Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizardry!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Crooked Bee said:
You will, o ye of little faith. The real action is only about to begin. It's just that I didn't have much time for updates lately. :(
Hey, take your time! I wasn't being facetious or snarky. The exchanges really are great fun and the LP extremely enjoyable :love:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks, Jack! grotsnik PMed me the link as well. Funny stuff, but not quite as hilarious as I hoped it would be. :P

Pete said:
"Josh Sawyer did not work on Skyrim nor this engine and his comments don't reflect how the current tech works."

Still, this cracks me up. :lol:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Vorpal Bunny can be tickled to death by
uw2_62headless.jpg

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Floor 2

02wiz006.png

The stairs down to the second floor of the dungeon are at (0,10) and are very easy to reach. In fact, when you play the game for the first time, you're more than likely to climb down to the second floor before you properly explore the first one or fight Murphy's Ghost -- and in that case, you'd be decidedly underleveled for what awaits you there.

map1-02.png

You see, the second floor has two new kinds of enemies. The first are enemy spellcasters, such as lvl1 Priests, Mages, or Gas Clouds; the spellcasters can put you to sleep or launch a fireball or cast a Badios at one of your back row characters (who have low HP, which can result in a one-hit kill if you're underleveled and the dice aren't on your side). The second are enemies that paralyse you - we'll meet them face to face soon enough. The level design also has a couple of new tricks to keep things fresh. First, there's our very first pit at (12,11) that you don't want to fall down in, believe me; being the first - so to speak, tutorial - pit, it gives you three warnings before you reach it so you could turn back. (The "clouds" in the map are simply "events" of all kinds, such as messages, locked doors, and the like.) The doors at (8,7) and (8,12) are only opened by the two keys we found back on floor 1; they let you access the two new items I'll show off in this update. Finally, there's another dark zone, and a tricky one at that, this time with a key behind it. Also, note that the small elevator zone is cut off from the rest of the floor, so even if you take it to arrive to B2, you won't be able to explore the place properly.

02wiz008.png

Anyway, here we are. Time to get our lazy developer asses moving.

todd1.png
Hey peeps, I've been meaning to ask this one thing. There are six of us, right? So why is it that we always move as one? It's just so...

pete.png
Unrealistic, man.

todd1.png
Yeah, it's like we're a dude with six heads or something.

pete.png
So last-gen, man.

josh.png
Why's that? I think it's pretty cool.

pete.png
Oh, just... shut up, man. You've no idea how the current tech works! Nor does anyone at Obsidian.

todd1.png
Bethesda Softworks are always at the forefront when it comes to defining what is last-gen and what not.

pete.png
Yeah!

todd1.png
I'm sorry to say this, Josh, but entering your office is like being sent back in time. People scribbling notes, writing something, like it's still the Middle Ages! No wonder you're stuck in our basement.

pete.png
At Bethesda, we only let the AI do the writing.

todd1.png
That's what we call radiant.

laidlaw1.png
Well, personally, I think it's positively innovative. You only need to press one button for six characters to move! The same button you open doors with! Ground-breaking stuff.

todd1.png
Well, if you put it that way... Still, I can always hear Gaider breathe heavily behind me. Brrrr.

gaider1.jpg
*sings* Just turn around... I'll be two steps behind. Yeah, baby. Two steps behind.

todd1.png
It's... disconcerting.

pete.png
Yeah, man, so disc... what?

todd1.png
Gets me worried, Pete.

pete.png
Hey, don't worry, man. I'll always be right beside you.

todd1.png
:bro:
pete.png

Oh, I almost forgot.

02wiz011.png

We don't really need to, but we may as well identify the two keys we found back on the first floor. Naturally, they work just fine without being identified, and I know full well what they're for, but why the heck not. At the moment, as you can see, they are both marked as "?Key" in our inventory. In Wizardry, identifying items is the Bishop's job, so we must first move the keys from Pete's inventory to MCA's. And that's what the Trade command is for.

02wiz012.png
02wiz018.png

Welcome to the screen of trade. Here, we can choose which of the other characters Pete is going to trade items with. The inventory space is limited: each character can only carry up to 8 items, including the ones he has equipped. The equipped items can't be given away. The interface is even friendly enough to show you how many free slots each of the character has and whether or not the item can be equipped by the character you're trading with. Well, that covers is, I guess.

We hand the two keys over to MCA and then inspect him.

02wiz021.png
02wiz024.png

To start identifying items, we pick the Identify command from the Read menu. For classes other than Bishop, the Identify option is greyed out.

02wiz026.png

josh.png
You... don't have a clue, MCA-sensei?

mca1.png
Tsk. Ever impatient, Josh.

02wiz032.png
02wiz033.png

josh.png
I'm sorry I doubted you, MCA-sensei. I'm so sorry!

The keys are a Key of Bronze and a Key of Silver.

02wiz100.png

As we enter the door at (8,12), automatically unlocked with the silver key, we are immediately assaulted by a group of Weird Humanoids. Nothing major, I'm sur--

sawyer_paralyzed.gif
02wiz137.png

laidlaw1.png
Aaah! Zombies!

annie1.jpg
Did someone say...

brianmitsoda1.jpg
...zombies?!?

annie1.jpg
*play a mariachi song*
brianmitsoda1.jpg

brianmitsoda1.jpg
We see you have a most peculiar zombie situation.

annie1.jpg
A dead state, so to speak, haha.

brianmitsoda1.jpg
In other words, it looks to me like you desperately need a copy of Brian Mitsoda's new book, amigos. Only $13.95!

annie1.jpg
This book is hilarious - not for all audiences, true, but clever, well-structured, and not above a certain gleeful abandon, referencing ancient myths and cyborgs in the same beat. Great for a quick read, and even better for a cheap gift for someone who shares a quirky sense of humour!

laidlaw1.png
*entranced, hands over $14*

brianmitsoda1.jpg
Thanks, amigo. We'll keep the change.

annie1.jpg
In the state we're in, every penny counts, haha!

brianmitsoda1.jpg
Adios, amigos!
annie1.jpg

todd1.png
That was weird.

pete.png
Kind of sucked the horror right out of it.

gaider1.jpg
The hell was that?

laidlaw1.png
Don't you know, Dave? That's the space zombie mariachis. Call themselves DoubleBear.

gaider1.jpg
DoubleBear? What a weird name.

Even with Brian's new book, things don't go too well next turn.

02wiz147.png
02wiz151.png

Another fine game developer down.

todd_paralyzed.gif
02wiz170.png

pete.png
Todd, nooooo!.... I will avenge you, Todd!

02wiz184.png
02wiz185.png

pete.png
Todd! Dear! Can you hear me? That zombie got what it deserved! Todd!.. Answer me, Todd! Please! *sobs*

02wiz189.png

pete.png
In the name of Gaider, identify yourself!

02wiz190.png
02wiz193.png

pete.png
Oh my oh my! Sawyer, do something!.. Sawyer? Josh?.. Someone! Anyone!

laidlaw1.png
Looks like it's just two of us now, Pete. Let's carry them back to town.

Good thing there's a money exploit in this game. We're going to need LOTS of gold to cure this one.

02wiz200.png
02wiz201.png

Back in town, the Temple of Cant is the place.

cant /kant/
Noun
Hypocritical and sanctimonious talk, typically of a moral, religious, or political nature.

Hmm, yes, yes, I see. Makes perfect sense.

02wiz204.png

Pete currently has 500 gold, and the treatment costs 300 gold. We'll have to repeat that for each of the paralysed characters.

mca_cured.gif

:yeah:

DISCLAIMER: At this point I quit the game but forgot to save it. So I had to start the second floor all over again. Crap.

Back to the dungeon we go.

02wiz062.png
02wiz064.png

Naturally, being evil, we choose to fight. Despite being, well, gaseous, Gas clouds could be kind of tough for an underleveled party (thankfully, we are not), due to the fact they can cast the fireball spell, Halito:

02wiz068.png
02wiz071.png

Offensive spells tend to hit those in the back row, which isn't exactly a good thing. Back row characters are in the back for a reason, you know.

02wiz070.png

Damn. Hit-and-run is perhaps the most annoying enemy tactics I know of.

pete_kills_cloud.gif

Next turn, the Gas Clouds reveal their true form...

02wiz085.png
02wiz086.png

...which is the last thing they do before being laid to eternal rest. Luckily, in addition to being cowardly and prone to fleeing, Gas Clouds don't have many hit points, and are therefore easily disposed of.

We also get a "?Sword" for loot, but it turns out to be a simple Short Sword, meh.

02wiz215.png

Next we meet a pair of Creeping Cruds. They can poison you, the gooey bastards.

02wiz227.png
02wiz228.png

Still, again, their HP is low, so we kill them before they can do anything nasty.

02wiz233.png

The next fight is unremarkable, since it's just some Slimes we're facing, except for one thing: it's the first time we encounter two enemy groups at once. In that case, you get to choose which group to target. Generally, it's a good idea to put one of the groups to sleep and deal with the other one first. Things will get even simpler once Laidlaw learns a group target offensive spell, but that'll only happen a couple of updates later.

And then we finally reach (9,18):

02wiz310.png

Wizardry sure isn't serious business.

02wiz313.png

We search around and find a fancy bear statue. It will be required for us to enter this floor's dark zone, as well as enter a certain door on B4.

WHEN SUDDENLY

02wiz316.png

As soon as we take the statue, a group of three Priests ambushes us.

02wiz322.png
02wiz325.png

Argh. Things may get unpleasant, so we put them to sleep ASAP.

02wiz335.png
02wiz337.png

After that, it's basically a walk in the park.

02wiz339.png
02wiz343.png

We are rewarded with some exp and a chest with an Exploding Box trap, which Gaider disarms.

gaider1.jpg
Boxes are another of my specialities.

laidlaw1.png
??

gaider1.jpg
Don't you follow me on twitter? "Boxed cat incoming!" "No, no! Don't stick a poor cat in a box. It's cruel, and the Duchess won't like it."

laidlaw1.png
?????

gaider1.jpg
Eh, forget it.

02wiz403.png

Soon all the characters gain enough experience to level up again.

02wiz419.png

Peeeeete!
emot-argh.gif

02wiz423.png
02wiz424.png

Better now.

02wiz432.png
02wiz433.png

Todd improves his extra-low Agility a bit, but is still down on his Luck.

02wiz441.png
02wiz443.png

Sawyer learns new spells!

02wiz444.png

The new spells are Calfo, which reveals a chest's trap (still has a 5% chance of failure though), and Manifo, which attempt to paralyse a group of monsters. The success of immobilisation being dependent not only on the dice, but also on the monsters' resistances. While paralysed, the target gets hit for double damage.

02wiz455.png
02wiz457.png

Gaider is now stronger, which should help make his backstabbing more efficient.

gaider1.jpg
Even more efficient.

Sure, sure.

02wiz466.png
02wiz467.png

MCA only gains 1 HP, but hey, all his attributes are improved and he finally learn his first Priest spells!

02wiz472.png

The spells are Kalki and Milwa, and you should already be well-familiar with those.

02wiz482.png
02wiz483.png

Finally, Laidlaw's stats are all increased, but no new spells learned.

We also have enough money to buy Pete new armour.

02wiz489.png
02wiz491.png

The Sturdy Plate reduces Pete's current AC by one. Not much, I admit, but every hit point is soon going to be crucial.

His old Plate Mail is sold, of course.

02wiz510.png
02wiz511.png

Back on B2, a Lvl 1 Mage suprises us only to realise he's outpowered and outnumbered and flee a moment later.

(12,4) has a statue of a frog:

02wiz523.png

laidlaw1.png
"Yeah... Yeah..."?.. Dave, do I recognize your style? Did you write this?

gaider1.jpg
Eh, I may have, Mike. Wrote so much shit in my lifetime, you don't even begin to imagine. Epic shit, character-driven shit, romantic shit, you name it. 3000 words a day! May have written a "yeah... yeah..." or two as well.

02wiz527.png

Anyway, we grab a Statue of Frog. Again, we wouldn't be able to enter B2's dark zone without it.

But now that we have the two statues, let's brave it.

02wiz547.png
02wiz550.png

Even dark zones have random encounters, apparently.

02wiz558.png

We kill the Man in Robes before he is identified, but my meta-gaming knowledge tells me it was an enemy Mage.

After bumping into a few walls along the way, we finally arrive at (4,16):

02wiz568.png
02wiz570.png

What's with the catchickens and keys, eh?

02wiz582.png
02wiz583.png

The key turns out to be a Key of Gold.

02wiz590.png
02wiz645.png

Oh FFS. But I won't be saying the z-word again.

This time we manage to kill them without becoming paralysed, though.

02wiz659.png

gaider1.jpg
Hey Underlord... have you ever thought about planting a garden?

du2.jpg
I haven't really. Why?

gaider1.jpg
Things seem so grim here all the time. The dungeon could use a few flowers.

du2.jpg

gaider1.jpg
Haha, just kidding, just kidding. Sheesh.

The only thing left to show off on B2 is the pit.

02wiz660.png
02wiz662.png

The first two warnings are kind of indefinite.

02wiz664.png

The third one is pretty straightforward, however.

And if we take the fourth step...

02wiz667.png
02wiz668.png

Good stuff.

Phew, this was one long update. See you next time!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Cool update, but you let MCA die just to show what pits do? Not a very sis thing to do. :rpgcodex:

spekkio

Arcane
annie1.jpg
*play a mariachi song*
brianmitsoda1.jpg
Made me :lol: .

Great stuff. Too bad that dungeon crawlers (Wiz) aren't real RPGs (Fallout, Mass Effect, DA, Skyrim) by 'Dex standards. Add more bloom, EPIC dialogues and gay elf sex if you want this LP to sell...

:roll:

lightbane

Arcane
Good work sis, your update is fun as always (lol with that cameo, even though it was nothing but blatant advertising).

02wiz523.png

Frog___Chrono_Trigger_by_EmperorAtma.jpg

Probably related.

Great stuff. Too bad that dungeon crawlers (Wiz) aren't real RPGs (Fallout, Mass Effect, DA, Skyrim) by 'Dex standards. Add more bloom, EPIC dialogues and gay elf sex if you want this LP to sell...

Weird, none of my lps had these, yet they seem to be quite good according to the Kodex Kritikal Konsensus :M

spekkio

Arcane
But did they sell, borther lightbane?

:smug:

Compare views in RK47's Mass Effect / Skyrim LPs.

:(

All that Codex gives a fuck about is newshit

Crooked Bee

Patron
Thanks, peeps.

Jaedar said:
Cool update, but you let MCA die just to show what pits do? Not a very sis thing to do. :rpgcodex:

Sorry. :oops:

I just got really burnt out by the end of the update, and forgot to comment on that.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You do realize that if --by some insane twist of fate-- you manage to reach and finish wiz8, your saga won't end there...

:smug:

Wizardry 9

ranceB.png

... oh and a new wizardry game has just been released... link
No worries, by the time you'll get there, a fully working ps3 emulator will be available.

ranceD.png

Crooked Bee

Patron
Haha. Given how busy thing are for me lately, this is going to be one looong and slow LP. It'll be a miracle if I reach Wizardry 8 indeed. I'd love to LP Tale of the Forsaken Land though, it'd make for a pretty entertaining LP given the melodramatic nature of that game's writing.

That said, the next update should be coming in a couple of days. I'm just so overladen with work currently, ugh.

Meanwhile, you're all welcome to check out my Escape from Hell LP, featured @ LP Archive today: http://lparchive.org/Escape-from-Hell/. The game is quite cool and entertaining.

/shameless self-promotion

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Bee... You're cheating on us with another Let's Play forum. I'm shocked. Shocked and appalled.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Ulminati said:
Bee... You're cheating on us with another Let's Play forum. I'm shocked. Shocked and appalled.
lightbane said:
So, you have time to do multiple lps on that awful forum, but continuing the ones you have here (like the Threads of Fate one) is too hard, right?

Well, I am a crooked bee, after all.
On a more serious note, as you may have noticed, the only LPs I'm doing there are of games that either have already been LPed at the Codex (Escape from Hell, Shivah, Sentinel Worlds -- Black Cat used to say she'd do Sentinel Worlds and Hard Nova one day) or ones that the Codex isn't interested in (like Great Greed). So I don't see what your problem is, really. ;) Plus, with my Escape from Hell and Sentinel Worlds LPs, I helped spread the word about good old RPGs, which should be, like, the official Codex policy.

As for Threads of Fate, it's just on hold since I got a bit tired of it, and procrastinator's doing a splendid job of showing off Rue's route, much better than I could possibly do it. So again, there's nothing to be complaining about.

Also, you can't blame an LPer for looking to expand her audience. Personally, I believe the technical side of my LPing has been greatly improved by SA. And you can't say I'm not staying true to the Codex -- I've just started this Wizardry LP here FFS, and it's for the Codex's eyes only.
:love:

Blackadder said:
Already been reading through your Escape from Hell LP. Must say you severely incline the Codex with this walkthrough as well.

Thanks!

Crooked Bee said:
As for Threads of Fate, it's just on hold since I got a bit tired of it, and procrastinator's doing a splendid job of showing off Rue's route, much better than I could possibly do it. So again, there's nothing to be complaining about.
I can abandon it anytime if that will motivate you to continue with Mint's route :roll:

juggernaut

Educated
Man I've fallen behind on these LPs, and the Codex in general. This one looks like another winner though, as usual! Keep doing your thing on as many forums as you want Bee, you LP queen :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom