Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Battle for Wesnoth (Sand in mah pants, part 2)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeesh said:
Damnit I didn't know I was a girl. My shame only grows.

On the Codex, everyone's gender is in a constant state of flux

spekkio

Arcane
Ulminati said:
Spekkio finishes off the skeleton and advances to Trapper
mr8yec.jpg

jgmmgo.jpg

:smug:

lightbane

Arcane
13749002.jpg

Odd, I was supposed to be a guy. Tranny (and surprisingly badass) elves? Surprising.

Also, was my unit the one to deal the finishing blow? If so, :smug:

By the way, weren't Dryads supposed to be spirits/mystical creatures/whatever that protected forests? How is it that they can use FIRE magic?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Beats be. All I know is that you deal burninating death. :love: You got the killing blow, but the lich was at 5hp when you attacked him.

It seems all shammies and sprites are female, all fighters and scouts are male and archers and hunters can go either way.

Achilles

Arcane
How did I miss this gem of a thread? Please sign me up as a fighter, I want to die with honor fighting in the front lines.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
As we need more meat shields, i gladly join the ranks of the undead as a warrior. Advancing to Revenant and Draug later on, in case I got the choice. Then again, I dont see any of the melee getting to level 3 anyway.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'll get the next mission down tonight. I've played the first couple of turns, and it's the return of one of the more interesting mission types from UtBS. Essentially, it's a desert envoirenment, with spirits attacking during the night. During the day, all living units are subject to dehydration, unless they start their turn next to a unit that Cures. Dehydration reduces moves, hp and damage, and accrues every turn the unit isn't Cured. We have 3 at the moment (Anlindë, LusciousPear and Azira), and they need to stand next to each other or suffer from dehydration as well. This places a hard cap on the number of living units we can feasibly bring with us.

Since the desert tiles offer poor defense and movement, I won't be getting any skeletons for this first mission. They'll only slow us down. A couple of ghosts and warrior spirits will be key to scouting however, as they have a flat 50% defense in all types of terrain as well as cheap, flying movement speed. Hopefully, we'll be able to get a shadow and a wraith or two this mission. Don't let the low HP fool you -- theu have good resistences to blade/piercing/blunt damage types. So long as they stay clear of casters, they'll be fine.

So far, we're sitting pretty well with our 2 leveled healers. Getting shamans with their abysmal damage output levelled can be a pain, and plentiful +8 healing was the only reason we didn't suffer more than we did last mission.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Narrator said:
Even after thousands of years dead, the necromancer still had scraps of flesh on his body and traces of hair on his head. We elves had fought necromancers before, but this one. . . . This one was different."
"According to Anlindë, he was a tormented soul. A man who had fought for a noble cause in a way that tainted and twisted and destroyed him. I felt uneasy with undead by our side. We elves, even in our most ancient histories, had never fought on the same side as necromancers. Even our own kind who learned the dark arts we executed, as the humans do. Now, after traveling with this . . . man, I wonder if our actions in the past were just. . . ."

"Regardless, it seemed that this one was not completely evil. He could be a great help to our cause if he is being honest with us. My people sometimes said that the closest of friends may turn into your worst enemies. I had no great friends, except Anlindë, so I hoped that was not true."

50951164.jpg

52317597.jpg

40833850.jpg

Right, we have our orders. Time to go exploring. Anlindë, Azira and LusciousPear can cure. They'll have to stand next to each other, leaving 10 spots free for living units. Since we already have a bunch of casters, Lightbane's going to sit this one out. Same goes for Cassidy, as his extra movement is wasted when everyone has to stick together. Instead, we bring in anus_pounder and treave
71518601.jpg

BethesdaLove and Saark join us again, their souls bound forever in thralldom to Codexia! :smug:
98567568.jpg

89512548.jpg

We're not going to bring any skeletons with us on this mission, as their movement is crap.

Bunch of wolves jump us, Bandaid uses ambush to lock them down and his 70% cover allows him to tank them
20682987.jpg

Spekkio bolas the lowest wolf, allowing Soggie to kill it with impunity. Azira kills the middle wolf. We're going to leave the top one for a moment while we get a lowbie unit in position to take the XP
94208399.jpg

Finally, we raise Exmit, Ghostdog and Trash to join us. With funds getting low(ish), now seems a good time to set out across the waste
52077103.jpg

gf2.gif
Good god! The elves just won't shut up! No wonder they haven't taken over the world when they can't walk 5 steps without breaking down into long dialogues.

68841855.jpg

Purple orcs to the north! We will feast on their bones!
19806427.jpg

The living elves form up in a vaguely penis-like shape, while the undead horde remains more free to maneuver
26171250.jpg

Orcs approaches just as the sun sets. This is bad, because the orcs will deal more damage at night. But also good because this means we can break formation to engage them
38549147.jpg

92080208.jpg

At sunset, errant spirits appear. These will attack everyone indiscriminately
96667500.jpg

52313238.jpg

Trash and Saark take care of the errant spirit. Spekkio gets poisoned by the Orc Slayer, but manages to slow him in return
56461058.jpg

Elvish Death Count: 47
Orcish archers have flaming arrows!? Bethesdalove learns the bitter truth of this. Fire and Arcane attacks are the only real weakness ghosts and spirits have.
71796165.jpg

Exmit finishes off the slayer for nearly half a level worth of XP. :incline:
36323349.jpg

Trash avenges BethesdaLove, draining the archer of it's prescious bodily fluids
49616384.jpg

Elvish Death Count: 48
Fucking archers kill Trash :x
Sunrise approaches, all our healers become dehydrated, since they can't heal themselves
77721119.jpg

The ghosts gang up on the archer and rider. Kazgar and Exmit claim killing blows.
71389174.jpg

Everyone shuffles back into formation
13182218.jpg

Exmit finishes off an archer, advances to Wraith :incline:
91217470.jpg

Shitload of level 2 orcs up north. We'll try and secure the good terrain
38505081.jpg

Not quite fast enough. My kingdom for Mua'dib and a handful of Fedaykin!
87642902.jpg

Soggie finishes off an archer. I think Buttraep may be incoming
25028618.jpg

Amazingly, noone dies. Yeesh took a beating, as did anus_pounder and Bandaid. And we're beginning to suffer from dehydration again. Exmit claims another kill, as the southernmost orc suicided against him.
20518796.jpg

Mal Keshar and Yeesh focus-fire an orc down, allowing Soggie to claim a killing blow and advance to Marksman
40545285.jpg

Another orc is brought low on the southern flank. They have no ranged attacks, so we wear them down with ours.
14134005.jpg

Yeesh fights back and ends the life of the orc that was harrassing him.
47058072.jpg

11929174.jpg

Ghostdog finishes off the orc on the southern flank, and nearly gains enough XP to level
70513481.jpg

Exmit hunts down the fleeing wolf rider and we wear down the crossbowman
95869542.jpg

We can see the edge of the orcish camp up ahead. Once we break through, we may be able to reinforce up there.
20789622.jpg

Ghostdog finishes off the crossbowman, advances to Shadow :incline:
17793069.jpg

anus_pounder finishes off the warrior, Saark kills the wolf rider. We rush towards the encampment
38695110.jpg

29683133.jpg

98300725.jpg

28516720.jpg

This is what Backstab does to an enemy :love:
23452285.jpg

44140419.jpg

Elvish Death Count: 49
We try to set up another backstab rape
12032033.jpg

37281761.jpg

Sadly, only one of Ghostdogs attacks hit, while the orc hits with all 3. This puts Ghostdog at exactly 0 HP :x

Saark continues wailing (literally) on the orcish leader, gaining him the last 2 XP he needed
40523898.jpg

Spekkio kills the leader and advances to prowler. :thumbsup:
19451740.jpg

88373059.jpg

Soggie peppers one of the remaining orcs with arrows and we clear out the camp.
67758735.jpg

10466783.jpg

We haven't enough gold to recruit more units, so we'll continue westwards...

...next update :smug:
37593666.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
anus_pounder said:
Not only did I not level up, Im an archer, my shame only continues to grow.

I'll try and get you killed so you can turn into the manly undead you wanted eventually. :P

anus_pounder

Arcane
Ehh...I'm not sure anymore. Having played some myself, I dare say being a fag marksman might actually be better than a Draug and its terrible movement.

In your opinion, how do elvish bows stand up to undead ones?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Elvish bows are probably the best in the game. The marksman/Sharpshooter line in paticular is quite brilliant, because they're assured a 60% hit chance on attack. This is key to wearing down units in well-defended hexes. That said, I'll probably get you killed anyway, since your traits were rather rubbish. Intelligent has no use once you hit level 3, and Resilient - while not as bad for an archer as Strong - won't see much use either. I'd rather have seen you draw quick, dextrous.

It's a bit of a bummer we lost both warrior spirits and a shadow so fast. Especially since we can't afford to recruit replacements. I'll have to be careful with Saark and Exmit, so we can come out of this with at least SOME undead incline. I predict a lot of people will experience short and glorious afterlives as shadows. Their ButtRape attack deals hideous amounts of damage, but also leaves them terribly exposed afterwards.

10466783.jpg

This image shows you why Shadows are awesome. The orc has a base attack of 10-2, but it's reduced to 4-2 by the shadows resistences. On top of that, the shadow is a skirmisher and can stealth at night or in caves thanks to nightstalk.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Fucking Bethesdalove sucker, cant fucking survive in any LP sucker.

Btw isnt mal keshar in the necro campagn too?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If you had been following the plot -- can't blame you if you haven't -- this is basically hundreds od years after the normal campaigns. Mal Keshar is the guy from Descent into Darkness, who got chased underground by the humans after he turned necromancer. There's going to be a run-in with the lady of the light later on as well, so that should be fairly gay and jolly. The reason I know this is because I skimmed ahead when copying text for the narrator from the plotline.cfg

I'll post the rest of the mission as soon as we get an extra page in this thread. This one was getting a little image-heavy

Cassidy

Arcane
The necromancer campaign in Wesnoth has a very anti-climatic ending because:

The last mission will repeat itself over and over with different "Foolish heroes" trying to defeat Mal Keshar in the cave until you lose. There is no shown objective to "GTFO the cave" either, thus I guess it'd keep going on ad infinitum. Is that a way of telling the campaign is still unfinished or was it intended to be like that?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm... not sure, actually. Last time I played it was ages ago, when it wasn't mainline yet and definately unfinished. All the mainline campaingns SHOULD have a proper ending though. Perhaps there was a bugger or a trigger you overlooked.

anus_pounder

Arcane

:insert shame only grows comment here:

EDIT : Skeleton Warrior it is, then. At least I look cool as a draug, assuming i live that long. :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom