of the people I regularly play DB FighterZ with are black, lots of coloured folks in tournaments etc.
How come?

I can only speak through my own anecdote here since arcades had me make a fair share of black/latino friends back then.

Because convenience stores or plazas or malls were popular places to hang out, you tended to pass the time in a variety of ways and living in the city an arcade or hotspots for arcade cabinets became a very good way to meet new people and make friends as well as keep out of trouble. For me, my own parents viewed it as a lesser evil (they hated video games) because it's better I keep myself busy until 10 PM with similarly aged kids a couple blocks over playing some silly arcade game for hours than doing anything criminal or getting caught with a bad crowd. For others of a more racially diverse background, a console was more of a luxury to own. It wasn't uncommon for them to always be a generation behind the current gaming era if they did own a console (one of my best friends had a Genesis until 2000 and only got a PS1 because the PS2 came out and slashed the price of it down) and if they didn't or wanted to play the latest games, they'd go to arcades as it was only a quarter in most places to enjoy a game.

Because fighting games were very popular in the '90s and because you wanted to get maximum value out of your quarter, you forced yourself to get good and that naturally would breed competition among you and locals. For black people or Spanish people, an arcade was kind of like having access to a better console (until the Dreamcast arrived) and if you wanted to keep your place on a cabinet you'd become as good as possible to beat others that would challenge you. Eventually this would organically create a fighting game scene and you'd all start to know one another better and start sharing tips and tricks and so on, so forth. Lots of good ol boys-will-be-boys shit talking too, but in my experience it rarely escalated to physical blows.

That's why I encountered a lot of black/latino people back then: living in the city, they couldn't afford consoles and had to make due with arcades due to the affordable nature of only needing two dollars to get a good afternoon's worth of amusement, parents didn't mind it since it kept everyone out of trouble.

As for today why a modern game like DBFZ has more black people, I couldn't tell you personally. Maybe they just really like Goku or some shit.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

How come?

Good question. And to elaborate, social justice clowns love black people and manipulating games. Where's all the fighting games where I get to play as a wheelchair bound diabetic Peruvian with down syndrome who goes spoke-to-spoke against a 300 pound tranny car mechanic with a speech impediment? Shit, I'd buy that game in a second.

Melcar

Arcane
Can only speak from my experience growing up in Mexico in the early 90s. PCs were mostly for rich people (usually "white" Mexicans and gringos living there), and consoles a bit too expensive for the average family to justify. So the only real option most kids had back then to play video games was at the arcades or small convenience stores with cabinets. Here in Mexico fighting games were serious business in the 90s, so you had a lot of kids from medium and low income families spending their free time at the arcades and stuff.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Good question. And to elaborate, social justice clowns love black people and manipulating games. Where's all the fighting games where I get to play as a wheelchair bound diabetic Peruvian with down syndrome who goes spoke-to-spoke against a 300 pound tranny car mechanic with a speech impediment? Shit, I'd buy that game in a second.

Sounds like a Westernized version of Guilty Gear. This could sell. Is the wheelchair guy immune to low attacks but can't do anything against overheads?

Can only speak from my experience growing up in Mexico in the early 90s. PCs were mostly for rich people (usually "white" Mexicans and gringos living there), and consoles a bit too expensive for the average family to justify. So the only real option most kids had back then to play video games was at the arcades or small convenience stores with cabinets. Here in Mexico fighting games were serious business in the 90s, so you had a lot of kids from medium and low income families spending their free time at the arcades and stuff.
Please explain why KoF is so successful in Mexico while SF never was.

Melcar

Arcane
SF was very successful. It's just that yeah, KoF was more popular. No idea why. Most arcades had both and they all got the same amount of attention from kids and young adults. I do remember that most small stores had KoF cabinets and it's what many kids would play after school.
I guess the characters and stories in the early KoF games appealed more to kids? Personally for me KoF felt more "familiar", what with many of the fighters been teens in HS.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Generic-Giant-Spider

If I had to guess it's because Neo Geo's MVS carts were super easy to pirate and distribute a bunch of bootlegs of. All you needed was a Neo Geo cabinet and due to how you could fit multiple cartridges in at once, could have at least 2-6 games to circulate through at any time. Even growing up in NYC it was more common to run into Neo Geo cabinets in any sort of convenience store no matter how ratchet while Capcom ones weren't as widespread (but they were rampant in dedicated arcades/malls).

This may be a psychological thing, but one of the reasons why I liked KOF more came down to how one quarter gave me essentially "three tries" because you played a team of three characters which to me it was a greater value. I also just preferred KOF's more stylish looking characters and animations more over SF's. Even if you look at KOF 98 vs. the Alpha games there's a more gritty, mature style to SNK's fighters which made them seem cooler.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Sounds like a Westernized version of Guilty Gear. This could sell. Is the wheelchair guy immune to low attacks but can't do anything against overheads?

Finish Him!
giphy.gif

DIS-ABILITY!

Machocruz

Arcane
Fighting can be viewed as a branch of sports, which also attracts a lot of black males. Athletics is a language shared across cultures, moreso than elves or alien invasions. There is also the physicality aspect, it being more prized in black communities. The familiarity around street fights, boxing gyms, and beatdowns if grew up in the inner city.

Btw, American ghettos are maybe not the same as ghettos elsewhere. Here, they have a lot of the same luxury goods the suburban kids have, don't be fooled. Blacks and hispanics in the lower class 'hoods have a lot more spending power than outsiders are lead to believe, difference is they have a tendency to spend on liabilities, not assets. Well, that's the tendency of the average American regardless of race, there's just many more business and land owners among whites and asians. I've been in many black homes, and nearly all of them had up to date consoles. A small few had gaming PCs, but of course those were the nerds.

And yes, blacks and hispanics, especially the millennial eses, LOOOVE DBZ . It's crazy how I can go anywhere, and if there are some young Mexican males around, there is a high chance I'll overhear some comment or convo about the anime. Well DBZ characters are essentially superheroes, and superheroes seem to be the kind of fantasy they largely prefer, not European medieval type shit. Stan Lee is their Tolkien.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Let's not forget this classic...

They also made a movie based on it, starring T-1000, Phoebe the Witch and Mark Dacascos.

Generic-Giant-Spider

REAL TALK: They should've done this gender bender gimmick with a returning Twelve.

Latro

Arcane
anyone up for friday night third strike on fightcade? i'll be on later tonight. I'll be happy to teach anyone a few things, so don't be afraid :3

Generic-Giant-Spider

We should try to set up a Codex fighting game community over Fightcade and set weekly times or something to congregate and sling racial insults to the Brazilians until they leave out of shame.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Smash Bros by contrast has never been designed with competitive focus as I brought up in my previous post by quoting how the very guy who has the most say on the game's development cycle sees it as a four player battle royale.

I'm going to add fuel to the fire and mention the article you quoted was old as fuck (2013), and that Smash 4 and Ultimate (as well as Nintendo) actually did shit to try to make it more comp-viable. Being able to see some hitboxes in training, allowing any stage to use the tourney legal battlefield or FD, hosting more tourney events (although they're cheap on the whole prize winning thing, Smash is poverty chump change), etc. Hell, the game gets balance patches, which most casual games to my knowledge don't do. Not saying it is a traditional fighting game, course it ain't, but the term "platform fighter" fits the mold just fine for many. The FGC and Smash people will never get along though, completely separate scenes. Plus, what do you call other similar games that do focus on comp like Rivals of Aether or Slap City?

Also I'd be down to getting my ass kicked in XIV, SCVI or KI. Soul Calibur was always my fave 3D fighter, and I'm only recently getting into KoF after playing a few games and absolutely loving King. I also like Ralf and Leona, though I cannot play charge characters at all.

As for today why a modern game like DBFZ has more black people, I couldn't tell you personally. Maybe they just really like Goku or some shit.
Many black people, at least the fighting game guys I used to hang around with back in the day, watched dragon ball on toonami probably more than anyone else. They played the other not really comp viable Dragon Ball games (except the one on PS2 that had Bulma in it, nobody played that even though I heard it was great), and were basically sold when FighterZ came out. But another factor not talked about is that FighterZ is also a 3v3 tag in fighter similar to a recently destroyed franchise, Marvel vs Capcom. MvC had a large black community with it too, so many just moved onto there.

Max Damage

Savant
Started reading "Basics" and immediately dropped. I've been playing on keyboard for years and winning consistently, it's better than all gamepads I've tried, and it's not some super expensive device, just one without ghosting. I'm sure you have good intents, but opening your thread with Hori shilling is a turn-off. If somebody never heard of or never played fighting games (or don't come from arcade background), fighting stick will most likely be overpriced piece of plastic for them. And because fighting games aren't something really easy to get into, I wouldn't recommend spending money on something you'll likely won't use after getting bodied endlessly online. Just play on gamepad, or keyboard that's not garbage.

Jason Liang

Arcane
luv King!

Unfortunately XIV is one of her weaker KoF appearances. She's been top tier in several other KoFs including XIII and... '95? '96?

What brings me down on '98 is Chizuru and no Kula. I luv Chizuru but she is just batshit crazy in pvp. And for me it's not KoF anymore without Kula and to a lesser extent K' and Maxima.

I miss Shermie in XIV. Chris otoh can stay in hell.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom