Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Quest for Glory!

My god wonderful game, completely underestimated and forgotten, along with all the rest of Sierra's. Today such a game would be called avant-garde.

Infact, everyone play with my signature, please.

Mech

Cipher
Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests said:
My god wonderful game, completely underestimated and forgotten, along with all the rest of Sierra's. Today such a game would be called avant-garde.

I loved the game in your sig, I really gotta get around to installing and playing that again.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Conquests of the Longbow! One of the best games ever. EVAR!

The fanmade Quest for Glory-game isn't very good, really. It's a very tiresome parody and definitely not up to Sierra's or other fanmade games' standards.

Nael

Arcane

Kinda odd that when you try and disarm him you kill him and seem depressed about it (lose), but you can opt to just shoot him in the face with your bow without saying a word. In that outcome you're all like "Yeah I am awesome. Here. Take this dead rat as a gift. I wuv you." (win). So eh... wtf?

Radisshu

Prophet
Nael said:

Kinda odd that when you try and disarm him you kill him and seem depressed about it (lose), but you can opt to just shoot him in the face with your bow without saying a word. In that outcome you're all like "Yeah I am awesome. Here. Take this dead rat as a gift. I wuv you." (win). So eh... wtf?

It's because he kills the woman.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
qfgwow1sf5.jpg

Since the girl escaped, we have no choice but to return to the jungle and try to find the village on our own... or do we?

qfgwow3ux4.jpg

You feel as if someone is watching you.
You call out a greeting to the unseen watcher.
prisonerjd3.jpg
There isn't a creature in the jungle which has not heard you coming. Good thing you are not a hunter.
qfgwow6zn1.jpg

prisonerjd3.jpg
So, you may have paid the cow people bride price for me, but I am not your wife. You cannot buy me. Did you think you could win me with a gift? I will choose my own husband, when I want one.
You tell Johari you only want to be her friend.
prisonerjd3.jpg
I have heard those words before. First you buy me for a wife, then you want only to be friend. Right.
You try to explain that you are trying to bring peace between the Leopardmen and the Simbani.

prisonerjd3.jpg
So, all you want to do is use me to talk to my people? The only reason you want me for a friend is so I will betray my village for you? You never wanted to really marry me? What's the matter with you, am I ugly or something?
You try to talk your way out of this mess.
prisonerjd3.jpg
Some friend you are, trying to use me.
[Failure] Shouldn't have created a new character with sucky skills. Oh well, let's get to know this Johari a bit closer.
prisonerjd3.jpg
I am a daughter of the leader of the Leopard people, and a spellcasting changer. There will soon be open warfare between the cow people and my people. They first stole our Drum of Magic, and then they captured and sold me as a bride. These insults cannot be accepted. My father makes the laws for my tribe. The cow people would be plenty sorry they captured me, for my people would have wiped them out tonight if I had not escaped.
"Escaped"? More like "were released". Anyway, what happened to the original peace mission?
prisonerjd3.jpg
There has never been mention of a peace mission to my people. The Leopard People stay to themselves. I am the only one who has spoken with an outsider.
Fun facts keep surfacing.
prisonerjd3.jpg
How can there be peace between the cow people and our people when they stole our Drum of Magic and will not return it?
You did steal the Spear...
prisonerjd3.jpg
My people did not steal the cow people's spear as the stupid Simbani seem to think. It was their thief who took our Drum of Magic that left it behind for us to find.
The Simbain thief died from wounds inflicted by leopard's claws, but if Johari is to be trusted, he left the Leopardmen village unnoticed. Weird.
prisonerjd3.jpg
You sure do like to talk. I will go now, so don't bother trying to follow me. I can hear and see you in the jungle, but you will not hear or see me unless I let you.
I guess there is only one way to get her to take me to her village...

qfgwow23vk8.jpg

You walk around the Chief's hut, carefully looking for details.
crackjc4.jpg

Let's make an alternative entrance with a dagger.
You dig a hole in the wall large enough for you to enter the hut.

qfgwow28sa9.jpg

The Laibon is asleep and we can safely take what we came for.
You try to stealthily pick up the Drum of Magic.
My 1337 sneaking skills don't fail me. Now, see the chest to the right? Let's burglarize the fucker for not listening to the words of cosmic harmony and peace.
The lock opens, but you hear a slight squeak.
Squeaks are bad.
You oil the chest's hinges. That should take care of the squeaking. You quietly open the chest. Inside you find a fine dagger, 700 commons and 60 royals. You place them in your pack.

Back to the jungle.

qfgwow35to6.jpg

You hear something nearby.
You call out a greeting.
prisonerjd3.jpg
So, you are again calling out to all the monsters in the jungle; "Here I am, come and get me!" with your noise.
qfgwow38nq5.jpg

prisonerjd3.jpg
You still trying to get eaten or are you looking for my village? You need someone like that cow man Yesufu to protect you in this jungle. Yesufu is the strong cow man who kept saying he wanted me for a wife. He looked almost smart for a Simbani. Shame you bought me for a bride first. He would not just watch quietly while I run away as if he didn't care. I decide to forgive you for insulting me. You are probably too dumb to know you were doing it, anyway.
Gee, thanks.
You tell what happened to the peace mission from Tarna.
prisonerjd3.jpg
I know that my people had nothing to do with such an ambush. We did not even know about the mission. Why are we blamed for everything?
You tell about what will happen if there is war between the Simbani and the Leopardmen.
prisonerjd3.jpg
So the cow people are mad at us for a spear we did not steal and the Liontaurs are mad at us for a peace mission we did not attack. I do not know what is going on, but you are right. A war will be very bad.
You tell Johari that you have the Drum of Magic.
prisonerjd3.jpg
Good. If we give it to my father, he will stop talking so much of war. Maybe he will talk about peace with the cow people. Let's go!

qfgwow53bn7.jpg

prisonerjd3.jpg
You are one strange man, you know. Why you want peace for my people, but don't even know my people, I don't understand. Still, I think I trust you. The people of magic, my people, do not trust outsiders. They will be very mad that I bring you there. My father will be furious. You will have to prove yourself before the people of magic will listen to you. A strong show of big magic or the gift of the Drum of Magic will make them listen. Still, you are lucky if they do not kill you on sight. They may yet. They will kill that Yesufu fellow for sure. They know he's an enemy. If Yesufu had hair and skin like you, my people would not kill him right off. First they laugh very hard when they see him. Maybe they will kill you, too. I will try to save you. You need to be very quiet, talk all the time. You do not want my people to see you before I talk about you, or you will be one dead man.

qfgwow57uq6.jpg

prisonerjd3.jpg
You can see my village from here. It will be dark soon, and we can watch my people do the Change ritual. No outsider is allowed to see it and live, so do not tell anyone what you will see here. You say you are good at sneaking in and out of places. You better be very good if you think you can get the Spear of Death from my village.
You start to talk to Johari about romance.
prisonerjd3.jpg
All you can do is talk about it?
qfgwow61po6.jpg

Back in the dark and barbaric age this game hails from, the ever-vigilant ESRB didn't exist, and so this monstrocity was released on unsuspecting world and undoubtedly managed to corrupt and twist plenty of souls of the young.

Several hours later...

qfgwow62kc0.jpg

prisonerjd3.jpg
Over here we will be out of sight and can watch what goes on in the ritual.

OK, guys, sorry for the fuck-up, but for some reason the video of the ritual got corrupted, and I have already rewritten all the saves made prior to this point. All I have are these two screenshots:
qfgwow66fg2.jpg

qfgwow67xr3.jpg

More reasons for you to play the game. :D Still, the ritual isn't important to the plot, so don't get too upset.

qfgwow71wi6.jpg

prisonerjd3.jpg
Climb up here. This is the spot nearest to my father's hut. You can see Chui, our pet black leopard, wandering down there. He is trained to eat strangers and he is always very hungry. You need to be very careful or he will attack you.
Time to use the magical grapnels the Sultan gave us.
qfgwow72xh0.jpg

OK, so we will be walking the rope while the leopard will be trying to eat us. It's much easier than it sounds: all you need to do is to duck when the kitty gets adventerous. Like this:
qfgwow74yg3.jpg

qfgwow77ll0.jpg

We won't be staying here for too long. Here's what we're going to do:
1. Release the monkey.
You open the cage and let the monkey go.
2. Get the Spear.
You carefully retrieve the Spear of Death.

3. Rob the Leopardmen leader blind.
You hear a click as your pick tricks the lock, and a slight squeak of the hinges of the chest. You put oil on the hinges of the chest. You find some strange-looking, glowing skulls, a necklace made from claws covered with a slimy, green goo, and a throwing dagger. There are also eight royals strung onto a necklace. You take the dagger and the royals.

qfgwow85hq2.jpg

prisonerjd3.jpg
Hurry up! The guards will see you at any minute!

You camp out for the rest of the night and next day. Then Johari takes you back to the village.

qfgwow92om4.jpg

daddygg9.jpg
Johari, why have you brought this outsider to our village?
prisonerjd3.jpg
This outsider is a very important person. He has important things to say.
shamancd4.jpg
You have no right to bring this outsider to our village! Outsiders are our enemies and he should be destroyed!
prisonerjd3.jpg
He is not our enemy. You must listen to him. Okay, hero man, you show my father why I brought you here.
qfgwow93do1.jpg

You greet the Leopardman leader.
daddygg9.jpg
Why have you come to our village, outsider?
You tell him about the horrors of war, and how you seek to bring peace to this land.
daddygg9.jpg
How do you think you can bring peace to our people?
You tell the Leopardman leader about the Drum of Magic.

qfgwow98tb3.jpg

daddygg9.jpg
Behold! The Drum of Magic!

You journey back to the Simbani village.

qfgwow102os1.jpg

laibonba2.jpg
A stranger once came to the Simbani. This strange spoke of peace. There can be no peace, said the Simbani. The stranger came back to the Simbani village. He spoke of peace again. There can be no peace while there is an enemy, said the Simbani. The stranger went to the enemy. The stranger came back to the Simbani. Come forward, stranger. Show us the symbol of your peace!
qfgwow107ox0.jpg

laibonba2.jpg
Behold, the Smbani Spear of Death! Behold, the stranger has brought the Simbani the promise of peace! Now the Simbani can speak again in Tarna. Now the Simbani can speak again the words of peace!

You travel with Rakeesh back to Tarna by way of the magic portal. The next few days are spent arranging a peace conference between the Simbani and the Leopardmen in the Hall of Judgement. At last, the day of the peace conference arrives.

qfgwow129zs7.jpg

You have been watching the conference for some time as they introduce everyone. It has been rather boring.
consular1vv5.jpg
The Council of Judgement of the land of Tarna now calls forth the Laibon of the Simbani to speak before us.
laibonba2.jpg
I, Laibon of the Simbani, am speaking before you as leader of my people. The Simbani and the Leopardmen have always been enemies. The Leopardmen steal our cattle by night. They use magic against our Warriors. They are sneaky and not to be trusted. The Leopardmen stole from the Simbani the symbol of Simbani power, the Spear of Death!
rakeeshcb2.jpg
Something is not right here. I feel that something terrible is about to happen.
qfgwow119th1.jpg

qfgwow130at9.jpg

qfgwow120pf0.jpg

qfgwow121lu0.jpg

rakeeshcb2.jpg
My friend, cannot you see the sign of the Demon leaving the body of the Leopardman leader?
consular1vv5.jpg
King Rajah is furious at these actions! This is terrible!
rakeeshcb2.jpg
My friend, you must leave Tarna immediately before Rajah declares a state of war and the gates of Tarna are shut. Seek out the Demons in the Lost City and I will join you if I can. Go quickly!
qfgwow125od0.jpg

You quickly leave Tarna before things get even worse.

Check this thread some other day for the cinematic showdown in the Lost City.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Time to end the 3rd chapter of your favorite thread! Sorry for almost month-long silence, but all sorts of shit have been happening lately in my life, and I simply didn't have any time to write a long post.

qfgwow133gg2.jpg

On my way to the Lost City I unexpectedly encounter an old friend.
manudayvx8.jpg
Man-friend! Manu very happy to see man-friend. Man-friend like monkey village. Man-friend very happy in monkey village. Man-friend go monkey village with Manu? Monkey Village good place. Man-friend, come see monkey village. Man-friend like good monkey village. Man-friend very happy in monkey village. Manu very happy with Man-friend.
You agree to go to the monkey village.
manudayvx8.jpg
Manu very happy. Man-friend like monkey-village very much. Manu and man-friend go!

qfgwow139fq4.jpg

manudayvx8.jpg
Man-friend like village. Good village. Just like man's village. Hurry, hurry. Man-friend see. Good village. Monkey folk live here alla time. Big village.

qfgwow142xe2.jpg

manudayvx8.jpg
You like. You see. You stay. Be happy monkey. Manu teach you. You be monkey man. You be hero of monkeys.

qfgwow147ta4.jpg

manudayvx8.jpg
See. There village. Big village. Very good, you no think?

qfgwow150lu8.jpg

manudayvx8.jpg
You near center of village now. Come up, come up. You see.

qfgwow152ns5.jpg

FACT: This is one of the two uses for Climbing in this game. The lack of practice is gonna bite my ass a little in Shadows of Darkness.

qfgwow153uy5.jpg

OK, Manu-friend, what do you know about the Lost City and how can I reach it?
manudayvx8.jpg
City not lost. City very far away. City have lions with mans body. City in small plants with no trees. You no lose city. You find monkey village. Village now home for man-friend. Bad city very bad. Long time monkeys work in bad city. Monkeys pick food for bad city. Monkeys not get to eat food. Monkeys run away. Monkeys cross big rockwater that falls down. Now monkeys very safe from bad city with very bad things. Big rockwater that falls down long time from here. Monkeys know the way. Monkeys know secret monkey pass cross big rockwater that falls down. Monkeys very smart.
You tell Manu you need to go to the bad city.
manudayvx8.jpg
No go. No go bad city. Bad city very bad for man-friend. Many very bad things there. Eat man-friend.
You try to convince Manu to take you to the Lost City.
manudayvx8.jpg
Bad place. Many very bad things. Manu not go bad city. Man-friend not go bad place.
You try to persuade Manu to guide you to the Lost City.
manudayvx8.jpg
No go! No talk Manu to go bad place. Manu not hear man-friend talk bad place. Manu not see bad place. Manu not go bad place.
In the end the little fellow breaks and agrees to guide you.

qfgwow166em2.jpg

manudayvx8.jpg
Bad place, Lost City. Maybe we go back to monkey village, maybe no? You see very bad place, then we go home? Monkeys not forget very bad place. You see. Then we go home. Place of big water. Monkeys remember place to cross. Many bad things on other side. Go home now.

qfgwow171gx7.jpg

manudayvx8.jpg
Alla monkeys across. You cross. You very big. You no jump good. How man-friend cross big rock waters that fall down?
Easily.
qfgwow177gl8.jpg

qfgwow178oh5.jpg

You recover the rope and magical grapnel and put them away in case you need to use them again.

qfgwow181ck9.jpg

manudayvx8.jpg
Very bad place. No good. Manu not happy. Long time, men lived in Lost City. Now only bad things. Monkeys remember. We see bad things, we run away, yes? Go home.

qfgwow185iy3.jpg

manudayvx8.jpg
Bad city there. We go now. Back to good monkey village. Safe. We go now?
You shake your head no.
manudayvx8.jpg
Bad place. Bad things. You not get in bad city. You not find secret door only monkey knows. Manu not tell secret. Manu not let bad things get man-friend. We go now.
Pretty please?
manudayvx8.jpg
Many long time agos, monkeys live here. Monkeys remember. Monkeys know all about bad city. Monkeys know about secret door into city. Monkeys know where secret door hides. Look for man with jackal head. Put eye that glows in head, and door opens. Manu not happy. Manu very sad. Man-friend go to bad city, be eaten. Manu not see man-friend again. Manu cry.
You try to tell Manu about honor, and why you have to go to the bad city.
manudayvx8.jpg
Manu know honor. Manu have much honor. Manu not happy. Honor get man-friend dead.
You say good-bye to Manu.
manudayvx8.jpg
Manu very sad. Not say good-bye to man-friend. Manu not want man-friend to go. Manu not go bad place. Bad things eat little Manu. Manu very sad. Manu want man-friend come back to monkey village. Manu not want to say good-bye to man-friend.

qfgwow198xx4.jpg

After the apeman patrol goes away, I sneak upon the secret door.
qfgwow200zf5.jpg

The gem one of those winged creatures gave me fits perfectly.

qfgwow203ti8.jpg

demonwm9.jpg
Dis gets real boring, ya know dat, Frak?
Frak seems to nod his head.
demonwm9.jpg
All we ever get to do is guard de door. Big deal. No body can get to dis door for us to beat up. Boring.
Frak nods again.
demonwm9.jpg
All de other guys get to beat de apes but us. We gotta guard de door. We never get no fun. It sucks.
Frak's head nods in agreement.
demonwm9.jpg
All I want is someten to beat up a bit and bite de head off. Is that too much ta ask for, I ask ya?
Frak keeps nodding. He must be the strong, silent type. Then again, he might just be the very stupid type.
Best watchmen ever. They don't even have the door they are supposed to guard in their line of sight. :sigh:
You carefully lubricate the door hinges with some oil (just as it said to do in the last issue of the "Lockpicker's Log").
You deftly pick the lock.
demonwm9.jpg
Boring. Boring. Boring. Dis job is da pits. Da prisoner never tries ta escape since da last time I beat it up, and nobody gets past da guards below ta get ta us. I tell ya, it's boring.
Frak nods sadly in agreement.

qfgwow218zp6.jpg

reeshakasm8.jpg
You... you're not a Demon. Who are you? How did you get in here?
You tell the Liontaur what you are doing here.
reeshakasm8.jpg
My name is Reeshaka Dar Kreesha. I am a Warrior of Tarna. You must be a powerful Warrior yourself to have made it here. The Demons enter this world through a Gate at the top of this tower. If we can destroy the World Gate, we can defeat the Demons.
But suddenly...
qfgwow223uy4.jpg

demon2uh0.jpg
Greetings, human. My master sends his regrets, but he is too busy to speak with you right now. I have taken over the body of this creature. All harm done to me will harm her, and she is the daughter of my master's enemy, Rakeesh. Now I shall destroy you, and you shall destroy her. I shall win both ways.
Not with me still having two flasks of Dispel Potion, you won't.
qfgwow228ba2.jpg

Good ol' Dispel Potion. You can't have enough of it in Quest for Glory games. Unfortunately, Reeshaka doesn't seem to be doing well. Whoops, what am I gonna say to her daddy? And how can I reach the top of the tower from here?
qfgwow229yu6.jpg

Uhura?
qfgwow230pk4.jpg

Johari?
qfgwow231cg4.jpg

Yesufu? Ah, screw this, I won't act surprised no matter who else is going to show up.
qfgwow232cg0.jpg

Harami? OK, I take my words back, I am surprised.
qfgwow233ko8.jpg

Uh-oh.
rakeeshcb2.jpg
Reeshaka!
Look... Rakeesh, old pal. Reeshaka... I can explain it...
qfgwow235gm6.jpg

rakeeshcb2.jpg
By the power within and without, may you be healed!
Oh, right, you are a paladin.
rakeeshcb2.jpg
Kreesha opened a portal as soon as she could locate my friend here. We came as soon as we could. Your friends, young Prince of Shapeir, did not want you to face the danger alone.
haramidj6.jpg
Hey, don't look at me. I'm no hero. I just came 'cause I didn't want to stay in Tarna. I ain't fighting no Demons.
rakeeshcb2.jpg
The prophesy I had from the temple of Sekhmet said that five from very different lives will stand beside each other to face the darkness. Reeshaka, will you fight at the side of the Prince of Shapeir?
reeshakasm8.jpg
Of course, Rakeesh my father.
rakeeshcb2.jpg
I am sorry, my friend, for if Harami does not stand by your side, I fear that the prophesy cannot be fulfilled.
haramidj6.jpg
No way. No way I face a Demon.
rakeeshcb2.jpg
Then I guess, my friend, you will need to face the Demons with only four different friends. Uhura and I must stay here to stand off the Demons that are trying to follow you.
qfgwow245kr1.jpg

manudayvx8.jpg
Manu here. Manu come. Help man-friend. Not let bad things get man-friend.
rakeeshcb2.jpg
The prophesy is fulfilled, for four different friends now follow where the hero leads.
haramidj6.jpg
A monkey? That's supposed to fight Demons? Give me a break. How is a monkey supposed to help?
manudayvx8.jpg
Manu very brave. Manu fight bad things. Manu help man-friend.
rakeeshcb2.jpg
Harami, never reject the offer of friendship and help. Manu has great courage and loyalty, and with that he will aid our friend well. The way you must all go lies through that blocked door. I sense powerful Demonic magic behind there, so be careful. By the power within and without, that door shall open! Go quickly! The Demons are trying to get in here. Uhura and I will fight them off!
uhuraid5.jpg
Kwa heri, my friend. Kwa herini, all of you.
rakeeshcb2.jpg
Good luck. Hurry!
qfgwow256ja0.jpg

qfgwow259jl1.jpg

You find yourself drawn to the mirror at the opposite end of the room.
qfgwow260zg0.jpg

qfgwow262ag6.jpg

Motherfucking dopplegangers attack!
qfgwow264sy7.jpg

An epic fight ensues. The opponent I'm facing seems to be way more powerful than my not-so-tough thief and things start to look a bit more grim than I would like them to be, however...
qfgwow267ow6.jpg

Harami changes his mind and saves my feeble ass!
haramidj6.jpg
I'll fight this monster. You gotta run! These things can't be really defeated until you take out the Demon Wizard. So make like a hero and save the day! Now take these pills I borrowed and scram!
As you run up the weird spiral staircase, you take the healing and mana pills Harami handed you.

qfgwow273he8.jpg

:twisted: Our plan worked, Lord! Even now, our enemy Rakeesh is in disgrace and the Liontaur Warriors march out from Tarna. The Simbani idiots and the Leopardmen fools will all avenge their murdered leaders. And they will all blame Rakeesh and each other, not dreaming it is our doing! My armies of Demons and Apemen stand ready and waiting to attack the warring Liontaurs, Simbani and Leopardmen when they are at their weakest. With the magic released from the deaths of so many beings, I can open the gate once more, and allow you to enter this world, my Lord.
:evil: Hurry. I grow impatient to again taste the power of killing things.
:twisted: The Orb is still weak from the amount of energy it took to posses the Leopardman chief before the peace conference. It took great skill to kill the Simbani Laibon without anyone realizing the Leopardman chief was possessed.
:evil: Fool! Restore the Orb's power immediately!
:twisted: Yes, my Lord! I will start the ritual right away.
Jesus, the conference ended more than a day ago. What have you been doing all this time? OK, so throwing the Orb into the portal should destroy it, or so Kreesha said. The problem is that the damned thing is too far and I need to get closer.
qfgwow281xm0.jpg

qfgwow282ht0.jpg

qfgwow283fg5.jpg

:evil: Look above you, fool! That meddling human is going right over your head.
:twisted: So, you have escaped from my trap. Perhaps destroying you will be more interesting than I thought.
80633634wu9.jpg

57509825if0.jpg

:twisted: Ha! You think you are above my wrath? Let us see how high you can walk without that rope!
qfgwow287xq8.jpg

21901138fx6.jpg

qfgwow288lp4.jpg

Man, learning acrobatics are the best 50 Royals I've ever spent.
:twisted: Now I have you! Prepare to die, worm!
43837771cv6.jpg

Stop it, will you? The pillar is made out of fucking stone, it doesn't burn, you brainiac! Say, I have a nice idea...
24325906fh1.jpg

Your last remaining grapnel finds its mark. The Demon Wizard emits an unearthly wail as the magical grapnel imbeds itself deeply into the creature's inhuman flesh.
89241565we3.jpg

qfgwow293yp4.jpg

qfgwow294vi7.jpg

You run for the stairs to return to your friends.

qfgwow297wp4.jpg

manudayvx8.jpg
Man-friend! Man-friend! Happy, happy, you come back! Man-friend come back!
rakeeshcb2.jpg
Welcome back, my friend.
uhuraid5.jpg
Habari, hero.
haramidj6.jpg
You made it, huh?
rakeeshcb2.jpg
The Demons were drawn back into their own world when you closed off the World Gate. This land, and all its people, are safe, thanks to you.
uhuraid5.jpg
Mzuri, friend. I not be knowing how much longer Rakeesh and I hold off the Demons. A good fight, much better when over.
yesufucn2.jpg
You are a good man to be fighting at my side, friend.
prisonerjd3.jpg
Now my people and the cow people will have peace because of you, hero. I'll name Yesufu's son for you.
What?
yesufucn2.jpg
What?
prisonerjd3.jpg
You said you wanted to marry me. I accept.
Aren't we kinda married already?
reeshakasm8.jpg
It is an honor to meet and serve you, friend.
manudayvx8.jpg
Man-friend very brave.
haramidj6.jpg

Yeah, yeah, don't thank me. But wait... What the hell is happening to me?!
qfgwow312wu0.jpg

rakeeshcb2.jpg
This is dark magic!
Great use of Detect Evil, friend. Now do something about it!
rakeeshcb2.jpg
Jack Bauer MKII!

21043102ro0.jpg

qfgwow315lx3.jpg

And this is it. You thought Dreamfall ended with a lame cliff-hanger? The ending in Quest for Glory 3 is way more dickish, in my opinion.

qfgwow316qi1.jpg

My char's stats. Not very impressive, low Pick Locks skills in particular is going to hurt. Hmmm, how should I end this update? Oh yeah, I know...

To be continued in Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Yay, it lives! Thanks for the heads-up. I always winded up playing a paladin from part 2 on so it's really refreshing to see someone stays true to his character class for once.

Binary

Liturgist
Lestat said:
Harami changes his mind and saves my feeble ass!
haramidj6.jpg
I'll fight this monster. You gotta run! These things can't be really defeated until you take out the Demon Wizard. So make like a hero and save the day! Now take these pills I borrowed and scram!

Lori Ann and Corey Cole sure as hell knew how to make endgames. This is brilliant.

I believe also in QfG3 there are alternate ways of finishing with Ad Avis? You took the "thief" approach, which is the one I remembered, but there are more.

QfG3 is imho the weakest of the series after QfG5, but it's nevertheless excellent. Onwards to QfG4, my favorite. :D

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Cool, I was starting to fear this LP was lost. Cheers, Lestat.

Lestat said:

Ok, what the hell is this thing? I'm having a hard time seeing a shape in...this.

Also, I LOL'd when Rakeesh went "Jack Bauer mk II!!!!"

Also, I kinda LOL'd when your wife suddenly decided to marry another guy. Sorry, but it was funny.

Also, I don't get what you did at the end there. You threw the grapnel into the guy's flesh (ouch) and used him to tilt the orb into the portal or summat? Since the orb destroys the portal, why is it right in front of it?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Brother None said:
Lestat said:

Ok, what the hell is this thing? I'm having a hard time seeing a shape in...this.
A demon, duh.

Also, I don't get what you did at the end there. You threw the grapnel into the guy's flesh (ouch) and used him to tilt the orb into the portal or summat? Since the orb destroys the portal, why is it right in front of it?
It isn't clear on the screenies, but after the wizard's master disappears the portal starts working backwards for some reason and sucks in all small objects nearby. If you try to move the orb by throwing a dagger or casting a spell a pop-up will appear saying that the Demon Wizard is protecting it with his magic and it won't move as long as he's alive. The reason I threw a grapnel is the wizard's protection that can't be pierced with ordinary daggers. As for what the orb is doing so fucking close to the Gate... I don't know. Evil wizards may be intelligent enough to bend eldritch powers to their will, but with all their might they are helpless against the laws of narrative. The idiot didn't even start recharging the orb until the hero showed up.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
We are back in business! It is finally the time to play Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness, the single best game developed by Sierra way back when this name meant something other than "Vivendi's bitch". Fun trivia: SoD was originally supposed to be the third game in the series. Later on, it was decided that the hero was not just strong enough to brave the perils of Mordavia after his victory over Ad Avis at the end of Trial by Fire, and thus Wages of War were born. The introduction of another game broke all the structure of the series, each installment of which was supposed to correspond to one of the four seasons, to one of the four cardinal directions and to one of the four elements. Things one can learn at Wikipedia, eh?

sod1vc7.jpg

Moody.

sod2tx2.jpg

Once again, the save from the previous game felt victim to an unexpected HDD formatting. But look at the bright side, my lockpicking skills aren't down the shitter anymore.

sod3jm8.jpg

SoD is one of the first games to feature full voice-overs, even the narrator's lines are voiced, and by John Rhys-Davies to boot.
jrdal4.jpg
You awaken from nightmares of flying and falling. You find yourself in this strange place, the only illumination an eerie green glow. You've lost your weapons and the contents of your backpack somewhere during the journey. All you have are the clothes and armor on your back. This leaves you with four burning questions: Where are you? How did you get here? Who brought you here? And how in blazes can you get out of here? No, make that five burning questions: What city did your luggage end up this time?

sod8hq9.jpg

Empty pockets is the first enemy we're going to face. Hopefully, searching the skeletons this cave is full of will yield something useful.
jrdal4.jpg
You search the dessicated body. The only still-usable item is a dagger, which you pick up. However, lying around the bones are some coins - 5 golden coins each have a crown stamped onto them, and 13 small copper ones are each stamped "1 Kopek".
Two bodies left to loot.
jrdal4.jpg
A brief search reveals a piece of hard, grey rock, which you take, and some coins - 3 Crowns and 13 Kopeks.
Almost there.
jrdal4.jpg
You find 30 assorted copper and gold coins on the body.
Now we should try to produce some light. There are two torches near the creepy looking altar to the right.

sod13ib1.jpg

jrdal4.jpg
You strike sparks off the flint using your dagger. The torch soon begins to burn, almost as if by magic. You take the torch.
Time to get out of here.

sod16ma1.jpg

jrdal4.jpg
You force the sphincter open with your dagger, and pass through.
Uh, John, did you just say "sphincter"? My desire to leave this place increased tenfold.

sod18sg6.jpg

jrdal4.jpg
You've made it into a large chamber. Stone valves like the one you just passed through apparently block three other passageways. There is a huge stone altar in the center of the room and an exit to the south.
Exit? I like this word, it's a very good word.

sod20ya4.jpg

And so to the south I go.

sod21co2.jpg

Looks like this rope is the only way to get to the other side.
jrdal4.jpg
You cautiously test the rope before crossing. It feels as though it is firmly anchored on both ends of the chasm.
OK, here goes nothing.

sod23hh9.jpg

Surprise buttseks!

sod25nt6.jpg

jrdal4.jpg
You just barely made it across the pit.
Phew, makes me glad I'm not a sailor uniform wearing Japanese schoolgirl. By the way, hentai tentacle monsters aren't the only dwellers of this cave. Bugs also live here in huge numbers. The speed at which your character's Stamina drains when you're walking the rope depends directly on your CPU. I'm using an unofficial patch that solves most of the timer-related issues, but several nasty cockroaches are still present in the game. Nothing fatal though.

sod26cf5.jpg

sod27cb3.jpg

jrdal4.jpg
You slip through the mouth of the cave just in time to avoid being crushed by its closing "jaws". Whew!
John, could you stop using anatomical terms when talking about the cave? It's unnerving.

sod29uq3.jpg

sod30rt6.jpg

katrinaum3.jpg
You're alive! Only one person has ever walked away from there before. Who are you? How did you get here? There are so many questions I want to ask you, but I have to get home quickly. It's so dangerous out at night in Mordavia. The town is due north of here. Be careful, there are many bad things wandering around. Good luck! Oh, by the way, my name is Katrina. I hope we meet again sometime. Farewell.

sod36er1.jpg

Without letting the hero to say a single word, she walks away.

Who is she? What was she doing here? Why didn't she ask the hero to escort her home if it's dangerous? Is she romancable? All of these questions will be answered in the next update. Or not. You'll have to read it if you want to know.

BONUS!
To give you the basic understanding of the setting and make this update look a little longer than it really is, let me copypaste one chapter of the manual here:
Mordavian Nights by October Derleth

Have you been nervous lately? Having trouble sleeping because of strange, skittering noises in the walls and voices gibbering unpronounceable words in the middle of the night? Self-conscious because people seem to be staring suspiciously at you everywhere you go? Feel like you need a nice, long stay in a clean, well-padded room, or at least a vacation? Well, then, don't go to Mordavia.

Mordavia is a small valley nestled amidst the Malignant Mountains to the south, the Carpathologic Mountains to the west, the Aphotic Alps to the north, and the Heinous Hills to the east. There is but one pathway to this valley and as it is currently cut off by a mephitic and quagmire-filled swamp, entrance to Mordavia is rather difficult. This isolation, though, creates an atmosphere of fear and mistrust that will add immensely to the emotional state you will experience here.

From the abandoned Castle Borgov, whose last inhabitant disappeared under, shall we say, mysterious and suspicious circumstances, to the malevolent Monastery of the Mad Monk, to the uncanny and horrific Mouth of the Dark One, Mordavia has everything to put that spine-tingling chill in your blood and the delirium of incipient madness into your mind.

The town of Mordavia, too, has much to offer. You will be most welcomed at the Hotel Mordavia. Such a lovely place. The garlic hanging from the eaves gives this inn a festive appearance, as if every day were Hallowe'en. You'll meet the colorful natives, who will greet you with such apprehensive stares and furtive glances that they will soon have you feeling right at home among them. Be sure to visit the local Mad Scientist. You're sure to have an electrifying and illuminating experience there.

On the sightseeing tour, there is nothing quite like seeing the cemetery by moonlight. You never know whom you might run into there, after all. If you are very fortunate, you may catch a glimpse of various inhabitants rising from their graves to greet the darkness. Do not attempt to feed the Undead, for they rapidly develop a taste for human flesh, and that does wreak havoc upon the Tourist Trade.

All in all, you won't find a more interesting or exciting vacation paradise than the Land of Mordavia. Be thankful for small favors.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Awesome LP, great to read during a slow day at work.

It makes me want to play the whole series, expect I know it would suck up all my free time for next week.

Vibalist

Arcane
This is pretty cool. Thank you for doing this, and please keep them coming! This is definitely one of the best LP-threads I've read.

Also, iis there any chance you'll be going through Dragon Fire too? I have very fond memories of that game, as it was my first QFG.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I never liked QfG 4; it was full of bugs. :(
[Well... like most Sierra games, anyway. QfG 3 also loved to crash during the spear-throwing at the initiation]

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Pussycat669 said:
Please change the font color to something readable.
Anyone else has the problem with it? I think it's fine.
Vibalist said:
Also, iis there any chance you'll be going through Dragon Fire too? I have very fond memories of that game, as it was my first QFG.
I would prefer to stay away from DF as far as possible, but if there is demand for it, I'll do it.
Jasede said:
I never liked QfG 4; it was full of bugs.
Apply this. Now you're free to love this game.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I hope you'll go through Dragon Fire just to show the folks how the series ends, but I'll understand completely if you'd rather skip it.

Dragon Fire was a mess to play.

Vibalist

Arcane
I would prefer to stay away from DF as far as possible, but if there is demand for it, I'll do it.

What exactly is it that makes this game so terrible? Not that I don't respect your opinion, but I have a hard time seeing it. I remember enjoying it a lot (though it's been a couple of years since I played it, so I may change my mind if I play it again).

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
It's not terrible, just mediocre. Boring and easy puzzles, lots of unavoidable combat. To make matters even worse, the combat system consists purely of button-mashing. It's Mask of Eternity of the franchise, an abomination that was born purely because Sierra's new overlords firmly believed that classic adventure games were outdated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom