Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

grotsnik

Arcane
I actually had it done this morning, but I forgot to send it to my work email to post it. Ah, well.

Chapter 2 - As It Is Written

Your fingers caress the panel. Slowly, with a heaving of gears, the enormous bookshelves begin to shift forward across the library. Creating a path for you.

You walk through the shelves. More books than you could have ever read in a lifetime – when you were alive. Centuries-old; millennia-old; secret histories of the netherworld, encrypted diaries, filled with the plotting of Kindred long dead and forgotten, Hermetical formulae still undeciphered. And – though for fuck knows how long – you’re free to delve into this infinity of information.

It was in an enclosed space like this – your cubicle at the Provexis offices, brown, cramped, and horrid – that Eames came to you. She told you what you’d always known; that you were special, that you weren’t like the worthless creatures all around you. That you had a great destiny in store for you – and that you could wield power over them all. That you could be free to do what you want, to take whatever you desired, so long as you didn’t give away the secret of her people, and the dark world hidden beneath this one. That she had something she wanted to show you.

And then you were pushed into a filthy third-storey room in Hoxton with her childe – Geoff, a sickly, nervous creature who was whisked off to a new appointment in Brighton after just a few weeks – and they turned you. And before long it became clear that you weren’t special at all, and that your so-called ‘freedom’ was false.

Argyll scoffed at you, when you finally confided in him Eames’ story about your destiny.

“Didn’t you know?” he told you. “We’re all special. We all have a great destiny in store for us – until we’re Embraced. It’s how they hook you in, Joan. It’s their marketing strategy.”

You find a leathery, rotten tome that might suit you; and another on the opposite shelf.

And it trickled through; slowly, in whispers. That there were Kindred outside the Camarilla, unbound by their laws, who did not hide and who saw themselves as a fraternity. They were spoken about by Eames and her peers as hateful monsters; which, of course, made them sound all the more appealing.

They weren’t disorganised and naive, like the Anarchs; they were as free and as wild as the city itself. And you began to listen more intently to the tales about Amen Court, the Sabbat’s great bone-white place of sacrifice, which had been burnt down by the Camarilla five times and rebuilt every time, to the same holy dimensions as before, where Jonathan Ketch keeps his vigil with a scythe that’s forever sharp. You dreamt of those you’d like to kill, in the open – why should you hide? – your old boss at Provexis, your step-father who cornered you in the kitchen one night when Mum was away at her concert, and wouldn’t let go, even when you screamed…and Eames. With her smug smile, and her ridiculous hair, and her promises that led you into this fucking world of darkness where you live as a slave.

At the very northernmost end of the library, old oak desks line the walls, for the apprentices to study at; the two closest to either end are safe-havens, where you can sit back against the wall, secure in the knowledge that you’ll be hidden from anyone gazing out over the shelves by the great brick pillars that hold up the ceiling.

You slap your pile of books down on the table, squeeze yourself up into the furthest corner of the alcove, and begin to read.

The night wears on. You skim through the endless pages, listening for that distant slam of the library doors, rehearsing in your mind what you’ll say if you’re caught. If Argyll comes – bored, looking for someone to talk to – it’s simple enough; you’ll tell him you’re working on something for Eames. But if Blackheath returns, or Eames herself…

Finally, you find something.

There are ruins beneath the chantry, vast and largely unexplored, that only Eames has access to. That much has always been clear. And if the rumours are true – they’ll be Lhiannan. That’s where she’ll be keeping it, you tell yourself.

An antediluvian. It has to be.

The ruins were first excavated in 1791, under Regent Warwick. And there were further public expeditions made in 1871, as detailed in the blueprints drawn up by an anonymous Kindred afterwards. A year after this, however, they were closed off; they were, the 1872 list of decrees makes clear, financially unstable.

So why do the records for 1890 clearly state that three gargoyles were used for excavations ‘necessitating the closure of the north-western laboratories; the floor of the Agrippa Rooms falling partly through in the process, to be repaired forthwith’?

You draw your finger across the blueprints, making a straight line from the shapeless mass of the ruins towards the Agrippa Rooms.

After a moment’s thought, you fetch a map of London and open it up on the table.

Plotting the angle of the 1890 excavations, you run your finger out from St. Alfege’s crucifix marker on the map, in the appropriate direction.

The line moves north-west, through Sabbat-haunted Peckham. It manages, you notice, to avoid every Tube line and station.

Until, at last, it reaches the chantry at Lambeth.

It’s an escape tunnel, you think, with growing excitement. If Greenwich is attacked, the Regentia can abandon her apprentices to their fates and slip away to Lambeth.

And if there’s a way out, there has to be a way in as well. Perhaps, as the tunnel cranes out through London’s underground network, the largest and most tangled in existence, there may even be a way to break into it midway.

This will do nicely.

“You’ll never guess,” Argyll says, jabbing his grinning, stupid face in through the doorway, “who I saw upstairs with Eames. Can you believe Daniel Leus is back in town? Old Rabies himself!”

You sit back on your bed, leaning against the wall, and summon up the patience not to tell him to fuck off and die.

“Who’s he?” you ask.

He pushes himself fully into the room, leaning against the doorframe.

“Daniel Leus,” he repeats, as if speaking to an idiot. “Old Malk – very old. Used to be a favourite of Mithras’. Big fat fucker, very sharp-tongued. Liked to…rant. To humiliate those around him. Actually, I don’t know if he liked it – maybe it was more that he couldn’t stop. But he could tear apart your personality just by looking at the way you held your pen.”

“He doesn’t sound very pleasant,” you reply.

“Mithras used him as a raver,” Argyll continues. “He’d sit in on the council meetings, listening to all the talk, biting down on his lip until it bled. Then some baron would say something untoward, Mithras would give some signal, and Old Rabies would start to yell. He’d yell, and yell, mocking their weaknesses, scoffing at their ambitions – and by the end, either everyone would be laughing at the poor bastard or, if he went too far, there’d only be silence. Either way, the baron shut his mouth.”

You close your book. It wasn’t as if you were really studying it anyway.

“So why did he leave?” you ask him.

He shrugs, examining his nails.

“I heard he told Kirkbeck what he thought of him before he came to power,” he says. “So Kirkbeck becomes Prince, and – whoosh – Leus has to leave London. And now he’s back…it’s a sign, Joan. Kirkbeck’s retired, and the Tremere are moving on up.”

He leans, for a moment, in silence, gazing up at your wall – then turns and ducks back out of the doorway, strolling along the corridor, whistling as he goes.

Dawn is coming. And yet, somehow, you’re not yet tired.

Tomorrow night, or the night after tomorrow night, there’ll be a sim-card buried near the Observatory, and a phone buried near the river. For these two nights, Bishop Dubrik will be contactable on the single number stored within.

You’ve been lucky so far; the one advantage of the war has been that Eames, apparently distracted, has often been away from the chantry, and Blackheath with her. The ghoul watchman, on his part, likes to take advantage of such occasions to slip away to the brothels in Spitalfields Market, even advising the apprentices to ‘head out and have a bit of fun’.

But tomorrow night, as far as you know, Eames is scheduled to be in the chantry. Which means you’ll have to find a way to get out and remain out for some time without arousing any suspicion.

How will you act?

A) I’ll simply head out, quite openly, as if to feed – logging my entrance and exit in the book at the door. If asked about why I took so long, I’ll reply that I couldn’t find anyone on the streets. I’ll only create suspicion if I over-think this.

B) I’ll ask Eames for permission to take the night off and head to the havens in Soho. There’s a slim chance that anyone I know could be there, and she might say no – but if it all goes to plan, it’ll give me more time.

C) I’ll wait for the right moment. I have two nights; Eames is busy and liable to be called away at any time. Once she leaves, I leave.

D) I’ll slip out. If they look for me in my room and I’m not there – well, I could be in the laboratories, or the library. My absence may not even be noted.

Esquilax

Arcane
Awesome! I'm loving Joan's motivations and the little hints to her past. She's never really felt in control of her life, and she desperately wants to break free and find a way to strike back at those who've enslaved her. However, because she's isolated most of the time on account of being Tremere and maybe blinded her desire for revenge, her view on the Sabbat is quite naive.

Unless someone has an awesome convoluted scheme, I'm voting C: Wait for the right moment. I'm not suggesting we vote this way in order to allay suspicion, though it is part of it, my main reason for this course of action is so that we can be around Eames and earn some of her favour. It's also an opportunity to forge a closer bond with Argyll, and perhaps ask him a few innocent questions about that "boring" Docklands stuff he's been looking into.

Think about it from Eames' perspective: you've been busy and away from your Chantry for a while, then this apprentice comes up to you and asks for some permission to take the night off. Wouldn't that show a startling lack of initiative on their part? The apprentice needs to be doing whatever they can to please you, not look for reasons to leave while they could be making themselves useful to you. B will not allow us to ingratiate ourselves with Eames, in fact, it's possible that it will make her write us off for promotions in status.

I was considering asking Eames for permission, but I'm not sure if Joan has the personal magnetism to pull it off. And even if she does, it doesn't improve our position with the Regentia, which is what we ought to be doing in the first place. It simply doesn't look good if we're out doing our own thing on one of the few nights she's actually in the Chantry. Eames is our #1 priority, both from a plot standpoint and a character development standpoint, so we should get close to her. Staying will also show that we've got solidarity with our Tremere bros.

Our Sabbat contact might be pissed off that we're keeping him waiting, but it's not like we have a ton of information to report anyways. Yeah, we know that Eames is aware of an escape tunnel, but it's not like the Sabbat are in the position to be able to exploit such knowledge. It's unfortunate, but they're just going to have to wait a little bit longer while we infiltrate deeper. Our standing will be hurt in the short-term, but it's better in the long-term.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
A. Leaving to feed is necessary for everyone, so it's an ideal excuse. Furthermore, Joan appears to be a young vampire - she wants revenge on people from her mortal life, so they must be still alive. So she's young and therefore inexperienced in capturing prey. Little wonder then, that she'll spend so much time outside the chantry :smug:

BTW, it's great to see references to Mithras and London's nighttime history!

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't see much point in contacting Dubrik (or the Ventrue antitribu posing as Dubrik) right now. It's certainly important, but I don't see it as particularly urgent. We head over to the river, get the cell phone, and call him. Okay, then what? I just don't see what he could tell us that could help us with our immediate goals of (a) ingratiating ourselves with Eames and (b) finding out what she's been up to. The Sabbat are Joan's ticket out of the Pyramid, but I don't see how they could be of help right now. In any case, we could simply head for the cell phone the day after tomorrow, no?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It would be actually better to pull off a fake death if you want to be independent.

And coincidently, stop using blood magic.
The sabbat won't cut it certainly.

I assumed that she wanted to investigate the tunnel - it's good to have a way out that only Eanes knows of.

Besides, a way out is also a way "in".

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
SCO said:
Besides, a way out is also a way "in".

Precisely. The tunnel layout is a valuable piece of intel for the Sabbat. Imagine it finds its way to the hands of London's new Archbishop. Then imagine a tunnel connecting two Tremere chantries getting filled with szlachta war ghouls.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's important that we dont burn the Sabbath bridge until we need it no more. So we still need to call Dubrik. And why do you hesitate, you all Sabbatlovers?

Anyway, root made good points about BBBBBBBBBB. We have authority to go out to feed so there's no need to skulk. Asking permission from Eames is not just to kiss up to her, though it is a nice bonus, but to have a longer timeframe to do stuffs. Who knows what will happen during that apparently harmless phonecall?

And dont forget Sommers, yo. That knowledge about the layout also has value to Sommers. Oh, it's not detrimental to Eames' Chantry like giving it to Sabbat but it helps Sommers, so keep him in minds.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The Meta is strong with this one. :lol:

I'm on B) too. Who knows, maybe Eames even gives us an assignment since we're going out anyway.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's a matter of choosing safety. Eames' side is not too tasty, given the reality we are in. Sabbat? You must be joking. We need a master who can shield us from Sabbat's hidden arms' reach, and have a good reputation to shield us from Tremere's reprisal. Sommers seem like the best choice right now.

Esquilax

Arcane
root said:
As for asking Eames directly for permission, I don't see why this would be detrimental to us: we quite clearly have the authority to go out without having to ask her directly for anything, as shown in A. If we do B, it certainly looks like we respect her authoritah over the authority of the tremere rules. That should be ingratiating.

oh, and fuck szlachta, let's have some vozhd fuckers down here asap.

A very good point by SCO. Revealing structural weaknesses in the Chantry to the Sabbat will make the place ripe for a devastating attack. But right now, that's a pipe dream. From what we know at the moment, the London Sabbat are in such disarray that they'd have trouble organizing a bake sale, let alone infiltrating a few war ghouls into Eames' escape tunnels.

However, you guys are nuts if think that asking for permission to leave for the night will earn brownie points with Eames. From her perspective, she's doing us a favour by letting us fuck off for the night, we're not doing her a favour by asking permission to shirk our duties.

Think about it: you ask your boss for the day off tomorrow and he gives it to you. He's not going to think "Man, what an awesome employee that guy is for asking me if he could leave me shorthanded tomorrow!" No, your boss is going to think "This guy better make it up to me and perform in the future."

And say we pick up the phone tomorrow night. Well, what then? We can tell Not-Quite-Dubrik that there's a secret tunnel beneath Greenwhich, but it's not like they can do anything to exploit that knowledge at the moment. I simply don't see why it's so urgent that we contact the Sabbat right now or how it advances our interests. How will talking to the Sabbat tomorrow advance Joan's agenda? If there was an immediate need to do so, I'd understand, but there clearly isn't.

The update was quite clear that we could also acquire the phone the day after tomorrow as well. Yes, making the Sabbat wait will irk them, but they'll be quick to forgive once we've managed to ingratiate ourselves with Eames and talk Argyll into loosening his tongue about the Docklands info tomorrow night. What I'm saying is that we can afford to make them wait a bit for now.

laclongquan said:
And dont forget Sommers, yo. That knowledge about the layout also has value to Sommers. Oh, it's not detrimental to Eames' Chantry like giving it to Sabbat but it helps Sommers, so keep him in minds.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Fuck no, that's a terrible idea. Don't do this. We've chosen to play as Joan, so we are going to make decisions that make sense from her perspective. I like Tony too, but we aren't him right now, so forget about him. It's pretty derp to play as a PC and make choices to benefit some dude you haven't even met. The real fun is getting into this new character's skin and making choices that fit them; if Joan's progress ends up hindering Tony's position, then so be it.

Oh, and LOL @ Joan teaming up with Sommers. That is ridiculous on so many levels. Forget it, it's not going to happen. We've gotten in with the Sabbat, so now we're going to put our efforts towards bringing down Eames and serving the Sword of Caine against the degenerate Camarilla dogs.

laclongquan

Arcane
You dont ever read my post, do you?

Sommers is a prospective, a safety choice if we ever drop the yokel of both Tremere and Sabbat. Survival first, safety later, and in both factions we will have precious little of safety or survival. If it ever get out that we are Sabbat spy Tremere will make us howling for Final Death. And Sabbat's Dubrik has just finished off one spy of his in a most spetacular punishment. Safety in Sabbat is a delusion you would do well to forget.

Joan is in dangerous water teeming with sharks. She need a safe port in a storm and at this moment Sommers, by our best knowledge, seem a good choice. It need not be him, of course, if there's other better options appear.

Dont think Joan is enamoured with any ideologies right now. She looks and acts disilliusioned.

Esquilax

Arcane
laclongquan said:
But we know. Who are we but masters of her fate, right? We are the one to choose and pick her threads of fate.

Anyway, she met him already.

By "met him", you probably mean, "bumped into him in the hallway once".

Esquilax

Arcane
laclongquan said:
Isnt that just a classic cliched fated meeting? Relive that meeting and you can just feel the threads of chance and opportunity tangled out.

Yeah dude, totally. What are the odds that Anthony Sommers would visit the Chantry where his colleague resides and end up bumping into one of the apprentices that live in that very same Chantry? Odds must be a million to one!

Or hey, it could be a fun little cameo that grot threw in as fanservice. But nah, I like the fate explanation better. Let's go with that.

laclongquan

Arcane
You turn up out of the spiral staircase, shoving Damned Lies and Pyramid Selling deep into your jacket pocket, and almost walk into another Kindred.

He gives you a sharp, slightly cold smile, and bows; he’s elegantly dressed, you note, blonde-haired, a walking-stick clutched in his hand.

Then he turns, and continues on down the corridor. Behind him, the tall, silver-haired man you recognise as Rodyon Turcov gives you a careless nod before following his companion.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
C

We don't need to rush this and I'm also in favor of trying to brown nose Eames and Argyll a bit in order to improve our standings in the chantry. Besides, we might find out something more of interest to report to our Sabbat overlords?

As for the preposterous idea of joining teams with our old pal Tony, fuck that. Why would we put our fate in the hands of a Ventrue baron we haven't even been properly introduced to, because he was polite enough to nod and smile at us?

Kz3r0

Arcane
B) I’ll ask Eames for permission to take the night off and head to the havens in Soho. There’s a slim chance that anyone I know could be there, and she might say no – but if it all goes to plan, it’ll give me more time.

No need to take unnecessary risks, if we can use the phone, good, else, forget it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom