Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play UFO: Enemy Unknown - Update #25: It's on!

dragonfk

Erudite
Tails said:
dragonfk said:
I am still alive! Rejoice! I must say that I already bonded with that version of myself. So I am very worried about lack of any alien killed by me. Also don't send me to unto heavy fire, please, pretty pretty please..
For now you killed 4 aliens in 3 missions, one more then Silellak.

Ha! Take that Siellak! You're a greenhorn in comparison to me :cool: .

Silellak

Cipher
dragonfk said:
Tails said:
dragonfk said:
I am still alive! Rejoice! I must say that I already bonded with that version of myself. So I am very worried about lack of any alien killed by me. Also don't send me to unto heavy fire, please, pretty pretty please..
For now you killed 4 aliens in 3 missions, one more then Silellak.

Ha! Take that Siellak! You're a greenhorn in comparison to me :cool: .
:rage:

lightbane

Arcane
Mmm, you're either too good, or the aliens are playing with you, you try to fight 14 enemies in TFTD and well... let's say that you will need a spoon to pick up the team's remains.
:D :D

TNO

Augur
First turn was a little bit silly, as you said. Still, nice work as the first TM is pretty much a must win.

Shame I died (and it isn't PS:T either...), but I did nail a few.

But yeah, sectoids for first Terror mission would have been a world of pain. The psi isn't usually that bad, but the cyberdisks can reaction fire dozens of times with pretty insta death weapons. Reapers, in comparison are the second worst terror unit in the game.

Good luck. In vanilla XCOM, nailing the first terror mission means you get a buffer of the funding council pulling the plug - in other words, you can afford to avoid all terror missions for the next months or two. In this time, you can get Hyperwave and plasma beams. This that you can shoot down terror ships with impunity without risking the points rape of a city terror mission.

However, your mods seem to have nerfed your research speed. Could be a good scrap.

sheek

Arbiter
Only weaklings skip Terror Missions. Why play X-Com if you're going to avoid the best thing about it?

In TFTD maybe occasionally you have an excuse (ie multi-level Lobsterman cruise ship missions).

What kind of pussy terror mission was that? I was expecting sectoids to MC BUMFACE, force him to shoot a rocket inside the skyranger, whereupon only 1 soldier survives by using the other soldiers to absorb the blast. That last man alive would then heroically kill every alien but one before he bled to death.

Good progress btw. Looks like you were lucky that you got to the mission before it became night time.

Big Nose George

Educated
There is a message in there somewhere...

xmchl6h9.jpg

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
I was killed by a floater? I'm embarrassed now.

If you get another batch of soldiers, I'm willing to try and earn more glory.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes, let the aliens horribly kill me too, should you need more recruits. I'm bound to suck, but p'raps I can suck up some alien fire as well, keeping more valuable teammembers safe for just 1 more round..

dragonfk

Erudite
Heard what Azira said? I have a petition that you would use her as a shield for me. Thank you both for your cooperation :cool: .

Marsal

Arcane
That's really good Big Nose George! I remember your illustrations for Blood Bowl LP. Those were great too. Do you have a showcase website or something similar?

Big Nose George

Educated
Marsal said:
That's really good Big Nose George! I remember your illustrations for Blood Bowl LP. Those were great too. Do you have a showcase website or something similar?

Well, actually its fucking ugly now that I see it a day later but hell, it was done in less than 20 min. Blood Bowl pics werent mine. I dont show anything I do. Its just for relaxation, a hobby so to say.

Tails

Arbiter
TNO said:
But yeah, sectoids for first Terror mission would have been a world of pain. The psi isn't usually that bad, but the cyberdisks can reaction fire dozens of times with pretty insta death weapons. Reapers, in comparison are the second worst terror unit in the game.

Overweight Manatee said:
What kind of pussy terror mission was that? I was expecting sectoids to MC BUMFACE, force him to shoot a rocket inside the skyranger, whereupon only 1 soldier survives by using the other soldiers to absorb the blast. That last man alive would then heroically kill every alien but one before he bled to death.
:lol: this remind me one Terror Mission I had long time ago. I had six troops armed with Laser weapons, Power Armours and two tanks (missile/laser). When first tank leaved Skyranger-1, it was taken down by cyberdisc with one shot. Same with another one. Since I couldn't throw smoke grenade from Skyranger I send two soldiers and one of them was taken down also. Overall, Cyberdisc (there was about 4 of them) at the end all civilians were killed and only one, wounded trooper survived. This was probably my biggest failure ever.

TNO said:
However, your mods seem to have nerfed your research speed. Could be a good scrap.
Indeed, after finishing research of laser pistols, I took Alien Alloys and really, to the time of Terror Mission we get probably zero progress. For now I will research X-Com tech until I get Alien Containment. Would be a bit ironic if we didn't manage to knock down aliens with guns any more.

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
How many have I gotten now
Two, thought I was sure you taken down three on that Terror mission.

Big Nose George said:
Well, actually its fucking ugly now that I see it a day later but hell, it was done in less than 20 min. Blood Bowl pics werent mine. I dont show anything I do. Its just for relaxation, a hobby so to say.
Nice art George, pretty funny :) we should have that babe on the Skyranger. Keep it up!

Also, update will be posted in a while.

Tails

Arbiter
Notepad++ wins. Here we have our new recruits:
dosbox2010-01-2020-53-13-01.jpg

dosbox2010-01-2020-53-15-92.jpg

dosbox2010-01-2020-53-18-42.jpg

Fair stats I guess, don't let me down soldiers!

dosbox2010-01-2021-08-58-06.jpg

Since Terror attack was stopped by brave Codexia soldiers, we got so far no UFO activity. Production of Large Radar System was finished and few days later we get extra Laboratory.

dosbox2010-01-2116-11-44-79.jpg

dosbox2010-01-2116-10-18-28.jpg

Scientist completed research of Laser Rifle. We go straight for the Heavy Laser, so we could get laser tank, defences and Cannon of Interceptors. As you can see on the screenshot, I tried to research Alien Alloys, straight after Laser pistol. It was a bit pointless try, since delay is really Shepard EXTREME.

dosbox2010-01-2116-11-31-59.jpg

dosbox2010-01-2116-39-58-96.jpg

Moth summary: Excellent :smug: thought the funding didn't increase as much I hoped. Most of the cash I wasted on Scientists, tank and other, minor stuff you won't give a shit.

dosbox2010-01-2116-19-47-42.jpg

Aliens won't give us even a day of brake, on 1st February they already scavenge earth. Duty awaits!

dosbox2010-01-2116-26-16-37.jpg

Farmland and a sunny day. This time we won't have tank to scout area & shield our soldiers. Who will be our enemy this time?

dosbox2010-01-2117-41-59-90.jpg

Ashery jumps out from the Skyranger-1 and spot Sectoid. Snap shot and bah! it's gone.

dosbox2010-01-2117-43-16-84.jpg

Black_Willow (that became Sergeant :salute: ) spots Sectoid inside the barn and shots him once. In furry, Sectoid answers with auto shot but luckily Black_Willow is unhurt. During retreating he spots sheek...

dosbox2010-01-2117-44-07-40.jpg

...but Silellak takes him down with two shots. Admirable!

dosbox2010-01-2117-46-22-28.jpg

BUMFACE blasts off his Rocket Launcher into the barn wall. It didn't help out to take down Sectoid inside, but fresh Rookie SV with two shots guarantee that no one will hurt Black_Willow. Splendid job for the first time Squaddie!

dosbox2010-01-1821-14-46-54.jpg

Before Aliens turn, Ashery move forward and spot Sectoid, with oh-my-god Heavy Plasma. Because Ash lacks of AP to shot, we find him a safe spot by hedge. a bit crappy situation since we got dragonfk and SV on the bridge. dragonfk is taken downy by spotted Sectoid with one shot :salute:

dosbox2010-01-2118-18-00-26.jpg

Silellak pays back to the Sectoid with two deadly shots.

dosbox2010-01-2118-28-45-51.jpg

We move along cautiously to the small UFO. BUMFACE and Rabidredneck stay in Skyranger-1 to avoid clusterfuck.

dosbox2010-01-2118-31-56-87.jpg

When Ashery moves forward, three shots fly towards him and one hits. Gladly, he survives without fatal wounds. He takes cover by brick wall.

dosbox2010-01-2118-35-53-54.jpg

Before Alien turn, LazyD throws armed High Explosive. Let's hope it takes down that hidden Sectoid. Well it didn't work out as we can see, but the explosion was nice. Alien took advantage of the destroyed fence and start looking for Ash.

dosbox2010-01-2118-37-28-62.jpg

This one is embarrassing for me a bit. When Ashery stand up he find out exact location of this Sectoid. First, I give chance to LazyD to take him down but he missed all the time. Next one was SV and same story. Then I thought why not give chance to Rabidredneck? in short, his two autoshots wounded Ashery, with 3 points of fatal damage :rage: but even heavy wounds didn't stop Ash to kill Sectoid.

dosbox2010-01-2118-41-46-67.jpg

Six turn. To save Ashery life, we rush inside the UFO to find last alien(s). Black_Willow enters second room and kills Sectoid that faced him. After that he leaves room and Silellak takes care of the last one.

dosbox2010-01-2118-57-33-00.jpg

dosbox2010-01-2118-42-09-35.jpg

Ok recovery and we managed to save Ashery life. Also we get two well deserved promotions :salute:

dosbox2010-01-2118-42-49-32.jpg

It seems Ashery won't see action for a month.

dosbox2010-01-2119-06-15-31.jpg

dosbox2010-01-2119-06-19-26.jpg

dragonfk and Ashery replacement, not bad stats boys!

dosbox2010-01-2119-09-41-87.jpg

Few days later we get Alien Containment. Nothing else happens except for some shopping. More scientist to boost research and extra living quarters are on the way.

dosbox2010-01-2119-14-06-29.jpg

dosbox2010-01-2119-14-42-92.jpg

At last some alien activity! we detect a very small UFO, probably it will try to find our base. We shoot it down to the sea, have a nice chat with the fishes.

dosbox2010-01-2119-16-59-82.jpg

dosbox2010-01-2119-17-55-96.jpg

Two days later we get another one, this time small one. Interceptor-2 hit it two times with 2x Avalanche missiles but UFO manage to run away from third attack. Interceptor-1 overtake and shoot bastard down.

Next update: Recovery!

dragonfk

Erudite
Big Nose George said:
Elfs, gotta hate em.

c5555.jpg

Forgot to pick the right value for the background.

WTF! You jinxed me ! :evil:

I throw uber curse spell on you too! :twisted:

PS. I fuckin love it, it sure gonna get me famous! And to think that I was considering about changing my avatar for something else. Now I won't do that thanks to you good sir!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I've been playing this game since it was first released but only finished it on normal for the first time a few months ago. Truly amazing how hard and addictive it can be. You might want to take a look at this patch page. Lots of fixes for smaller issues that don't change too many things but do improve playability.

http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?cid=40

Oh, and recruit Trash reporting for duty and most likely a horrid painfull death.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Damn! Big Nose George has some amazing (and a bit creepy) messianic skills!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom