Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Night Empire

grotsnik

Arcane
Yeah, the districts I came up with aren't quite the same as the real boroughs, for the simple reason that the vast, vast majority of London's old power and new prestige is in a relatively tiny area at the centre (as you might expect). If I'd done it true to life, you'd have two relevant barons, one for the City of Westminster and one for the City of London (which I wanted to be more of an independent area anyway, what with the Giovanni presence), and about fifteen barons controlling suburban zones that aren't even really London proper, with absolutely nothing of interest in them. So the Baron of Whitehall gets Westminster itself, along with Chelsea, Pimlico, and the other high-income residential areas north of the river, plus control of Victoria station; meanwhile, the Baron of Mayfair gets the cultural stuff, the theatres and restaurants and museums and shopping districts to the north of Westminster and including some of Camden. It's not perfect, but it made more sense to me seeing as there's just so much of importance there.

ironyuri

I know Orgasm/BBC is probably correct: Vogler couldn't be Sabbat if he got into a position of power. But I look at Storyfag's VtM narrative and Bishop Konrad/Primogen Konrad. I don't think it's totally through the looking glass conspiracy theory to propose that Vogler could be antitribu. The gangrel are a non-aligned clan in modern nights, and who knows?

I'm willing to flop on the Phone call to Costello if others have a wildly different idea though. I think we need to keep making use of our phonecalls, though, if we're going to maximise Sommers' power each update.

Also, @Lac, on some points you raised before. We don't need to back a horse 100% right away. The race has not even fully begun, we need to judge the horses first and find out which of them are running. Once we know where the good odds are we can either spread our bets for maximum profit, or we can put our money on Vogler, the outside chance, and hobble the competition ourselves to make our horse a more likely winner. We have the ghoul squad for that.

Esquilax

Arcane
I know Orgasm/BBC is probably correct: Vogler couldn't be Sabbat if he got into a position of power. But I look at Storyfag's VtM narrative and Bishop Konrad/Primogen Konrad. I don't think it's totally through the looking glass conspiracy theory to propose that Vogler could be antitribu. The gangrel are a non-aligned clan in modern nights, and who knows?

I'm willing to flop on the Phone call to Costello if others have a wildly different idea though. I think we need to keep making use of our phonecalls, though, if we're going to maximise Sommers' power each update.

Let's get Eddie on it. While he's good muscle, he's also proven himself quite capable of finesse tasks (i.e. aiding us with the Angelos hit, framing that guy for the murder of the Foreign Office Kine's little girl), so I think he might be capable of a little sleuthing here. Oscar would be more capable at this sort of thing, but Eddie is less likely to sell us out. Also, we haven't contacted the guy in forever, we need to maintain those bonds with him. Plus, I miss the prissy Torrie fuck. :love:

Also, @Lac, on some points you raised before. We don't need to back a horse 100% right away. The race has not even fully begun, we need to judge the horses first and find out which of them are running. Once we know where the good odds are we can either spread our bets for maximum profit, or we can put our money on Vogler, the outside chance, and hobble the competition ourselves to make our horse a more likely winner. We have the ghoul squad for that.

Fuck yeah to that. Even if our man doesn't win, if we take out another Baron who owns a valuable in Central London, I think that everybody is going to be so focused on dicking each other over for that newly opened piece of real estate that they'll simply forget about trying to boot Tony out of Whitehall. "Whitehall? Why bother going there? Let Sommers have it - Mayfair is ripe for the taking!" they'll say.

Even better if we can cause a crisis to stoke fears of Hunters and potential Masquerade breaches. Why, with our Kine connections all designed to maintain the Masquerade, everyone would rely on us to assuage their fears of everything going to shit. It would be glorious, bros. :smug:

Gondolin

Arcane
Even better if we can cause a crisis to stoke fears of Hunters and potential Masquerade breaches. Why, with our Kine connections all designed to maintain the Masquerade, everyone would rely on us to assuage their fears of everything going to shit. It would be glorious, bros. :smug:

The tried and true method of getting ahead.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, let's make some shit up. We don't have a scheme currently, let's hatch our own and work towards it. I'm in favour of creating a crisis.

As for the current vote, I'll hold off until I have time to consider it more fully

Kz3r0

Arcane
Serious proposal, negotiate hard with Vogler, we must know who's backing him, considering that he's asking to become prince he has to give us some guarantee.
Obviously, investigate on him on our own and his patrons.
Future projects, kill Turcov with our ghoul squad and put the blame on hunters, in this way possible prince candidates will probably back down gladly letting our candidate become a possible target.,or so they will think, this will also boost our position because thanks to our connections we can provide protection during the day to the barons.
And as safeguard in case something go wrong let's try to establish contact with the Sabbat or Setites or any other organization that could provide us with shelter.

Esquilax

Arcane
Yeah, let's make some shit up. We don't have a scheme currently, let's hatch our own and work towards it. I'm in favour of creating a crisis.

What I propose is basically the Kindred version of the Reichstag fire. We find a Kindred from a prominent Barony, scope out their dwelling ourselves*, DOMINATE a ghoul or two to determine where our target sleeps during the day, then set up a meeting with our ghoul squad. The plan will be thus: we will give them a layout of the area and information based on our observations within the target's dwelling. Then, at the crack of dawn, our boys will break open the doors and napalm the place with incendiary rounds. With proper planning and their considerable training, they should be able to storm in, hit our target, and leave the scene in less than five minutes.

Personally, I wouldn't go after Turcov. The Sheriff is his childe and therefore likely a tough bastard, and both Kindred possess Fortitude, which would give them a degree of resistance to our troop's weaponry. There's probably a few potential targets we can choose from - we can decide once grot shows us a list of Barons within the city.

Anyways, once our target is dead, there will be a meeting of the Barons. Amongst the panic and confusion, we'll let loose some oratory: "This is a terrible tragedy; who could have done such a thing?", "Surely not the Sabbat - this was a daylight assault", "Betrayal? It can't be so - where would one of the Barons find ghouls this powerful?", "No, this is far worse my friends... this is not simply an attack on one Kindred, this is an attack on the Masquerade itself! It could only be the work of Hunters. I assure you, I will use every penny, every ounce of influence I have to ensure the safety of our community. Fellow Barons, I humbly ( :smug: ) put my resources and my political connections at your disposal - what affects one of us, affects us all."

In the ensuing confusion, people are going to be scared. They're going to want a Prince who will protect the Masquerade, someone who will ensure security from both the Sabbat and Hunters. Someone strong, someone who will bring more than just feeble words. We've had enough pretentious talkers from the same pretentious Clans preaching the same pretentious bullshit - we need someone who will bring bravery and honor back to London. We need someone different.

... We need someone like Wilhelm Vogler. We need someone who will welcome back the great warriors of Clan Gangrel back into the bosom of the Camarilla to make us strong! ... To make us strong, and to tear the hearts of any Hunter who would dare attack a single Kindred within this city! From this tragedy, we will rise more powerful than ever! The heat of the sun subsides and a new night begins!

Heil Vogler!

* This is what we'll do - ingratiate ourselves with a Baron by feigning support for their candidate. We'll offer to discuss strategies on how to ensure the success of "our candidate" at said Baron's home - after all, we're just a lowly upstart, we wouldn't dream of making them take the trek all the way over to Witanhurst. Once we're in, we snoop around a bit, perhaps find a moment or two to Dominate a ghoul regarding details on traps.

grotsnik

Arcane
What I propose is basically the Kindred version of the Reichstag fire.

This can only end well.

As ever, ingenious schemes and group-led plans are absofuckinglutely welcomed with delight, if they come with some sort of majority support. Will therefore try to write up both the full barons list and a full list of Princely candidates for y'all by tomorrow morning, as I'm guessing the latter will also be quite helpful and Sommers is meant to already have it.

Esquilax

Arcane
This can only end well.

Hey, it resulted in an unlikely candidate getting elected! The same can happen here!

Who am I fucking kidding, it'll probably turn out that Vogler is some brilliant antitribu who has been planning a takeover of the Camarilla with Bishop Dubrik for the last fifty years. Actually, that would be hilarious.

Kz3r0

Arcane
This can only end well.

Hey, it resulted in an unlikely candidate getting elected! The same can happen here!

Who am I fucking kidding, it'll probably turn out that Vogler is some brilliant antitribu who has been planning a takeover of the Camarilla with Bishop Dubrik for the last fifty years. Actually, that would be hilarious.
Why we can't be part of the plan as well?:troll:

grotsnik

Arcane
Suddenly I find myself very afraid that Antitribu Vogler is going to become the next vase.

Esquilax

Arcane

That's plan B in case he's an antitribu.

Vogler: Ha! You fool! You have delivered this entire city into the hands of the Sword of Caine! We shall devour the soul of every Camarilla pawn in this fucking city, starting with you, the idiot who was dumb enough to hand it over without us so much as lifting a finger!

Tony: Er... um... you see, uh, I knew you were an antitribu the whole time, I just didn't want to say anything to you in case anybody was watching. Can't be too careful with all these Nosferatu around. So, say, uh, Will... old buddy old pal, how about we let bygones be bygones and you offer me a position as say, assistant Bishop or something. Deal? We cool?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Esquilax, that shit is fucking brilliant.

:hero:

It's well past midnight and I most likely woke up half of my neighbors by laughing. At least we would be backing the winning horse :troll:

Anthony would come down in the annals of Sabbat history as the little backstabbing Ventrue Antribbu that could. Odds are Venice would be cursing his name until Gehenna itself if it ever found about the plot.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Suddenly I find myself very afraid that Antitribu Vogler is going to become the next vase.
Great suggestion, let's talk about the vase with Vogler , if he was sent by Dubrik he would be surely interested.:troll:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Going back to the original "create a crisis" idea?

Kinda ambitious to use it to influence the election, but it seems doable...

But my objections remain... After using the team thus, getting rid of them securely should be a priority. There are going to be lots of kindred with fucking weird abilities looking for them. Auspex, thaumaturges, malkavians, hell, maybe even necromancers.

And don't forget, Sommers is 13 gen. A little bit of Dominate and the game is over. So betraying our larger faction is extremely risky.

Now if we could recruit the venetian councilor with the carrot of Gangrel reintegration.
Or if this is too dangerous, us getting in charge of the "investigation" would be best.

Gondolin

Arcane
Esquilax, you are a devious bro among devious bros.

However, what SCO said is also important so I say that we need to deliver a killer as well. We need to identify a Hunter (don't ask me how). Our ghoul squad must approach this guy and tel him "We're sort of Hunters ourselves and we're out for the blood of this powerful vampire. You in?" During the raid, the Hunter gets a bullet in the back of his head and his corpse ends up before the Barons. We don't want the kindred to start an open-ended search for a killer. They must be convinced that they already know who did it. The Venetian envoy should be told not to make waves with some stupid investigation and to push Vogler as the best candidate fast.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What I propose is basically the Kindred version of the Reichstag fire.

Massive :incline:.

Not only does it make Vogler into a genuine candidate, it may even give him a shot at actually winning. And even if he doesn't, we still establish ourselves in the eyes of the other kindred as someone who is providing a solution (while creating the chaos we'll need to hang on to our barony - the other barons won't just be fearful, they'll be fighting over the dead baron's turf).

We just need a smoking gun, as well as safeguards against being found out...

How about making all of the squad wear wooden tau crosses - like the ones in the intro to this thread - and have them leave one at the scene?

We could even have a certain well connected harpy start investigating said group of hunters beforehand. That way we'll have some other incidences to add to the list of crimes committed by the untermensch vampire hunters. Plus, that would allow us to say that we've been investigating them on our own and it'll hold water when they ask Costello if it's true - might even add to our credentials and get us put in charge of the investigation.

I'd also suggest that it may be unwise to tell Vogler about any of this. He doesn't need to know for the plan to work and he may try to doublecross us later with the info.

There's also another possibility to consider. (This is pretty greedy and could majorly screw Tony if it over complicates things, but I'll suggest it anyway.):troll:

We may not have to kill the baron. We could just stash him somewhere safe (not where Cripps or even our boy Eddie have acesss to him - if we had fortified the house I might suggest at the bottom of the blood well, but that may be too easy for Cripps to find) and then diablerize him once everything's died down. This wouldn't arouse suspicion immediately as hunters have been known to stake and kidnap other vamps. The difficult part would be overcoming the tell-tale streaks in our aura once we actually eat the old fart. Unless of course there's some other easy way to track down a living vamp that I'm forgeting about, it might just work... Or it might screw completely us like I said earlier.

laclongquan

Arcane
Too smart for her own good and look at how Eames fared. Keh heh heh heh.

The usual step by step networking and get acquaintanced with new pawns is working fine for Anthony,there is no need to get cute.

Too smart for her own good and look at how Eames fared. Keh heh heh heh.

The usual step by step networking and get acquaintanced with new pawns is working fine for Anthony,there is no need to get cute.
Being too smart for our own good is how we got Whitehall back. If we hadn't ploted to kill Angelos we never would have been able to oust the prince and then du whatshisface.

Speaking of Eames - if she really is rotting in a prison somewhere and we make Vogler prince, we might be able to get him to sanction our diablerie of her. That way we can explain away the black streaks in our aura after we eat the other baron too. :gahahahaha:

edit: (Again the whole diablerie angle is probably way overcomplicating things, but I like to think things through...)
edit2: But wouldn't it be hilarious? I mean Wild Nights started out with a fake kidnapping to start a witch hunt, but this would be a real kidnapping to start a witch hunt.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Double diablerie? From two Barons and a Infernalist/Tremere? Bye bye via humanitas.

:avatard:

BTW; drinking a Tremere blood infects you with Vicissitude, which probably already happened when he drunk the blood she gave us when frenzying.
It's not really important unless we want to learn the discipline or meet face to face with a Tzimisce Methuselah or the Eldest itself.

this:

How about making all of the squad wear wooden tau crosses - like the ones in the intro to this thread - and have them leave one at the scene?
Is too obvious.
One of the powers of Auspex is:
  • ••• (3) [3]
    • Artist's Intent: Learn details of an artist's state of mind in relation to a piece of art
    • The Spirit's Touch: Learn something of an object and its previous owner from its resonance
So it would have to be a genuine article. There are also worrisome higher level powers that check locations and past events... so i'd target the Toreador Baron myself. Not to mention wtf the Tremere/Malkavian can do.

We might also want to find the other diablerist in the London cammies, to blackmail him to teach us how to hide our own aura. After we take the step, the blackmail stops being useful and he has a equivalent hold over us, so if approached correctly there should be no hard feelings.

ironyuri

Double diablerie? From two Barons and a Infernalist/Tremere? Bye bye via humanitas.

:avatard:

BTW; drinking a Tremere blood infects you with Vicissitude, which probably already happened when he drunk the blood she gave us when frenzying.
It's not really important unless we want to learn the discipline or meet face to face with a Tzimisce Methuselah or the Eldest itself.

this:

Is too obvious.
One of the powers of Auspex is:
  • ••• (3) [3]
    • Artist's Intent: Learn details of an artist's state of mind in relation to a piece of art
    • The Spirit's Touch: Learn something of an object and its previous owner from its resonance
So it would have to be a genuine article. There are also worrisome higher level powers that check locations and past events... so i'd target the Toreador Baron myself. Not to mention wtf the Tremere/Malkavian can do.

How many times did you edit that post, SCO? I counted at least four. Good god.

Anyway, I want some credit for suggesting we sow chaos even if Esquibro did devise a plan for it. After all, I suggested we 'hobble' the competition. I keep getting jewed in this LP out of my due (see, jew due???) recognition.

Yes, well.

If we're going to pin this on hunters, then we have to hope our Mandrake search pays off, and above all, if we want a Hunters' cross, then we know what must be done:

We track down the real hunters. We imprison them. We use our ghoul squad to hit a rival, leaving one of the hunters' crosses or some such behind. We then present the real hunters as the culprits, while they could easily be found out, I'm sure the kindred would be less concerned with questioning them than just draining them.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
5. I added a new addendum just now.

Dude, we have to kill them (the hunters), and just hope there is no necromancer handy to question the wraiths. Soulforging the wraiths ourselves would be better yet. There are FAAARRRRR too many ways this can go wrong if we present them to the barons.

We need a real con-man wikipedia of classics.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_confidence_tricks

Lulz:
[edit] Football picks

This is a theoretical scam usually seen on TV.
In the football picks scam the scammer sends out a tip sheet stating that a game will go one way to 100 potential victims, and the other way to another 100. The next week, the 100 who received the correct prediction are divided into two groups and fed another pick. This is repeated until a small population have (apparently) received a series of supernaturally perfect picks, then the final pick is offered for sale. Despite being well-known — it was even described completely on an episode of The Simpsons and used by Derren Brown in "The System" — this scam is run almost continuously in different forms by different operators. In Rex Stout's Novel And Be a Villain (1948) this horse race prediction scheme is described by Nero Wolfe as a sure way to make money if one was so inclined to commit a crime. The sports picks can be replaced with stock-market securities or any other "chance" event as an alternative. This scam has also been called the inverted pyramid scheme, because of the steadily decreasing population of victims at each stage.
Hmmm.

I still think it can work. We've told our hit squad that they're fighting some sort of darkness, IIRC. In their minds they are hunters of a sort. So we can truthfully claim that these are hunters if we are asked or if there's some sort of lie detection going on. And it wouldn't be far fetched if we brought a priest in and ordered them to each carve their own cross for their protection. Tell them it wouldn't do much (so they don't die like fools, holding up the crosses at the baron), but that every little bit will help in their holy quest. The idea is that spirit's touch would reveal that they carved their cross under the direction of a priest. Artist's intent should reveal the same.

Also, I'd like to remind you that the London kindred already fell for this sort of thing when the Prince did it. The trick is we give them the target (the real hunters - in the prince's case, the sabbat) and get them so focused on protecting themselves from them (and securing the newly opened baron slot) that they don't focus too much on the details.

edit: I edit all my posts like crazy too, SCO. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom