Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

Esquilax

Arcane
Excidium said:
root said:
I haz a cunning plan that goes hand-in-hand with lac's ideals:

let us get close to sommers so we can steal THE VASE and give it to Dubrik to endear ourselves to him.

THE VASE! I know Esquilax will love to see it back in the story. :lol:

Dude, I've been looking for a way to get the vase involved again for ages. Here's the plan, bros: We get in touch with Tony via magical destiny meta-gaming that Lac suggested, then once we're close to Tony, we steal his prized vase and give it to Dubrik. To draw suspicion away from ourselves, Joan will fake her own death and leave little clues to indicate that it is indeed Dubrik who is now in possession of the vase!

Naturally, Tony will be furious and will stop at nothing to get back his priceless artifact. Tony and Dubrik will fight each-other in an epic clash for ownership of the vase... except we've rigged the inside of it with C4. We'll make sure Eames goes after the vase too - she wants it just as bad. We then swoop in and simultaneously take control of the London Camarilla, Dubrik's territory in Liverpool, and Whitehall. IT'S GENIUS BROS!!!

Unless...

What if...

Hob IS the vase?!?!?!

Esquilax

Arcane
Accusing someone else of being a vase is just the sort of thing a vase would say.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Actually, the vase is Anthony's source of power. Didn't you notice how much his (un)life changed after acquiring it?

grotsnik

Arcane
Esquilax said:
What if...

Hob IS the vase?!?!?!

You know, obviously it couldn't be Hob, but since everyone's demanding the vase play a larger role in the story...

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Earthbound

I think a wisecracking demonic vase sidekick is exactly what Sommers needs! Voiced by Eddie Murphy.

Oh yeah, grotbro, what's the ETA on the next installment in this fine saga?

Today, hopefully. Would've been Sunday, but as it was our first genuinely hot day of the summer, the fickle weather gods of Britain require everyone in the entire nation to strip, find a patch of grass, start cooking BBQs, and spend the entire day outdoors letting themselves burn.

laclongquan

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Excidium said:
root said:
I haz a cunning plan that goes hand-in-hand with lac's ideals:

let us get close to sommers so we can steal THE VASE and give it to Dubrik to endear ourselves to him.

THE VASE! I know Esquilax will love to see it back in the story. :lol:

Dude, I've been looking for a way to get the vase involved again for ages. Here's the plan, bros: We get in touch with Tony via magical destiny meta-gaming that Lac suggested, then once we're close to Tony, we steal his prized vase and give it to Dubrik. To draw suspicion away from ourselves, Joan will fake her own death and leave little clues to indicate that it is indeed Dubrik who is now in possession of the vase!

Naturally, Tony will be furious and will stop at nothing to get back his priceless artifact. Tony and Dubrik will fight each-other in an epic clash for ownership of the vase... except we've rigged the inside of it with C4. We'll make sure Eames goes after the vase too - she wants it just as bad. We then swoop in and simultaneously take control of the London Camarilla, Dubrik's territory in Liverpool, and Whitehall. IT'S GENIUS BROS!!!

Unless...

What if...

Hob IS the vase?!?!?!

It's an yawn-inducing concept, Esquilax. The only thing save it from beneath my fists is the punchline. even so, it's not that far.

grotsnik

Arcane
Chapter 3 - Two Steps Forward Into Darkness

A knock at the door of the Ritz Hotel’s presidential suite.

And a harsh voice cries out,

“Room service!”

The banker and his considerably younger, more attractive mistress spend a few seconds nudging one another beneath the bedsheets, arguing about whether either of them ordered room service. Finally, drunkenly, he slips out, covering himself with a pillow, and opens the door.

“We didn’t order any-” he begins.

The Brujah antitribu swings his iron pipe; a crack, a spatter of blood and tooth flies up into the air, and the naked man goes flying back across the room.

The woman’s horrified shriek is cut short; a gnarled hand claps around her mouth.

“Sorry about the intrusion, ma’am,” the Nosferatu hisses. It draws her close, wrapping its other arm around her neck. “But we’re the Sabbat and we're on a bit of a recruiting drive here, you see.”

They move from room to room. And from floor to floor.

The fat-cheeked Malkavian, wrapped in a patchwork dressing-gown, stares at you. His narrow, pinkish eyes glitter at you; his wet lips are constantly trembling, working over silent syllables.

“Come in, Joan, dear,” Eames says, calmly, from her chair. “Don’t mind Daniel. What is it?”

“Regentia,” you reply, bobbing your head at her, “I’m sorry, I…didn’t mean to interrupt, but I was wondering, if you didn’t have any duties for me, whether I could take the night off? It’s really stuffy down in the Vessel, and I’d quite like to clear my head, maybe go to the Whiplash…”

She considers it for a moment, turning her pen over in her hands.

“We’re going to be very busy in the coming nights,” she says, at last. “Everybody will need to pull their weight. No nights off, no special favours. Can I rely on you to push the others?”

“Of course, Regentia,” you tell her.

“Argyll, for one, is downright slacking,” Eames continues. “Someone’s going to have to put him back on the right path. I know he spends a lot of time hanging around you, so he’ll be your responsibility.”

“Yes, Regentia,” you say.

She nods. And something in her face seems to soften.

“Whiplash, eh?” she asks. “I used to spend time at the Whiplash when I was just starting out. I thought the P-N-P was more popular nowadays.”

You tell her, with a slightly embarrassed shrug,

“I just prefer the atmosphere in the Whiplash.”

“All right,” Eames says, tossing her pen down onto the desk. “Head down there. Mingle, make friends with the Toreadors. Relax, have fun…but keep your ears open, yes? I’d be interested to know what the Kindred on the street has to say about recent events.”

“Thank you, Regentia,” you say, bowing, and turn to go.

“Tell me, Daniel,” Eames calls, before you can reach the study door. “What do you make of her?”

You freeze.

A low, prolonged titter.

And the Malkavian whispers, in a rhythmic monotone, dripping with disdain,

“Why, Regentia, it’s a pretty little cunt, that bows and asks, ‘pretty please’. A nervous, pretty little cunt, lying all the while. Is it frightened of you, I wonder? Or frightened of something worse?”

You turn back, slowly, to face him. Old Rabies licks his lips, savouring the moment, and continues,

“No – I have it. Frightened because it dreams of…something. Happy dreams, happy hopes, keeping it afloat, but it fears the night it’ll all come undone. Because it’s too clever to believe in its dream whole-hearted, but it’s too stupid to stop dreaming. They say a rat that’s buried knows it will suffocate, but it scrabbles away, right to the end. Do I have you right, little cunt?”

Holding his gaze, you whisper, holding back your anger and shock,

“You don’t know anything about me, lunatic.”

His wild, raw eyes widen, as if with excitement. He’s leaning forward in his chair.

“I know everything about you, little cunt,” he hisses. “Whether you hide it from them or from yourself, you can’t conceal it from Old Rabies – it’s in the nervousness of your step as you walked in through the door, the way your fingers play at your sleeve, the twitch of your cheek as you whimper, ‘Yes, Regentia’-”

“All right, Daniel,” Eames snaps. “Leave her alone. Joan, you can go.”

You bow once more to her. The Malkavian sits back in his chair, with every sign of satisfaction.

Slipping up the spiral staircase, you push back the hidden stone doorway, waiting in the shadows for a moment to check that no Kine are watching, before stepping out beneath the great circular white roof of St Alphege’s church.

Father Nicholas is standing at the high pulpit, his thin fingers turning over a heavy, leather-bound copy of his King James Bible.

“The Baroness said I could head out for the night,” you call up to him.

He shrugs, disinterested, and doesn’t look up.

You turn, and head out between the low wooden pews; then it’s down the whitewashed steps and out into the baking summer night.

Your route takes you around to the east of the park, circling around twice near the Vanbrugh Castle road to check that you’re not being followed; your fingers clench at the thin alchemist’s knife, sewn into the pocket of your jacket.

The sim card is buried in a plastic bag, beneath the bench on the south-western side of the steeples of Greenwich Observatory; circling west down the hill, hopping the black railings, you head down, towards the Ravensbourne and Deptford Bridge.

The city is silent; the heat has driven the people out, to the bars and greenery on the outskirts.

The phone is shut in a biscuit box, in the wastepaper bin by the side of the deserted Harp of Erin pub. You snatch it out, quickly, and duck around the alleyway to the south, shoving the delicate little plastic card into the back of the mobile, before clicking on the only number saved there.

‘Home’.

It rings, and rings.

A click; and Dubrik says, in a harsh monotone,

“This stone is a key, for without it nothing may be done.”

You repeat after him, reciting the words from memory,

“If I should call it by its true name, the ignorant would not believe it were so.”

Silence. And a sigh.

“Yes,” Dubrik says, “and how are you, Joan?”

“Well, thank you.” you tell him meekly. “I’ve been…trying to discover more about what Eames is up to. What she’s keeping below the chantry.”

You explain about the escape tunnel to Lambeth; for good measure, you mention what you overheard about the Docklands and Giovanni.

Dubrik waits, patiently, until you’ve finished.

“As Eames’ power grows in London,” he explains, “the Tremere elders across the country will be looking to her to drive the Giovanni out of the city – their wealth in the East End has forever been an irritation to the mages’ rule. A shame you could not have learnt more…but if you’re right about the tunnel, that’s certainly very useful. I doubt the Sabbat will have the strength to make use of it, at least until the summer’s over, but still…excellent work.”

“Is it…enough?” you ask. “Enough for me to come in?”

“My dear girl,” Dubrik replies, sorrowfully, with an unmistakeable sympathy in his tone, “if it were up to me…but even my power is limited over the London Sabbat, and they do not accept charity cases. You need to contribute something tangible. You need to find evidence of the creature Samantha Eames is keeping beneath your chantry. Do this, and I swear – you’ll be welcomed in as a hero.”

You stroll downriver, towards the Ravensbourne’s confluence with the Thames. Near the Overground railway bridges, you toss the sim card into the water.

A little further along, you slip into the unlit building site under the northernmost bridge itself. Aiming high, over the spiked iron railings and the sandbank below, you hurl the phone outwards.

And just before it lands, and sinks with a splash that’s far louder than it should have been, a cheerful voice cries out,

“Joan! Joan!”

Oh, no. Oh, no.

Argyll pushes his way in through the wire fence, hopping merrily through the abandoned cement bags and coils of wire.

“Hello,” he says, as he approaches. “Thought I saw you down by the roadside. You out for a drink as well? I told Father Choirfucker I was heading across to Lambeth to borrow some of their books. Did you throw something in the river?”

He turns out, squinting into the darkness of the water beyond.

“You know,” he adds, “I thought I heard Eames say you’d gone to Soho. I wouldn’t have wasted an opportunity like that. Bitch has me working like a goddamned ghoul...”

What will you do?

A) Tell him you didn’t throw anything in the river, and that you decided you’d rather go for a breath of fresh air than head to Soho. He may be suspicious, but he has no proof of anything. He doesn’t even like Eames – as long as he doesn’t think you’re up to anything serious, perhaps he won’t think to tell her.

B) Push him forward onto the railings. You’re not strong – but then neither is he. He’s seen more than enough to implicate you. If he puts two and two together, he could betray you to Eames, or blackmail you…and once you’re both back in the Vessel, it will be very hard to deal with him. After all, nobody’s watching, and nobody knows he’s here. Once he’s staked, you can kill him and dump him in the river. You’ve come too far to back out now.

C) Invent something. Come up with a lie about an old Kine heirloom that you wanted to dispose of. He could be suspicious that he’s never seen such a thing before, of course, and he’ll still be aware that you lied to Eames…and who knows if you’ll be able to come up with something convincing?

D) Confess the truth to him. You know he doesn’t like Eames, or the Chantry, or the life of a Tremere. Is it so absurd that he’ll want to come with you – to live free, in the Sabbat?

Breaking Axe

Educated
I'd vote A, except use misdirection. Don't say anything about what she threw unless pressed, just answer his last statement as if it were a question, then invite him to join her at the Soho. He'll likely forget it soon enough so long as she doesn't act suspicious. Then casually find out what he did in the Docklands whilst bitching about work.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Breaking Axe said:
I'd vote A, except use misdirection. Don't say anything about what she threw unless pressed, just answer his last statement as if it were a question, then invite him to join her at the Soho. He'll likely forget it soon enough so long as she doesn't act suspicious. Then casually find out what he did in the Docklands whilst bitching about work.

Pretty much this. B is fucking stupid. If he was sent to spy on us, his disappearance will spell out our doom. D is outright suicide. C has the disadvantage of not allowing us to pump him for the Docklands info.

Breaking Axe

Educated
As far as going out is concerned, we probably chose the wrong option. Going in front of a Malkavian seer with what we're hiding is a very bad idea, although the possibility of that encounter then didn't occur to me, admittedly. I stayed out of the last vote because I didn't feel I had enough information to make a judgment.

grotsnik said:
Chapter 3 - Two Steps Forward Into Darkness

A knock at the door of the Ritz Hotel’s presidential suite.

And a harsh voice cries out,

“Room service!”

The banker and his considerably younger, more attractive mistress spend a few seconds nudging one another beneath the bedsheets, arguing about whether either of them ordered room service. Finally, drunkenly, he slips out, covering himself with a pillow, and opens the door.

“We didn’t order any-” he begins.

The Brujah antitribu swings his iron pipe; a crack, a spatter of blood and tooth flies up into the air, and the naked man goes flying back across the room.

The woman’s horrified shriek is cut short; a gnarled hand claps around her mouth.

“Sorry about the intrusion, ma’am,” the Nosferatu hisses. It draws her close, wrapping its other arm around her neck. “But we’re the Sabbat and we're on a bit of a recruiting drive here, you see.”
:bro: :yeah:

More emphasis on how terrified the women is could perhaps have been used. But you seem to like short and sweet descriptions.

C. What's-his-face heard us throw something in. All the others wouldn't really work. I don't think D is the suicide some people are saying - but it is still too high a risk with too low a reward.

Erebus

Arcane
Dammit, Joan ! You have Auspex ! People shouldn't be able to sneak up on you so easily !

I'm voting A. All Kindreds have their secrets. Argyll will suspect we're hiding something, but he can't guess how important it is and I don't think he'll tell Eames unless he discovers more. Of course, we'll have to be extra-careful around him in the future.

Kinda strange that he would happen to meet us just after our phone call to the Bishop. It might be a coincidence, but he might have been spying on us for some reason.

Breaking Axe

Educated
Dammit, Joan ! You have Auspex ! People shouldn't be able to sneak up on you so easily !

I'm voting A. All Kindreds have their secrets. Argyll will suspect we're hiding something, but he can't guess how important it is and I don't think he'll tell Eames unless he discovers more. Of course, we'll have to be extra-careful around him in the future.

Kinda strange that he would happen to meet us just after our phone call to the Bishop. It might be a coincidence, but he might have been spying on us for some reason.

Alternatively he could just be secretly pinning after Joan and was stalking her. Difficult to tell at this stage. He does seem to want to spend an irritating amount of time with her. He's either sinisterly working for another kindred, or is following his own personal interests, at this stage it doesn't seem like coincidence.

Erebus

Arcane
How about this plan : we steal the vase, bash Argyll over the head with it, cut off his balls, fling them in Eames' face, diablerize her, go to the library, master the Lure of Flames, start the Third Great Fire of London, kidnap Anthony, blood bind him and bring him to a remote castle in Scotland to be our devoted slave ?

Alternatively, we could simply try to learn about Eames' pet, tell Dubrik about it and then try to escape. I don't think our chances of success would be very different.

Esquilax

Arcane
Breaking Axe said:
As far as going out is concerned, we probably chose the wrong option. Going in front of a Malkavian seer with what we're hiding is a very bad idea, although the possibility of that encounter then didn't occur to me, admittedly. I stayed out of the last vote because I didn't feel I had enough information to make a judgment.

Even without the seer around, it was still dumb to leave. We had nothing of importance to tell the Sabbat - we need to get our priorities in order. What the fuck are we doing here? What's our goal? Like I said pre-update, there was no reason to leave the Chantry for the phone because the only info Joan had was something that the Sabbat were not in a position to exploit. We told them about the entrance and now it's "OK well, do you have anything we can actually use. No? Get back to work, then." We've exposed ourselves for no fucking reason.

Since day one I've been pushing for keeping a low profile and staying close to Eames. Now we have to make the best of a bad situation. Argyll might be a friend, but it's too early to tell. His appearance here isn't a coincidence, as Breaking Axe noted.

We should not lie about throwing something into the river. We should do what good liars do when they're caught in a compromising position: cop to a lesser charge. We need to admit that we lied to Eames so that we could be alone for a little while, so that he doesn't suspect what we're REALLY doing. Even if we vote A, Argyll will at best believe Joan initially, but then become more suspicious as time goes on. With C, he'll just think we wanted some time alone. Joan's been raped before, according to the hints at her backstory. She can just whip out some sob story about how she wanted to throw something away something that reminded her of her past.

It is a little risky, and I don't know if she has Anthony's acting chops, but now is the time to put that to the test. If she's a shitty actor, she's no use as a spy anyways. If we pick A, Argyll will fill in the blanks with his own imagination, rather than with something that we tell him.

C: Invent something. Cop to a lesser charge - we threw something away that reminded us of our past. We lied to Eames because we wanted to have a little bit of privacy before heading off to talk to the Toreadors.

EDIT: Fact of the matter is that Leus, the Malk KNOWS we're hiding something. And now, so does Eames. They just don't know what. The way to perform damage control here is to make them think that what we're hiding isn't a threat to them. Eames has had apprentices lying to her so that they could have the night out a million times before, so I think that if Argyll is spying on us on Eames' behalf, falling on our sword a little will do a lot to draw suspicion away from us.

Erebus

Arcane
Esquilax said:
If we pick A, Argyll will fill in the blanks with his own imagination, rather than with something that we tell him.

Unless he's the naive type of Kindred, he's likely to do that either way. If we deny everything, he'll probably suspect that we're hiding something, but he'll have no idea how important it is. However, if we spontaneously confess to some minor misdeed, he might suspect the truth : that we're telling him that only to hide something much more important.

Esquilax

Arcane
Here's the problem with A.

Argyll: Hey Joan! I thought you were in Soho! Say, what'd you throw in the river just now?
Joan: I didn't throw anything.
Argyll: I just saw you. What did you throw?
Joan: Nothing!

That's my point, he'll have no idea what we're hiding, so his imagination will build it up into something we can't control. We haven't really been seen doing anything wrong, so why deny it? Big fucking deal, we played hooky from the Chantry for one night, every other apprentice has probably done the same one time or another. Lying about minor shit is ten times more suspicious than just admitting to it outright, that should be obvious.

I would be all for killing this guy, but I just don't know what kind of problems that it will cause. If Eames sent this guy to spy on us, and only Joan comes back to the Chantry, we're fucked. It's possible he isn't, but I'm not prepared to take a risk this big when the payoff won't be worth it. And even if Argyll isn't working on Eames' behalf, if that ranting Malk's insights come to the conclusion we've murdered someone recently, we're toast.

A is yet another weak half-measure, like the last choice. You may think you're playing it safe with these choices, but you're really not.

grotsnik

Arcane
Undead Phoenix said:
More emphasis on how terrified the women is could perhaps have been used. But you seem to like short and sweet descriptions.

Fuck yeah, I do! Though it probably should have been a bit longer and more descriptive, that entire bit. I blame a cramped office with no AC and building work going on outside. Is it this hot and humid in the North?

grotsnik said:
Undead Phoenix said:

Fuck yeah, I do! Though it probably should have been a bit longer and more descriptive, that entire bit. I blame a cramped office with no AC and building work going on outside. Is it this hot and humid in the North?
:(

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Ugh, Argyll again. I can see the look on Joan's face when she heard “Joan! Joan!” :lol:

Either he's spying on us or we have a flaw that attracts his company at the most incovenient moments.

Also big :clap: to grotsnik! He really has a talent to create interesting malkavians.

Anyway, I'm with Esquilax on C).

laclongquan

Arcane
Lie is suboptimal. Even if you admit that you did throw something it's not like he know what it was. Lie will dig us deeper into a mire we might well stay out of.

But Truth is suboptimal also. Recruit him for the Sabbat? Dont get me wrong but this seem too risky for little ol Joan.

Finish him off? That combined the worst qualities of both above choices.

Confront and Misdirect, is the key. We turn around and outright accuse him of stalking us, hounding us night and day. What is he, love-struck schoolboy? Lament the fact that for our imaginary sins Eames saddle us with the responsiblity of look after him. Complain about the ol bugger Lunatic just insulted us. And finish it off by inviting him to Soho, as an alibi if nothing else. And as a softener we will help him with his assignment about the Docklands.

With that barrage, I think we could drive the curiousity about the incident right the fuck out of his mind.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

EDIT: and what's with the complaint about meeting Eames? We still score a few points with her, assume command of Argyll which mean we can officially poke our nose into his affairs, and meet an interesting Malk. And so what if he accuse us of some generalities? Every vamp has something to hide. And since Eames and him are close we will meet him sooner or later. You boys would complaint even if they hang you with a golden rope.

ironyuri

Rod Rodderson said:
Excidium said:
Anyway, I'm with Esquilax on C).
Yeah, that pretty much sums up my views on the matter.

Yeh, I'm there too.

This is why I was arguing for the Docklands papers in the first place. We've just told Dubrik a piece of info he can't use, whereas if we'd looked into the Docklands it would have been useful to the London Sabbat AND to Earnes.

That was maybe a point I didn't make. If we want to be a good spy, every action has to be a double action. Useful to Earnes and to Dubrik. We can't just go looking for shit that Dubrik can use while making ourselves useful to our boss.

Fuck. Fuck.

Anyway, doing the best with a bad situation, C is our only option here. You know, why the fuck did everyone want to go and see Earnes? Esquilax and I both argued against it and we were almost revealed by the Malk. Christ. I hate all you fucks.

I can't stay mad at you. :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom