Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's walk the streets of Silent Hill (Complete !)

marooned

Liturgist
Yeh, probably one of the two post above.

Edit:
Mikayel said:
heh, my new guess: 3, 10, 11, 8, 2.

spekkio said:
10,3,2,8,11?

Come on, Ghostdog, put some order here!

spekkio

Arcane
j8fvj4.jpg

Mikayel won :(

Murk

Arcane
Yer, I'm naturally thinking left to right but the other two are viable options too if they decided to fuck with our heads with directionality.

Though sheet music is read left to right and I didn't see anything about it going "lower" than "higher" but whatevs, my brain is stuck in psych articles and my now 15 pages of midterm that's only barely over half way done and due in 6 hours ;(((

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
And the winner is... Mikayel ! (honorable mention goes to marooned, who gave all the important clues)

heh, my new guess: 3, 10, 11, 8, 2.

3 = first white pellican, 10 the furthest dove, 11 the raven above the dove, 8 the swan next to another bird, and 2 the crow that rests quickly (first non-sounding black)

hadn't noticed that it said 'without a voice', good catch.

exactly ! :thumbsup:

It's important to spot the "birds without a voice" part, that means that the combination is within the mute keys. After that combine the black-feathered birds with the black keys and the white-feathered with the white ones ... and then just follow the poem to get the final clues.

Murk

Arcane
oh sweet! can i get my :bro: now? Actually, I think we should all share the :bro:.

There is no I in Brocean.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Damn, I'm late to the party again.

Melcar's observation - the birds without voice is just bound to be correct. rest is easy.

First comes the pelican - first white mute key from the left (D) - number 3

Second goes the dove - farthest to the right - farthest left mute key (A) - number 10

Third is Raven - black key just topping the dove key which is nr 11

Fourth is Swan - again white key - next to another mute bird - so options of voiceless keys are 8 or 2. Except that we know the key must be white. So a Swan has number 8.

The last comes black Crow - the only option left - number 2.

So the order is (I think): 3, 10, 11, 8, 2.

Edit: Shit I knew I should not make this post so long :( Got beaten :(
Edit2:

@marooned
@Mikayel

:honourblade: :salute:

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
Never finished the game, ran out of bullets at the carnival and lost my patience.
Please do continue good sir :obviously:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
SCO said:
3, 10, 11, 8, 2

A little late, but correct.

That was a pretty nice puzzle IMO. All the clues are there, but it requires perception and some thinking to solve it. The first time I played it, I missed the "silent voices" reference. I thought it had something to do with notes and I tried to combine musical notes with the first letters of the bird names. duh.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Here we are again trying to solve the tricky piano riddle...

30rtk7m.png
Pelicans, Crows, Doves... what have they to do with piano notes ?! Damn this maddening riddle, my head feels like it's going to explode !!

jacketguy.gif
Dude, some things to consider: The bloody note describes five birds ("without a voice") and five are the keys that don't make a sound. Also, the birds are either white or black, as the piano keys.

30rtk7m.png
Yes ! birds without a voice, black and white... I think I understand ! I... er... no. I can't figure this out. Cheryl... she liked riddles... :( :depressed:

NPC_7721_m_GreaterTempleGuardLeader.jpg
Snap out of it man ! You have a daughter to rescue, beautiful asses to save and evil to vanquish... The correct answer is 3-10-11-8-2 !

30rtk7m.png
Thank you, strange demons of my imagination !

jacketguy.gif
NPC_7721_m_GreaterTempleGuardLeader.jpg
:salute:

Code:
Chapter VIII :

.oPYo.  o                           
`Yooo. o8 oPYo. .oPYo. odYo. .oPYo. 
    `8  8 8  `' 8oooo8 8' `8 Yb..   
     8  8 8     8.     8   8   'Yb. 
`YooP'  8 8     `Yooo' 8   8 `YooP' 
:.....::....:::::.....:..::..:.....:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So, we push the right keys...

2ai26on.jpg

...and then:

35d1but.jpg

Something falls on the floor.

2lbfh34.jpg

15ea9g8.jpg

A Silver medallion, just the thing we were looking for.

30rtk7m.png
It too has a picture of a clock tower on its surface...

We know were we should head to, then. We deal with some monsters on the way and reach the clock tower...

2qk5v6p.jpg

25rgyti.jpg

8we641.jpg

As we place the medallion, the clock tower goes into motion once more. The time now is...

2q80k1y.jpg

Let's recall the note that talked about this hour...

5:00

"Darkness that brings the chocking heat"

Flames render the silence,
awakening the hungry beast.
Open times door to beckon prey.

Hmm, darkness that brings chocking heat... what does it mean ? Wait a minute, didn't the map show a boiler room in the basement ? Could we find an answer there ? Let's check it out.

ifsymu.jpg

qof3w4.jpg

Oh yeah, there's definitely a boiler here...

2ajruyq.jpg

Let's do it !

:GROAN:

The machinery groaned like a monster awaking from its slumber. Something was set into motion, I hope this hungry beast mentioned in the poem isn't waiting for us out there... Where should we go now ? Going back to the clock tower sounds like a good idea.

28u3hg1.jpg

30rtk7m.png
The door is unlocked !

With a mixed feeling of anticipation and fear, we enter.

280t65s.jpg

The ladder descends into darkness, but we've got no other choice but to push forward...

iveo08.jpg

After what seemed like an eternity we finally reach the bottom.

2ibg29y.jpg

2mr8mzk.jpg

:SIRENS WAIL:

Suddenly, we hear the sound of sirens wailing... louder and louder as we move on. We now find a ladder that goes upwards.

xds0mt.jpg

:SIRENS WAIL:

The sirens grow stronger. After an exhaustive climb we finally reach the top.

nmf89g.jpg

The sirens have stopped. Let's see where we are...

vdl2cx.jpg

30rtk7m.png
Where am I ? Have I been here before ?

Hey, this looks like the school yard. Have we, somehow, come back here ?

2gxjm1z.jpg

WHAT THE...

1zzjlva.jpg

2hdyyio.jpg

30rtk7m.png
Is this the schoolyard ? It looks like it, but it's different...

Let's get inside to make sure...

1539mxi.jpg

bi58j6.jpg

Holy shit, where are we ?!

98an90.jpg

We get attacked, but we prevail. what is this place ?

2iviknc.jpg

A look at the map shows that the structure resembles the school... but at the same time it's something entirely different. The big question mark shows that we don't have a clue about what's going on.

zyhvdj.jpg

We head over to the back entrance only to find a huge bloody fan instead of a door. Gore and filth is everywhere around us.

k3i9l.jpg

15etohy.jpg

The brick walls have been replaced by rusty metal and everything is coated with blood and decay. Mutilated corpses can be seen hanging behind the big fan.

14w7tq0.jpg

30rtk7m.png
Where the Hell am I ?

Hell... that's a good choice of words.

marooned

Liturgist
:scared:

Damn bloody school... so fucked up. And it's only getting worse.

More!

A user named cat

The only thing scarier than this game is waking up to real emergency sirens due to a tornado warning and insane weather. AGHHH, this sucks.

spekkio

Arcane
Fuck year!
Reaching the "metal world" for the first time was one of the strongest WTF moments in gaming for me: "OMG I want to go back, want to go back!" :cry:

Anyway: moar!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Same here, the game completely takes you by surprise. That rarely happens in games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Welcome back, folks. Last time Harry was sucked into a hellish alternate reality. As he climbed up and down the stairs beneath the clock tower of the Midwich elementary school, he ended up in another school. A school very similar in structure, but filled with maddening things that defy reason.

Will our hero come through this ordeal with his sanity intact ? Let us see...

Code:
Chapter IX :

ooooo 8               o     o                       o                 o                  8             
  8   8               8b   d8                       8                 8                  8             
  8   8oPYo. .oPYo.   8`b d'8 .oPYo. odYo. .oPYo.  o8P .oPYo. oPYo.   8     o    o oPYo. 8  .o  .oPYo. 
  8   8    8 8oooo8   8 `o' 8 8    8 8' `8 Yb..     8  8oooo8 8  `'   8     8    8 8  `' 8oP'   Yb..   
  8   8    8 8.       8     8 8    8 8   8   'Yb.   8  8.     8       8     8    8 8     8 `b.    'Yb. 
  8   8    8 `Yooo'   8     8 `YooP' 8   8 `YooP'   8  `Yooo' 8       8oooo `YooP' 8     8  `o. `YooP' 
::..::..:::..:.....:::..::::..:.....:..::..:.....:::..::.....:..::::::......:.....:..::::..::...:.....:
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

We enter what would normally be the storage room.

2ibkkeh.jpg

Bodies are hanging behind the metal bars and various toys are scattered around...

2po1gd2.jpg

24xop3t.jpg

30rtk7m.png
A headless doll is nailed on the wall.

There's something of interest on one of the tables.

ng7nt0.jpg

Never say no to sinister rubber balls.

As we move down the hall of the east wing, we suddenly hear the radio static... Hey, what on earth his this ?!

28bbku0.jpg

We shoot first and ask questions later.

148ayh.jpg

1686g03.jpg

It looks like a giant cockroach. If you shoot them, they fall upside down --in spasms-- until you finish them off with another shot, or smash them with your foot. Another charming enemy.
Ok, let's enter the first classroom.

fyhlpu.jpg

30rtk7m.png
Cards are scattered on the table...

102pa9y.jpg

One of them looks different :

142vmrl.jpg

30rtk7m.png
On one side it has three squares and on the other side a picture of a key. I wonder what it's for...

Me too, but for now let's move on to the next classr- SHIT !

14ugyyp.jpg

Not 1, not 2, but THREE grey children attack us. We manage to defeat them but we got pretty hurt too. Things are a lot tougher in this "other" school.

izahwg.jpg

It's time we paid a visit to the front Hall of the school. More enemies await us there and we switch to the steel pipe in order to save ammo.

34ihkyo.jpg

sc80ux.jpg

We enter the infirmary and we're relieved to see that a save point can still be found here.

33c0obm.jpg

We also find some healing supplies. Good to have, because in case you haven't NOTICED... Hell is coming.

2n0k5fm.jpg

Why don't we check out the front entrance lobby ? I'm curious as to if we can leave this building...

vhbwnl.jpg

DAMN, more monsters !

b6dgsj.jpg

We hit them hard and then we take a look at our surroundings. A bottomless pit lies at the center of the room and cages hang from the ceiling.

2q3vjms.jpg

Some of the cages are filled with mutilated body parts. :shock:

1qhfyo.jpg

There's a wheelchair in the corner and we find an ampoule on its seat. The game doesn't say, but it's obviously an ampoule of morphine. It will recover our health to full and it will reduce dramatically any damage we take, for a short while. Good to have, but they are very rare.

27au1.jpg

30rtk7m.png
What is a wheelchair doing in an elementary school ?

That's a good question, maybe we'll find answers later. The entrance doors are barred, so we have no choice but to go back into the school. As we get to the reception, we find it caged shut. The way to the back room is accessible, however...

10nb239.jpg

What the...

25fsgg2.jpg

The painting we saw at the "normal" school has come to life in this reality ! Let's have a closer look.

2ztdi0g.jpg

30rtk7m.png
There's no keyhole, or even a knob... If I push it, it moves a bit, but it certainly won't open.

An even closer look will reveal something more...

5adkw.jpg

A slot ? Haven't we found a card with the picture of a key on it ? Maybe we should try to use it with the slot...

os5wnp.jpg

23sdeuh.jpg

All right ! The door has opened and now we can reach the west wing.

2eal0tc.jpg

Let's have a look at the teacher rooms. Hmm, there are a bunch of phones here...

2u4k5uc.jpg

30rtk7m.png
No use, they don't even have a cord.

Damn. Let's get out of here...

2s6ond5.jpg

:DRIIIIIIN:

What the.... is the phone ringing ?!

mc6hxi.jpg

10rsebd.jpg

1zp5lqw.jpg

30rtk7m.png
Hello ?

ajt0eh.jpg

2ih1mzb.jpg

2ive1ib.jpg

:CLICK:

30rtk7m.png
CHERYL !!!

The line was cut...

2dika6c.jpg

30rtk7m.png
That was Cheryl's voice, I know it ! Where is she ? Cheryl...

Goddamit, this game plays some mean tricks on poor Harry. Where can Cheryl be ? How the hell did she call him on a cordless phone ?
Ok, let's focus on simpler things... How much of the 1st floor have we covered ?

331ojfo.jpg

We haven't yet searched the restrooms. Let's go into the men's room :

1q1y5h.jpg

There's a lot of blood splattered around, but Something catches our eye on the floor behind the door...

15x5lz5.jpg

24vph1i.jpg

Hmmm. What is it- WHOA !

1566885.jpg

jpwzsz.jpg

The faceless, blackened body is still connected with what seems to be medical serum, what's the meaning of all this ?

208wpx5.jpg

30rtk7m.png
A hanging body... Why would somebody...

Why indeed. As we look around the room, our gaze falls again on the object that had previously caught our attention...

25grzvo.jpg

A Sawed-off shotgun, now we're talking ! Nothing better to lift the morale, than this baby here :smug:

29f3388.jpg

Hey, wait a minute... is there something written on the wall ?

2uh38cg.jpg

The Monster Lurks... There's a strong possibility we're going to be its prey... but not on this episode. Till next time...:salute:

Monk

Arcane
:salute: And that's a great reference to The Prisoner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom