Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Berwick Saga (PS2 Strategy-RPG from the director of Fire Emblem 1-5)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 167: Chapter 9-1 - The Supply Base (ending)

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6CMu9phtK0

koUwBhM.jpg

Tianna enters the office.

ixS69o5.jpg

Reese: Did they run into any other issues after the battle?

Tianna: None, milord. The Imperial soldiers who had been arriving to reinforce the base have retreated back to the front line.

Reese: Good. Tell them that once everything is taken care of, they should return here as soon as possible.

Tianna: As you wish.

2gOwT3e.jpg

Some time later...

5tT9uLE.jpg

Corona: I am deeply grateful to you and to the Sinon Knights.

Reese: You need not thank me. It is my subordinates who deserve credit for their service. Despite the enemy's new weapon, they completed their mission without faltering.

Corona: What I wouldn't give to have such brave and loyal knights to command as yours... That reminds me, about those prototype blueprints they retrieved... My artillery engineers were utterly astonished, to say the least. They need some adjusting, but if we're able to perfect the design, it could turn the war in our favour...

Reese remains silent, as though deep in thought.

Q9oOZDm.jpg

Reese: All that's happened is that both sides have gotten more deadly.

Corona: ...You have a point there... If all we do is make more effective killing machines, the death toll will likely only rise higher... and yet, without this weapon, I risk dooming my men from the start. Though war changes, the life of a soldier is inevitably a harsh one...

Reese: ...General...

Corona: ...You've helped me a great deal with everything you've done. Thank you again, Lord Reese. I will inform Duke Roswick of your honourable deeds. You are dismissed.

u8wjXoQ.jpg

Without spoiling too much, we will be seeing General Corona again in the not-too-distant future.

Back at the office, I ransom the Imperial prisoner:

KRx60ub.jpg

Looks like Volo wants something.

wUvHifP.jpg

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If2T1MJgcHI

qih5bEl.jpg

Volo: I've worked for you for a while now... I think it might be interesting to join your little band of soldiers.

Ward: How rude! You cannot simply--

Reese: Ward, Volo has proven himself to be a valuable asset to this army. This has been a long time coming. I happily accept your offer, Volo.

LNNtQ5v.jpg

Ward: Yes, milord...

SHl8cLa.jpg

Unfortunately the path I chose means we won't get Volo's backstory, but I'll look into perhaps adding that to this LP as a post-campaign bonus.

Last edited:

KingDoofus

Scholar
Great post, as always.

Unfortunately the path I chose means we won't get Volo's backstory, but I'll look into perhaps adding that to this LP as a post-campaign bonus.

This would be very much appreciated. I know unlocking Volo's backstory is very difficult; as such it seems there's hardly any information on Volo's backstory to be found anywhere.

Endemic

Arcane
This would be very much appreciated. I know unlocking Volo's backstory is very difficult

Well, there is one easy way to do it:

If Faye is dead or captured, Chaos will leave the area in Chapter 3, which leads to an event when the priest reaches the building (that's why Sakhalin has a fire spell in his inventory). Then this starts off Volo's alternate recruitment path and the story events around it.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 168: Chapter 9-2 - The Devil of Volpoz Valley (Introduction)

I7EOEuJ.jpg

PO4jQf3.jpg

hVXfcnk.jpg

Rockefeller: I know it's short notice, but I need to ask a favour of you. Will you hear it?

Reese: It sounds like you're in a bit of a bind... What kind of problem are you having, Colonel Rockefeller?

Rockefeller: You see, the battle with the Empire gets fiercer every day for us in the Narvian army. The fighting near Remagen River has been especially bloody... Because of the large amount of goods we require, securing a new supply route is currently our top priority.

Reese: I see... I've heard passing talk about a new base in the Dania Canyons. Then the route you want to secure would be the Volpoz Highway that runs through one of its valleys?

Rockefeller: Yes, you are very perceptive! I should have expected no less. We believed the Volpoz Highway would be convenient and efficient for transporting supplies. To that end, we sent an advance party to hold down the area for us... But we never received a single report from them. Not a thing.

GaKH5fI.jpg

Rockefeller: It's humiliating... and now, rumours are starting to spread that there is a devil living in the canyon... All of my men are too scared to set foot near that place... I need your help.

Reese: All right, I understand. I will send some knights to take care of the situation.

Rockefeller: Thank you! I knew I could count on you, Lord Reese. Right, I should let you know... There's a reason that people are calling this the work of a devil. It's because when we investigated the corpses of the advance party, we found something rather concerning...

Reese: Oh?

Rockefeller: Yes... All of them were killed in the exact same way: stabbed with a sharp implement at the base of the skull.

zTckjcn.jpg

Clearly this group are intent on sending a message to stay clear of their territory. In any case, we can't let the problem fester behind the front lines.

Preparations

789LiGI.jpg

With 7 deployment slots, I'll need to choose carefully (as a side note, this is one of the mission titles that had to be shortened to fit in the UI).

There was a lot of useful loot from the supply base:

wquDVPU.jpg

I think it's safe to assume the Narvian troops were ambushed from high ground on the flanks of the canyon, so that calls for an infantry-led battle group. To that end, I spend 875 on hiring Faramir:

J8nPTUP.jpg

Sherlock will remain useful for ranged support, so I give him a fresh horse (the one we just captured at the base).

H4gvDeA.jpg

I'll keep Dean, Elbert, Kramer, Larentia and Izerna active as well. For new equipment, Sherlock gets an apollyon; a bastard sword for Faramir; a longsword for Kramer; a shortsword for Larentia; and a heal orb for Izerna.

Battle party

TsfEKUk.jpg

Sherlock is coming along nicely, and he'll be even better when promoted. Hopefully I can keep his horse alive this time :P

CHNHXxx.jpg

Provoke will again be very useful here, although maybe it's some personal bias that influences my choice of bringing Elbert nearly every mission :)

Q7RK0FS.jpg

Larentia brings the boon of flight as usual, and with adept + the lady sword (stashed in her bag) she can deal some extra damage if needs be.

RA1ftMZ.jpg

Not too much to say here, Izerna will do the usual cleric things. Although capping her light skill (50) will be important for a future mission.

v0dFzH9.jpg

If my calculations are correct, Kramer is close to his recruitment mission, and his skillset should fit this scenario nicely. With the rapier he's now at 97 to hit, which is a nice improvement.

5VUJepW.jpg

I should be able to promote Dean in this mission as well, which will boost his already impressive stats even further. He's 1 point away from his current axe skill cap, with promotion then increasing that to a maximum of 60. Though in practice you'll struggle to get above 50 without excessive favouritism.

rff4t2w.jpg

Faramir's weapon flexibility and high infantry movement are just what I need here, though careful positioning will be required given he's still sitting at a defence of 2.

Moving on to the mission site itself, we start pinned between a river and sheer cliffs. The nearby drawbridge is up. Most of the enemies are up above the cliffs, with several snipers lining the edge.

x8MDZSp.jpg

tEcOIHf.jpg

There are shallows to the far north allowing us to cross the river, along with some loot in the northeast corner. Mounted archers and some brigands are covering the western flank of the river.

P4UljEV.jpg

This swordfighter is very dangerous. Not only are his stats impressive:

M1ZsfLB.jpg

...but he can also deathmatch and has +1 movement.

tKZIti4.jpg

Fortunately he doesn't have adept, so he isn't quite Volo's evil twin :P

Gievas here must be the leader of this band:

lYkACkC.jpg

He doesn't look too impressive, but arrowbane will force us to fight him at close range. He may also try to flee via the nearby escape point if we take too long.

NshephZ.jpg

There is a priest with fire + physic that is worth noting:

UZY9qeI.jpg

JZkqqAG.jpg

After a quick rearrange of starting positions, time to begin.

0HMCFJw.jpg

pCQzyb9.jpg

Holun: My daughter is ill, and it is the only treatment we have... Please, sir!

Gievas: You remind me of my father... ...All right. I won't take it from you.

Holun: R-Really?! Oh, thank you, thank you!

Before he gets much further, an assassin appears from the drawbridge hut, and stabs him in the back. He only manages to turn around and gasp a few words before dying:

lydVkNc.jpg

Gievas: I said I wouldn't take it. I didn't say anything about what my men might do.

z0lciJQ.jpg

Gievas: We're thieves, aren't we? Robbing and killing is just the same as breathing for men like us. Now, then... Looks like a bunch of hoity-toity knights have decided to grace us with their presence. Wonder if they're here for my head. Too bad they'll be dead before they even get a chance to see it.

nse03Al.jpg

Gievas: Don't get antsy. As long as we keep the bridge up, they're trapped in the canyon. If you really want to cut them up, go down there yourself.

Friz: You don't mind? That's a first. You're always so strict about how your plans go.

Gievas: Nothing wrong with mixing things up every once in a while. The only way they can get up here is by crossing the shallows at the far end of the canyon.

d9OnNu5.jpg

That's quite a display of manipulation and cruelty there, Gievas. It certainly explains why he's got a bounty on his head. I'll be sure to take him out, along with every last man working for him...

Endemic

Arcane
Update 169: Chapter 9-2 - The Devil of Volpoz Valley (part 1)

Sorry about the long wait, had to take a hiatus due to hardware failure. All fixed up now though :)

If you're in a hurry, you can just seize the fort by driving off\killing Gievas. However, as promised, I will be exterminating his whole band.

3tSXSX0.jpg

First order of business is to climb up out of this unfavourable terrain. Elbert comes under attack, but dodges or blocks all of the arrows:

kSrrJWr.jpg

Somewhat threatening for a pitchfork.

tE0bNIl.jpg

Larentia (losing a spear in the process) and Faramir deal with the archer.

a2rr9GH.jpg

daaQSGm.jpg

That takes our ranger to level 12.

5GdkMRW.jpg

Elbert uses provoke at the start of turn 2:

yoIDYMS.jpg

Faramir takes a hit, but injures his assailant.

gHDht8i.jpg

Dean sweeps in to take advantage, crippling the enemy. Sherlock then moves in for the capture.

KqqUWeW.jpg

Heh, 14 speed at level 14.

NyLKQst.jpg

Larentia switches to the lady sword, getting 2 hits thanks to this brigand missing with his counterattack skill.

hnuH1Yj.jpg

Seems that Friz is looking forward to combat with us:

tAPEDQ4.jpg

Sherlock goes on overwatch, cutting down the mounted archer (who was still under Elbert's provoke).

mC6radd.jpg

Unfortunately this allowed the nearby brigand to retreat and heal with a vulnerary. Dean avoids an attack, then counters and gets adept + a crit.

zL8hOiS.jpg

Larentia picks up some verutums from Elbert.

5drnYtV.jpg

She then throws one at the brigand:

t45mCV0.jpg

The latter charges back at us, but to no avail.

BS9P04g.jpg

Sherlock dispatches him.

HhzI0bP.jpg

Faramir advances and cuts down the next enemy.

QVQS5l7.jpg

Next turn, Friz is still thirsting for blood:

t4nZSEx.jpg

Sherlock and Larentia take down a hammer-wielding brigand.

oAW7Kd5.jpg

Strength, not bad.

1IC42Sc.jpg

Dean steps forward to lure an enemy mercenary, who misses and gets injured for his trouble.

IhoRPMt.jpg

Izerna gets something to do:

yDMWrlH.jpg

Seems everyone except Friz is waiting for us to reach them.

Wu9WU4G.jpg

Larentia makes use of her mercy skill.

PVh4lFm.jpg

Dean captures the merc.

IEGqlUu.jpg

Sherlock's double shot takes care of the nearest archer.

7PaJ62E.jpg

Always good to keep in mind overlapping enemy ranges:

MY4pnwJ.jpg

Sherlock has his one-two skill available, so he targets the priest...

I8lcy1s.jpg

...then uses canto to retreat out of enemy range. Friz is now in reach, so I send Elbert over to attack first.

3yEz4ug.jpg

Again, I use canto to move him back to safety. Dean lures in the mounted thief and takes a chunk out of him upon counterattacking.

66Rscxx.jpg

Faramir and Larentia attack Friz, but it isn't quite enough to eliminate him. Meanwhile, Kramer finally sees some action.

Qr4OOtH.jpg

The thief's horse is retrieved in the process.

QsvM9qY.jpg

On turn 8, Friz draws his last breath:

f6vTg9j.jpg

A brigand tries to strike at Faramir, but will come to regret that choice.

nmHgI2e.jpg

kMil3sT.jpg

Again, Dean captures the enemy. This axe will sell for a decent price.

B4YI0f5.jpg

Kramer and Sherlock deal with the next archer.

MR91HU8.jpg

Now he's reached promotion level.

M7U7VWS.jpg

Larentia advances, and spots an assassin hiding in trees:

qAV9b3b.jpg

LSfAfSr.jpg

One more archer bites the dust. Along with an iron axe.

wBK6LwY.jpg

Sherlock uses a sniper arrow to hit the assassin.

S3AMpvd.jpg

Enemy reinforcements arrive on the following turn.

3ZgTCzI.jpg

cl102QU.jpg

Apparently "logis" means dwelling in French (perhaps baud can tell us if this is common usage).

Sherlock takes up overwatch at the cliffs.

S9A5V8j.jpg

Faramir and Dean are tasked to take care of the assassin.

NXriUXb.jpg

I guess he got lucky twice.

SAGOtJG.jpg

Next time, we'll be crossing the river:

xwELcjk.jpg

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently "logis" means dwelling in French (perhaps baud can tell us if this is common usage).

It's not that common, more old-fashioned I guess.
And good to see that back :salute:

Endemic

Arcane

Endemic

Arcane
Sorry for the lack of updates recently folks, RL got in the way again.

While I'm finishing Chapter 9-2, here are some of the alternate scenes in the campaign:

In Chapter 1, if Reese doesn't talk to Izerna during the mission, the post-mission dialogue changes to reflect that:

CrFR5VZ.jpg

ilVEQBr.jpg

nRCRUHw.jpg

There are a couple of paraphrased lines similar to the scene in my LP after this, which I didn't screenshot. The conversation then resumes with the talk of travelling to Navaron.

When you decline an optional mission, there is a confirmation prompt:

RMMAzP3.jpg

Kj5pS4l.jpg

NsgG7le.jpg

Declining to rescue Lumiere in chapter 5 brings up a new scene:

rPBDYeq.jpg

yScn9Xt.jpg

Danton: It was me and my carelessness that failed to protect Lumiere... Besides, the sting of losing some money is nothing compared to the joy of having her back!

Lumiere: Forgive me, Mr. Danton... I should've been more careful...

Danton: Don't worry about it, Lumiere. We'll make it back in no time!

OQZy3U8.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention - Lumiere is French for "light" (though baud probably noticed ;) ). Obviously, getting this scene means Adel will be forever alone :P aside from the loss of mission rewards. The citizen request for Adel in chapter 9 is also different, along with the epilogue.

Another alternate scene happens if you decline "The Armoury Situation" in chapter 8:

JRwuYh6.jpg

Savat: And as you can see, Cecily is safely back home again. She actually managed to escape, and she was picked up by a passing peddler and brought here. It won't bring the money back, but I'd give up any amount of money to have my little girl back.

Cecily: Father...

Presumably she escapes when the wyvern attacks and causes a diversion (there might be elaboration on this in later dialogue that I haven't seen yet). While most players won't see them, these kind of alternate scenes do show off a bit of extra characterisation and attention to detail. Unfortunately it requires several playthroughs and reloads to uncover all of the differences, but I will try to fit some more in later.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 170: Chapter 9-2 - The Devil of Volpoz Valley (part 2)

Larentia picks up a crafting material:

gzxUl2A.jpg

Moving into position to confront the formation of corsairs.

pFHf7Cd.jpg

Elbert's sword breaks at an inconvenient moment.

f4IvcmZ.jpg

Sherlock and Kramer also move in to attack, with partial success. Next turn, Elbert turns his attention to Logis.

HiQdouh.jpg

Enemy cavalry joins the battle.

mve2lpp.jpg

Izerna catches up to support the group:

JufPhzE.jpg

Faramir takes point, cutting down one of the corsairs.

v2MXjeo.jpg

Dean's axe deals with another.

wA43Bs0.jpg

Level 16 brings good tidings.

rIsQ5VD.jpg

A spear from above proves effective:

In0Kdqs.jpg

As the fighting continues, Faramir's swordwork clears the river crossing.

PqEMn9i.jpg

Logis makes the customary introduction threat.

DE8bQMY.jpg

Vengeful (69% chance here) activates this time though, and Dean inflicts considerable damage.

pAh5JAY.jpg

Since he's vulnerable, I make sure healing is my next action.

vOuJogQ.jpg

Izerna finally receives magic and speed on the level-up:

UqWTbqs.jpg

Sherlock's arrow proves fatal, with Logis managing to spit out one last regret.

vF8bzNS.jpg

The one-two skill is available, allowing for a shot at the last remaining corsair. Meanwhile, Gievas takes notice.

tJcEeDg.jpg

Gievas: Well, I'm not out of tricks yet. Let 'em come this way. They're in for a big surprise.

Next turn, the crossing is finally cleared.

aQ9j2NN.jpg

Everyone else is ordered to focus on the archer wielding raijin arrows; a few attacks later he's gone:

1oYTjf1.jpg

Another horse is acquired in the process.

nvEC7xp.jpg

Physic's range comes in useful here.

A44rOgk.jpg

Larentia and Faramir deal with the next cavalry archer.

jYzpKfx.jpg

I guess 13 is unlucky this time.

ZODPgGs.jpg

Izerna is targeted, so I immediately have Sherlock intercept before any fatal damage can be inflicted:

8CDuOSS.jpg

Elbert moves on ahead while Izerna uses a vulnerary. A spear charge by Larentia eliminates the last archer.

pmMjif9.jpg

She's doing surprisingly well stat-wise.

Fsilmtd.jpg

Faramir is ambushed by a sniper in the nearby trees.

Da5BbWn.jpg

Elbert and Kramer take him out.

TQgh0uh.jpg

Larentia scouts the area and finds an assassin hiding parallel to where the sniper was:

YQkhTAz.jpg

Faramir is best suited for the job given his crit immunity, so I send him in.

L2LG7Hx.jpg

Easily enough experience points for another level.

jMG0DLH.jpg

Slightly further ahead, Larentia spots more enemies waiting in cover.

oxeYNpS.jpg

4jluxfz.jpg

FWHnJBO.jpg

Sherlock's first arrow doesn't connect, but once again his multishot skills come into play.

MTfeBrh.jpg

Dean, with the help of adept, takes out number two:

vjmFTN8.jpg

Gievas shows a hint of concern.

PXWslDH.jpg

Switching to Rossweisse for better accuracy, Sherlock cuts down the third enemy in this forested section.

6O82X0J.jpg

Lots of level-ups this mission.

Njy5cCI.jpg

We spot Laon, who is guarding the bridge controls.

dfeqQx8.jpg

r66z16b.jpg

Faramir steps up to duel him, with both men getting a hit in.

2IYDbLi.jpg

Further attacks are ineffective. I resort to using Dean's desperation skill, and get lucky:

3aKXH4R.jpg

Nice.

JswTWf1.jpg

Despite all of his men being slaughtered, Gievas remains defiant.

uQIEzL3.jpg

On the following turn, he intends to flee.

nzZAWVX.jpg

Larentia cuts off his escape, causing him to strike at Sherlock. However, he is soon cornered and shown no mercy.

KEte9Pm.jpg

The Volpoz fort is secured.

hjAUCrQ.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 171: Chapter 9-2 - The Devil of Volpoz Valley (ending)

EbV35DB.jpg

U2nMCZJ.jpg

Rockefeller: Leave that to me! I will do all that I can to ensure the food and equipment keep coming. What you've done will be a great boon to our army. I will, of course, be reporting your outstanding work to Duke Roswick.

Reese: I am grateful, Colonel, but you need not go so far...

Rockefeller: Nonsense, sir! Now you and your knights should take a well-earned rest.

c3FIV4Y.jpg

The metaphorical devil was perhaps that bloodthirsty swordfighter. Or maybe just the canyon itself, seemingly cursed after the misfortune those poor soldiers suffered there.

yNN1I07.jpg

Very nice reward, and fitting given the importance of military logistics. Speaking of rewards, it's time to collect the bounty for eliminating Gievas:

uwG2yO3.jpg

Promotion time.

u9Hipm7.jpg

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYGeKSFJP5A

88sckjb.jpg

Sherlock steps forward as the ceremony begins.

U6fO1Us.jpg

Ward: Sherlock, raise your head and look upon your liege!

Sherlock: Yes, sir!

OdjpoXx.jpg

dg58YpP.jpg

jTNCZ91.jpg

bblL21B.jpg

applause

fRt6My5.jpg

That's +2 HP, +2 Str, +1 Def and +3 Spd. Even better, he gets a fancy new ride:

wMONsin.jpg

It has 80HP and confers +1 movement. Given how rare and expensive the Ishs courser is, keeping it away from specialist horse-killing weapons (such as poleaxes) is vital.

Moving on, Dean gets his turn in the limelight:

04vgYw8.jpg

There is murmuring in the mercenary guild as Dean arrives.

qVAP3X3.jpg

1uAfoMG.jpg

Blond mercenary: That's Dean, huh?

n6vrO05.jpg

Routh: Dean, there's been a lot of talk about you and your success these days among the guild's leadership. With your skill and track record, you've earned a title with the guild. The guildmaster himself approved the request to give you the honour.

EZbFh3I.jpg

Routh: Of course! You've earned it, my friend! Start holding your head higher! You're a top dog around here now!

Dean: (I'm... a Berserker...?)

Later, there is a gathering to celebrate.

sdyAHci.jpg

Routh: Today, let's all share a toast for Dean and his bright future!

Dark-haired mercenary: Nice work, Dean!

tIwfEuo.jpg

Young mercenary: Congratulations!

mh0r7Cq.jpg

Dean: Izerna... You're here too?

Izerna: I know not where the path of your life will lead... But I pray that at its end, you will find Mother Veria's embrace...

The crowd applauds.

oFW8k5l.jpg

4Vce0Wq.jpg

That's +1 HP, +2 Str, +1 Def, +1 Spd. Not the best bonuses by any stretch, but given how good he is already, it's understandable. If you want an in-story justification, then Izerna's moral temperance works :)

The Sinon Knights will be back in action soon...

G1vFg7P.jpg

lhGMlVL.jpg

PIYeyAM.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Actually now that I recall, there is another version of Dean's promotion scene if she's deceased (recruitment is not a prerequisite for promotion in his case).

Still, looking at the datamined stat spread, he's doing pretty well in this run.

Endemic

Arcane
I've updated the opening post to include more of the intro, including shots of the battle between General Zephyrus' and King Mordias's armies.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 172: Paralogue 2 - Hero of the Sea (part 1)

Ax5OAVx.jpg

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t7pWzxrgKs

kDph3HQ.jpg

Tianna: We received your request for military assistance. Are you the manager here, sir?

Norman: I'm his representative, Norman. We put in a request to the military, so I wasn't expecting knights...

Tianna: Would you please explain the situation to us?

Norman: Yes, of course. Our company specialises in the transport of cargo and travellers to other countries on the Sea of Berre. We're doing all we can to keep this country afloat with maritime trade through this awful war.

9ZgTeQK.jpg

Norman: The navy does what it can to protect us near the ports, but they can't afford to guard us the entire way. We've tried hiring mercenaries and escort ships to make up the difference, but... Well, there just aren't enough of them to go around. Still, this city depends on the goods and services we provide! We can't stop working out of fear of a handful of pirates.

F3IEgq1.jpg

Norman: That would be wonderful. Maybe the likes of you will able to scare off those pirates for good.

Tianna: We will do our utmost. I shall return to you with a response as soon as I am able.

Norman: Thank you, Lady Tianna.

A short while later...

nALwYgr.jpg

Reese: That reminds me, the guild has also been requesting related jobs...

Tianna: With regards to cargo escorts? Yes, they are currently understaffed.

Reese: That's quite unfortunate... Ward, prepare an escort party.

Ward: Milord?

hLZtN2y.jpg

The last of the troops board the ship, but Sylvis arrives and wants something.

(I would put her theme here, but I can't find a rip of it anywhere. So have this piano version of My Home Amidst the Sunlight instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2WTnnLdjLM )

vZsZIgd.jpg

WWFwjyr.jpg

Sylvis: You remember what I told you before, about why I came here to Narvia in the first place, don't you?

Reese: Yes, I remember. You're looking to capture a pirate named Weiss, wasn't that it?

Sylvis: Right, and now I've decided to be more proactive in my search.

Reese: Our purpose for this excursion is not to take prisoners, and I don't imagine we will encounter Weiss by chance...

Reese clearly didn't read the script :P

Sylvis: I know that. But it's better than searching for him on land.

Reese: ...Very well. But tell me, why do all this just to seek out a single pirate? This is going far beyond your duties as a mercenary...

Sylvis: I'm grateful to you for allowing me to come along, Lord Reese... But I'll thank you not to stick your nose into my personal business!

Reese [bemused]: Sylvis...? No, never mind...

07EMCTv.jpg

Another familiar face appears:

44ZFEtu.jpg

Sylvis: Shaiah?!

She receives a blank look in response.

Sylvis: I'm surprised you're not with Weiss on his ship.

Shaiah: That day we met at the tavern, he'd already let me off the ship...

Her expression turns malevolent.

t6fIUEu.jpg

I dunno, Shaiah, seems like an empty threat to me. You backed down at the tavern already.

Moving on to preparations:

TsuuMCZ.jpg

I'll be needing some good arrows for Sylvis to use, so off to the bow shop.

Yevnfy3.jpg

A few standard ones wouldn't hurt either.

LEVJETB.jpg

...and finally, a new bow:

wTBhc91.jpg

With the low squad limit, I won't be taking Izerna along, so I distribute leftover vulneraries to the whole group.

ZBVBoTO.jpg

Dean's pretty close to level 18 (which will allow him to take full advantage of hammers), so I may as well take him. Desperation will also be good for quick kills.

sSPozaw.jpg

Clifford and Elbert will be in the tank role, and I may as well try out the Xyston (historically a large spear, best known by its use in the Macedonian companion cavalry).

Q1A022J.jpg

dCd5K0X.jpg

A freshly promoted Sherlock is too good to pass up for this mission. Triple shot together with one-two is a killer combination.

2Xs3hD8.jpg

Since we're engaging in ship-to-ship combat, Larentia's mobility will be very helpful. She can also hit and run with impunity using throwing spears.

WkitxFt.jpg

With that done, it's time to set sail.

FYive6w.jpg

A group of merchants are passing the time on deck, as the sound of waves and seagulls can be heard in the background.

gfq4kZQ.jpg

Unfortunately, the peace is interrupted.

kUmAsHc.jpg

Old merchant: An unknown ship?!

A man observes from the bow.

Lookout: I can't make out its ensign, but... No... Black sails...? Batten down the hatches men! THE PIRATES ARE COMING!

The passengers continue to react to the sighting.

z4SXuYl.jpg

Oh hey there, French-looking guy.

pw4wVhd.jpg

Female merchant: Oh, Goddess... Save us...!

PYjKcGW.jpg

Old merchant: This is why they're here, to protect us from these pirates! Everyone, follow me, we'll take cover below deck till it's over!

They do so.

IG9hNoK.jpg

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL2UVb-an7M

Meanwhile, the Sinon Knights prepare to do battle:

aVZFMaq.jpg

A large group of corsairs is already making off with stolen goods and coin.

DqRrqLq.jpg

They all have the counter skill, and a few have more valuable loot.

jQ7esRl.jpg

c0mMFN8.jpg

s9Af8BQ.jpg

There are snipers positioned on the gangplanks.

Ds10PMJ.jpg

Q4b0VJc.jpg

The second is less accurate but has better equipment:

H6xWnY6.jpg

B3gpE27.jpg

Yes, you saw that correctly, a foot unit with canto :P

Weiss is over at the far side.

bQoZhFs.jpg

5J2hU5T.jpg

:lol:

A strong hint at what we're supposed to do here. ;)

Without further ado, I reposition units and commence the fight.

8lml3Lz.jpg

npbYRpK.jpg

Weiss: What?!

Sea Mouse: There's a group of soldiers readying for battle on the other ship!

Weiss: Those tricky dogs... They've brought an escort team!

Sea Mouse: Captain, what do we do?

Weiss: Bring any loot below deck, and take of our injured men. Then, we'll take the fight to them!

kYPCFo3.jpg

Sea Mouse: Aye aye, sir!

47olYuz.jpg

Odd choice of name, but maybe the idea is misdirection.

Sylvis: Everyone, leave the captain to me! I'll take care of him myself! (...Weiss... This time, you're mine!)

R4m3kQT.jpg

Straightforward enough. Larentia heads out first, and throws a verutum at the nearest enemy:

Wy06jrl.jpg

They start to fall back, as Dean moves in to cleave down another corsair, courtesy of the desperation skill.

ckMdET0.jpg

That takes him to level 18.

2yKypTT.jpg

Sylvis takes aim.

NGyY86i.jpg

The arrow connects. A follow-up attack by Clifford mortally wounds the still defiant opposition.

jN0qAGS.jpg

This draws some attention, but the corsair swings wide and is struck by a counter.

XpYFie0.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Weiss is here to pirate ships, what other reasons could he have ?
mystery.png

His reaction to seeing knights implied he's used to attacking only undefended ships. Seems a bit questionable for him to stand and fight, and risk death\capture. Maybe that's just my interpretation.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 173: Paralogue 2 - Hero of the Sea (part 2)

On turn 2, Clifford sweeps in to block the plank:

TOCn1LN.jpg

Sea Mouse: It makes me sleep easier at night knowin' those rich tubs o' lard are a few coins poorer!

Mr6oN4O.jpg

Elbert uses his shortsword to follow up on the same enemy.

bV3Eh8o.jpg

Level 16 brings a boost to hp and medium shield skill.

dTYbkm8.jpg

Thanks to the corsair missing his counterattack, and rolling adept, Larentia cuts him down.

m9e9Kjh.jpg

K385UGv.jpg

Clifford's shield gets broken, though it's only a minor inconvenience given it was at low durability.

7PPXczv.jpg

He has the last word with his counterattack:

fKdI013.jpg

Sylvis and Sherlock team up to eliminate another corsair.

EgkOHLl.jpg

Elbert dodges the broadhead arrows aimed at him.

0G3Hwil.jpg

Turn 3 sees more of Weiss's men arrive.

grjZ20G.jpg

More tough talk as we attack what's left of the boarding party.

RM5P2Rc.jpg

Sea Mouse: Come at me, ye scruvy dogs! I'll knock you into next week!

Unfortunately, the archer manages to strike Sherlock on his turn:

ahdfTvm.jpg

A crit allows Clifford to one-shot this corsair.

Jkhs5ea.jpg

No luck for Elbert, although he does gain more shield skill from blocking.

zWx1siN.jpg

Next turn, more reinforcements appear.

Pye3AAB.jpg

Sylvis takes out the archer that put Sherlock to sleep, so we can advance now.

53W0Mzf.jpg

The last boarder is dead, and all of the loot recovered:

PVZTcWF.jpg

Our knights charge at the nearest swordsman and dispatch him.

YjXqh8t.jpg

More of the "Sea Mice" join the fray.

XnyFtFY.jpg

There goes Clifford's starting spear.

nI9d8ZO.jpg

Dean takes the opportunity to heal.

NnezBFi.jpg

That's nice, Sherlock is back in action quicker than anticipated.

FlKsGwN.jpg

Another pair of swordsmen emerge:

x6x9QdM.jpg

Sylvis aims at the nearest one and snipes him easily.

enDC5Ss.jpg

Larentia throws a verutum, leading to another kill.

Hy7lvGg.jpg

Clifford tries out the xyston; it performs pretty well.

IHEingl.jpg

Elbert follows up with a quick swing of his shortsword.

Srp7kBp.jpg

Dean finally re-enters the fight, but his axe breaks immediately:

ysltJ8P.jpg

Another one bites the dust.

YbpgTsG.jpg

Next turn, Dean switches to his broadaxe, but the enemy parries it.

8cHaG1a.jpg

Elbert and Sylvis fix that issue.

6KkxYv8.jpg

Larentia throws a verutum at the swordsman trying to flank us.

KolEqKf.jpg

Another level-up, but not much of consequence with it:

d3lDBCm.jpg

Sherlock uses triple-shot to lethal effect.

TCRCSAq.jpg

Elbert strikes down the second archer.

mDbOftO.jpg

Weiss is staying put, for whatever reason. Time to grab him.

kiTfPSj.jpg

Weiss: It's been a long while since I've had this much fun!

Sherlock takes off nearly half his hp, so Sylvis steps forward to meet her nemesis.

TVLssKm.jpg

Sylvis: There's nowhere for you to run! Today, you're coming with me!

Weiss: Sylvis, Sylvis, Sylvis... Isn't it about time we stopped playing this silly game? Most men wouldn't be able to handle a girl playing hard-to-get like you!

Sylvis: Nonsense like that won't catch me off guard any longer! This ends now!

Weiss: Like I said last time, you'll never be able to catch a man like me... You'll have to kill me. I can't be contained, not even by a lovely lady like you. Now, why don't we discuss this in a more peaceable manner? Perhaps we can take a sojourn to my captain's quarters...

:lol:

Sylvis: Shut up...! SHUT UP WEISS!!

6TfQD9g.jpg

Welp, guess she'll have to try again.

HUgcnBt.jpg

That's more like it. Sylvis gloats at her success:

plYjcFy.jpg

Weiss: Heh... That was a nice shot... Sylvis...

Capturing him gives us his items, of course.

0dyxkYL.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 174: Paralogue 2 - Hero of the Sea (ending)

LP0ou5I.jpg

Sylvis: Don't patronize me! Are you saying you purposefully let yourself get caught?

Weiss: Does it really matter at this point?

Sylvis: It does to me!

Weiss: ...Afraid of losing your pride?

Sylvis seems to be taken aback by the piercing question, unable to answer.

Weiss: ...All right, guards. Take me away...

Sylvis: No! This conversation isn't over!

Weiss: That may be, but I don't have anything more to say...

Sylvis turns to the desk.

Sylvis: Routh, what will happen to Weiss, now that he's been captured?

z0OqUzs.jpg

She stands silently, as Weiss is taken to a cell.

Some time later...

ItPeZ5i.jpg

Sylvis turns around to acknowledge Shaiah's presence, but does not reply.

Shaiah: Say something, damn it!

Sylvis: ...I don't know... Yes, my goal was to capture Weiss, and I've finally done that... But...

Shaiah [pausing for a short while]: ...Let me tell you something that Weiss said to me a few days ago.

hPNIGyJ.jpg

Shaiah: A bounty hunter? Shouldn't you deal with her before she makes a mess of things?

Weiss: She's quite persistent, and it seems she refuses to settle for anything less than bringing me in alive. Honestly, it's been quite fun, playing this cat-and-mouse game.

Shaiah: But still...

Weiss: I've been marked as an outlaw for a long time, and I've dealt with more bounty hunters than I can count. They try for a while, but eventually, they all get tired and quit once they decide I'm not worth the trouble. But that girl... she's different. She's got commitment.

Shaiah: You think so?

Weiss [pausing briefly to contemplate]: ...I do.

Shaiah: But she doesn't know the true you. Not like I do... The world believes you're just like any other pirate, but I know better. You saved me from those foul men who killed my parents, my brother, my sister...

IJZ6mMi.jpg

Weiss: It's not like I'm trying to win anyone over with what I do. We have no regard for the law. We take money from others, and sometimes even take their lives...

Shaiah: But...

Weiss: Our actions take a toll on those people, and there may come a time when I have to pay for what I've done.

Hmm, I'd say he's a firm believer in karma, but that's just my take.

Weiss: That girl Sylvis... She's a constant reminder of the choices that I've made. Perhaps the time has come for me to face the consequences of my actions...

Shaiah: Weiss, don't say things like that!

Weiss [with a hearty laugh]: I was only speaking hypothetically!

NLyPV2A.jpg

So he was looking to be captured all along. Although she's perhaps biased, Shaiah has a good reason for thinking so highly of Weiss.

J6R128L.jpg

Shaiah: I wanted to stop him, but there was nothing I could do.

Sylvis: Shaiah...

Shaiah [raising her voice in disgust]: And now he's been arrested, all for the sake of your stupid pride! You're a murderer... if Weiss dies because of you, I'll never forgive you!

She storms off, leaving Sylvis to look on and contemplate events.

F1Fh0vU.jpg

Several hours later, Sylvis is still standing there. Reese and Ward come across her.

piNrssr.jpg

ZOIgWVO.jpg

Reese [stepping forward]: ...Sylvis, come back with us to the West House for now. You'll catch cold if you stay out here like this.

3ftpNvQ.jpg

Sylvis: Lord Reese... Am I a bad person...?

Reese doesn't answer, perhaps considering his reply.

Sylvis: I've been obsessed with the desire to capture Weiss for so long... Before, I had no doubt that those whom I hunted down for bounties were evil people, but now...

Tianna: ...The pirate Weiss targeted rich merchants and noblemen exclusively for his thefts. ...Then, it seems he gave the money to poor citizens whose lives had been affected by the war. I do not believe in the means he employed to help those people... ...But it does seem that he was motivated by some sense of justice.

Sylvis: All I cared about was my own pride as a hunter...

rHd3pgL.jpg

Reese: I think this lesson is something we all must learn for ourselves.

Sylvis: ...I've decided to quit being a bounty hunter from now on. It won't blot out the terrible things I've done, but still...

Tianna: Does that mean you will also be leaving the mercenary business?

Sylvis: I was wondering... if Lord Reese would have me for one of his soldiers...

Reese: A soldier?

Sylvis: Up until now, I've only ever lived for myself... I want to see what it's like to live for others for a change.

e2gnWHQ.jpg

Reese: I see... In that case, I've nothing more to add. Welcome to the Sinon Knights, Sylvis.

Sylvis: Thank you, Lord Reese...

Sylvis has one of the more interesting character arcs across the story. None of the hubris and confidence from the early chapters is left, and the encounter with Weiss has finally pushed her to fully reconsider her raison d'être. Combat is not just the clash of sword, bow and spear, but of competing ideologies and ends; this mission showed that on a smaller scale than previous battles through the perspective of Weiss and Sylvis. Is Weiss the titular "hero" of the sea? Or did Sylvis wage a just one-woman crusade to take him down?

Reese's excellent leadership skills are on display as well here. It's easy to see why he commands so much loyalty from his troops - he's able to understand them on a personal level and provide moral\spiritual guidance on par with his tactical ability. Pitched medieval battles often came down to whose morale and discipline were best, something that was reinforced earlier this chapter with Reese's comments to Esteban.

With that settled, off to claim the reward for capturing Weiss:

fmocISR.jpg

1KPGNLP.jpg

Morrow and Sandrov are the last bounties left.

YnWQreU.jpg

Thorakitai

Learned
I love the ambiguity that Weiss' actions imply. While being Robin Hood may be nice, he may have unknowningly made even life miserable for others who don't deserve it.

Good intentions aren't enough if you don't see the big picture.

Endemic

Arcane
I love the ambiguity that Weiss' actions imply. While being Robin Hood may be nice, he may have unknowingly made even life miserable for others who don't deserve it.

Indeed, Weiss himself acknowledges that in his conversation with Shaiah.

Good intentions aren't enough if you don't see the big picture.

Well that's the thing, Reese isn't above some pragmatism himself (eg blackmailing Padolf and getting Jung arrested when he was no longer useful). In public he might be feigning loyalty to Volcens, but privately he doesn't have any problem discussing who he considers his duty to be towards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom